PDA

View Full Version : GU Battle in Seattle on hold for a few more years...

Section 116
02-20-2018, 07:44 PM
....per the Spokesman-Reviews Jim Meehan: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/feb/20/gonzaga-battle-in-seattle-on-hold-for-at-least-a-f/

23dpg
02-20-2018, 09:00 PM
“Now you’re giving up two games out of the schedule to make the BIS work,” Roth said, “which was OK when we were only playing 14 WCC games.”

SWZag
02-20-2018, 09:06 PM
“Now you’re giving up two games out of the schedule to make the BIS work,” Roth said, “which was OK when we were only playing 14 WCC games.”

I guess I don't get the "giving up two games" part. GU will play the same number of games with or without the BIS. Why would anyone consider playing, say Tennessee, UConn or Arizona, giving up a game?

TexasZagFan
02-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Perhaps Stephen Gentry can use his Texas contacts to bring in Baylor, UT, A&M, Tech, or TCU. I would have included SMU, but I don't think their profile is high enough at this time.

soccerdud
02-20-2018, 09:56 PM
I guess I don't get the "giving up two games" part. GU will play the same number of games with or without the BIS. Why would anyone consider playing, say Tennessee, UConn or Arizona, giving up a game?

they say in the article that each of the high-quality BiS opponents is a two game deal-- one in Seattle, one at a semi-neutral site chosen by that opponent. that means that any given year you will have the BiS AND have to do a return game against another year's BiS opponent. thus, each season you'd be playing (ie "giving up") two games outside of spokane as part of the deal to have a yearly BiS.

jpn17
02-20-2018, 10:18 PM
they say in the article that each of the high-quality BiS opponents is a two game deal-- one in Seattle, one at a semi-neutral site chosen by that opponent. that means that any given year you will have the BiS AND have to do a return game against another year's BiS opponent. thus, each season you'd be playing (ie "giving up") two games outside of spokane as part of the deal to have a yearly BiS.

I'd rather Gonzaga do that and play 2 games a year against say Georgia and Kansas State instead of home games against IUPUI and Southern.

webspinnre
02-20-2018, 10:47 PM
I'd rather Gonzaga do that and play 2 games a year against say Georgia and Kansas State instead of home games against IUPUI and Southern.

Every team needs some easier games early in their schedule - that's just how this goes. The problem is, as Roth said, that adding Pacific added nothing to the league, and took away 2 more possible non-league dates to schedule quality opponents.

sittingon50
02-20-2018, 10:57 PM
The problem is, as Roth said, that adding Pacific added nothing to the league

1. Roth didn't say that.
2. Pacific could well finish 4th this year.

kitzbuel
02-21-2018, 01:38 AM

Have to keep season ticket holders happy, too. They help float the program.

thebigsmoove
02-21-2018, 05:28 AM
What if...and just hear me out here...What if we rebranded it as "Coaches vs Cancer western invitational". Make it a big event to help support Coach Fews CvC efforts, something similar to how the Jimmy V invitational is a one game deal, you get 2 marquee teams (we could anchor it bi-annually) to play at the Key Arena once its remodeled and then its about the charity. I think that could be something special.

zagdontzig
02-21-2018, 07:23 AM
What if...and just hear me out here...What if we rebranded it as "Coaches vs Cancer western invitational". Make it a big event to help support Coach Fews CvC efforts, something similar to how the Jimmy V invitational is a one game deal, you get 2 marquee teams (we could anchor it bi-annually) to play at the Key Arena once its remodeled and then its about the charity. I think that could be something special.

It makes sense, especially because a Villanova would have no excuse to play when we went to MSG as a "neutral site"

seacatfan
02-21-2018, 08:09 AM
I figured the BIS was totally dead in the water, surprised to hear it might actually be revived eventually. Not exactly holding my breath. Interesting that somebody officially admitted several of the more recent matchups were not adequate opponents for the event.

75Zag
02-21-2018, 02:21 PM
BIS was a fantastic premise back when GU needed exposure in Western WA and a GU game in Seattle attracted some regional and national attention. Several of the first BIS games were CBS nationwide broadcast games. Unfortunately for those of us on the west side of the Cascades, that ship has sailed and I don't think GU needs Seattle anymore to get national headlines and the big East Coast schools are no longer interested in flying to Seattle to play GU. That is probably good news for GU season ticket holders, but not so great for those of us on the west side of the state.

Go Bulldogs!

zagzilla
02-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Went to every BIS game over the years. Special memories. Among them...
Got to see my son on the floor as Spike for the last 2 games rallying the building. Pride and joy
Watched Adam take that shot screaming "NOOOOO!" since I could see it was offline and then "YESSSS!" when it banked in. Ecstasy.

I also understood that part of the reason things fell apart at the end was that the promoter who organized BIS died and they didn't have anybody step up afterwards. Heard that from a source in the GU athletic department.

Hope it comes back soon

ZZ

CDC84
02-22-2018, 12:24 PM

But Gonzaga wouldn't, because it would cost them valuable revenue.

We have discussed this many times before, but it's worth repeating. When Gonzaga plays a game at Key Arena, they have to pay rent, and they get no money from concessions. Both costs are likely to go way up once Key Arena gets renovated. It's the same reason why they don't like playing games at Spokane Arena. They make more money - check that, WAY MORE money - by playing IUPUI at the Kennel than playing Georgia at Key Arena. Even with 8,000 more rear ends in the seats. Regardless if IUPUI sucks, K2 sells out anyway, and Gonzaga has to pay them very little to come to Spokane. When they play a 300+ RPI team like Incarnate Word, it costs even less money. These games are HUGE money makers for the program. I have spoken with Roth about this, and I have been told the same thing by others in the know. The same thing applies to other programs throughout the country that have opportunities to play at nearby city owned arenas. It's a business decision to keep as many games on campus as possible. Gonzaga gets ALL the money.

In addition to the fact, as webspinnre said, that GU needs to play easier opponents on occasion to get a break from its relentless non-league schedule. Although I would personally like to see the program spend a little more money to attract better guarantee game opponents to help with the resume.

I would only do the Battle in Seattle if it is staged during seasons when the program isn't playing at Washington. And I would only go after the cream of the crop. Programs like Kentucky. Or maybe Arizona if they'd like to do a home and home and then a neutral and neutral......like we did with Illinois some time back. If they can't get someone like that, they are better off playing Davidson in the Kennel. I know it's not always fan-friendly, but it translates in the long run to helping the men's basketball team and its continued growth.