PDA

View Full Version : Do we have an answer for Landale?

Ezag
02-09-2018, 11:19 AM
Because I believe that will be the big key to winning on Saturday night.

Landale has been a monster all year and is averaging 22.7 points and 10.7 rebounds a game this season. He is tearing up the WCC. He had 26 and 12 against us last time and 31 / 13 and 32 / 14 at BYU this year. In 2018 alone, he has already had 4 games with over 30 points and 8 games with over 20 points. Almost all those games he also had double-digit rebounds. I know winning is more than just one player but this is a mountain of a player.

hooter73
02-09-2018, 11:25 AM
No.

Larsen isnt playing and we cant double and also cover their shooters. We are basically playing against GU from last year.

Midwestzag
02-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Speed St. Mary's up. Time to apply the press at least one half of the game. This will decrease Landales' touches in a set offense and play to Zag strengths--deep bench and superior, long athletes.

Sandpointzagsfan
02-09-2018, 11:38 AM
I think the best way to stop him is with a double. Only thing is the Gael’s are a great 3 point shooting team.
Naar is a great player and pretty good shooter but his release is VERY slow. So I would double Landale with who ever is guarding naar and never leave hermanson. I doubt this would work but thought about it during the last outing.

If you think that’s a bad idea don’t be afraid to let me know. I’m an old football player and going to school to scout football not basketball lol

Zagdawg
02-09-2018, 11:40 AM
I do not expect they will shoot 61% from three again -- but I agree with the double.

gonstu
02-09-2018, 11:49 AM
We are basically playing against GU from last year.

They aren't that scary. They have Landale, yes. But last year's zags had Karno AND Collins AND Williams.

willandi
02-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Rotate bigs to guard Landale 1 on 1. J3, Tillie, Rui and Larsen...maybe even CK and Jones, just to throw him off balance a bit. If the Zags can hold him to his season averages, and not let the other players get hot, Zags can win, even with a poor shooting night. They won't lose JUST to 25 points and 10 boards.

Press to cut down time for half court, switch off inside and cover the outside and passing lanes on defense and run plus drive to the rim on offense.

thespywhozaggedme
02-09-2018, 12:02 PM
No
For what ever reason it appears that Few has lost faith in Larsen

Malastein
02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
No
For what ever reason it appears that Few has lost faith in Larsen

Very one track mind. Larsen will get his burn in time, but he hasn’t been a world beater when I’ve seen him. Hopefully, enough of the young guys have good games since their consistency is key to winning big games.

SWZag
02-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Our answer to Landale is to shut down the other four players on the court, IMO.

gonstu
02-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Our answer to Landale is to shut down the other four players on the court, IMO.

BINGO!

bigblahla
02-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Speed St. Mary's up. Time to apply the press at least one half of the game. This will decrease Landales' touches in a set offense and play to Zag strengths--deep bench and superior, long athletes.

Definitely make them run....play at their tempo and the outcome will not favor the Zags....

Go!! Zags!!!

TheGonzagaFactor
02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Landale will put up numbers.

SMC was going to lose by 15+ going through Landale last time we played.

Hermanson saved their asses. I'd think a healthy Kispert would keep him from just walking to the rim and scoring easily like he did 3-4 times in a row (more?) vs Norvell. That way Norvell saves some energy to carry us on offense.

Markburn1
02-09-2018, 01:04 PM
You guys are focusing on the wrong end. Need to go at him hard on the offensive end. Put him in multiple pick and rolls. Post him up down low and don't take no for an answer. Two fouls early and Zags win.

Ikancagin
02-09-2018, 01:17 PM
You guys are focusing on the wrong end. Need to go at him hard on the offensive end. Put him in multiple pick and rolls. Post him up down low and don't take no for an answer. Two fouls early and Zags win.
Or don't let him get so deep in the post.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2018, 01:23 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/803fb25907c2d321eea550d507ed9d2a/tumblr_owexf9CjEw1toamj8o1_500.gif

Zags11
02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
He will get his. He will get points and rebounds. Limit others. Also make him work on the defensive side.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2018, 01:36 PM
We won’t beat the Gaels by game-planning around Landale. We need to beat Naar.

