PDA

View Full Version : Earned 2 Seed Lines, For Now

DixieZag
02-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Just fun for discussion purposes.

If picked tomorrow, obviously not counting possible losses still out there, I think we jumped 2 seed lines with that performance on the road. Not just a win, how we won.

I would think a fair seed is 3-4, even though we are going to be ranked 9-10th.

Seems like polls have us slightly overranked, Lunardi slightly underseeded

Zags11
02-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Just fun for discussion purposes.

If picked tomorrow, obviously not counting possible losses still out there, I think we jumped 2 seed lines with that performance on the road. Not just a win, how we won.

I would think a fair seed is 3-4, even though we are going to be ranked 9-10th.

Seems like polls have us slightly overranked, Lunardi slightly underseeded

I think lunardi is off. College hoops is nuts this yr. Lunardi has us at a 5 seed? And we will be top 10 come Monday. Stop. We aren't #17 in college. We are easily a 3-4 seed.

jpn17
02-10-2018, 09:04 PM
I think lunardi is off. College hoops is nuts this yr. Lunardi has us at a 5 seed? And we will be top 10 come Monday. Stop. We aren't #17 in college. We are easily a 3-4 seed.

Top 10 in the polls and in Sagarin, Kenpom and BPI. The only people that are wrong are the people who have Gonzaga as a 5-7 seed.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Have they picked the top 16 already, or do they take todays games into account?

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-10-2018, 09:14 PM
We started the game with an RPI in the high 40s. Our poor strength of schedule is killing us on the metric. That is probably the main reason that different bracket projections canít agree about where to seed Gonzaga.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/GONZAG/gonzaga-bulldogs

Lewey
02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
From ESPN article:

The NCAA selection committee's placement of Gonzaga and Clemson -- or lack thereof -- in its top 16 reveal on Sunday will be significant to more than just fans of the Bulldogs and Tigers.

The committee's opinion of those two will provide a clue about how new metrics such as Strength of Record, KenPom and BPI, which in January were added to the official team sheets provided to the committee, will be used.

More at the link
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22371587/ncaa-men-basketball-selection-committee-apply-metrics-correctly

DixieZag
02-10-2018, 09:31 PM
From ESPN article:

The NCAA selection committee's placement of Gonzaga and Clemson -- or lack thereof -- in its top 16 reveal on Sunday will be significant to more than just fans of the Bulldogs and Tigers.

The committee's opinion of those two will provide a clue about how new metrics such as Strength of Record, KenPom and BPI, which in January were added to the official team sheets provided to the committee, will be used.

More at the link
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22371587/ncaa-men-basketball-selection-committee-apply-metrics-correctly

Thank you. Great stuff.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-10-2018, 09:39 PM
...and this is such a year where there are no clear cut 2 or 3 best teams....not much difference between #1 and #16 in the rankings....I believe I heard that more top 10 teams have lost to unranked teams this year than any other year...could be a wild ride in March

...there is no team that scares me..and at the same time they all scare me...LOL

TexasZagFan
02-10-2018, 09:48 PM
...and this is such a year where there are no clear cut 2 or 3 best teams....not much difference between #1 and #16 in the rankings....I believe I heard that more top 10 teams have lost to unranked teams this year than any other year...could be a wild ride in March

...there is no team that scares me..and at the same time they all scare me...LOL

BYU concerns me, that will be a tough game for us

RenoZag
02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Have they picked the top 16 already, or do they take todays games into account?

The announcement is at 9:30 am on CBS tomorrow

DixieZag
02-10-2018, 11:07 PM
The announcement is at 9:30 am on CBS tomorrow

Seems hard to fathom how they could watch/hear about that dominance on the road and not consider us one of the top 10-16 teams.

We have a weak schedule in that the soft are REAL soft, but we do have some good wins, and our worst loss is SDSU on the road, that ain't all that bad.

We looked darn good tonight, that's for sure.

RenoZag
02-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Did not make it to the top 4 seed lines. . .yet

TravelinZag
02-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Not certain what the purpose is for a “pre-“ announcement of the top sixteen teams, but it has to prejudge the issue. A lot of basketball yet to be played during a year that has multiple upsets each week. Remember that most of the major conferences hold their tourneys a week after the WCC.

Believe they did this last year. Anyone notice how much, or little change occurred between the early announcements and the final seedlings?

RenoZag
02-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Believe they did this last year. Anyone notice how much, or little change occurred between the early announcements and the final seedings?

Travelin:

Here's last year's "Top 16" : https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-02-11/march-madness-top-16-seeds-revealed-first-ever-season announced on 2/11/16

You can compare it to the 2017 Tourney Bracket here: https://www.allbrackets.com/bracket.php?year=2017

2/11/16 Preview 16................................... ACTUAL BRACKET

1 seeds: VILL; KAN; BAYLOR; GU............... VILL; KAN; UNC; GU
2 seeds: LVILLE; FLA ST; UNC; ORE............ DUKE; LVILLE; KY; AZ
3 seeds: KY; AZ; FLA; VA ......................... BAY; ORE; UCLA; FLA ST
4 seeds: UCLA; DUKE; BUTLER; WVA........... FLA; PURD; BUTLER; WVA

15 of 16 made it to protected seeds on Selection Sunday. VA ended up a 5 seed after going 22-10 and Purdue wound up as the 2nd ranked 4 seed

I don't know how much it was a case of the committee getting it right in February as much as most of the Top 16 teams finished strong and maintained their places in the committee's pecking order.

This year seems less predictable. Last year also shows it's possible to move up, as Purdue did.

Zagger
02-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm ranting on this and that today so I might as well rant about seeds. I honestly don't care what seed the Zags are. I feel coach and team can whoop any team in the USA. We saw what they did to SMC last night. If they'd kept it up they'd have won by 30. Yeah, SMC isn't a Virginia but ..... I'd personally rather see the Zags give a 1 seed a good battle and lose than see them blast through lower seed teams just to play a few more games. I love watching the Zags play - win or lose (wins are better). It's great seeing a Spokane team give the best a good go. Last season was pretty special but we lost some players I'd rather have stuck around. What I admire most about the Zags are players like J3 and Melson and Perkins, etc. - guys who're likely to stick around, get a degree and maybe even settle down in Spokane (although I have a special love for Mt K and his ilk that go back to their roots). I like college basketball - not NBA hatching grounds with guys leaving after a year or two. End of another rant! What shall I rant on next?

TravelinZag
02-12-2018, 08:24 AM
If excluded from a top 4 seed, we should pull for a seed which will oppose one of the top 4 in the first round. Upset that team and Zags get their easier path through the tournament. Of course, NCAA won’t do that to a team from a non-power conference. Their bias against teams like the Zags, Gaels, Wichita State and others is blatant.