PDA

View Full Version : Rankings: RPI, BPI, KenPom

23dpg
02-18-2018, 08:31 AM
As of this morning, Gonzaga’s RPI plummeted to 45. The BPI is 11 and the AP voters will have them 6-8th. Not sure of KenPom.
These numbers may allow the committee to keep them out of a top 4 seed and out of Boise.

Any other metrics out there? (Not that the committee cares)

23dpg
02-18-2018, 08:32 AM
KenPom is 9.

Hoopaholic
02-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Kenpom 9 overall

14 best adjusted offense
18 best adjusted defense

One of only 3 d1 schools with both adjusted ratings in top 18

GoZags
02-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Kenpom 9 overall

14 best adjusted offense
18 best adjusted defense

The other two are Purdue and Michigan State.

realtydog
02-18-2018, 09:38 AM
RPI is a joke.......Buffalo is at #28......with 0-4 vs. top 50 & 2-5 vs. top 100.

23dpg
02-18-2018, 09:41 AM
RPI is a joke.......Buffalo is at #28......with 0-4 vs. top 50 & 2-5 vs. top 100.

No one disagrees with that. Well the committee disagrees, but everyone who knows anything about basketball doesn’t.

caduceus
02-18-2018, 04:35 PM

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Should be updated later today.

DixieZag
02-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Not a metric, but a number, I saw that the bracket matrix people have Zags as the top 5th Seed, one space OUT of the protected 4s, as of Friday Feb 16.

Thus, the bracket people (all averaged together) predicted to have the top 5th seed.

23dpg
02-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Bracket matrix still has Gonzaga as a 5, not all that close to a 4 really. Half a point away. 4 brackets have Gonzaga as an 8 seed. Just ridiculous.

Btw, one bracket has the Gaels out. They average a 9.

CdAZagFan
02-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Btw, one bracket has the Gaels out. They average a 9.

Not going by any of the numbers here, but just looking at the Gaels schedule and wins/losses I can't imagine the committee putting them in over the myriad of middle-of-the-pack power conference schools (barring winning the WCC tourney). The turmoil in all the power conferences, in my opinion, will lead to fewer spots for mid-majors. I personally hope they can make it in, but just don't see it if they don't win the conference tourney. Likewise, if GU doesn't win the tourney (and/or loses one of their last two conference games) there will be a little hand-wringing...

RenoZag
02-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Sagarin shows the Zags at 10, SMC 37

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

WallaWallaZag
02-19-2018, 05:00 AM
Not going by any of the numbers here, but just looking at the Gaels schedule and wins/losses I can't imagine the committee putting them in over the myriad of middle-of-the-pack power conference schools (barring winning the WCC tourney). The turmoil in all the power conferences, in my opinion, will lead to fewer spots for mid-majors. I personally hope they can make it in, but just don't see it if they don't win the conference tourney. Likewise, if GU doesn't win the tourney (and/or loses one of their last two conference games) there will be a little hand-wringing...

zags are a lock...they could lose the last three and still get in as a 9 or 10...

TravelinZag
02-19-2018, 09:24 AM
zags are a lock...they could lose the last three and still get in as a 9 or 10...

Don’t want in as an 8, 9, or 10. If the committee wants to downgrade the Zags, give them a 13 or 14. If they win the first game (vs. a 3 or 4), they are back to the path they earned. If the committee wants to justify their premature judgement and punish the Zags, they’ll give them 8 or 9 — second game vs. a number 1 seed.

Kemo 1966
02-19-2018, 09:44 AM
As of this morning, Gonzaga’s RPI plummeted to 45. The BPI is 11 and the AP voters will have them 6-8th. Not sure of KenPom.
These numbers may allow the committee to keep them out of a top 4 seed and out of Boise.

Be careful what you wish for....... I've seen a few variations of the brackets...and here's the worst and best I've seen, so far.

J. Palm: has Zags in Boise, [EAST BRACKET?, AS a 4. Playing East Tenn. St and (guess who...as I have mentioned on other threads) #5 W. VA. vs ??? play-in game for #12 (one such play-in might be Wash vs St Bonn.).... after the #4 vs #5 match up, Hep Villanova is the #1.

J. Lunardi: has Zags a #5 in San Diego {West Region}...vs #12 N. Mex St.; and #4 is Arizona playing S. Dakota St....with #8 Nevada (playing Houston) and #1 Kansas vs Wagner.

IMO Gonzaga belongs in the WEST and could be ranked as high as #3....... N.M. St plays an in your face style like W. Va. but I don't think they have enough weapons.... San Diego beat them, i think? If Kansas is a #1 somewhere.... THEY will be the first number #1 to lose and it could be as early as the round of 32!

Other 'East' or South brackets have N. Carolina Convicts & Assoc. Felons in ZAGS bracket.

How ever, make no mistake about it, if 'other metrics' rise in the benevolent 'MAGNOLIA GARDEN COMMITTEE OF NCAA'.... say like this last 12?..... it used to be the 'Last Ten" ....it obviously tries to promote their 'Flower childs...also rans'.... say #8,9,10 of ACC, #8 SEC, and #'s 6,7, or 8 of the "BIG 12" ( curiously they only have 10 basketball teams?) Take out those "wannabe's' ... last dog trash of the Power conferences (if you think SMC's OOC scheduling is poor...take a look at these schools) this year you could have 8 open spots ... and Judge the so called 'BUBBLE LIST' with the BPI, Ken Pom.... etc. Zags should STAY OUT WEST, and take each game ONE AT A TIME. IMO they will do fine.... How well the play of Perkins, Melson, Kispert & Norville continues to develop.... will carry them ... perhaps to the Elite 8 (and after that....it depends upon the match-ups, IMO) I believe Tillie, Rui,& Williams will definitely HOLD there own!

