PDA

View Full Version : Heister Fox and Dickau

Birddog
02-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Now that the Root Sports Broadcast season is over I felt it appropriate to comment on what I thought was an improved broadcast this season. There was still some goofball stuff, but overall I thought the crew was more professional and I felt like Greg did less baiting of Dickau and Fox. In the blowouts I'm sure it was tempting to go astray however I feel like they stayed on track much better than in seasons past. I still like 2 in the booth better than 3 , that will probably never change on this or any other broadcast unless the 3rd guy is "Onions".

23dpg
02-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Heister was clearly better.
I think they peruse this board. After I created a Richard Fox drinking game of “easy/good/clear call by the official there”, I felt he went out of his way not to say it. He started to this weekend and caught himself.

jazzdelmar
02-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Heister was clearly better.
I think they peruse this board. After I created a Richard Fox drinking game of “easy/good/clear call by the official there”, I felt he went out of his way not to say it. He started to this weekend and caught himself.

Heister had the most to improve and did. Less chatty stuff. Fox still rambles on and never fails to insert superlatives into every sentence. Best this, best that, one of the best this...... enough, we get it, you’re a homer. DD has the most to say and says the least. And he too pulls many punches, though he’s surprisingly candid on Josh’s errant play.

Bogozags
02-18-2018, 02:27 PM
I thought the group improved this season.

I like the way they present themselves and the game. We watch GU because we are part of the “GU Family;” subsequentially, I don’t mind their banter or descriptions of the players or the way they are playing...they too are family and ROOT Sports is home to GU...I wouldn’t want excessive objectivity from those three as it would distort the game IMO...

I listened to DD yesterday when he was doing the UNR - USU game...he is quite good and believe he hasn’t left GU is because he loves the area and GU...it’s home...

Working for ESPN, FOX, NBC or CBS would keep him on the road and it appears he is pretty big on family...

BobZag
02-18-2018, 03:40 PM
I thought Heister was as awful as ever. I think Fox and Dickau are positives. I still think Heister would be ideal for Monster Trucks and Tractor-Trailer Mud pulls. Maybe WWE. On the radio side, I like Huddy Buddy a lot. Ammo drones monotone too long for my taste.

TravelinZag
02-18-2018, 04:40 PM
I thought Heister was as awful as ever. I think Fox and Dickau are positives. I still think Heister would be ideal for Monster Trucks and Tractor-Trailer Mud pulls. Maybe WWE. On the radio side, I like Huddy Buddy a lot. Ammo drones monotone too long for my taste.

Two out of three is not bad, but it’s not great.

UIZag
02-18-2018, 04:41 PM
They are a below average team no matter what combination. They are still an embarrassing group improved or not.

kitzbuel
02-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Of the group, Fox is my favorite. I enjoy him. Overall, I thought the broadcasts this season are significantly improved over the past. I found myself not noticing them which is good. They tended to blend in to the viewing experience better.

MontanaCoyote
02-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I'm more than old enough to remember no t-v at all. Radio (maybe) and newspaper the next day was it. So with that history for perspective, these guys are outstanding! Everything is relative.

Just wondering how many posters that aren't especially fond of them either turn the sound off or watch t-v, listen radio?

23dpg
02-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Maybe he’s just worn me down but I honestly thought he was much improved.

Poll?

DixieZag
02-18-2018, 05:47 PM
I agree that significant improvement was made.

Heister brings access like few have. When he talks about what coaches have been telling him, that's when he's best IMO and I think he did more of that, less of story-telling or jawing DD and Fox.

I think both DD and Fox could raise their games quite a bit. Seems like maybe time to try someone new.

abarefootboy
02-18-2018, 05:48 PM
I too am old enough to not remember anything.
I mute the sound, freeze the tv image until I can sync Huddie Buddie.

sittingon50
02-18-2018, 05:59 PM
I too am old enough to not remember anything. .

Wait; is that a good thing?

VinnyZag
02-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Of the group, Fox is my favorite. I enjoy him. Overall, I thought the broadcasts this season are significantly improved over the past. I found myself not noticing them which is good. They tended to blend in to the viewing experience better.

I agree about Richard Fox, to me he clearly has the best combination of insight and delivery of the three.

zagfan24
02-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Agree on the improvement, and I also think many people would be shocked at the level of difficulty of broadcasting games. Especially 30 point blowout wins or up 15 throughout trudges. There's a reason even high level network guys get ripped apart by fans.

zagbeliever
02-18-2018, 06:54 PM
I find DD and RF a little arrogant at times. It annoys me but that's just me. They don't bother my husband but he can't hear very well. :roll:

bballbeachbum
02-18-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm more than old enough to remember no t-v at all. Radio (maybe) and newspaper the next day was it. So with that history for perspective, these guys are outstanding! Everything is relative.

