PDA

View Full Version : About that Jordan Morgan kid

BobZag
10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=695802

Im hearing from Stanford, he said. They just came in to watch me play (Sunday). Ive been to Notre Dame and Purdue. Im hearing from Kentucky and Iowa and Michigan State a little bit. Indiana also.

BZ: Michigan and Purdue are high on his list so far. Beilein seems to really like him, and there's a long family history with the Wolverines, going back to his grandfather. Stanford could shoot up high on his list once he visits Palo Alto. I'm sure someone will give us the skinny. ;)

Go Curlin. lol.

thickman1
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
It seems quite apparent that GU is an afterthought. Oh well.

MDABE80
10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
In all due respect to Lynette then,......if this was just a flirty thing AND since he's not coming here.......AND........because he's not being recruited (likely because he has other schools ie Big 10, Stanford, etc), be it resolved that if Jordan comes up, it's only casual interest. I've long thought his candidacy was lightweight. He's a great kid, but not for us as a player/student.

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
He's a great kid, but not for us as a player/student.

Huh??? He is from all accounts a more than solid student and a superior player... not sure how he doesn't fit here at GU.

Real question is whether we fit for him.

thickman1
10-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Real question is whether we fit for him.

This seems to be the true question and the answer appears to be "no" at this point. Too bad too as he'd look good in a GU uni. I'm sure Lynette will come on and say that this isn't the case but the reality is that I cannot recall any media snippets where he mentions Gonzaga. Maybe that is why the staff isn't recruiting?

MDABE80
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I know I know LIZ!! I'm feisty today, Of course we'd like to have Jordan. Not gonna happen for many reasons. I'm getting the impression that " we are not worthy"........! :( If that's true, why spend time pining away? Nothing personal but.......It's been years ( it seems).....and I'm frustrated. It's good to keep track since we've seemingly known Jordan since he was 8th grad. There was a time ( since he came to camp) I thought GU had a chance. Just seems like we don't now. Kinda saddens me to be honest.

pbriz
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
since we already have Brock for 2009 maybe we aren't pursuing him very hard. The staff seems like they are looking for a true center for the 2009 class to go along with Brock and another guard.

tyra
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Why Jordan didn't end up on GU's priority list remains a mystery to me. It is hard to imagine that he deemed us not "worthy". But at the end of the day, this young man is a member our extended family and so I repeat my wish for him: Go to Stanford Jordan! Unless the NBA is in his future, a Stanford credential is of lifelong value and given his academic strangths, well, it just seems way best for him. And we all wish him the very best!

BobZag
10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Why Jordan didn't end up on GU's priority list remains a mystery to me. It is hard to imagine that he deemed us not "worthy". But at the end of the day, this young man is a member our extended family and so I repeat my wish for him: Go to Stanford Jordan! Unless the NBA is in his future, a Stanford credential is of lifelong value and given his academic strangths, well, it just seems way best for him. And we all wish him the very best!

I second what tyra says. A 3.8 gpa, 6'8" 245# and still growing 16 y/o. Go West to Stanford, young man. Elite academics and real good hoops.

former1dog
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Just weighing in here. I absolute would love for Jordan Morgan to come to Gonzaga. I think he would be a great player, great student and an excellent ambassador for Gonzaga AND a Catholic education (he attends a Catholic prep school as I understand it.)

All of that said, if Gonzaga's not in the mix then Stanford seems like a perfect fit.

LynetteG
10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Well Bob..... I picked Hard Spun in the Classic, he ran well.

As far as I am aware, GU is still sending letters and calling, but I haven't heard talk of them going to Michigan for any open gyms like Stanford just did yesterday. Sis would love for J to stay close to home, as most of the articles where she is quoted have said. That being said, though, Jordan is his own man, and very much has an idea in his mind about the kind of school he wants to go to and where. My thought is that since GU hasn't pursued him other than 'casually' as of late he/sis have decided to look elsewhere. It in no way means that Gonzaga is not 'worthy', hardly. I think, too, that with Brock maybe GU has decided they need to focus on other positions...?? I really don't know. Geography is a thought, for sure, but it shouldn't be a reason to stop recruiting a kid. Case in point = Stanford. But like I said, GU is still sending letters and calling as is permitted (last I heard from sis, and it wasn't that long ago). I know watching the teams that are recruiting him play this coming season will probably have a big impact on his thought process. The academics of the institutions can already be investigated. It'll be watching and seeing how some teams do now (esp since he'll be playing with the sophs when they are seniors) that will probably put the last pieces of the puzzle together.

Btw, not only does he attend a Jesuit school (and loves it very much), he is a Catholic young man to boot. He honored my mother's family by taking her maiden name as his Confirmation name two years ago. It was really special for all of us, and something he did on his own, without prompting.

LynetteG
10-30-2007, 07:35 AM
another article hit the web today, from a Michigan writer (so UM slant), but well done. quotes are from sis.

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=732868

you'll notice going away to school is definitely not ruled out:

"We really stress academics, which is one of the reasons Jordan is at U of D. He could have gone to a million other schools where they focus on basketball, but he's at U of D because he's a smart kid. The academics are what's important. That's always the message we've given him. We're carrying that over with, 'if you're going to get a scholarship somewhere and you're going to get your education taken care of, make it a good one.'"

Which is why his current list of suitors includes some excellent academic options, as it should for a kid who earns good grades and scored 20 on his ACT in seventh grade. Even Stanford, though perhaps farther from home than Morgan would travel (writers words), has shown significant interest.

"It's kind of a waiting game for us, too. We are getting an idea of what's right, and how Jordan is going to fit in. There are just so many pieces to that puzzle. Academics is huge, location maybe not so huge, but we're very involved and we like to watch him play. But that doesn't mean he's not going to go somewhere where we can only travel once in a while. If that's the best fit … it has to be what's best for him."