PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thread on the Memphis Board

ZagNative
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I thought this thread (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=259766) on the Memphis board had an interesting discussion of Rick Majerus at St. Louis U, the reasons for the mutual attraction, and the prospects for success. It's a fun thread to read relative to SLU and Majerus, but this comment especially caught my attention:

Someone said they would not be surprised if Cal scheduled SLU in the future and I agree. I think we need to ‘buddy’ up with schools that are in similar situations as us (non-BCS teams that have solid programs). We have Gonzaga for three more years (I hope Cal and Few renew the series when the original contract runs up) and I would like to see us add Kruger and UNLV. Xavier and/or St. Louis would be great as well.
I was thinking this year was the last year of the series. Can someone set me straight?

Aside from the Zags mention, this post was interesting:

My son goes to SLU. I have spoken to the acting AD and the reason for Majerus being there is simple-

They are building a beautiful, new facility, need corporate sponsers (like Anheuser Busch, many others) and needed a high profile coach to get them.
The old AD was against the hire and the president (Biondi)went around her to hire Rick---so she left.
They face the same problems as most of the A10 schools do-

Title 9 and not enuf $$'s to go around, and .......no football.

Basketball is the "face" of the university at SLU, just like it is here.
Soccer is what they've been known for in recent decades but it doesn't generate any money.
They need corporate money for sustaining the educational part of their growth and the only way to do it is thru donations.

BobZag
10-29-2007, 04:26 PM
It's a 4-year contract so there are 2 more games to go. I, too, hope this series keeps on going and going........

Kiddwell
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
It'd be nice if we'd win a few. Like ten in a row maybe?

:]

kyle dixon
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I do agree with keeping this series going. How can one ever forget Calipari getting pissed at Shawne Williams for getting in to it with Adam Morrison? Even Dick Vitale was chiming in that night stating that Memphis did not want to get Morrison pissed. A great series with great games. A 9am tip? I will be in Hawaii on my honeymoon at that time to watch this game. 6am Hawaii time. Ouch :lmao:

murph
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
1st time post. As much as I am opposed to title IX it does not hurt a school such as Gonzaga or any other school without a football team. It is those schools with a large athletic program such as football that must balance out the participation #'s by gender per title IX.

VinnyZag
10-29-2007, 10:41 PM
It'd be nice if we'd win a few. Like ten in a row maybe?

:]

Who do you think Memphis is? The Huskies?

ZagNative
10-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Who do you think Memphis is? The Huskies?
Gosh, it seems like days since I've seen a harpoon lobbed across the mountains.

;)

I really like Majerus and am hoping he has great success at St. Louis.