PDA

View Full Version : Lithuanian 2019 prospect considering Zags

GLJake
02-19-2018, 02:23 PM
https://247sports.com/Article/Martynas-Arlauskas-2019-Lithuanian-SF-hearing-from-two-colleges-115312140/

GonzaGAW
02-19-2018, 02:30 PM
- nice find Jake, thanks

- I did not see any film, but size and skill set made me think of Micah Downs.

- given the stage he has recently been playing on, I'd expect interest from a lot more schools. Given the invite to play at the all star camp, I'm surprised he has not heard from more than Gonzaga and Texas Tech.

TexasZagFan
02-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Worth keeping an eye on, for sure. My first choice for remaining 2019 schollies is Drew Timme. His motor's always running, when you consider he's grabbing 15 boards a game.

Radbooks
02-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Here is a link to a tiny bit of film:

https://twitter.com/draftprosnba/status/964797153163038720

cggonzaga
02-19-2018, 03:20 PM
I don’t hate his game. Plenty of athleticism and he can shoot it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0cv9MB731U

OntZags
02-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Sounds like the first fallout from the Basketball Without Borders Camp. It was good that we had our boy Sabonis there to act as a fifth columnist for Gonzaga.:D

There was a lot of talent there that I'd hope we're seeking out. https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/19/basketball-without-borders-top-international-prospects-nba-draft

This article had a blurb about Petrusev.

Already committed to Gonzaga for next year, Petrusev is a fluid, smooth-shooting stretch big who should be a perfect fit in Spokane. He’s teammates with potential 2019 No.1 pick R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy, and was able to shine with some nice moments in the camp environment. He’s not a surefire NBA guy, but has the size and shooting tools going for him and will be in a great situation for his development. After helping lead Serbia to a title in last summer’s U18 Euros, Petrusev is a player to track long-term with some projectable utility at the NBA level.

No mention of Pecarski or Arlauskas. There is a blurb about Samanic, who last I saw was still considering college and would be a 2019 recruit.

All-Star team was as follows:

Sekou Doumbouya (FRA), Killian Hayes (FRA), Luka Samanic (CRO), Biram Faye (SEN) , Joel Parra (SPA), Tyrese Samuel(CAN), Josh Green(AUS), AJ Lawson(CAN), Leandro Bolmaro (BRA), Francisco Farabello (ARG) and Charles Bassey (NIG). Bassey from Nigeria was the MVP.

The two frenchmen are definitely 5 star calibre guys. I think Hayes would be 2020 and has an American father so he may be more likely to go the NCAA route. Couldn't hurt to have our French guys talk to them, Hayes especially.

The two Canadians are very strong and I'd love to see us look to restock the Canadian cupboard. Lawson looks like Kentucky Oregon are around him right now so long shot there. Tyrese Samuel is gonna start shooting up the rankings and is playing pretty close out in Utah. No schools currently after him that Gonzaga couldn't conceivably muscle in on. Definitely worth a look.

ZagzKrak
02-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Is that a familiar face at 20 seconds in?

ZagNation
02-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Yep, that is Kevin Pangos.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Sounds like the first fallout from the Basketball Without Borders Camp. It was good that we had our boy Sabonis there to act as a fifth columnist for Gonzaga.:D

There was a lot of talent there that I'd hope we're seeking out. https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/19/basketball-without-borders-top-international-prospects-nba-draft

This article had a blurb about Petrusev.

No mention of Pecarski or Arlauskas. There is a blurb about Samanic, who last I saw was still considering college and would be a 2019 recruit.

All-Star team was as follows:

Sekou Doumbouya (FRA), Killian Hayes (FRA), Luka Samanic (CRO), Biram Faye (SEN) , Joel Parra (SPA), Tyrese Samuel(CAN), Josh Green(AUS), AJ Lawson(CAN), Leandro Bolmaro (BRA), Francisco Farabello (ARG) and Charles Bassey (NIG). Bassey from Nigeria was the MVP.

The two frenchmen are definitely 5 star calibre guys. I think Hayes would be 2020 and has an American father so he may be more likely to go the NCAA route. Couldn't hurt our French guys talk to them, Killian especially.

The two Canadians are very strong and I'd love to see us look to restock the Canadian cupboard. Lawson looks like Kentucky Oregon are around him right now so long shot there. Tyrese Samuel is gonna start shooting up the rankings and is playing pretty close out in Utah. No schools currently after him that Gonzaga couldn't conceivably muscle in on. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks for the informative post OntZag, fantastic! Love the idea of restocking the Canadian cupboard.

OntZags
02-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the informative post OntZag, fantastic! Love the idea of restocking the Canadian cupboard.

Tell me about it, I got hooked on the Zags in large part because of the high Canadian content. :)

Brandon Clarke is a dual citizen, so that's a start.

The problem nowadays with getting the Canadian kids is they aren't under the radar anymore. We used to unearth some hidden gems but ever since the Wiggins/Bennett era, there's been an explosion of Canadian guys but they are all getting sucked right into the AAU/Prep circuits and being recognized and recruited exactly as if they were American.

But I'm very bullish on Tyrese Samuel and (for now) he's not getting recruited by any school that we couldn't best.

http://northpolehoops.com/2017/09/19/tyrese-samuel-tracy-mcgrady-potential-2019-canadian/

McGrady might be a stretch but he oozes potential and getting an AS nod at that camp is only gonna heighten his stock.

OntZags
02-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Oh and I didn't mean to completely turn the thread away from Arlauskas. Just figured there was a correlation between that camp and this news.

