PDA

View Full Version : Filip Petrusev - Basketball Without Borders - Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz

ZagNative
02-21-2018, 03:04 PM
From ESPN, by Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz, "Scouting Basketball Without Borders: Long-term draft prospects" (http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22513717/scouting-international-nba-draft-prospects-2018-basketball-borders-global-camp)

Filip Petrusev | 6-11 | PF/C

Serbia | Age: 17.8

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0221%2Fr331127_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

The future Gonzaga Bulldog stood out with his modern skill set and polished game at 6-11, 215 pounds with a projectable frame. Petrusev, who has measurement similarities to a young Joffrey Lauvergne at 6-10 barefoot with a 6-10Ĺ wingspan, should be an instant contributor in the West Coast Conference thanks to his size, ability to step out and shoot the 3, score on the block with finesse and finish with either hand on the interior. He's a sound passer and decision-maker, and he even showed the ability to make pull-up jumpers or pick-and-roll reads on occasion.

More mobile than explosive, Petrusev isn't a dunker or vertical spacer, but his shooting potential and overall skill level make up for that on the offensive end. He has room to improve defensively, as he doesn't quite have the explosive athleticism or length to fall back on when his technique isn't flawless. He's not a rim protector and hasn't proved comfortable chasing around perimeter 4s, although he does have solid feet. He can stand to become a more aggressive defensive rebounder as well. Although he isn't oozing with length and explosiveness, Petrusev is a high-floor prospect who, at the very worst, is a great college player who will have a chance to play in the NBA once he's done in Spokane. -- MS

3zagda
02-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Nice find ZN, thanks.

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Sacre 2.0?

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Sacre 2.0?

One can hope!

btzag
02-21-2018, 03:49 PM
When I’ve seen him I think Olynk though a touch less mobile/athletic.

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Sacre 2.0?

Um..."ability to step out and shoot the three" and Sacre has never been in the same sentence unless someone were to say Sacre does not have the ability to "step out and shoot the three". Sacre was a center Petrusev is a four, I don't think the two are similar at all.

JAGzag
02-21-2018, 04:43 PM
When I’ve seen him I think Olynk though a touch less mobile/athletic.

That sounds like a stretch.

btzag
02-21-2018, 05:34 PM
That sounds like a stretch.

No not a stretch at all.

Don’t forget KO was an under the radar kid from Canada that had some potential but was so terrible his freshman and sophomore years that he redshirted to set up his AA campaign and lottery pick in the draft. You are only focusing on his junior year and beyond which was honestly completely unexpected out of hs and especially after seeing him for two years in college.

cggonzaga
02-21-2018, 06:47 PM
No not a stretch at all.

Don’t forget KO was an under the radar kid from Canada that had some potential but was so terrible his freshman and sophomore years that he redshirted to set up his AA campaign and lottery pick in the draft. You are only focusing on his junior year and beyond which was honestly completely unexpected out of hs and especially after seeing him for two years in college.

I don’t hate the KO comparison although I believe Filip likes playing on the post more than Kelly did. I’ve also seen plenty of highlights of Filip easily dunking so don’t get the comments from the article.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-21-2018, 06:54 PM
From ESPN, by Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz, "Scouting Basketball Without Borders: Long-term draft prospects" (http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22513717/scouting-international-nba-draft-prospects-2018-basketball-borders-global-camp)

Description of his game says skills and finesse are his best assets, the pic tells me: solid frame ready to add muscle. Im thinking Corey Violette / JP Batista kind of body in 2-3 years w Coach Knight.

strikenowhere
02-21-2018, 07:10 PM
That write-up makes Petrusev seem like a clone of Wiltjer in ways both good and bad.

WallaWallaZag
02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
That write-up makes Petrusev seem like a clone of Wiltjer in ways both good and bad.

not the shooter wiltjer was but while not an explosive athlete, more athletic than wiltjer...

WallaWallaZag
02-21-2018, 07:42 PM
No not a stretch at all.

more like collins without the ups...doesn't have ko's guard-like ball skills...

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2018, 07:46 PM
more like collins without the ups...doesn't have ko's guard-like ball skills...

And without Collins motor. I don't think there is an apt comparison for him right now.

WallaWallaZag
02-21-2018, 07:52 PM
And without Collins motor. I don't think there is an apt comparison for him right now.

tillie with a little more size but less athleticism...

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2018, 08:19 PM
tillie with a little more size but less athleticism...

And not as good of a three-point shooter. The comparisons that we are all trying to make are actually pretty funny. I think he will be a good role player for us and there's nothing wrong with that.

ZagzKrak
02-21-2018, 08:29 PM
And not as good of a three-point shooter. The comparisons that we are all trying to make are actually pretty funny. I think he will be a good role player for us and there's nothing wrong with that.

It is a great time to be a Zag fan when we think a 4* top 100 kid is only going to be a role player us. /s

willandi
02-21-2018, 08:43 PM
It is a great time to be a Zag fan when we think a 4* top 100 kid is only going to be a role player us. /s

True!

