PDA

View Full Version : To Be The Next Gonzaga

buenaparkzag
02-21-2018, 07:50 AM
"If we don't make the tournament this year, is it a complete failure? No. Because we're still building something really good. Our ultimate goal is to be a top-25 team, to be the next Gonzaga or a Butler; to be the next mid-major. And we have all the tools to do that."

GCU coach Dan Majerle

I thought it was worthy to note.

seacatfan
02-21-2018, 08:05 AM
I've heard that one before. Quite a few "next Gonzaga" hopefuls littered along the wayside. Not even close to becoming perennial Tourney teams or dominating their conference on a yearly basis. Akron isn't even a blip on the radar this season, that was one of them.

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 08:14 AM
The next GU is yet to emerge. Butler had a quick peek at the sun; Creighton and years ago Saint Joe, as well. Godot will show up sooner. I like Thunder Dan, but flimflammery is the coin of the realm at a school like GCU.

23dpg
02-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Potentiall “Next Gonzagas” that I can recall:

Winthrop
George Mason
Western Kentucky
Akron
Davidson

Butler- they made it.

Others?

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Winthrop
George Mason
Western Kentucky
Akron
Davidson

Butler- they made it.

Others?

Past tense, Butler made it. Their 20 year record does not stand up to GU....Now if so and so had stayed....

Grand Valley Zag
02-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Winthrop
George Mason
Western Kentucky
Akron
Davidson

Butler- they made it.

Others?

VCU?

23dpg
02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
VCU
Valpo
Northern Iowa
St. Joes
Belmont
UAB

23dpg
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
I wonder how many coaches have uttered that exact phrase. I bet it would be double digits.

willandi
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Perhaps, after the bombshell falls and the smoke clears from the NCAA scandal, the 'Next Gonzaga' will include wanna-be's like Duke, Kansas, UNC. You know. A perennial top 20 team that actually abides by the rules AND has integrity.

bdmiller7
02-21-2018, 08:29 AM
One big difference between GCU and other mid majors is their facilities are closer to a power 5 conferences. If they can drop the for-profit and get out of the WAC it would help.

23dpg
02-21-2018, 08:31 AM
One big difference between GCU and other mid majors is their facilities are closer to a power 5 conferences. If they can drop the for-profit and get out of the WCC it would help.

They (the facilities) are now. Not 20 years ago.

bdmiller7
02-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Could add Seattle U. and GCU to WCC. Have 12 teams in 2 divisions. Play everyone in your division twice (5×2) and the other division once (6×1). Its 16 conference games instead of 18. Conference is maybe a little stronger but get 2 more non-con games back. Both religious schools. GCU has to go back to non-profit though.

bdmiller7
02-21-2018, 08:36 AM
GCU is in the WAC and yes there facilities are now because they just became D-1 a few years ago.

Zagsker
02-21-2018, 08:51 AM
VCU
Valpo
Northern Iowa
St. Joes
Belmont
UAB

Florida Gulf Coast

Zagsker
02-21-2018, 08:54 AM
The next GU is yet to emerge. Butler had a quick peek at the sun; Creighton and years ago Saint Joe, as well. Godot will show up sooner. I like Thunder Dan, but flimflammery is the coin of the realm at a school like GCU.

I would say Creighton, although lack of similar tourney success as GU, could be looked at as a team that has made that climb and will sustain relevancy simply by their inclusion in the BIG EAST

Birddog
02-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Wichita State comes to mind though they are a much larger public university.

Zags_Fanatic
02-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Middle Tennessee should be in the conversation, they are averaging 25+ over the last 6 seasons (soon to be 7) and have had some big recent tourney wins. They are in the Top 25 for the first time in school history this week and if they keep coach Kermit Davis (familiar to any old Vandals fans?) it seems like they are on a solid track.

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Huh???

Some high-majors fought for years to finance comparable luxuries. But GCU opened its practice facility in 2017, four years into its Division I transition. In 2014, Grand Canyon Arena, the team's home facility that includes a three-ton, high-definition video board, temporarily shut down to add 2,000 seats as part of a multimillion-dollar investment in the school's most visible sport.

The facilities have enhanced recruiting at GCU.

