PDA

View Full Version : For Discussion.... Zags meet 10/12 shared stat indicators of a championship team.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2018, 08:09 AM
The Team meeting the largest number of these stats categories has mad the Championship final for the past 2 years.

We had 11/12 of the indicators last year.

We are close to being 12/12... just need that seed and to hit a few more 3s.

https://i.imgur.com/jOOPtqj.png

strikenowhere
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Interesting chart, although I really think the seed position is irrelevant to being champion material compared to everything else.

23dpg
02-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Interesting chart, although I really think the seed position is irrelevant to being champion material compared to everything else.

It’s talking about actually making the final game. I think seeding plays a major part of that equation. You get to be at less than your best and still advance. Gonzaga struggles against SD State last year. They played poorly in the first half. If they were a 5 seed, a 12 would have had a better chance in the second half.

Bouldin4Prez
02-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Since 1979, there have been 4 national champions with a seed greater than 4. I would say that's a pretty fair indicator.

sittingon50
02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Kong, did you do the legwork on that?

Some really good stuff there.

hockeyzag
02-21-2018, 09:17 AM
The Team meeting the largest number of these stats categories has mad the Championship final for the past 2 years.

We had 11/12 of the indicators last year.

We are close to being 12/12... just need that seed and to hit a few more 3s.

https://i.imgur.com/jOOPtqj.png

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

JPtheBeasta
02-21-2018, 09:43 AM

+1

Zags_Fanatic
02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

It's from the College Basketball subreddit, you can see the most recent post and discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/7yoq7c/michigan_state_now_meets_all_12_of_the_shared/

User locknload03 has been doing this over the past few seasons and has been perfecting his model. I highly recommend that subreddit for basketball fans, lots of great discussion and a solid Gonzaga fanbase.

sittingon50
02-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Fanatic.

thebigsmoove
02-21-2018, 10:58 AM
This data set is fascinating, but unfortunately reddit gives me a nose bleed.

Zags_Fanatic
02-21-2018, 11:04 AM
This data set is fascinating, but unfortunately reddit gives me a nose bleed.

\_(ツ)_/ I get that it isn't for everyone but I've also found some of the most supportive communities there at a time when I really needed support. The college basketball subreddit is pretty great, a lot of memes and craziness but also a lot of really informative posts and fun game threads.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2018, 11:10 AM

I did not, found it in reddit.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2018, 11:12 AM
\_(ツ)_/ I get that it isn't for everyone but I've also found some of the most supportive communities there at a time when I really needed support. The college basketball subreddit is pretty great, a lot of memes and craziness but also a lot of really informative posts and fun game threads.

Agreed, some interesting stuff can be found on there.
Also some stuff that will make your blood boil.

hah!

Zags_Fanatic
02-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Agreed, some interesting stuff can be found on there.
Also some stuff that will make your blood boil.

hah!

Come for the discussion, stay for the Purdue/IU bar graphs.

thebigsmoove
02-21-2018, 12:48 PM

I think more than anything its my inexperience with it and how it all works compared to Forums or other social media platforms. It just ends up looking like a jumbled mess and is hard to follow sometimes. Im sure once you get used to it, its easier to follow.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
For your information... the one category we didn't qualify last year?

Offensive rebounding.

raise the zag
02-21-2018, 02:56 PM
too bad this Committee is going to relegate us to a 7 or 8 seed based on current RPI projections (mid-30's).

We weren't even mentioned by the Committee share as the teams who were "close" to being considered in the Top-16.

I hope we spoil a deserved high seed's hope just to prove a point...and to survive of course.

IF we receive a middling seed, such as 8 or 9, the Committee is also doing a #1 or #2 seed a disservice as well. Can't wait to the opponents Coach complain about matching up with #8 seed Gonzaga in the 2nd Rd.

Just can't let the RPI die. Ridiculous they use it for seeding purporses, should ONLY be used to rank WINS & LOSSES vs Top-50, Top-100, etc, but to actually seed off this metric is ridiculous

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-22-2018, 12:23 PM
According to Lunardi we are now a 4 seed and sitting at 11/12 of these categories, if we can shoot 3s at a higher clip in these last few games... we will be 12/12 and statistically having a very good chance of making it to the championship for a second year.

caldwellzag
02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Almost any advanced statistic you look at is very favorable to the Zags. The RPI model is outdated and needs revision. I do not see our seed as a major factor this year and the damage we can do in the tourney. Like was mentioned if we were an 8 or 9 seed (which there is no chance of that unless we lose to BYU and St. Mary's) no number 1 seed would want to play us round 2. If we get in the 4 or 5 seed range sweet 16 here we come and from there, it depends on who we draw as it's all about match ups from that point on. I like our chances of making another run at a Final Four.