From the videos posted I like the looks. Good length, shooting and athleticism. And I love how Lithuanians generally play. Always smart, tough as nails basketball players. They develop them very well in Lithuania.

cggonzaga
02-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Ha, didn’t catch that initially.

Zags_Fanatic
02-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Paging JStocks! If I recall his local team his Zalgiris so I'm hoping for some inside info from our Lithuanian friend.

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting that. I'll tell you, from his shooting, dribble drive, and dunking he actually reminds me a lot of Cory Kispert.

Jstock12
02-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Paging JStocks! If I recall his local team his Zalgiris so I'm hoping for some inside info from our Lithuanian friend.

:D

This is a very interesting development. It seems that Gonzaga is targeting the sons of the legendary 80s Zalgiris players. Arlauskas' father was Arvydas Sabonis teammate, although a bit older at the time, and obviously not the main guy. But it's safe to say that Martynas has basketball in his DNA. Even though Arlauskas is only 17, Jasikevicius has picked him to train, play and even travel to some Euroleague games with the main Zalgiris squad. The main reason? Quick and smart decision making relative to his age. He's not a freak athlete or anything like that, just another kid who knows how to play the GAME. :)

hooter73
02-20-2018, 08:28 AM
The toughness that you get from euro players is worth quite a bit in my mind. Arlauskas has a high and seemingly slow dribble, but that is all stuff to work on later. He sees the lane and goes for it, not something a lot of guys do. Neat find.

CDC84
02-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Already committed to Gonzaga for next year, Petrusev is a fluid, smooth-shooting stretch big who should be a perfect fit in Spokane. He’s teammates with potential 2019 No.1 pick R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy, and was able to shine with some nice moments in the camp environment. He’s not a surefire NBA guy, but has the size and shooting tools going for him and will be in a great situation for his development. After helping lead Serbia to a title in last summer’s U18 Euros, Petrusev is a player to track long-term with some projectable utility at the NBA level.

This evaluation surprises me, because former draftexpress.com draft guru Jonathan Givony has spoken glowingly about Petrusev and his future. That he is a "surefire" NBA player, but that it might take a couple of years as he still needs development and needs to get used to the American game. Givony is usually spot on. Petrusev also had a ton of big time offers for a so-called borderline prospect.

OntZags
02-20-2018, 10:19 AM
This evaluation surprises me, because former draftexpress.com draft guru Jonathan Givony has spoken glowingly about Petrusev and his future. That he is a "surefire" NBA player, but that it might take a couple of years as he still needs development and needs to get used to the American game. Givony is usually spot on. Petrusev also had a ton of big time offers for a so-called borderline prospect.

I've never been given a sense that he is a surefire NBA guy and he certainly isn't ranked like one. (in any given class, you might have a dozen 'surefire' NBA guys and even that might be stretching it.)

Not sure the meaning of your last point to be honest. Blue blood programs recruit non surefire guys every class.

I see nothing deflating about the review. He clearly held his own and had some moments in a camp that features some bona fide surefire prospects and has NBA potential. Sounds awesome to me. I generally like the prospect of guy more likely to stay 3-4 years anyway.

Zags_Fanatic
02-20-2018, 11:50 AM
:D

This is a very interesting development. It seems that Gonzaga is targeting the sons of the legendary 80s Zalgiris players. Arlauskas' father was Arvydas Sabonis teammate, although a bit older at the time, and obviously not the main guy. But it's safe to say that Martynas has basketball in his DNA. Even though Arlauskas is only 17, Jasikevicius has picked him to train, play and even travel to some Euroleague games with the main Zalgiris squad. The main reason? Quick and smart decision making relative to his age. He's not a freak athlete or anything like that, just another kid who knows how to play the GAME. :)

Thank you, my friend. Loving all of the Gonzaga connections with both Arlauskas and Pekarski.

caldwellzag
02-22-2018, 01:45 PM
Thought I would share this link.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-Without-Borders-Which-prospects-helped-their-stock-at-the-prestigious-international-event-115389652

Martynas Arlauskas, SF, Lithuania

This was our second viewing of Martynas Arlauskas, the first coming this past summer at the NBPA Top 100 Camp. Arlauskas, who is on the college track, is a native of Lithuania and currently plays for Žalgiris’ junior team. Arlauskas looked improved since last summer, as he has grown at least an inch to 6-7 and showed a versatile scoring attack. Arlauksas has a high skill level and showed confidence as a shooter from mid-range out to three. He does have a slight fade on his shot, but he has quite of bit of potential in this area. Arlauskas competed on both ends, is a talented passer and was charted with a 37-inch vertical. Arlauskas is a high major prospect.

Recruiting: Gonzaga, Texas Tech

CDC84
02-22-2018, 02:17 PM
I see Petrusev is now ranked at #67 (composite) in the 2018 class at 247. I think he was at #80 before.

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2018, 03:15 PM
I see Petrusev is now ranked at #67 (composite) in the 2018 class at 247. I think he was at #80 before.

Um.....Petrusev isn't Lithuanian. :D

basketballzag
02-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Um.....Petrusev isn't Lithuanian. :D

And someone at 247 need to explain to me how in the world Kamaka Hepa is ranked above Petrusev!

DagsZags
02-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Martynas Arlauskas: Highlights of 2019 Lithuanian wing at BWB

https://247sports.com/Article/Martynas-Arlauskas-Highlights-of-2019-Lithuanian-wing-at-Basketball-Without-Borders-115588725

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Good vision. Some nice passing. Not all those would fly at the D1 level but the fact that he can see the play that far ahead and know where to place the ball, impressive.