Four-star recruit Tim Finke rejected offers from Northwestern, Creighton, Notre Dame, Illinois and USC and committed to Grand Canyon in November. Casey Benson, a grad transfer who played in the Final Four with Oregon last season, is averaging 9.6 PPG and 5.0 APG this season.

The WAC squad is ranked within the top 50 in adjusted defensive efficiency, per ESPN Stats & Information, and started the month with the nation's top 3-point defense (26.8 percent). If the Antelopes seize the conference tournament title, they will elevate the program's national profile during the team's first trip to the NCAA tournament.

"If we don't make the tournament this year, is it a complete failure? No," Majerle said. "Because we're still building something really good. Our ultimate goal is to be a top-25 team, to be the next Gonzaga or a Butler, to be the next mid-major. And we have all the tools to do that."

thebigsmoove
02-21-2018, 10:05 AM
GCU is ambitious and will likely regain their non-profit status soon. They are the exact type of school the WCC should be courting to add to the stable of quality Western programs. Everyone constantly complains about how there is little or no ambition in 2/3 of our league, so why not pursue someone like GCU?

zagdontzig
02-21-2018, 10:26 AM
I think that makes us want to be "the next Villanova."

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
I think that makes us want to be "the next Villanova."

Nova is a sneaky blue blood. Been an NCAA hit maker since the days of Jack Kraft.....

zagzilla
02-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Nova is a sneaky blue blood. Been an NCAA hit maker since the days of Jack Kraft.....

Exactly. We are a sneaky blue blood in the making. Literally 20 years in the making. 'Nova is ahead of us but lots of similarities. Private, Catholic (Augustinian), 10,000 students, 65000 seat on-campus arena. They would be a welcome addition to the WCC. Hope the commish is working on that.

Look ahead at who you are chasing. Not over your shoulder at who is chasing you.

ZZ

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Exactly. We are a sneaky blue blood in the making. Literally 20 years in the making. 'Nova is ahead of us but lots of similarities. Private, Catholic (Augustinian), 10,000 students, 65000 seat on-campus arena. They would be a welcome addition to the WCC. Hope the commish is working on that.

Look ahead at who you are chasing. Not over your shoulder at who is chasing you.

ZZ

Those Augustinians think BIG...:clap:

seacatfan
02-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Probably the closest is Xavier. Not exactly a blue blood but a long history of being successful. They started going to Tourney semi-regularly well before Gonzaga did. They have been a bit more up and down over the years than GU I'd say. Also unlike GU they haven't had 1 coach that has been around for the entirety of the run. They've been a stepping stone job, but keep coming up w/ good replacements.

jazzdelmar
02-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Probably the closest is Xavier. Not exactly a blue blood but a long history of being successful. They started going to Tourney semi-regularly well before Gonzaga did. They have been a bit more up and down over the years than GU I'd say. Also unlike GU they haven't had 1 coach that has been around for the entirety of the run. They've been a stepping stone job, but keep coming up w/ good replacements.

Marquette fits that profile, too. Still, neither is GU.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-21-2018, 04:35 PM
To be the next Gonzaga, a program must create a team first culture that is the opposite of this: [URL="http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22534110"]

One more example of why I am so over ESPN.

seacatfan
02-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Marquette fits that profile, too. Still, neither is GU.

I don't even really think of them even though they are a smaller private school. Maybe something about winning a Championship in the late 70's puts them in a different category for me. Although in the more recent era I'd say they haven't been as successful as either Gonzaga or Xavier.

AzZag
02-21-2018, 09:40 PM

Unless you are familiar with the GCU program it won’t be easy to fathom how much potential this school really has. As mentioned, their facilities are some of the best in the country and will only continue to expand.
Basketball is THE highlight of their entire student body and university. It is a dry, Christian based school with an obsession of hoops. I hate saying this, however our GU student sections pales in comparison to theirs, which they call themselves the HAVOC.
It is like a Justin Timberlake concert on roids. It is truly one of the most exciting sporting events to go to. Similar to how we see a European soccer game with thousands of rabid flag waving s people going nuts. Crazy side note, their student section is so devout that they send about 1,000 students
to the AWAY games and cause disruption at opposing arenas.

