PDA

View Full Version : Ranking on Monday 2/12 ?

23dpg
02-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Zags could be as high as 8.
9 might be a more reasonable guess.

willandi
02-10-2018, 10:06 PM
My guess (ha ha) is that we will move pass SMC!

amaronizag
02-10-2018, 10:11 PM
SMC, KS and Duke were the 9-11 ranked teams. All 3 lost so GU should be ranked 9th on Monday. GU should be ranked 9th and the first 3 seed in the top 16 poll that will be published Sunday. We shall see.

jpn17
02-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Auburn at 8 lost too, GU should jump them. With Purdue losing both games I think they'll drop a few spots as well, even if both losses were to ranked teams. I think GU will be 7th.

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2018, 10:15 PM
9th

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2018, 10:16 PM
SMC, KS and Duke were the 9-11 ranked teams. All 3 lost so GU should be ranked 9th on Monday. GU should be ranked 9th and the first 3 seed in the top 16 poll that will be published Sunday. We shall see.

What time are they coming out with it? I ask because the NCAA and talking heads love Puke, but what of they lose to GT tomorrow night?

Kemo 1966
02-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Makes sense to me......but be careful....Committee always rewards the East Coast teams.... they'll find a 'stat'...that matches who they want in those first 16!
But if they have to make GU #9.... then they'll be the 3 seed out West, with ACC the one and Big 12 the two. [Come tourney time the 6 seed in the bracket ...would be someone like W.V.] IMO

OT---by the way, nice COMPLETE GAME for a change....can they now make this their NEW NORMAL????

Reborn
02-10-2018, 10:22 PM
What will Joe Lunardi think now? I'm sure he's really confused. And how does THIS victory make the RPI look? REALLY REALLY BAD I THINK. Which I have always thought it was. Kenpom has had the Zags ranked 7th through 9th all year. St Mary's between 13 and 16. BPI about the same as Ken Pom. Get rid of RPI PLEASE,

Go Zags!!!

Zag_Dad
02-10-2018, 10:33 PM
What will Joe Lunardi think now? I'm sure he's really confused. And how does THIS victory make the RPI look? REALLY REALLY BAD I THINK. Which I have always thought it was. Kenpom has had the Zags ranked 7th through 9th all year. St Mary's between 13 and 16. BPI about the same as Ken Pom. Get rid of RPI PLEASE,

Go Zags!!!

Apparently we are not one of the top 16 teams in the country (according to ESPN).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22396698/top-16-seeds-ncaa-tournament-be

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Apparently we are not one of the top 16 teams in the country (according to ESPN).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22396698/top-16-seeds-ncaa-tournament-be

Those seedings are a flat out joke. Puke is tied for 4th in their own conference but a 2 seed? Tennessee just lost to Alabama by almost 30 tonight.

sittingon50
02-10-2018, 10:58 PM
I hope the Zags DO get left out.

4 more regular season games to go out & make some statements, just like college football teams go out & run up the score.

dhozagfan08
02-11-2018, 08:15 AM
I hope the Zags DO get left out.

4 more regular season games to go out & make some statements, just like college football teams go out & run up the score.

I disagree. If we get left out, that means they are still primarily relying on RPI. Which would mean that we would have no way of significantly improving our position. Running up the score would help in most of the rankings, EXCEPT RPI.

sittingon50
02-11-2018, 08:26 AM
I disagree. If we get left out, that means they are still primarily relying on RPI. Which would mean that we would have no way of significantly improving our position. Running up the score would help in most of the rankings, EXCEPT RPI.

Sorry dhoz, not what I meant; could have stated that a bit better.

If left off this Top 16, I'm hoping the Zags are pissed enough in their final 4 league games that they come out with the same intensity they had vs SMC & blow teams off the floor; make a statement.

dhozagfan08
02-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Sorry dhoz, not what I meant; could have stated that a bit better.

If left off this Top 16, I'm hoping the Zags are pissed enough in their final 4 league games that they come out with the same intensity they had vs SMC & blow teams off the floor; make a statement.

I know what you mean, but even after making a statement we still wouldn't be able to play our way into a protected seed.

Zagger
02-11-2018, 08:57 AM
I'll say 10. Hoping for higher.

RenoZag
02-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Based on the Selection Committee's "Top 16" it doesn't appear to make a damn difference where the Zags are in the polls. . .

KStyles
02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Based on the Selection Committee's "Top 16" it doesn't appear to make a damn difference where the Zags are in the polls. . .

Yeah, polls from media members or coaches never really make a difference in cbb. What difference were you expecting it to make?

RenoZag
02-11-2018, 09:52 AM
What difference were you expecting it to make?

