• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Heister Fox and Dickau

Now that the Root Sports Broadcast season is over I felt it appropriate to comment on what I thought was an improved broadcast this season. There was still some goofball stuff, but overall I thought the crew was more professional and I felt like Greg did less baiting of Dickau and Fox. In the blowouts I'm sure it was tempting to go astray however I feel like they stayed on track much better than in seasons past. I still like 2 in the booth better than 3 , that will probably never change on this or any other broadcast unless the 3rd guy is "Onions".
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Heister was clearly better.
    I think they peruse this board. After I created a Richard Fox drinking game of “easy/good/clear call by the official there”, I felt he went out of his way not to say it. He started to this weekend and caught himself.
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
      Heister was clearly better.
      I think they peruse this board. After I created a Richard Fox drinking game of “easy/good/clear call by the official there”, I felt he went out of his way not to say it. He started to this weekend and caught himself.
      Heister had the most to improve and did. Less chatty stuff. Fox still rambles on and never fails to insert superlatives into every sentence. Best this, best that, one of the best this...... enough, we get it, you’re a homer. DD has the most to say and says the least. And he too pulls many punches, though he’s surprisingly candid on Josh’s errant play.

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

I thought the group improved this season.

I like the way they present themselves and the game. We watch GU because we are part of the “GU Family;” subsequentially, I don’t mind their banter or descriptions of the players or the way they are playing...they too are family and ROOT Sports is home to GU...I wouldn’t want excessive objectivity from those three as it would distort the game IMO...

I listened to DD yesterday when he was doing the UNR - USU game...he is quite good and believe he hasn’t left GU is because he loves the area and GU...it’s home...

Working for ESPN, FOX, NBC or CBS would keep him on the road and it appears he is pretty big on family...

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

I thought Heister was as awful as ever. I think Fox and Dickau are positives. I still think Heister would be ideal for Monster Trucks and Tractor-Trailer Mud pulls. Maybe WWE. On the radio side, I like Huddy Buddy a lot. Ammo drones monotone too long for my taste.
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• TravelinZag
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
            I thought Heister was as awful as ever. I think Fox and Dickau are positives. I still think Heister would be ideal for Monster Trucks and Tractor-Trailer Mud pulls. Maybe WWE. On the radio side, I like Huddy Buddy a lot. Ammo drones monotone too long for my taste.
            Two out of three is not bad, but it’s not great.

Comment

• UIZag
              Redshirt
              • Jan 2014

They are a below average team no matter what combination. They are still an embarrassing group improved or not.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Of the group, Fox is my favorite. I enjoy him. Overall, I thought the broadcasts this season are significantly improved over the past. I found myself not noticing them which is good. They tended to blend in to the viewing experience better.
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2015

I'm more than old enough to remember no t-v at all. Radio (maybe) and newspaper the next day was it. So with that history for perspective, these guys are outstanding! Everything is relative.

Just wondering how many posters that aren't especially fond of them either turn the sound off or watch t-v, listen radio?

Comment

• 23dpg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Maybe he’s just worn me down but I honestly thought he was much improved.

Poll?
                    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

I agree that significant improvement was made.

Heister brings access like few have. When he talks about what coaches have been telling him, that's when he's best IMO and I think he did more of that, less of story-telling or jawing DD and Fox.

I think both DD and Fox could raise their games quite a bit. Seems like maybe time to try someone new.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• abarefootboy
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2007

I too am old enough to not remember anything.
                        I mute the sound, freeze the tv image until I can sync Huddie Buddie.
                        humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by abarefootboy View Post
                          I too am old enough to not remember anything. .
                          Wait; is that a good thing?
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                            Of the group, Fox is my favorite. I enjoy him. Overall, I thought the broadcasts this season are significantly improved over the past. I found myself not noticing them which is good. They tended to blend in to the viewing experience better.
                            I agree about Richard Fox, to me he clearly has the best combination of insight and delivery of the three.

Comment

• zagfan24
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jun 2008

Agree on the improvement, and I also think many people would be shocked at the level of difficulty of broadcasting games. Especially 30 point blowout wins or up 15 throughout trudges. There's a reason even high level network guys get ripped apart by fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X