PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on WCC Awards

CDC84
02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Landale is obviously going to win POY.

I feel very strongly that Norvell should win freshman of the year. Eli Scott (LMU, 13.ppg), Colbey Ross (Pep, 13.9ppg) and Marcus Shaver (Portland, 12.2ppg) all averaged more ppg than Norvell (11.8), but Zach is the starting SF for the #6 team in the country that just won the WCC title outright. Moreover, he scored 15 and 17 in critical road games at BYU and SMC. Sadly, I sense a sympathy vote for Scott for playing on one of the worst teams in D-1 ball.

Silas has a great shot of being defensive POY.

In most years I would give the COY to Lamont Smith at USD. He has done a terrific job this year. However, every single coach in this league except Mark Few picked St. Mary's to win the league this season. Few has to win COY after proving the disbelievers wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lamont wins it.

JAGzag
02-25-2018, 08:29 AM
I don't see how Landale doesn't win, I agree. If GU has one player who was just a little more dominate, you could make the argument that POY should go to the best player on the #1 team, but we're just so balanced this year. Zach is the best freshman in the league and should win. How many Zags make the first team selection?

cggonzaga
02-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Doesn’t JWIII, Perkins, Rui and maybe Tillie join all league?

WallaWallaZag
02-25-2018, 09:14 AM
i think jw3 deserves a nod for dpoy...though silas is equally deserving...jw3 will make first team all-con so they might give dpoy to silas as consolation for leaving him off the team.

sittingon50
02-25-2018, 10:58 AM
CDC, they did away with Freshman of the Year some time ago, though they still pick an all Freshman team.

That award morphed to Newcomer of the Year. I'm guessing Piniero (sp) of USD.

And I'll go out on a limb & pick next years winner: Brandon Clarke.

COY is Stoudamire. Only had 1 guy left on his roster from 2 years ago & had a real chance to get the 3 seed until the last weekend. Quite a turnaround.

SWZag
02-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Landale is obviously going to win POY.

I feel very strongly that Norvell should win freshman of the year. Eli Scott (LMU, 13.ppg), Colbey Ross (Pep, 13.9ppg) and Marcus Shaver (Portland, 12.2ppg) all averaged more ppg than Norvell (11.8), but Zach is the starting SF for the #6 team in the country that just won the WCC title outright. Moreover, he scored 15 and 17 in critical road games at BYU and SMC. Sadly, I sense a sympathy vote for Scott for playing on one of the worst teams in D-1 ball.

Silas has a great shot of being defensive POY.

In most years I would give the COY to Lamont Smith at USD. He has done a terrific job this year. However, every single coach in this league except Mark Few picked St. Mary's to win the league this season. Few has to win COY after proving the disbelievers wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lamont wins it.

I think Few also picked St. Mary's. I believe Bennett voted for GU. I could be wrong, but a coach can't vote for their own team.

Zags_Fanatic
02-25-2018, 12:40 PM
I think Few also picked St. Mary's. I believe Bennett voted for GU. I could be wrong, but a coach can't vote for their own team.

You're right, can't vote for your own team. They don't list who coaches vote for but it only could have been RB.

sittingon50
02-25-2018, 12:40 PM
I think Few also picked St. Mary's. I believe Bennett voted for GU. a coach can't vote for their own team.

This.

TexasZagFan
02-25-2018, 12:46 PM

You are correct. I think the rest of the league is tired of Zags cleaning up in the awards, ergo I think COY goes to Smith or Stoudemire.

The cupboard certainly wasn't bare for us, but we did lose something like 65% of our scoring, and 50% of our rebounding. Few had some really good moments during the year, such as the defense on Landale in the game in Moraga. That is worthy of COY in my book.

gonstu
02-25-2018, 07:25 PM
But I wouldn't be surprised if Lamont wins it.

If voting happens after today, I’d be VERY surprised if smith wins it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22580764/lamont-smith-university-san-diego-arrested-domestic-violence-charges

jpn17
02-25-2018, 08:11 PM
If voting happens after today, Id be VERY surprised if smith wins it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22580764/lamont-smith-university-san-diego-arrested-domestic-violence-charges

Not good. If the charges are true, that's almost assuredly the end of his tenure at USD. It is never acceptable to hit a woman. Amazing how many people don't get that.