I honestly thought the Zags would be in the Top 16. . .if they move up a couple of notches in the polls on Monday, I don't think it will matter. Committee won't put the Zags in the Top 16 unless they win out. IMO

rennis
02-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Even if the Zags win out they may not get a Top 4 seed. RPI will punish them the rest of the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23dpg
02-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Parrish has the Zags #10 on his top 25+1.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-virginia-holds-on-to-the-top-spot-in-the-top-25-and-1/

Bogozags
02-11-2018, 11:58 AM
GU's Rankings February 12yh

AP
MSU
Villanova
UVA
X
Cincy

TT
OSU
GU
P
Clemson

Coaches

MSU
Villanova
UVA
X
Cincy

TT
GU
Clemson
OSU
Duke

DixieZag
02-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Exactly.

Which makes me hope we get a real gift, get to 8-9, set us up for possible 6 by the end of the year, make the committee really have to openly just go shameless East Coast P5 bias to leave us at 4 or lower.

10 probably, 9 at best.

OntZags
02-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Exactly.

Which makes me hope we get a real gift, get to 8-9, set us up for possible 6 by the end of the year, make the committee really have to openly just go shameless East Coast P5 bias to leave us at 4 or lower.

10 probably, 9 at best.

I understand people's frustrations (I too think Gonzaga should be higher) but you have to remember the AP/Coaches polls mean nothing. Literally nothing. It's a what have you done for me lately "metric" that really just exists for hype and marketing purposes. It has no value and the committee (justly) gives it no consideration.

http://barttorvik.com/teamsheets.php?sort=4&conlimit=All

That link there is what the committee looks at when deciding seeds. And although I don't like the undue influence of RPI, I do understand how they would have Gonzaga at a 5-7 seed right now based on what the committee is looking at. Obviously the computer metrics like Gonzaga a lot more but the system is what it is. Thankfully it is trending more and more towards the advanced analytics.

23dpg
02-11-2018, 03:27 PM
I understand people's frustrations (I too think Gonzaga should be higher) but you have to remember the AP/Coaches polls mean nothing. Literally nothing. It's a what have you done for me lately "metric" that really just exists for hype and marketing purposes. It has no value and the committee (justly) gives it no consideration.

I think most of us know that.

http://barttorvik.com/teamsheets.php?sort=4&conlimit=All

That link there is what the committee looks at when deciding seeds. And although I don't like the undue influence of RPI, I do understand how they would have Gonzaga at a 5-7 seed right now based on what the committee is looking at. Obviously the computer metrics like Gonzaga a lot more but the system is what it is. Thankfully it is trending more and more towards the advanced analytics.

As far as being a 5 due to WHAT the committee is looking at is the whole point. Almost all knowledgeable b-ball fans/writers/commentators know they are looking at the wrong thing.

Thankfully it is trending more and more towards the advanced analytics.

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s very true. Or it it is trending, it’s moving at a glacial pace.

ZagsGoZags
02-11-2018, 04:06 PM
#10 Kansas lost two
#8 Auburn lost
#9 Duke lost two
#13 Az below us lost two and won't jump anybody
#11 SMC lost

I expect #8

The waters of the Red Sea are parted for us, except maybe Auburn who might be above us and make us #9.

Zags11
02-11-2018, 05:18 PM
#9.

But what's it matter? We will be a high seed in march now. Anywhere from 7-10.

zag67
02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
I think we will be an 8. Good luck and have a great set of games this week.

TimberZag
02-11-2018, 08:13 PM

GrizZAG
02-11-2018, 09:51 PM

But it does have some impact on recruiting I would think.

75Zag
02-11-2018, 11:57 PM
I have some really good tickets for Boise but it seems like a long shot.
Thoughts? Do I dump them or do I hang tight for a bit?

Is anybody else getting maxed out by handling charges from the ticket services for sporting events and concerts? I paid a little over $100 per ticket just in handling charges for the James Taylor / Bonnie Raitt concert in Portland. Not sure that sports fans or music fans can continue this nonsense.

Go Bulldogs!

Zags11
02-12-2018, 06:57 AM

Is anybody else getting maxed out by handling charges from the ticket services for sporting events and concerts? I paid a little over $100 per ticket just in handling charges for the James Taylor / Bonnie Raitt concert in Portland. Not sure that sports fans or music fans can continue this nonsense.

Go Bulldogs!

I'd honestly hang on to them. If zags win out they would be 30-4. I think they'd be out west IMO. If they lose one game to BYU or SMC in Vegas, they sit at 29-5. I think with 1 loss or less they are out west.

caldwellzag
02-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Go Bulldogs!

I would hang on to them, bet the Zags end up out here. If you do decide to sell them let me know, as I live in the Treasure Valley and would go regardless of who is out here.