Just wondering how many posters that aren't especially fond of them either turn the sound off or watch t-v, listen radio?

I mute unless it's the home crew calling the game actually. Used to mute them too but tried them again and Heister doesn't bother me, and I trust listening to them all call the Zags. I like Fox most but also DD, and enjoy listening to them talk Zag basketball.

seacatfan
02-18-2018, 07:47 PM
They didn't get on my nerves this year. Not sure if they improved, I wasn't paying attention, or my bar has been lowered. I will say a 3 man broadcast team is redundant. There's really no reason to have more than 2 (I've caught parts of some women's games on Pac 12 Network w/ only 1, and it works perfectly fine).

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
I like them.

amaronizag
02-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Much improved. No problem with the 3 man combo.

roxdoc
02-18-2018, 10:45 PM
They seem to have improved some, but I'm old school and like to hear the game actually called
Not just a series of antidotes and quips, with plays mentioned in passing. I like to know who the foul was on and how many they have now, etc etc. Although DD and Fox talk a little technical from time to time its not just the same as hearing Hudson describing the flow in detail and Ammo talking technical (sorry BZ but i prefer his drone to blather). I really enjoy watching and but most importantly hearing the detailed process of the game and its flow from people who are knowledgeable and dedicated to do just that. LOL My headphones are next to the TV and are pre-dialed in and ready to go!

zaguarxj
02-19-2018, 05:47 AM
If Root would get off their greedy ##### and make a deal with DirecTV, I might actually get to see those 3 in action. Utterly ridiculous in this day and age, when it is so easy to get an illegal stream.

Birddog
02-19-2018, 06:16 AM
If Root would get off their greedy ##### and make a deal with DirecTV, I might actually get to see those 3 in action. Utterly ridiculous in this day and age, when it is so easy to get an illegal stream.

Root Sports IS carried by DirecTV, I watched all but (I think) 2 games carried by ATSWHD ch 674 here in Oklahoma. They were also carried by Root Sports NW and Root Sports RM. To receive the latter 2 channels I believe you have to have an extended (sports) pkg. Which channel you receive on DirecTV depends on where you live. The only game not televised by Root or one of the ESPN's was the GU at UW game which i believe was carried by Pac10 Network.

Newbs55
02-19-2018, 06:32 AM
The few games that Sam Adams (who is also awesome broadcasting the Eastern Football games) filled in for Heister we're the best of the year. He actually has enough knowledge of the stats and who's who that he frees the other to just talk about the flow of the game. The way any good team should do whether it is two or three guys.

Spike94
02-19-2018, 06:37 AM
They are a below average team no matter what combination. They are still an embarrassing group improved or not.

Embarrassing? Isn't that kind of harsh? They may not be as good as national teams, but I am certainly not embarrassed that they are out team.

hockeyzag
02-19-2018, 06:40 AM
I’m also in agreement that they improved from last season. Clearly more professional. There was less of the childishness and picking on each other.
I remember one game in particular last year where it got really bad and I had just had it with their antics and sent Heister a message via twitter. It got a response from all three, and it was as if they were oblivious to how they were coming across. Maybe someone got through to them prior to this season.

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2018, 06:59 AM
I've always been a big fan of the trio, but maybe I'm just a huge homer.

As an aside, I got to meet Heister in Arizona last year at the National Championship game. He was decked out in GU attire, and was as genuine and nice as they come. That's good enough to earn my approval of him!!

Zagger
02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
I feel the trio are improving with age :)

I'd like to see some improvement in The Mark Few Show - such as less PR video and more substance. It seems like there's 10 mins of content and 20 mins of fluff or advertising. The content is pretty good but just not much of it.

GrizZAG
02-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Root Sports IS carried by DirecTV, I watched all but (I think) 2 games carried by ATSWHD ch 674 here in Oklahoma. They were also carried by Root Sports NW and Root Sports RM. To receive the latter 2 channels I believe you have to have an extended (sports) pkg. Which channel you receive on DirecTV depends on where you live. The only game not televised by Root or one of the ESPN's was the GU at UW game which i believe was carried by Pac10 Network.

Same for me in Phoenix with Direct TV. I think I'm paying an additional ten bucks a month to get Root NW down here. Yes, had to find a way to watch PAC 12 to get the UW game. If you have Direct TV you can request that you get Root NW and it will be done. You get an occasional St. Marys or other WCC game thrown in as well.