Zags_Fanatic
02-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Very nice blurb about Arlauskas as well:

Martynas Arlauskas | 6-8 | SF

Lithuania | Age: 17.6

Arlauskas proved to be one of the most polished players at the camp, which is not a surprise considering he was one of the few players with actual EuroLeague experience underneath his belt already. He has good size for the wing, a solid frame and a strong feel for the game, clearly having benefited from the coaching he's receiving from the highly regarded Sarunas Jasikevicius at Zalgiris. Arlauskas is capable of playing on or off the ball, finding ways to impact the game with his ability to distribute, defend, rebound and do all the little things. When his team struggled with point guard play, he took responsibility and showed impressive ability to operate in pick-and-rolls, as he's highly creative with the way he can move the ball and has a very high basketball IQ.

Despite lacking length (6-7 wingspan), Arlauskas is a versatile defender who can check guards, wings and forwards alike. The one area he hasn't developed as much as expected is with his jumper. His stroke looks rigid and wasn't a consistent weapon for him from beyond the 3-point line, even if he showed some ability to make pull-ups inside the arc. Arlauskas lacks the physical tools to be considered a top-shelf NBA prospect, but he makes up for that in other areas. He's reportedly on the college track and will be an immediate contributor at the NCAA level thanks to his feel, versatility, toughness and ability to play winning basketball. -- JG

tyra
02-21-2018, 11:26 PM
I sure wish these kinds of articles would spend a fraction as much time on assessing defensive strengths and weaknesses as they do offensive ones.

Vanzagger
02-22-2018, 04:55 AM
No not a stretch at all.

Donít forget KO was an under the radar kid from Canada that had some potential but was so terrible his freshman and sophomore years that he redshirted to set up his AA campaign and lottery pick in the draft. You are only focusing on his junior year and beyond which was honestly completely unexpected out of hs and especially after seeing him for two years in college.

Kelly was not terrible he just had to wait his turn. Do that 40 min/game projection with the stats he got getting to play cold a couple minutes at a time. I think itís been pointed out he would have been flirting with double doubles

scrooner
02-22-2018, 05:56 AM
More athletic Mallon?

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2018, 06:24 AM

indeed

zagdontzig
02-22-2018, 06:49 AM
When Iíve seen him I think Olynk though a touch less mobile/athletic.

Was Kelly particularly mobile or athletic?

former1dog
02-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Was Kelly particularly mobile or athletic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNsQqUDy0k

hooter73
02-22-2018, 07:20 AM
I sure wish these kinds of articles would spend a fraction as much time on assessing defensive strengths and weaknesses as they do offensive ones.

defense wins championships but offense gets kids recruited to college and beyond.

Coach Crazy
02-22-2018, 07:34 AM
I donít hate the KO comparison although I believe Filip likes playing on the post more than Kelly did. Iíve also seen plenty of highlights of Filip easily dunking so donít get the comments from the article.

Some dudes are only masquerading as talent evaluators...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
02-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Some dudes are only masquerading as talent evaluators...

From what I have seen, Filip is just a taller, stronger, faster, more athletic and better playing version of me.

sittingon50
02-22-2018, 09:44 AM
From what I have seen, Filip is just a taller, stronger, faster, more athletic and better playing version of me.

Cmon kitz; don't sell yourself short!

Coach Crazy
02-22-2018, 09:52 AM

#fakenews

DagsZags
02-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Filip Petrusev: Highlights of Top 100 2018 Gonzaga signee at BWB

https://247sports.com/Article/Filip-Petrusev-Highlights-of-Top-100-2018-Gonzaga-signee-at-BWB-115431789

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Filip Petrusev, PF, Serbia
Height: 6í10Ē | Weight: 215 | Draft-eligible: 2019
Already committed to Gonzaga for next year, Petrusev is a fluid, smooth-shooting stretch big who should be a perfect fit in Spokane. Heís teammates with potential 2019 No.1 pick R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy, and was able to shine with some nice moments in the camp environment. Heís not a surefire NBA guy, but has the size and shooting tools going for him and will be in a great situation for his development. After helping lead Serbia to a title in last summerís U18 Euros, Petrusev is a player to track long-term with some projectable utility at the NBA level.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/19/basketball-without-borders-top-international-prospects-nba-draft

caldwellzag
02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Filip Petrusev: Highlights of Top 100 2018 Gonzaga signee at BWB

https://247sports.com/Article/Filip-Petrusev-Highlights-of-Top-100-2018-Gonzaga-signee-at-BWB-115431789

Thanks for sharing this link. Has a great feel for the game and looks to be an immediate impact type player. Can't wait for him to get on campus and get in our system!

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
As bbz mentioned Tommy was there, so I'm excited to hear what news will come out over the next few months; hopefully another French Killian, but this guy is 5* all the way, so not getting my hopes up.