TravelinZag
02-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Exactly.

10 probably, 9 at best.

Direct hit, Dixie and Reno, on all counts. Tenth, maybe. And remember, poll rankings are irrelevant to seeding; see selection committee’s announcement of top sixteen teams and compare. It is outrageous!

23dpg
02-12-2018, 09:04 AM
We are 9th. Not bad.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Jumped by Ohio State. I have no issue with that.

(Could a mod update the title?)

Birddog
02-12-2018, 09:24 AM
9th according to the pollsters, but 17th or 18th according to the P5 and Aluminum Siding Salesman Committee.

jazzdelmar
02-12-2018, 09:28 AM
9th according to the pollsters, but 17th or 18th according to the P5 and Tin Salesman Committee.

Aluminum siding, Birdie.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 09:30 AM
So 9th with 6 games left including conference tourney. If we win out and the teams around us keep dropping games we could end the season ranked as high as 3 or 4. Would love to see the seeding if we get that high and their justification.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
We are 9th. Not bad.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Jumped by Ohio State. I have no issue with that.

(Could a mod update the title?)

You don't? I do, they have one more loss than us and they actually lost to us head to head.

23dpg
02-12-2018, 09:35 AM
You don't? I do, they have one more loss than us and they actually lost to us head to head.

It’s a factor but not the entire equation. They are a much better team now than they were then. It’s subjective to be sure but Ohio State is playing like a top ten team lately.

Birddog
02-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Aluminum siding, Birdie.

OK Jazz I'll correct it seeing as how I was plagiarizing. I thought they used to be called "tin men" until the vinyl siding boys took over.

jazzdelmar
02-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Pensees....

Creighton is 28th and they were royally screwed by the refs against Ratface Mack's team.....

The Marians are 15th, that's about right for WCC matchup #3.....

After the top 4 and maybe Purdue there's a gulf....Zags are as good as any in that 2nd tier....

What's a Texas Tech? The General still there?

Two thug Queen City teams in the top 5...two jackazz coaches....says something.....what, I don't know

Seeing the Bucks ahead of GU is odd. But I buy it. Holtman is COY...

Vermont? Why don't we play them in the OOC?

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 09:38 AM
It’s a factor but not the entire equation. They are a much better team now than they were then. It’s subjective to be sure but Ohio State is playing like a top ten team lately.

What's more of a factor than head to head, plus they have 1 more loss than us?

jazzdelmar
02-12-2018, 09:38 AM
So 9th with 6 games left including conference tourney. If we win out and the teams around us keep dropping games we could end the season ranked as high as 3 or 4. Would love to see the seeding if we get that high and their justification.

Seen that movie....2002. NO interest in seeing a sequel.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Seen that movie....2002.

yup, I'm just wondering if it will play out the same since we have more name brand cachet than we did then.

23dpg
02-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Cincinnati has been killing it lately. Only one sub double digit win in forever. They destroyed a decent smu team yesterday. Not fun to watch. UVA vs Cinn would be one ugly game.

23dpg
02-12-2018, 09:42 AM
What's more of a factor than head to head, plus they have 1 more loss than us?

For the pollsters? How you’re playing lately. Who did you beat, who did you lose to. It’s not an exact science. The loss total means less than the head to head. I just don’t think it’s a travesty. I’ve watched the Buckeyes a fair bit and they’re simply not the same team they were back in November.

Zagdawg
02-12-2018, 09:48 AM
"So yeah, Gonzaga's really freaking good again and demands your attention now"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/so-yeah-gonzagas-really-freaking-good-again-and-demands-your-attention-immediately/

23dpg
02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
#8 in the Coaches Poll

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

soccerdud
02-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Cincinnati has been killing it lately. Only one sub double digit win in forever. They destroyed a decent smu team yesterday. Not fun to watch. UVA vs Cinn would be one ugly game.

don't overrate this win. smu is typically a decent team, but they are have been destroyed by injuries. they were missing 3 guys for that game (all double digit scorers, including the team's top-2 by ppg and their best player/point guard), and then had a 4th get hurt partway through the 1st half. they played most of that game with only 2 of their top 6 players available. those two played 38 and 40 minutes and scored 19 points each. their next highest scorer (w/ 6 pts) is a 6'8" sr C who averages 13 mpg (7th in the rotation) who was forced to go 30 in this one.

none of that is intended to say anything negative about Cincy-- they are a good team who plays great athletic defense, and i'm unsure if i'd want them as a 2 on our side of the bracket-- but in reality this was not the statement win it looked to be on paper.

kitzbuel
02-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Looks like voters are using Ohio State as a 'soft peg' for Gonzaga's ranking. As long as each team continues to win what they should, they will hang around each other.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 10:01 AM
For the pollsters? How you’re playing lately. Who did you beat, who did you lose to. It’s not an exact science. The loss total means less than the head to head. I just don’t think it’s a travesty. I’ve watched the Buckeyes a fair bit and they’re simply not the same team they were back in November.