St. Mary’s is at their best when they use the entire shot clock to work that half-court offense. They want to make defenders fight through screens and chase pass after pass for twenty-five seconds on each possession. They will trade a good shot for a better one and make two more passes to get a better shot late in the shot clock.

We need to make the Gaels worry about the shot clock as their enemy. We need to press just to speed them up. We need to attack Naar for the length of the court so he can’t calmly and patiently pick apart our defense in the half court.

mattydog73
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
The answer is: Don't front him, double him on the dribble and recover and most importantly, go at him on the offensive end. Make him defend the rim and big guys need to get out in transition and make him defend at a sustained high level.

CDC84
02-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Tacos?

rennis
02-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Isolate him in his defense and try to get him in foul trouble early. Or hope he gets whistled for a couple of moving screens like he did against GU before this year.

Defending him. Dunno. If it's 1/1 with JW3 again he'll go off for sure.

gon2mt
02-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Somewhat facetious but maybe a better question would be do we have an answer for Naar.

CDC84
02-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Somewhat facetious but maybe a better question would be do we have an answer for Naar.

Cut the head off the snake. Put Mr. Melson on him.

DixieZag
02-09-2018, 03:20 PM
We won’t beat the Gaels by game-planning around Landale. We need to beat Naar.

St. Mary’s is at their best when they use the entire shot clock to work that half-court offense. They want to make defenders fight through screens and chase pass after pass for twenty-five seconds on each possession. They will trade a good shot for a better one and make two more passes to get a better shot late in the shot clock.

We need to make the Gaels worry about the shot clock as their enemy. We need to press just to speed them up. We need to attack Naar for the length of the court so he can’t calmly and patiently pick apart our defense in the half court.

This sounds very smart to me.

Also Matty's note about doing what we can to get him in foul trouble if possible.

I have to continually remind myself (since we seem like we're in a bit of a rut) that the last game with SMC, I think we played some of our best basketball of the year for 32 minutes.

And even despite the fact we lost, SMC earned it, they hit big shot after big shot, in what was without question the best college basketball game that I have seen this year. I need to remind myself to give our guys credit for that game, and SMC, it was wonderful, but for the loss.

spike_jr
02-09-2018, 03:44 PM
I agree on a lot of the above. We need to speed them up and press them a bit (although I wonder if Few knew/knows he has to ride Josh and Silas for 3+ min and does not want to wear them out). We cant let them be too comfortable in their offense. It is just too precise and efficient. I think we need to attack the basket more with Norvell, Rui, and CK (JP and SM too). This defensively, I think is kind of like their kryptonite. Make Naar and Landale work on defense which should translate to easier points and/or more fouls.

I really don't think their D is much more than mediocre, but they manage the clock and the game to their advantage by their slow, methodical pace. They are more than comfortable with passing the ball for 28 seconds in order to get a really high percentage shot - and they don't turn it over. They make you work on defense and wait for you to make a mistake. And in turn, the slow pace limits your possessions and forces you to be highly efficient on offense in order to compete.

Unless we come out on fire from 3, don't continually settle for 3 point shots - dribble drive with intent. If you work the ball around enough, those shots will always be there. Don't roll out the same vanilla game plan that we saw in spokane and hope for a different result unless we are the ones shooting 60+% from 3.

MontanaCoyote
02-09-2018, 06:19 PM
JWIII quoted in San Francisco Chronice (with a smile) to the effect that 'we have a plan, but I ain't sayin'

Hope it works, whatever it is.

