PDA

View Full Version : It's Game Day, the best day of the week. GU vs Pepperdine

Reborn
02-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Good morning Zag fans. What a sweet and wonderful day this is. This is a special one because it's senior night. The night we honor our seniors. Special. Especially for Melson for me because he's been here for four years. These kind of players really grow on you, and when their gone we really miss them. I will always remember him for his good outside shooting. I will also remember him for his toughness and "nail down" defender. JW3 has a great, short career at Gonzaga, and I'm certainly going to miss his toughness, desire to win, and really a very positive guy. These guys will always be remembered as part of that team that made it to the Final Four for the very first time. They are trailblazers. I feel a little sadness in my heart for these guys, but it's the good kind of sadness that comes from love.

I think the game will be good, and these Zags will leave their fans with a wonder memory to treasure.

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
02-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Good morning Reborn,
Senior Night. I share your feelings about it, special night.
Been a wonderful ride with these two, looking forward to what's still to come!
Go Zags

TravelinZag
02-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Special night, every year: celebration, gratitude and sadness (missing the seniors already, yet far too early to say goodbye).

demian
02-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Good morning Zag fans. What a sweet and wonderful day this is. This is a special one because it's senior night. The night we honor our seniors. Special. Especially for Melson for me because he's been here for four years. These kind of players really grow on you, and when their gone we really miss them. I will always remember him for his good outside shooting. I will also remember him for his toughness and "nail down" defender. JW3 has a great, short career at Gonzaga, and I'm certainly going to miss his toughness, desire to win, and really a very positive guy. These guys will always be remembered as part of that team that made it to the Final Four for the very first time. They are trailblazers. I feel a little sadness in my heart for these guys, but it's the good kind of sadness that comes from love.

I think the game will be good, and these Zags will leave their fans with a wonder memory to treasure.

Go Zags!!!

Great post reborn. Melson has been a stud at GU. Great defensive player. Great athlete for a 2 guard. I still remember the awesome dunk on the baseline late in the game at BYU in melsons freshman year. It looked like he jumped off a springboard on that dunk. His sophomore season he was a major reason our team was able to reach the sweet 16 in surprising fashion. He had a pretty bad regular season. Playing time started to dwindle for him. Most on this board had completely given up on him as a contributor for gu ever again. Then something changed, he started playing as hard as anybody on the court when he would come in off the bench late in the season. He would dive on the floor for loose balls. Would suffocate his man he was guarding and contributed with tough rebounds. Itís pretty cool to see a guy change so suddenly in a positive way. Last year he was the best 6th man in the country. Great player last year, I loved his dunk at Tennessee last season. Right at halftime buzzer he got a break away steal and hammered it home with authority and athleticism as horn went off, just to shut that Tennessee crowd up a bit. This year, I am proud of him. Great leadership, plays hard, defends like no other, has been solid on offense, and I think he is going to provide his best for GU down the stretch. He is one of my favorite zag players during this 19 year run. He has been a true zag, committed early to GU, from what would be considered an inner city Portland HS at Jefferson HS, where we have not had much success recruiting Seattle or Portland inner city before but he committed to us early and didnít waver. And didnít transfer when most here assumed he would transfer due to decreased role midway through his sophomore season. Kid battled through and made it to the finish line. Good job Silas

Reborn
02-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Great post reborn. Melson has been a stud at GU. Great defensive player. Great athlete for a 2 guard. I still remember the awesome dunk on the baseline late in the game at BYU in melsons freshman year. It looked like he jumped off a springboard on that dunk. His sophomore season he was a major reason our team was able to reach the sweet 16 in surprising fashion. He had a pretty bad regular season. Playing time started to dwindle for him. Most on this board had completely given up on him as a contributor for gu ever again. Then something changed, he started playing as hard as anybody on the court when he would come in off the bench late in the season. He would dive on the floor for loose balls. Would suffocate his man he was guarding and contributed with tough rebounds. It’s pretty cool to see a guy change so suddenly in a positive way. Last year he was the best 6th man in the country. Great player last year, I loved his dunk at Tennessee last season. Right at halftime buzzer he got a break away steal and hammered it home with authority and athleticism as horn went off, just to shut that Tennessee crowd up a bit. This year, I am proud of him. Great leadership, plays hard, defends like no other, has been solid on offense, and I think he is going to provide his best for GU down the stretch. He is one of my favorite zag players during this 19 year run. He has been a true zag, committed early to GU, from what would be considered an inner city Portland HS at Jefferson HS, where we have not had much success recruiting Seattle or Portland inner city before but he committed to us early and didn’t waver. And didn’t transfer when most here assumed he would transfer due to decreased role midway through his sophomore season. Kid battled through and made it to the finish line. Good job Silas

Great post Demian. Thanks for all those cool memories. I've always appreciate how great of a memory you have. He had a real cool dunk recently too, but with my bad memory I can't even remember what game it was. He is a great, and tough athlete. I do believe he'll play in Europe if he wants to. :Most teams can find a place for a guy like him.

Go Zags!!!

White lightning
02-17-2018, 10:12 AM
People often critizise Silas for his lack of offense and low shooting percentage. I believe he would have been a more complete scorer if he wasn't such a great defender. Like in Garry Bell Jr's case, Melsons has the responsibility to shut down the best scorer in almost every game. Logging many miles of running after the other player while staying out of foul trouble. Both played with guards that definitely scored more with not having to work as hard physically and mentally on the defensive side of the ball. I always thought Garry Bell would have been as good or even a better scorer than Pangos if given the same opportunity's. The same with Melson and Perkins.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zagger
02-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Dang, just missed it being moring - out with the snow thrower! Headed to southern climes after this game :)

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/RideTheWavesSmall.png

Yep, both Silas and Jonathan helped get us to the FF & Championship game! It'll be an emotional night for them. Wish them many buckets against the Waves!
Doesn't seem all that long ago that Silas tossed off the Red Shirt and went into the MSG game for Perkins. How time seems to fly when it comes to having great Zags around. Good thing they come back to visit, etc. Went to the Zag alum game at the Convention Center this summer. It was sweet seeing Zags recent and not-too-recent. I hope Silas does the same.
J3 sure seems to have made a home here at GU. So glad he's here this season! Wish them both the best of luck from here on out!

Don't know how I'm going to cope with not watching the Zags much the next few games. We'll be in Argentina until 3/14. I'll figure out someway to get and view online even if it's the ESPN box score stuff. We'll be in the 'boonies' during part of the trip. Will try and set the DirecTV box to tape every Zag game ....