• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NotoriousZ
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Yet another SMC weak scheduling thread

Sorry to beat this dead horse one more time, but I can’t help thinking that our game tonight should be on ESPN tonight and not on the Duece. Instead of showing the #11-12 ranked teams battling it out they chose to go with #13 Arizona vs. unranked USC. Sure, they will own the tv market in the southwest, but on a national level we should have the bigger draw.

And the reason for this is the lack of respect for SMC. I don’t know how many years it would take, but if they were to schedule tougher games (and I think they are doing well enough to win a few outside of their gym), eventually they could have the recognition they deserve. And the best part would be that better teams would actually want to do a home and home with SMC.

I realize the difference between playing on ESPN vs. ESPN 2 isn’t such a big deal. At least we’re not on the Ocho.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!
  • Coach Crazy
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Sorry to beat this dead horse one more time, but I can’t help thinking that our game tonight should be on ESPN tonight and not on the Duece. Instead of showing the #11-12 ranked teams battling it out they chose to go with #13 Arizona vs. unranked USC. Sure, they will own the tv market in the southwest, but on a national level we should have the bigger draw.

And the reason for this is the lack of respect for SMC. I don’t know how many years it would take, but if they were to schedule tougher games (and I think they are doing well enough to win a few outside of their gym), eventually they could have the recognition they deserve. And the best part would be that better teams would actually want to do a home and home with SMC.

I realize the difference between playing on ESPN vs. ESPN 2 isn’t such a big deal. At least we’re not on the Ocho.
    Honestly, there shouldn't be any excuses for it, either. If a little school in Spokane, that had the potential of becoming insolvent can rise from ashes, then there is no excuse not to succeed. Whatever is in their way shouldn't be enough to stop success. And yes, we are on the Deuce because no one cares about SMC. I so wish there was some way to make the Big East work.

Comment

• rennis
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

AZ and USC's alumni and fanbase has nothing to do with it. Surely.
      Originally posted by Coach Few
      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• TravelinZag
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2012

Zag’s fan base appeals to pre-season tournament organizers. Our fans travel very well, and spend even better. However, tv sponsors don’t recognize that and/or seek a different market niche. AU and SoCal are established names because they play football as well as basketball. GU can’t afford, and won’t do that. And yes, that is why Big East expansion is the only opportunity available.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

C’mon. AZ a bigger national name than GU and SM combined.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
            Zag’s fan base appeals to pre-season tournament organizers. Our fans travel very well, and spend even better. However, tv sponsors don’t recognize that and/or seek a different market niche. AU and SoCal are established names because they play football as well as basketball. GU can’t afford, and won’t do that. And yes, that is why Big East expansion is the only opportunity available.
            From a West Coast marketing point of view watching a Power-5 game versus a mid-major game is a no brainer...there are more fans of basketball that follow P-5 schools then schools from the WCC...it is just a business decision. I really don't care which ESPN Channel on which we are playing as long as we can ALL watch them...

One other thought...I disagree with your argument about the BE being the only way our for us...I don't think the BE will ever invite GU. Why would they want the added expense of adding a west coast team...the more advantageous move would be to invite either St. Joes or George Washington along with St. Louis or Dayton...that is if they are interested in expanding...just not seeing a BE invitation...

I still see the MWC as an opportunity since they only have 11 schools, since Hawaii only plays football. We could easily move ALL our sport's teams to the MWC and have minimal increases in travel expenses...but I don't think the MWC would want GU as I believe they still think BYU will rejoin the conference...

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Honestly, does it make a difference whether the game is on ESPN or ESPN2? I think both channels are provided w/ most cable packages, so a national audience can choose which game they would prefer to watch. This seems like making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

• Nevada Don
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
                Sorry to beat this dead horse one more time, but...
                And the reason for this is the lack of respect for SMC.
                Are you really with BYU ? When I read the whining I thought so but then there wasn't a mention of bad refs.
                I think Mark Few and the players respect the Gaels? So do the polls apparently. Lots of people here do also, maybe not you though.

Why oh Why would you want to make it Saint Mary's fault as to why this game isn't on ESPN1???

Comment

• realtydog
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  C’mon. AZ a bigger national name than GU and SM combined.
                  agreed and simply ...the bottom line

Comment

• Saxon_zag
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Randy MIGHT leave California for an ooc road/neutral game next year, but no guarantees

Yeah AZ and the pac-12 is just a bigger draw nationally regardless of current ranks.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                      From a West Coast marketing point of view watching a Power-5 game versus a mid-major game is a no brainer...there are more fans of basketball that follow P-5 schools then schools from the WCC...it is just a business decision. I really don't care which ESPN Channel on which we are playing as long as we can ALL watch them...

One other thought...I disagree with your argument about the BE being the only way our for us...I don't think the BE will ever invite GU. Why would they want the added expense of adding a west coast team...the more advantageous move would be to invite either St. Joes or George Washington along with St. Louis or Dayton...that is if they are interested in expanding...just not seeing a BE invitation...

I still see the MWC as an opportunity since they only have 11 schools, since Hawaii only plays football. We could easily move ALL our sport's teams to the MWC and have minimal increases in travel expenses...but I don't think the MWC would want GU as I believe they still think BYU will rejoin the conference...
                      I don't see the advantage to MWC over WCC, but how does the MWC pay NCAA payouts? That might actually be a deciding factor.
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Game was slated for ESPN2 when the schedule came out in September /October time frame. . .they chose a better TV demo for ESPN game and guessed the SMC-GU game would be meaningful enough to show on ESPN2. . .
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

ESPN and the deuce are next to each other on every service provider. Fans will watch the more compelling game unless they got some skin in the game. Also, most households will have the Olymics on anyway I would reckon.

Comment

• Ezag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Far more people in sports land would rather watch AZ vs USC over Zags playing in SMC's high school gym

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nevada Don View Post
                              Are you really with BYU ? When I read the whining I thought so but then there wasn't a mention of bad refs.
                              I think Mark Few and the players respect the Gaels? So do the polls apparently. Lots of people here do also, maybe not you though.

Why oh Why would you want to make it Saint Mary's fault as to why this game isn't on ESPN1???
                              Sorry for the whining, Don, I can’t help myself sometimes. But I know you also wish Randy would schedule tougher. I’d wish you guys luck tonight, but I’m hoping we can pull off the upset. Cheers!
                              It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

Working...
                              X