Reborn
02-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Great thread, and great question. Zags don't need to do anything different in this game regarding Landale. Zags will defend the Zag way, which is to play defense as a unit, as a team. The Zags defense has improved leaps and bounds in the last month. Defense won't be played the way it was the last time around. It will be tougher, and it will be more intense. Defense has been winning games for us lately, and it will win for us tomorrow. IMO, our defense is much better and tougher than the Gaels.

I like this question betterm "What must the Zags do differently on offense to score more points than the Gaels?" That simplifies things. The answer is easy. Our guards must step up and start playing like Zags and begin to make some shots. This bad habbit have poor shooting just has to stop. It's time our guards begin to carry some of the offensive load. GU has a great history of very talented shooters and it's just about time for this group to realize that, and pick up the slack and start playing like Zags. I'll be cheering as loud as I can for our shooters. Come on guys. Step up and knock down those outside shots. Your team needs you.

Go Zags!!!

GeorgiaZagFan
02-09-2018, 06:39 PM
..we need to have Rui, Tillie and JWIII play agressively on the offensive end forcing him to work hard on defense ....Last game (vs. St. Marys) Tillie only took 5 shots the entire game (made 4 of them) ..I don't believe the Gaels have anybody to match up with Rui or Tillie and the Zags need to take advantage of that match-up.

JPtheBeasta
02-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Cut the head off the snake. Put Mr. Melson on him.

I liked the creativity in the second half of last game of putting Rui on Naar. It made the switch to Landale on the pick-and-roll less of a decisive advantage than if a guard was on him.

sittingon50
02-09-2018, 08:45 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/803fb25907c2d321eea550d507ed9d2a/tumblr_owexf9CjEw1toamj8o1_500.gif

I'm gonna' go with MCMM on this one.

Zagger
02-10-2018, 04:06 AM
Mix up D on Jock and press ..... including lots of showing and committing to doubling Jock. I totally agree with other poster in limiting SMC's offensive time. Zags just plain need to rattle SMC with D .... AND play smart offense with much better 3 point shooting than that of late. Tillie and J3 are going to have to me animals on offense. Silas, Norvelle, Josh and Corey are going to have to scramble for loose balls. Zags are plainly going to have to be DETERMINED to knock off SMC. I feel how tonight's game goes will set the outcome of the rest of this season for the Zags.

willandi
02-10-2018, 06:51 AM
A very good read at ESPN on Landale. Well worth the time.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22368165/when-jock-landale-came-mountain

Coach Crazy
02-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Post trap didn't work well against BYU and we don't close out on perimeter shots well enough to be doubling down a ton. You want to limit how he affects the game. Which means that you should be putting athletic big men on him and using that aspect of defense to your advantage. Where he really hurts you is when he doesn't have to score to have an impact i.e. on kick outs, etc.

I also agree with going at him on the offensive end and making him work. Even if the shots aren't falling at a 50% clip in the paint. You make him defend more athletic moves, and then make him fight for rebounds.

I also agree with going at him on dribble drive penetration. Make him fight to front the post on the weakside and then attack from the wing. That angled move seems to be our favorite. Going from that battle, to having to slide into place and go up to contest a shot is a lot of extra work you want him engaging in.

I don't care if he puts up 20-something. That is not what beats you.

JPtheBeasta
02-10-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't care as much about Landale's total points as I do his efficiency. The Zags allowed him to go 12/15 (80%) from the field last game. That is an embarrassing statistic.

EEzag
02-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Post trap didn't work well against BYU and we don't close out on perimeter shots well enough to be doubling down a ton. You want to limit how he affects the game. Which means that you should be putting athletic big men on him and using that aspect of defense to your advantage. Where he really hurts you is when he doesn't have to score to have an impact i.e. on kick outs, etc.

I also agree with going at him on the offensive end and making him work. Even if the shots aren't falling at a 50% clip in the paint. You make him defend more athletic moves, and then make him fight for rebounds.

I also agree with going at him on dribble drive penetration. Make him fight to front the post on the weakside and then attack from the wing. That angled move seems to be our favorite. Going from that battle, to having to slide into place and go up to contest a shot is a lot of extra work you want him engaging in.

