PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me out here, who is this zag I'm thinking of...??

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 11:48 AM
I don't know why I'm drawing a blank here, but please help me out.

This SEEMS like just 2-3 seasons ago, but heck, seasons start running together for me now, so it could easily be 5-6 seasons ago...?

So we had a player that Few and company (and the player) were fighting the NCAA about a year or eligibility, or maybe it was a RedShirt deal...? The NCAA was basically saying the player had lost a year because....either they had played overseas some already...or something?? I can't remember if they were just saying that player LOST the year of eligibility, or they were making that player sit out an extra year before he WAS going to be able to play.

I can't remember. Sorry. Can anyone decipher this and tell me who the flip/what the flip I'm thinking of....??

Thanks in advance.

23dpg
02-23-2018, 11:49 AM
I don't know why I'm drawing a blank here, but please help me out.

This SEEMS like just 2-3 seasons ago, but heck, seasons start running together for me now, so it could easily be 5-6 seasons ago...?

So we had a player that Few and company (and the player) were fighting the NCAA about a year or eligibility, or maybe it was a RedShirt deal...? The NCAA was basically saying the player had lost a year because....either they had played overseas some already...or something?? I can't remember if they were just saying that player LOST the year of eligibility, or they were making that player sit out an extra year before he WAS going to be able to play.

I can't remember. Sorry. Can anyone decipher this and tell me who the flip/what the flip I'm thinking of....??

Thanks in advance.

JP Batista sort of fits that bill. Certainly longer than 5 years ago.

lawprof99
02-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Nope, it was a Croatian, whose name I can't recall, who was on campus but never allowed to play because of having been on a Croatian semi (or more) team. The team would not "release him" unless GU paid for his services. Which made it difficult. Workland and I were actually in Croatia and nosed around with the locals. He was referred to over there as a great ball player. I recall the rules being changed later so that he would not be considered ineligible under present rules. BUt that's been a long time ago.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Nope, it was a Croatian, whose name I can't recall, who was on campus but never allowed to play because of having been on a Croatian semi (or more) team. The team would not "release him" unless GU paid for his services. Which made it difficult. Workland and I were actually in Croatia and nosed around with the locals. He was referred to over there as a great ball player. I recall the rules being changed later so that he would not be considered ineligible under present rules. BUt that's been a long time ago.

Mario Kasun, was about 10 years ago. Played for the Magic for a bit

bdmiller7
02-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Maybe thinking of McClellan. He really only played 3 years because of when he transferred. 1 year at Tulsa, 1/2 a year at Vanderbilt, and 1 1/2 at Gonzaga. If he would have sat out another semester he could have started in the fall and played 2 full years at GU.

PeninsulaDog
02-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Mario Kasun? But that's something like 20 years ago, so maybe someone else? It wasn't easy getting Sabonis qualified either as I recall.

GoZags
02-23-2018, 12:00 PM

Don’t know what WooHoo was referring to but you are detailing Mario Kasun. Ronny Turiaf took Mario’s spot as a freshman recruit (last minute addition) when Mario left for the NBA (Orlando).

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Don’t know what WooHoo was referring to but you are detailing Mario Kasun. Ronny Turiaf took his spot as a freshman recruit (last minute addition) when Mario left for the NBA (Orlando).

I beat you and PD. I win. :p

jazzdelmar
02-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Wasn’t there also a big kid from NYC who was later caught up in the Josh H mess? Issues w him as well, I recall.

bdmiller7
02-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Kasun was more than a few years ago. That was like 2001/02. Was drafted I think without even playing college. Remember hearing he didn't have much of a work ethic and if he'd been eligible Turiaf never would have been recruited. Could have changed the whole trajectory of GU basketball for the worse.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Wasn’t there also a big kid from NYC who was later caught up in the Josh H mess? Issues w him as well, I recall.

Theo Davis?

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 12:05 PM

Theo Davis from Toronto. The original "Biggs McGee".

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Appreciate all of the help here, but for some reason, I just don't feel like anyone has mentioned the player yet.

I think the closest is maybe McClellan...? Maybe that's who it was. Crap. This is SERIOUSLY bothering me right now!!!

And thanks for a bit of a backstory on Kasun. I vaguely remember reading about some of that.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Theo Davis?

Darn you! :p

You and I didn't even go to GU and we know virtually every player on every team./ We need a life. lol

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Theo Davis from Toronto. The original "Biggs McGee".

That's some excellent GU Boards trivia material right there. Good call! (and good memory!)

