PDA

View Full Version : We'll see if Gonzaga's defense has improved when...

CDC84
10-29-2007, 11:58 AM
...they take on Western Kentucky. I was just looking over some stats from the Hilltoppers last season, and they put up some tremendous offensive numbers. The team shot 48.2% from the floor overall and 40.4% from the 3 point line. WKU averaged 78.2 PPG. As we have mentioned before on this board, WKU's has a future pro in wing Courtney Lee who can score all over the floor and is a terrific athlete.

The Hilltoppers were a horrible defensive team last season (47.1% defensive field goal %) and aren't the best rebounding team, so the Zags will have some advantages going into this game. But if Gonzaga wants to win this game to advance to the 2nd round of the Great Alaska Shootout, they better defend.

rennis
10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Shootout baby! The kind of game GU likes to play.

MDABE80
10-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Defense wins championships. If it's true that they have one guy, let's use LG and Ira!!.Shut Down Courtney Lee and do 4 on 4. We win a 4 on 4 game. We need a "glue" guy on him. We have some great defenders this year. Use em! Sorry fellas...I'm just nuts today........hardly can wait for the games to start. GO ZAGS!!!

TheZagPhish
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry fellas...I'm just nuts today........hardly can wait for the games to start. GO ZAGS!!!

I think we're all there. I'm looking at that single digit day countdown and flipping out. This has been a long, LONG off season. Bring it!

bigjeep
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey guys; here is a season preview on WKU. It gives you a much, much better picture of the Tops than I ever could, writen by our own leader at Haven...best of luck (ya`ll)and can`t wait for the Alaska Shootout...

WKU Hilltoppers! (http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/07-08preview.html)

cggonzaga
10-29-2007, 02:00 PM
As long as we defend on the perimeter this year I think we'll be pretty good defensively. Our length and athleticism hopefully add up to a good defense. I also think teams will be a little gun shy going into the paint this year. Not only do we have big guys in there but they all like to bang. I'm personally looking forward to a total transformation of the defense. We have no reason not to be good this year.

ZagNative
10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Hey guys; here is a season preview on WKU. It gives you a much, much better picture of the Tops than I ever could, writen by our own leader at Haven...best of luck (ya`ll)and can`t wait for the Alaska Shootout...

WKU Hilltoppers! (http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/07-08preview.html)
Welcome back, bigjeep. Best of luck to WKU this season, except in the G.A.S., of course.

WKU Slam Dunk
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Defense wins championships. If it's true that they have one guy, let's use LG and Ira!!.Shut Down Courtney Lee and do 4 on 4. We win a 4 on 4 game. We need a "glue" guy on him. We have some great defenders this year. Use em! Sorry fellas...I'm just nuts today........hardly can wait for the games to start. GO ZAGS!!!

We are definately more than one guy (at least offensively). We were deep last year and will be deeper this year. Our offense was reasonably balanced last year.

The thing that scares me about Gonzaga is your big men as we were at times soft in the paint last year. We return several big men that might have improved and we have a couple of promising new comers that will help, but I am not sure that we have the manpower to contend with Josh Heytvelt in particular.

Still, I think we have a team that can make a game of it and possibly win. I think the summary of our team last year is fair... we were an excellent offensive team that was lacking in defense and suspect in rebounding. That's it in a nutshell. But we return basically everybody and I would think and hope that our staff would be trying to rectify those shortcomings at this very moment.

So we'll see. Looking forward to Thanksgiving!

BobZag
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Win or lose, I hope WKU makes the Big Dance. The more teams that we play that win their conferences and go to March Madness the better for us. Ditto for Montana, Utah, etc.

rennis
10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Win or lose, I hope WKU makes the Big Dance. The more teams that we play that win their conferences and go to March Madness the better for us. Ditto for Montana, Utah, etc.

x2. I hope half (or more) of our preseason games end up being tournament teams.

CDC84
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
One man teams don't shoot 48.2% from the floor as a team. That figure is the sign of a talented offense with 5 guys on the floor who know exactly what they're doing. And WKU lost very little off of last year's team.

Interesting note....WKU ranked 22nd in the nation in field goal % last season. Who was ranked at 21? Gonzaga. 48.3% compared to 48.2%.

The Sun Belt is not going to be a pushover league...WKU is going to have to work at winning it. I am sure schools like South Alabama will put up a fight. But I have yet to see any publication that doesn't have the Hilltoppers as the favorite.

bigjeep
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Here`s another little tidbit, just to give you a twinge of uncertainty of what to expect from our game...;)

ESPN BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS FOR THE TOPPERS...

BACKCOURT: A
BENCH/DEPTH: A-
FRONTCOURT: B
INTANGIBLES: A

Have a nice one...

Hoopmeister
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm really Reborn. :)

I'm totally excited about the chance to play the Hilltoppers. It's going to be a very fun game (lots of points). I like a fast paced, up and down game. I'm pulling for them to make the Big Dance as well. I'm looking forward to seeing their All-American Courney Lee. He sounds pretty good.

Zags will be better on D next year. Bouldin has trimmed down, and is a year older (as is Pargo, Heytvelt, Downs, Kuso, Pendo). The Zags have hired a new coach who WILL insist upon a tough, better defense. We have two solid shot blockers down low in Heytvelt and Kuso. Sacre and Davis will add more off the bench. We WILL be better defensively down low for sure. When we have this inside strength it is easier to defend the outside shot because our guards will be able to play up tighter on the men they are guarding. Thus making it harder to score from the outside.

I'm excited about seeing a tougher Zag team in 07-08. I love Defense. But just as important, is our ability to rebound better. There will be no comparrison, imo, between last year and this year. We were a poor rebounding team last year, especially after Josh was suspended. With Sacre, Davis and Daye coming off the bench we will certainly be better. Rebounding is one of the keys to winning.

Nevtelen
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Zags will be better on D next year. Bouldin has trimmed down, and is a year older (as is Pargo, Heytvelt, Downs, Kuso, Pendo). The Zags have hired a new coach who WILL insist upon a tough, better defense. We have two solid shot blockers down low in Heytvelt and Kuso. Sacre and Davis will add more off the bench. We WILL be better defensively down low for sure. When we have this inside strength it is easier to defend the outside shot because our guards will be able to play up tighter on the men they are guarding. Thus making it harder to score from the outside.

In the B-W scrimmage, at least, Daye had a block as well as Sacre, both of which looked pretty good. I'm sure Davis will be capable once he get up to speed. Add that to Josh and Kuso and we could definitely have one of the best shot-blocking teams in the country.

I agree as far as rebounding, as well. The team working hard at it last year, but just didn't have the height or athleticism to be a good rebounding team. This year's team should be much better, considering all the quality rebounding our guards did last year and how much more height and athleticism the team brings.

As far as overall D, the staff has said multiple times already that the depth will let them be more demanding of good D from their players on the floor.

zag67
10-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I agree that the defense should be a lot better than last year and maybe the best that we have seen in many years. I also think as you see them working harder on the defense and on rebounding, you will see less minutes for some of the starters. Too many times a team does not have the depth and therefore the players either rest on the defensive or offensive end of the court. But I think that the fewer minutes will be goodness. If they are working to the max on both ends of the court, then they are going to need more short rests. With the depth that we have I think that we should be able to give them those short breaks (and down grade the team) so that they can work harder during the time they are on the court.