I don't care if he puts up 20-something. That is not what beats you.

I just had this same conversation with a gentleman who knows a lot about hoops including DI. He said almost the same thing. It's funny how lots of people will say "get him out of his game" or some other philosophy but have no idea the details. Your insight is appreciated by this reader.

I'd add that you will see the double but come at different times. Sometimes before the catch even. You might even see the double before the pass. Sometimes the millisecond after he puts the ball on the floor You can't let landale dictate terms.

Coach Crazy
02-10-2018, 10:41 AM
I just had this same conversation with a gentleman who knows a lot about hoops including DI. He said almost the same thing. It's funny how lots of people will say "get him out of his game" or some other philosophy but have no idea the details. Your insight is appreciated by this reader.

I'd add that you will see the double but come at different times. Sometimes before the catch even. You might even see the double before the pass. Sometimes the millisecond after he puts the ball on the floor You can't let landale dictate terms.

If they can disguise it, then I hope it works. I just don't want to see us get smashed on back-cuts and Hermanson 3's. Perhaps no post traps, but some double's from a rover or something, and leave the other big on the backside of the lane, in case someone tries to crash, and to give more length for disrupting kick out's to the far wing. We'll see.

Mantua
02-10-2018, 01:42 PM

We need a land shark.

bballbeachbum
02-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Fun thread, fun posts, great ideas, enjoyed scrolling through
My $.02
From the video of the previous game, Zags showed how for a while but couldn’t maintain it, and SMC’s tempo took over with Landale touches where he wanted them as the game wore on.
An answer for Landale is the question?
As others said, make Landale work on D; specifically, can do it with screen/rolls, make him and SMC defend what they try to make you defend, and attack him in that situation looking to put fouls on him. Also make him a post defender, go after him down low and look to put fouls on him.
On other end, can Zags fight Landale for his spots and front/side him to deny, push catches 1-2-3-5 feet out or more from where he wants it when he does receive, and mostly, can we do it if needed late? If it’s help with weakside rotations, who do the Zags leave open? Pineau no longer there to oblige sending the weak corner defender (was JII last year who this year instead is primary defender on Landale) to help on the screen/roll like last year; any scramble/double D on Landale opens up Zags to get hammered by SMC’s passing potentially, but we’ll see.
To help deny Landale, Zag guards can pressure the ball to deny easy entry looks while also forcing the bounce off the 3 pt. line and so also denying the 3; challenge the SMC guards to do it off the bounce
Basically, make the SMC guards dribblers/finishers that have to score inside, hopefully under pressure, without giving up open catch and shoots on the kick; Hermanson and co. can finish inside, no doubt they’ve proven they can, can get in the lane and finish, but Zags can also contest and rebound the misses (keep Landale off that o glass when others shoot it), opening up the Zag running game while limiting Landale touches.
The high ball pressure D brings the Bennett screen/roll game as a counter surely, and on ideas to win that battle this evening, I’m looking to Few and co. to show us all!! I asked in another thread for thoughts, and even in this thread whose topic is Landale, there’s not much on how to counter the screen/roll. I get it, tough ask.
This one specific challenge holds a key hopefully the Zags carry in their pocket tonight. One piece, imho, is the dribble defender who gets picked needs to sell the fouls going on and pin a whistle(s) on Landale!
Go Zags

scott257
02-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Evidently the answer to this question is yes.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-10-2018, 08:42 PM
JWIII quoted in San Francisco Chronice (with a smile) to the effect that 'we have a plan, but I ain't sayin'

Hope it works, whatever it is.

It did.

bballbeachbum
02-10-2018, 08:45 PM
It did.

just blown away at the utter domination of Landale tonight!
master class gameplan and execution, just master class tonight!

GrizZAG
02-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Final answer: Yup!!

hooter73
02-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Crow tastes good.