Zags11
02-19-2018, 08:51 AM
I find DD and RF a little arrogant at times. It annoys me but that's just me. They don't bother my husband but he can't hear very well. :roll:

DD comes across that way as well to me. I've met heister and he is a great guy. Fox I like. I like all 3. I'm a Homer.

Zags11
02-19-2018, 08:52 AM

As an aside, I got to meet Heister in Arizona last year at the National Championship game. He was decked out in GU attire, and was as genuine and nice as they come. That's good enough to earn my approval of him!!

Agree on all points.

Zagceo
02-19-2018, 09:11 AM

couldn't resist

https://orig00.deviantart.net/40f3/f/2013/133/0/9/animation_homer_belly_on_the_towel_rack_by_bendavl-d655bm3.gif

Saxon_zag
02-19-2018, 09:14 AM
I like the group personally. The goofball stuff helps you get by the wcc cellar dweller games lol. Good broadcasts this year!

thebigsmoove
02-19-2018, 11:59 AM
I mute the sound, freeze the tv image until I can sync Huddie Buddie.

I dont know why ive never thought of doing this. Definitely gonna try this out on thursday, thanks for the recommendation.

Mantua
02-19-2018, 12:22 PM
They seem to have improved some, but I'm old school and like to hear the game actually called
Not just a series of antidotes and quips, with plays mentioned in passing. I like to know who the foul was on and how many they have now, etc etc. Although DD and Fox talk a little technical from time to time its not just the same as hearing Hudson describing the flow in detail and Ammo talking technical (sorry BZ but i prefer his drone to blather). I really enjoy watching and but most importantly hearing the detailed process of the game and its flow from people who are knowledgeable and dedicated to do just that. LOL My headphones are next to the TV and are pre-dialed in and ready to go!

This.

BayAreaZagFan
02-19-2018, 01:25 PM
I didn't like Heister when he first came to Spokane, but since I've moved away, I like him. Although I thought he overused the term "three-ball" early on and I'm not too thrilled hearing "flush" every time someone dunks, I do like him calling the games vs. someone with less of a connection to the school and the area. As far as the occasional non-"technical" interaction between him and Dickau and Fox, those are some of my favorite parts of the broadcast. For the most part, we know how every game is going to come out (the good guys will prevail), so it's not like we're really missing anything by them taking a few plays off to poke fun at each other. Whenever I get to watch them call the games, it makes me feel like I'm back home instead of living a thousand miles away.

I never saw Heister in Arizona, but I did spend a few minutes talking (up) to Richard Fox. He's a good guy, too.

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2018, 01:44 PM
couldn't resist

https://orig00.deviantart.net/40f3/f/2013/133/0/9/animation_homer_belly_on_the_towel_rack_by_bendavl-d655bm3.gif

I'm ALSO that type of huge homer. :lmao:

Love it. Great gif.

Zagmother
02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
I thought they had improved this season and I would much rather listen to them than the ESPN crew. . .

Zagdog71
02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Heister does a fine job on the Mark Few Show. His Flashback segments and player interviews are the only things worth watching for me. He asks Mark good leading questions but Mark has only slightly improved over the years. Mark's responses are usually a repeat show to show.

Heister can be professional when doing non-Zag games. Not a topnotch announcer but decent. I've watched him do Pac12 games at UW and WSU. And I think with Roots outside of Spokane as well. Does ok.

But he can hardly restrain himself as a homer for GU games. A big contrast to Hudson, who is obviously the local radiio guy. Yet Hudson is very easy to listen to and any bias is in check. I haven't listened this year to Mo and I must before the season is finished. Really like him as a player and a straight shooter (no pun).

Back to Heister. He should be replaced. Dan may have the knowledge but just doesn't have the polished presentation of an analyist. Fox does an ok job.

I would make another comparison: Heister to Brad Adams. Adams does many U of Portland games on Roots. Adams is polished, professional and even handed – IMHO.

ESPN broadcast teams use the same talking points over and over. Gets old for Zag followers. It is hard for any group to handle blowout games. They wander some time to time.

Heister vs. Walton. Well, one is suppose to be the play-by-play announcer and the other a color analyst/commentator. One is a big joke. Which one fits that description is obvious.

We deserve much better than Heister even if there has been some improvement this year.

RenoZag
02-19-2018, 06:57 PM

I switched to DIRECTV when Charter did not offer ROOT. It's expensive but seeing the Zags is worth it.

peg645
02-19-2018, 07:23 PM
I really like them! Maybe it is because I live in Illinois and when there is no national TV, theW gives me the opportunity to see my team. Worrired about USD...