Aside from that their program is facilitated under the watchful eye of Jerry Colangelo, Director of USA basketball. He has an untapped resource of funds allocated to the program. And no one is more connected in the basketball world than him.

After one of their games last year, they had a fan appreciation post game celebration in their quad that included a fireworks show that blows away Disneys. Along with free food and drinks for everyone.

They are getting high levels recruits and not just US based kids but also some of the top amateur players in the world.

I agree that they won’t be able to replicate GU’s success on the court over the past 2+ decades however I do think they will become a regular household name soon. I think they have some unique variables that differentiate them from other “wannabe” programs.

Ironically I’m going to their game tomorrow night and recording the GU game.

I’d encourage all Zags fans to check one of their home games out in person one day. It’s a blast

First round on me :)
Go Zags.

jchocolate99
02-22-2018, 01:52 AM
I'm all in for GCU to join the WCC rather they're non-profit or for-profit... Everyone always complains about how so many teams in the WCC do not put forth the effort to make their b-ball program better that would not be the case with GCU and would make for a fun rivalry with their fanbase.

jazzdelmar
02-22-2018, 03:09 AM
Unless you are familiar with the GCU program it won’t be easy to fathom how much potential this school really has. As mentioned, their facilities are some of the best in the country and will only continue to expand.
Basketball is THE highlight of their entire student body and university. It is a dry, Christian based school with an obsession of hoops. I hate saying this, however our GU student sections pales in comparison to theirs, which they call themselves the HAVOC.
It is like a Justin Timberlake concert on roids. It is truly one of the most exciting sporting events to go to. Similar to how we see a European soccer game with thousands of rabid flag waving s people going nuts. Crazy side note, their student section is so devout that they send about 1,000 students
to the AWAY games and cause disruption at opposing arenas.

Aside from that their program is facilitated under the watchful eye of Jerry Colangelo, Director of USA basketball. He has an untapped resource of funds allocated to the program. And no one is more connected in the basketball world than him.

After one of their games last year, they had a fan appreciation post game celebration in their quad that included a fireworks show that blows away Disneys. Along with free food and drinks for everyone.

They are getting high levels recruits and not just US based kids but also some of the top amateur players in the world.

I agree that they won’t be able to replicate GU’s success on the court over the past 2+ decades however I do think they will become a regular household name soon. I think they have some unique variables that differentiate them from other “wannabe” programs.

Ironically I’m going to their game tomorrow night and recording the GU game.

I’d encourage all Zags fans to check one of their home games out in person one day. It’s a blast

First round on me :)
Go Zags.

Sounds a litttle like the SDSU atmosphere during and right after their Kawhi period. It lasted a few years, now there are empty seats and apathetic students. Gotta keep winning, and even then......

ZagWhisperer
02-22-2018, 03:24 AM
Just an FYI. GCU has had success over SDSU in the past. I agree they have something going on there with their fan base. Also of note is USD traveled there earlier this year and won. 🤔

MileHigh
02-22-2018, 05:04 AM
I dont think there will be another Gonzaga, because the schools that were in a position to become the next (Butler, Creighton, Wichita State) all up graded their conference affiliation in the middle of their successful run, which effectively made it impossible to maintain their success. Had any of those schools stayed in their previous conferences they would likely be rolling similar to Gonzaga, and similarly, if Gonzaga were to somehow get into a bigger conference they would no longer have the guaranteed 25+ win seasons that they have enjoyed for so long

caldwellzag
02-22-2018, 05:52 AM
I dont think there will be another Gonzaga, because the schools that were in a position to become the next (Butler, Creighton, Wichita State) all up graded their conference affiliation in the middle of their successful run, which effectively made it impossible to maintain their success. Had any of those schools stayed in their previous conferences they would likely be rolling similar to Gonzaga, and similarly, if Gonzaga were to somehow get into a bigger conference they would no longer have the guaranteed 25+ win seasons that they have enjoyed for so long

I completely agree with you on this. There will always be some Mid-Majors classified as the "Next Gonzaga" but there will never be another mid-major program that has the success we have because they will join the larger conferences after a few short years of success.