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:07 PM

You and I didn't even go to GU and we know virtually every player on every team./ We need a life. lol

:roll:

Ain't that the truth!!

jazzdelmar
02-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Hey I’ve been to GU, just not as a student. Theo wAS A NYC HS stud so I was excited about his coming. Right now Im 35K over Iowa so this BB news is passing the time very well TUVM.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:12 PM

That reminds me of a situation/convo I had with another zags fan a few weeks ago. I was talking to another "die-hard" zags fan a few weeks ago. He's a friend of my brother, and we often text all throughout zags games and whatnot. Anyway, I mentioned that Ayayi somewhat reminds me of PMAC. He had no idea who PMAC was, so I said Pierre Marie Altidor Cespedes. He said he'd never heard of him. I was like....wait, WHAT?? How can that be?! haha

Again, goes to show how long, and how hard, we've been following this team!! Good times.

zagbeliever
02-23-2018, 12:13 PM
McClellen came to my mind right away. Maybe because my short term memory is better than long term.;):rolleyes::roll:

seacatfan
02-23-2018, 12:14 PM
There was a delay on getting Bol Kong into the country from Canada. I think some kind of visa issue because of where he was from originally before his family moved to Canada. Much hyped, didn't live up to it. One somewhat lackluster season and then left.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2018, 12:16 PM
There was a delay on getting Bol Kong into the country from Canada. I think some kind of visa issue because of where he was from originally before his family moved to Canada. Much hyped, didn't live up to it. One somewhat lackluster season and then left.

Seacat, baby, we missed seeing you on the Allonzo Trier thread.

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Hey I’ve been to GU, just not as a student. Theo wAS A NYC HS stud so I was excited about his coming. Right now Im 35K over Iowa so this BB news is passing the time very well TUVM.

yup, you, me and whoo hoo are non Zag alum Zag nuts. TD was from Toronto but did play high school ball in NYC, you are correct. he was the first of our long line of Canadians, some of which panned out, Olynyk, Sacre, Pangos and Wiltjer (plays for Canada nationally), some were colossal flame outs, Bol Kong, some were average role players PMac and Manny Arop and some were great bench leaders, Dustin Triano. I wonder why we stopped aggressively recruiting Canucks.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2018, 12:18 PM
That reminds me of a situation/convo I had with another zags fan a few weeks ago. I was talking to another "die-hard" zags fan a few weeks ago. He's a friend of my brother, and we often text all throughout zags games and whatnot. Anyway, I mentioned that Ayayi somewhat reminds me of PMAC. He had no idea who PMAC was, so I said Pierre Marie Altidor Cespedes. He said he'd never heard of him. I was like....wait, WHAT?? How can that be?! haha

Again, goes to show how long, and how hard, we've been following this team!! Good times.

Gee, I sure hope not.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Gee, I sure hope not.

I KNOW, I KNOW. I'm hoping not too!

I don't know why, but that's who I see in my head when I watch Ayayi. I hope I'm wayyyyyy off with that one. I think, mentally, Ayayi is 1000x more confident than PMAC was. Maybe that'll make all the difference right there.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Hmmm.....okay okay. That's another solid option. But dangit. I was hoping someone would say the name and I'd instantly recall the situation. This is frustrating.

Marcus
02-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Guy Landry Edi?

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 12:39 PM
So, best I can remember, this player was either transferring in (or just coming to us) and they were saying he would have just 'x' years of eligibility. And we were all up in arms, saying it was unfair because it wasn't his fault and he was being penalized so harshly, all the while players at UNC get away with murder and they use us and the 'littler' guys to drop the hammer on unfairly.

Ugh. I remember those threads like it was yesterday. I really wanna say 2-4 years is the time frame.

sittingon50
02-23-2018, 12:42 PM
woohoo, I think you are caught in some sort of time zone anomaly from which you will never extract yourself.

(kinda' like me watching the Winter Olympics & wondering if what I'm watching on the tube has actually happened yet!!)

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 01:04 PM
woohoo, I think you are caught in some sort of time zone anomaly from which you will never extract yourself.

(kinda' like me watching the Winter Olympics & wondering if what I'm watching on the tube has actually happened yet!!)

I DID watch an episode of The Twilight Zone the other night. I bet you're right.

Outraged
02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
The creation Mario kasum is as far back as I can go.

bdmiller7
02-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Still thinks it's McClellan. Left Vandy after 12 games. I think it might have been academic cheating or something. Sat out 2 semesters and was able to play 2nd half of season. If he'd sat out the spring he would have been able to play 2 full years.

Marcus
02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
I Think its Guy Edi,

from Wikipedia

College career[edit]

While originally looking at the University of Miami at Florida, he instead went to Midland College of the NJCAA and then transferred to Gonzaga University and played for the Bulldogs.

From 2006 to 2008, Edi played some games for Paris-Levallois Basket of LNB Pro A.[3] Because of his playing time there, Edi served an eight-game suspension for an exhibition game and first eight regular season games of the 2011–12 season with Gonzaga for violating NCAA rules on amateurism.[2] Edi made his first career start on January 21, 2012 against San Diego, with eight points and four rebounds in 26 minutes. As a junior, Edi averaged 5.5 points and 2.4 rebounds.[4]

As a senior in 2012–13, Edi started the first 11 games but played fewer minutes in the second half of the season. He ended the season averaging only 3.0 points and 2.1 rebounds.[5]

cjm720
02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Appreciate all of the help here, but for some reason, I just don't feel like anyone has mentioned the player yet.