They play at Penn State and at Michigan this week, I wouldn't be shocked if they lost both, which would make it a moot point.

23dpg
02-12-2018, 10:04 AM
They play at Penn State and at Michigan this week, I wouldn't be shocked if they lost both, which would make it a moot point.

I could see 1-1. But if Ohio State keeps winning, it helps our RPI:vomit-smiley-007:, which unfortunately still matters a lot.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Teams ahead of us games this week:

#8 OSU: This Week: @ Penn State Feb 15, @ Michigan Feb 18
#7 Texas Tech: This Week: vs. Oklahoma Feb 13, @ Baylor Feb 17
#6 Purdue: This Week: @ Wisconsin Feb 15, vs. Penn State Feb 18
#5 Cinci: This Week: @ Houston Feb 15, vs. Wichita State Feb 18
#4 Xavier: This Week: vs. Seton Hall Feb 14, vs. Villanova Feb 17
#3: Nova: This Week: @ Providence Feb 14, @ Xavier Feb 17
#2 Michigan State:This Week: @ Minnesota Feb 13, @ Northwestern Feb 17
#1 Virginia: This Week: @ Miami Feb 13

Looking at that, a ton of teams ahead of us have a very good chance of losing this week. Man, if we hadn't choked vs SDSU and SMC, we could end the season #1 and still might end up top 4 if everything falls our way.

Birddog
02-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Nevermind

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
I could see 1-1. But if Ohio State keeps winning, it helps our RPI:vomit-smiley-007:, which unfortunately still matters a lot.

OSU dropping two or three spots won't hurt our rpi, plus I want to see us get as high as possible and see the NCAA committee squirm with our seeding.

23dpg
02-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Love this site.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gonzaga-bulldogs/2017

Someone has us rated 18th? Hard to justify that.

sittingon50
02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Love this site.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gonzaga-bulldogs/2017

Someone has us rated 18th? Hard to justify that.

Well, must have a reason. Apparently not a homer as he writes for the paper in East Lansing & is one of 2 to rate Sparty the lowest.

Kemo 1966
02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
I HAD A GREAT LAUGH ...after hearing Gonzaga is ranked 9th! THE 'MAGNOLIA GARDEN COMMITTEE OF NCAA"...must be 'sh't'n lil' GREEN APPLES ...... heh heh GO ZAGS.... keep on climbing!

ZagsGoZags
02-12-2018, 05:31 PM
The WCC still has two teams higher ranked than the top two ranked PAC 12 teams.
how I would love it if pacific, byu or san diego could ramp their programs up.
It would help us in so many ways, ...

I am surprised SMC didn't fall farther down.
They only have one good win. Now that problem has been rectified for the moment.
This exposes them as a team who needs the right match up to deserve ranked status,
and that the wrong match up can pull the rug out from under them.

As before, I lay this problem on Bennett's doorstep, it is not fair to his boys to buoy their records and egos up with a cupcake schedule, then throw them into the fire of highly ranked teams. I know they have disproved this point I am making one or two times in the NCAA Dance, but there is only way to get prepared for top competition, and that is to play against some, more than just GU. Just my opinion.

Sarenyon
02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Not sure who combined this thread, but it got really confusing to read.

Bogozags
02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
The WCC still has two teams higher ranked than the top two ranked PAC 12 teams.
how I would love it if pacific, byu or san diego could ramp their programs up.
It would help us in so many ways, ...

I am surprised SMC didn't fall farther down.
They only have one good win. Now that problem has been rectified for the moment.
This exposes them as a team who needs the right match up to deserve ranked status,
and that the wrong match up can pull the rug out from under them.

As before, I lay this problem on Bennett's doorstep, it is not fair to his boys to buoy their records and egos up with a cupcake schedule, then throw them into the fire of highly ranked teams. I know they have disproved this point I am making one or two times in the NCAA Dance, but there is only way to get prepared for top competition, and that is to play against some, more than just GU. Just my opinion.

Evidently, he is doing a bang-up job overall as he just signed a 10 year contract extension, so playing a weak OOC is exactly what the SMC’s AD wants...

After re-watching the SMC game, just proved to me that they will have big problems when they play athletic teams, which is why USD has given them problems...I believe they will more than likely be an early exit in the Dance.

sittingon50
02-13-2018, 11:33 AM
There may be some "athletic teams" that won't be able to get adequately prepared for SMC on short prep, however.

JMHO.