CDC84
02-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Semantics. The general point is that it was basically a unanimous vote for Saint Mary's to win the league. The first time that has happened during Few's run as head coach. That alone, IMO, should give him COY over Lamont Smith, although my gut feeling is that Lamont will get the award.

CDC84
02-25-2018, 11:08 PM
CDC, they did away with Freshman of the Year some time ago, though they still pick an all Freshman team.

That award morphed to Newcomer of the Year. I'm guessing Piniero (sp) of USD.

And I'll go out on a limb & pick next years winner: Brandon Clarke.

COY is Stoudamire. Only had 1 guy left on his roster from 2 years ago & had a real chance to get the 3 seed until the last weekend. Quite a turnaround.

You are correct, and it is yet another demonstration of how stupid the WCC is when it comes to these postseason awards. A newcomer is often a transfer, and not always one without good experience and stats at his previous school. Whereas a freshman is coming in cold turkey. There needs to be a freshman of the year award.

Of course the dumbest postseason award is the WCC ten man first team. I hate it, and most college basketball sportswriters and analysts think it is such a joke and is so unbelievably stupid that they no longer write or tweet about it. Let's give everyone a trophy!

raise the zag
02-26-2018, 05:21 AM
Not good. If the charges are true, that's almost assuredly the end of his tenure at USD. It is never acceptable to hit a woman. Amazing how many people don't get that.

Not one DV charge, but three, including assault with force likely to commit great bodily injury, which in itself will give him jail time. This could be a # of things, yet likely caused some sort disfigurement, broken bones, very bloody injury, etc to the victim/accuser. It has to classify as a significant or permanent injury, intent to incapacitate, or use of potentially deadly force outside a handgun. Thus, more than a push, slap, or bruise, which is bad enough as is.

Domestic violence, along with GBI (& false imprisonment), will end his tenure at USD, and he'll be spending time in County.

Depends on the injuries, they are reported as non-life threatening meaning it wasn't only emotional support, she was physically effected as well. She was treated for some sort of serious injury, which is disgusting.

Not to mention he has a wife and two kids at home, but won't make this personal. That is none of my business, but the moment the victim is put in the hospital it is...

Unless this is some massive mis-understanding, Lamont Smith won't be at the WCC Tournament. No way. He may not even be given bail with some of these charges.

Hoopaholic
02-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Not one DV charge, but three, including assault with force likely to commit great bodily injury, which in itself will give him jail time. This could be a # of things, yet likely caused some sort disfigurement, broken bones, very bloody injury, etc to the victim/accuser. It has to classify as a significant or permanent injury, intent to incapacitate, or use of potentially deadly force outside a handgun. Thus, more than a push, slap, or bruise, which is bad enough as is.

Domestic violence, along with GBI (& false imprisonment), will end his tenure at USD, and he'll be spending time in County.

Depends on the injuries, they are reported as non-life threatening meaning it wasn't only emotional support, she was physically effected as well. She was treated for some sort of serious injury, which is disgusting.

Not to mention he has a wife and two kids at home, but won't make this personal. That is none of my business, but the moment the victim is put in the hospital it is...

Unless this is some massive mis-understanding, Lamont Smith won't be at the WCC Tournament. No way. He may not even be given bail with some of these charges.

great bodily injury means medical attention was required at the time of injury for physical injury

its not a crime in of itself in california but is a sentencing enhancer

CDC84
02-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Kind of an embarrassing way for the coach to be taken off the airplane. Gees. Domestic violence, needless to say, is really bad news.

adoptedzag
02-26-2018, 10:22 AM
To get this thread back on track, when do the WCC awards get revealed?