I think the closest is maybe McClellan...? Maybe that's who it was. Crap. This is SERIOUSLY bothering me right now!!!

And thanks for a bit of a backstory on Kasun. I vaguely remember reading about some of that.

Was it Vilarino (sp?)

Norwester
02-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Was it Vilarino (sp?)

No.

It was Guy Landry Edi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Edi

Mic drop.

MEZAG
02-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Elias Harris had some pro questions almost hamper his freshman season.

Harris was one of the top junior players in Germany when he graduated from Friedrich-Magnus-Schwerd-Gymnasium in Speyer, Germany. As a German junior, he spent four years playing for BIS Speyer in the German Pro B third division for four years, averaging 20.9 ppg and 9.2 rpg in 2008–09.[1] He also competed with the German national junior basketball team at the 2005 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship; 2006 and 2007 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship; and 2008 and 2009 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 03:23 PM
I Think its Guy Edi,

from Wikipedia

College career[edit]

While originally looking at the University of Miami at Florida, he instead went to Midland College of the NJCAA and then transferred to Gonzaga University and played for the Bulldogs.

From 2006 to 2008, Edi played some games for Paris-Levallois Basket of LNB Pro A.[3] Because of his playing time there, Edi served an eight-game suspension for an exhibition game and first eight regular season games of the 2011–12 season with Gonzaga for violating NCAA rules on amateurism.[2] Edi made his first career start on January 21, 2012 against San Diego, with eight points and four rebounds in 26 minutes. As a junior, Edi averaged 5.5 points and 2.4 rebounds.[4]

As a senior in 2012–13, Edi started the first 11 games but played fewer minutes in the second half of the season. He ended the season averaging only 3.0 points and 2.1 rebounds.[5]

YESSSS!! That was it!

Oh my gosh, thank you.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions and work. I’ve enjoyed this thread and the reminders.

NOW, to my GRIPE. Hah! I remember everyone being SO frustrated about Edi being suspended/penalized so long, because he hadn’t really done anything wrong. If i recall, he received next to nothing for his time playing at that particular ‘pro’ level.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Reading all of these suggestions makes me realize how many eligibility issues we’ve dealt with over the years!! :roll:

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/West-Coast-Conference/11/Gonzaga/332/transfers

seacatfan
02-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Whatever the NCAA did to Landry-Edi, it was nothing compared to Few's probation after the ill conceived alley-oop attempt off the backboard. That was about the end of his meaningful minutes in a GU uniform.

NotoriousZ
02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
My memory is not what it once was, but is there a chance that instead of Guy Landry Edi you were thinking of Angel Nunez? I thought he was trying to get another year of eligibility (and was denied). But I could be wrong, anything past 10 seconds ago is a big blur.

kitzbuel
02-23-2018, 06:54 PM
There was a delay on getting Bol Kong into the country from Canada. I think some kind of visa issue because of where he was from originally before his family moved to Canada. Much hyped, didn't live up to it. One somewhat lackluster season and then left.It took Bol a tremendously long time to get a visa since he was a naturalized Canadian from Sudan. There was one point where we believed it was not being granted at all.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bballbeachbum
02-23-2018, 07:27 PM
:roll:

Ain't that the truth!!

more of us than you might think out there!

VinnyZag
02-23-2018, 07:50 PM
I wonder why we stopped aggressively recruiting Canucks.

I think because everybody is recruiting Canadians now. It's no longer an exploitable market inefficiency.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 08:26 PM
My memory is not what it once was, but is there a chance that instead of Guy Landry Edi you were thinking of Angel Nunez? I thought he was trying to get another year of eligibility (and was denied). But I could be wrong, anything past 10 seconds ago is a big blur.

Hmmm....You know what....now THAT sounds really familiar?!?! HAHAHA. Sheesh. I'm so confused (this is nothing new). I have the memory of a one-eyed tree frog.

bdmiller7
02-23-2018, 08:57 PM
I do remember Nunez having a concussion at Louisville and seems like he was going for a medical redshirt.

gozagswoohoo
02-23-2018, 10:29 PM
I do remember Nunez having a concussion at Louisville and seems like he was going for a medical redshirt.

Nunez fighting for a medical RS sounds super familiar now.

Jeez...we have literally been fighting eligibility issues at least every other season for 20 years it seems!

RenoZag
02-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Threads related to Angel Nunez ( who ultimately won his appeal for an extra year of eligibility )

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?50693-Angel-Nunez&highlight=Angel+Nunez

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?52706-Angel-1-more-year&highlight=Angel+Nunez