Coach Crazy
02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Kenpom 9 overall

14 best adjusted offense
18 best adjusted defense

That last part is important. Last year, these adjusted’s wouldn’t have looked as good, but there clearly isn’t those top 3-5 teams that are head and shoulders better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willandi
02-20-2018, 10:10 AM
For those that want to schedule higher RPI teams, and w/o having an extra travel expense, here are 5 regional teams:
Montana 109
Idaho 122
Eastern 154
Oregon State 168
Washington State 173
The close proximity of those schools would certainly lend a flavor of rivalry, would ramp up the RPI, but at a danger of actually losing the game.

Would your preference be to have better RPI opponents and lose or a bevy of cupcakes mixed in with the name schools the Zags play?

CDC84
02-20-2018, 10:33 AM
For those that want to schedule higher RPI teams, and w/o having an extra travel expense, here are 5 regional teams:
Montana 109
Idaho 122
Eastern 154
Oregon State 168
Washington State 168

The close proximity of those schools would certainly lend a flavor of rivalry, would ramp up the RPI, but at a danger of actually losing the game.

Would your preference be to have better RPI opponents and lose or a bevy of cupcakes mixed in with the name schools the Zags play?

My preference would be to examine rosters and coaching changes and make sure that everyone I schedule figures to have an RPI that is less than 199. The only game where proximity to campus would matter is the first game after finals week. To make it easier on the opponent. Of course who knows how much the RPI is even going to matter next season........

The problem is that I am a fan, and I am not in the business of making money for the athletic dept. All of these schools will ask for more money than Texas Southern, Incarnate Word, and Howard. Especially if they know, as Montana did before this season, that they were going to have a really good team. When a SWAC team comes to GU, it's usually as a part of a big western road trip. They go from Los Angeles to Berkeley to Eugene to Spokane, etc. It's not like they are flying from Mississippi to Spokane and back. The guarantee games are not just scheduled to give Gonzaga a break from their relentless non-league schedule. They are scheduled to generate as much money as possible for the men's basketball program. It costs GU almost zilch to bring in an Incarnate Word. Whether you bring in Montana or Incarnate Word, the game is going to sell out regardless. It's about business. Go with the cheapest team.

WSU is not going to agree to anything but a home and home. Gonzaga has already shown they are no longer interested in that until WSU vastly improves as a program. It'll probably take a coaching change as well.

I would imagine Oregon State will ask for a return game. Ain't gonna happen when GU can schedule home and homes vs. teams like North Carolina.

JAGzag
02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Montana 109
Idaho 122
Eastern 154
Oregon State 168
Washington State 168

Since we usually play really good ball early in the season, the risk of losing a home game to any of those schools is minimal. We've seen what a handful of sub 300 schools can do to our RPI and since that is still important, yes, I would absolutely face one or two of those regional teams.

former1dog
02-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Put me down as a vote for playing traditional regional rivalries, regardless of the numbers. Its good for the fans and I think its good for the team/players.

realtydog
02-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Put me down as a vote for playing traditional regional rivalries, regardless of the numbers. Its good for the fans and I think its good for the team/players.

agreed ----much rather see Idaho than South Alabama

But the problem --------Idaho wants a return game?????? South Alabama wants $

former1dog
02-20-2018, 11:26 AM
agreed ----much rather see Idaho than South Alabama

But the problem --------Idaho wants a return game?????? South Alabama wants $

Do they? (Honest question as I didn't know that.)

It seems we played Montana and EWU a bunch of times in the kennel and never visited Missoula or Cheney. At least not for years.

Seems Coach Few has lots of friends in the coaching business and is always doing favors and playing bottom dwelling teams from hither and yawn!!

willandi
02-20-2018, 11:32 AM
The 3 that hurt are Texas Southern at 267, Howard and Incarnate Word in the 340's.

Maybe 2 games each year, out of the 5 I listed, even as a 'round robin' type with home and home?

I know it is easier to pay the really poor teams, but surely there is a way to step up some w/o breaking the bank.

Still. The season is what it is. If the Zags get a 3-4 seed in Boise, most here on the board will be happy, especially in this rebuilding year.

realtydog
02-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Do they? (Honest question as I didn't know that.)

It seems we played Montana and EWU a bunch of times in the kennel and never visited Missoula or Cheney. At least not for years.

Seems Coach Few has lots of friends in the coaching business and is always doing favors and playing bottom dwelling teams from hither and yawn!!

review the history of Idaho----it ended with us playing them in the Spectrum ---going forward....they wanted return game and GU said no thanks

former1dog
02-20-2018, 11:50 AM
review the history of Idaho----it ended with us playing them in the Spectrum ---going forward....they wanted return game and GU said no thanks

Well, that is to bad. Although I think it would be fair of GU to pay return games, it really doesn't fit into our plans unfortunately and I see how that would be a deal killer.

maynard g krebs
02-20-2018, 12:12 PM
If the committee wants to downgrade the Zags, give them a 13 or 14.

Can't happen. 13/14 are auto bids for the lower tier conferences.