hooter73
02-26-2018, 10:59 AM
POY - Landale. Hard to dispute more because there isnt a more dominate player on any other WCC team.
COY - will probably go to Bennett although most will disagree when SMC misses the NCAAs again
Newcomer I would love to see Norvell get it but dont see it happening so I'll call the high score and give it to Colbey Ross
Defensive - Melson. Very little question about it.
1st team Zags will include Perkins and JIII
2nd Team Rui and maybe Tillie but I doubt Tillie makes the cut.

raise the zag
02-26-2018, 11:28 AM
POY - Landale. Hard to dispute more because there isnt a more dominate player on any other WCC team.
COY - will probably go to Bennett although most will disagree when SMC misses the NCAAs again
Newcomer I would love to see Norvell get it but dont see it happening so I'll call the high score and give it to Colbey Ross
Defensive - Melson. Very little question about it.
1st team Zags will include Perkins and JIII
2nd Team Rui and maybe Tillie but I doubt Tillie makes the cut.

Zags lost 3 of 5 starters, plus their double digit scoring 6th man, thus 4 of our 5 top scorers from a season ago.

We weren't picked to win the WCC, yet we won it. Outright even.

Mark Few deserves COY.

Zaglaw
02-26-2018, 11:43 AM
I could see COY going to Stoudemire. Pacific has done better than expected and with a very short bench due to the sanctions from the prior coach. I don't see Bennett getting it. SMC had everyone back and was expected to win the conference. They stubbed their toes in November and again in February. Plus, how do you reward a coach for poor scheduling. Newcomer probably Cullen Neal. Otherwise, I think Raise the Zag is right.

RenoZag
02-26-2018, 11:47 AM
To get this thread back on track, when do the WCC awards get revealed?

Adopted, last year the awards were announced on Tuesday, following the end of the regular season. . .no guarantee that is the case this year.

sittingon50
02-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Adopted, last year the awards were announced on Tuesday, following the end of the regular season. . .no guarantee that is the case this year.

I'm thinking you're correct, Reno. Should be announced before the women's tourney starts on Thursday.

adoptedzag
02-26-2018, 12:43 PM

Right on, thanks Reno.

Kemo 1966
02-26-2018, 01:32 PM
POY--Landale ....no category for 6 ZAG's in Double figures!!!!
COY- FEW, Smith even before Sat night's extra curricular activities...played a weaker schedule than the Tigers, and were SWEPT BY THEM! Stoudermire had a better chance if we could have taken 2 of the last 3...but the 'short bench' (6 scholarship players) plus two walk-ons ... didn't get it done! A nice job but I believe FEW's handling of the "RE-BOOT"..... will carry the day! IMO
Zag's will get AT LEAST 3 on the First Team! Hopefully the Tigers get TRIPP on the 2nd team, with Honorable Mention for Reynolds and Gallinat.
IMO, Kispert and Norville will cancel each other out, and someone like "ROSS" of PEPPERDINE will get NOY....(Pinaro of SD if eligible??)

RenoZag
02-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Women's Awards have been announced and can be viewed in the WBB forum

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?62495-WCC-Announces-Season-Awards-POY-COY-Etc

Lady Zags did very well.

77Zag
02-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Men's partial info -

Jim Meehan‏
@SRJimm
Following Following @SRJimm
More
All-WCC announced. Few Coach of Year, Norvell top newcomer. 1st team-Perkins, Williams, Hachimura. 2nd team-Tillie. All-Frosh-Norvell. Honorable mention: Norvell, Melson. MVP-Landale. Defender-Okonkwo (Pacific).

zagbeliever
02-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Silas got robbed.

sittingon50
02-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Full article:

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022718aab.html

ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Wow having three guys named to the first team all WCC. Thats saying something right there.

ZagsObserver
02-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Silas got robbed.

Last year Perkins got honorable mention. I wouldn’t say Melson’s total package this year was better than Perkins’s last year. Seems about right to me.

sittingon50
02-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Slightly OT, but didn't want to start a new thread: Advanced Stats

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19414024

(courtesy of jreid on the BYU board)

Zagcity
03-03-2018, 05:52 AM
Slightly OT, but didn't want to start a new thread: Advanced Stats

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19414024

(courtesy of jreid on the BYU board)

Hard to believe Williams not even in the top five in rebounding...