GoZags
02-22-2018, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking the worst example of a self-proclaimed "next Gonzaga" is the Binghamton Bearcats ... who made the dance in '09. The "George Costanza 'Opposite' theory" is the only way they could be compared to Gonzaga, given the "shortcuts" they tried to take.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_University_basketball_scandal

One of the unfortunate "headers" from the link is entitled "Arrests and dismissals" .... (total of 6).

Arrests and dismissals
On September 23, 2009—just over a month before the start of the 2009-10 season—Binghamton's starting point guard and second-leading scorer, Emmanuel "Tiki" Mayben, was arrested and charged with possessing and selling crack cocaine. Broadus, saying he'd "done all I could" to help Mayben, kicked him off the team the next day.[9]

On September 25, Broadus announced that five other players had been kicked off the team for unspecified violations of team rules. They included Rivera, Alvin, transfer Corey Chandler (recently arrived from Rutgers), junior college transfer Paul Crosby and walk-on David Fine. Within 48 hours, Binghamton had lost its three top scorers from the previous season. With only seven scholarship players and no experienced guards, it was widely believed that the Bearcats' 2009-10 season was over before it even started. Indeed, Lasser said that these dismissals amounted to an "implosion" of the Bearcat program.[10] Although Broadus claimed the decision was his alone, the dismissals came on the same day that SUNY chancellor Nancy Zimpher demanded that DeFleur give her a full accounting of what being done to address Mayben's arrest and other unspecified incidents. Zimpher was known for having little tolerance for athletic misconduct. While president of the University of Cincinnati, she'd forced longtime basketball coach Bob Huggins to resign in 2005. Although Huggins had taken Cincinnati to heights it hadn't seen since the 1960s, Zimpher had been displeased with the team's poor academic performance and misbehavior off the court.[9]

Bogozags
02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Could add Seattle U. and GCU to WCC. Have 12 teams in 2 divisions. Play everyone in your division twice (5×2) and the other division once (6×1). Its 16 conference games instead of 18. Conference is maybe a little stronger but get 2 more non-con games back. Both religious schools. GCU has to go back to non-profit though.

Not sure we (WCC) need to invite other schools, especially if they do not have an under 100RPI...Seattle is 157 and GCU is 211...the WAC only has two schools with less than a 100 RPI. We have enough bottom feeders...

I don't believe that adding schools will assist GU or WCC's RPI score...

As an example the MWC has seven schools with RPIs under 150 with five schools hovering at 100 or less RPI...

titopoet
02-22-2018, 07:57 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Xavier that moved from the MCC to the A-10 and finally to the New Big East. They made the jump from mid-major to power 5 team.

Also, Saint Mary is also in the conversation that makes it from mid-major to National power team.

Birddog
02-22-2018, 08:36 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Xavier that moved from the MCC to the A-10 and finally to the New Big East. They made the jump from mid-major to power 5 team.

Also, Saint Mary is also in the conversation that makes it from mid-major to National power team.

The New Big East is a Power 5 conference?

Bogozags
02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
FYI - there are only five conferences considered to be the Power Five or Major Conferences: ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and Pac12.

All other schools are labeled as Mid-Majors.

gonstu
02-22-2018, 10:55 AM
FYI - there are only five conferences considered to be the Power Five or Major Conferences: ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and Pac12.

In college bball at least - more accurate to note the "Power 7" conferences, including the Big East and AAC.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/adding-wichita-state-means-the-aac-must-be-counted-as-a-major-7-conference/

SWZag
02-22-2018, 11:01 AM
I think UW wants to be the next GU.

thebigsmoove
02-22-2018, 11:07 AM

That is not true, the Big East is in fact a power conference in Basketball. The AAC is pretty close, but not as good.

titopoet
02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
The New Big East is a Power 5 conference?

Should have said power 7... my bad.

GoZags
02-22-2018, 11:51 AM
I think UW wants to be the next GU.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

That's the sound of hitting the nail on the head.

maynard g krebs
02-22-2018, 02:38 PM
It is like a Justin Timberlake concert on roids.

I'm getting a very disturbing image of a bunch of hysterically screaming twelve to fourteen year old girls, except with big muscles and wispy facial hair.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-22-2018, 07:19 PM
I think GCU is trying to be THIS year's Gonzaga..their center is named Killian Larson!!