PDA

View Full Version : Zags break in to Top 5

GoZags
02-16-2018, 11:00 AM
https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/16/17019206/college-basketball-power-rankings-michigan-state-texas-tech

Gotta love Titus ....

5. Gonzaga (24–4)
I thought Mark Few was smarter than this. The man has worked at Gonzaga in some capacity since 1989. He should know how the game is played by now. He should know that when nobody has any idea how good a Gonzaga team is, there’s a certain finessing of the situation that’s required....

thespywhozaggedme
02-16-2018, 11:11 AM
This line is awesome......and so true. lol

Meanwhile, seemingly every player on Gonzaga’s roster has been wildly inconsistent. They all seem just as likely to drop 20 as to look like they’re shaving points on a given night.

Mantua
02-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Good article! He really got me with the bit about the FBI investigations.

jazzdelmar
02-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Indiscreet, probably ignorant, comment about Chris Mullin being sidetracked by champagne.

sittingon50
02-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Thanks GZ.

Some pretty funny stuff in there.

thebigsmoove
02-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Indiscreet, probably ignorant, comment about Chris Mullin being sidetracked by champagne.

Not a fan of the Chris Mullin bashing. Not a fan of the cheering for my favorite sport to be nuked by the FBI. Not a fan of his schtick or gimmick. Seems like TMZ level journalism at best. Meh.

jazzdelmar
02-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Not a fan of the Chris Mullin bashing. Not a fan of the cheering for my favorite sport to be nuked by the FBI. Not a fan of his schtick or gimmick. Seems like TMZ level journalism at best. Meh.

I can’t imagine he knows Chris’ history with battling alcohol. Now if he does, and said what he said, then he’s despicable.

adoptedzag
02-16-2018, 12:45 PM

It's a self-deprecating sense of humor. "If you can't laugh, you cry" sort of stuff.

hockeyzag
02-16-2018, 01:21 PM
I love Titus, always have. The guy is hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

Zags_Fanatic
02-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Titus is the best in my opinion. Now that Luke Winn is with the Raptors Titus' power rankings are the only non-AP list that I care about.

Zagger
02-17-2018, 02:08 AM
Fun story .... excepting the FBI stuff. If a slew of NCAA sanctions sprout wings before the NCAAs it could be quite distractive. I'm glad investigations are going on and programs that have cheated should have to pay for any ill-gotten gains. Timing of poo hitting the fan could really upset many March game outcomes though.

soccerdud
02-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Fun story .... excepting the FBI stuff. If a slew of NCAA sanctions sprout wings before the NCAAs it could be quite distractive. I'm glad investigations are going on and programs that have cheated should have to pay for any ill-gotten gains. Timing of poo hitting the fan could really upset many March game outcomes though.

it'll be interesting. traditionally non-power / non-brand name schools rarely get breaks from the NCAA or the committee... and even tho our brand and rep has improved, i feel that we mostly get the benefit at cost to other mid-majors. however, if the NCAA/committee is at all worried about the optics of having a national championship vacated, we could see them giving some of those breaks to schools perceived as clean instead. if you are looking for the nexus between having a brand name, having a team that could conceivably win it all, and having the perception/likelihood of a clean program, we gotta be in the top 3. we could actually benefit from this, tho i doubt it.

now, obviously the early top 16 release strongly suggested that this isn't the case-- but it is non-binding and was released before the latest reports of "HALF" of that list possibly vacating their tournament appearances this year. again, it will be interesting.

oh, and it's mindblowing what few and co accomplish here, especially because i believe they do it the right way.