Reborn
02-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Great thread, and great question. Zags don't need to do anything different in this game regarding Landale. Zags will defend the Zag way, which is to play defense as a unit, as a team. The Zags defense has improved leaps and bounds in the last month. Defense won't be played the way it was the last time around. It will be tougher, and it will be more intense. Defense has been winning games for us lately, and it will win for us tomorrow. IMO, our defense is much better and tougher than the Gaels.

I like this question betterm "What must the Zags do differently on offense to score more points than the Gaels?" That simplifies things. The answer is easy. Our guards must step up and start playing like Zags and begin to make some shots. This bad habbit have poor shooting just has to stop. It's time our guards begin to carry some of the offensive load. GU has a great history of very talented shooters and it's just about time for this group to realize that, and pick up the slack and start playing like Zags. I'll be cheering as loud as I can for our shooters. Come on guys. Step up and knock down those outside shots. Your team needs you.

Go Zags!!!

I think the Zags started the hitting their first four threes and jumping out to a 21-5 lead. Way to go and get that kind of lead you Zag Ninja shooters.

Go Zags!!!

ZagsObserver
02-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Good work, Zags. Loved what Rui brought. Hoping his role on the team will increase over the balance of the season.

CdAZagFan
02-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Amazing how they limited Landale, Hermanson and Naar... Taking 1 out is tough enough, taking all three of those guys out is truly a marvel.

Coach Crazy
02-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Amazing how they limited Landale, Hermanson and Naar... Taking 1 out is tough enough, taking all three of those guys out is truly a marvel.

Bringing the help D down the heel line of the two other defenders in their "pod" was genius. Everyone understood their responsibility, and the commitment to perimeter D was savage.

zag67
02-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Great game plan and well executed I thought the switching on defense is fantastic also a great game by Rui

caduceus
02-11-2018, 12:04 AM
http://rantsports.media.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa-basketball/files/2012/09/Randy-Bennett.jpg

CDC84
02-11-2018, 01:24 AM
The greatest key to the successful defense on Landale was not only the viciousness of the double teams on him, but the incredible close outs on SMC's shooters after Landale gave the ball up. SMC is one of the greatest 3 point shooting teams in the nation, and yet Hermanson and co. couldn't buy a look. The Gaels only went 5-20 from three tonight. I am sure Tommy told the team during the game prep (he was the scout tonight) that if Gonzaga wanted to have a chance of winning the regular season WCC title, its perimeters (and sometimes even its big men) needed to recover to the three point line as fast as humanly possible in tonight's game.

I suspect that Few will throw in some tweaks to surprise SMC if game three occurs, but this is clearly the way to beat St. Mary's. And frankly, GU's athleticism and height along the perimeter allowed them to implement this strategy. It's yet another reason why GU's improvement in defense came, in part, from their recruitment of bigger, more athletic and lengthy guards. I mean, I loved Kevin Pangos as a GU player. But no matter how great he was, he's not recovering to the three point line tonight like Corey Kispert, Silas Melson or even the defensively challenged (at times - he's getting better) Zach Norvell Jr.

jazzdelmar
02-11-2018, 03:44 AM
Asked and answered.

Hoopaholic
02-11-2018, 05:40 AM
The greatest key to the successful defense on Landale was not only the viciousness of the double teams on him, but the incredible close outs on SMC's shooters after Landale gave the ball up. SMC is one of the greatest 3 point shooting teams in the nation, and yet Hermanson and co. couldn't buy a look. The Gaels only went 5-20 from three tonight. I am sure Tommy told the team during the game prep (he was the scout tonight) that if Gonzaga wanted to have a chance of winning the regular season WCC title, its perimeters (and sometimes even its big men) needed to recover to the three point line as fast as humanly possible in tonight's game.

I suspect that Few will throw in some tweaks to surprise SMC if game three occurs, but this is clearly the way to beat St. Mary's. And frankly, GU's athleticism and height along the perimeter allowed them to implement this strategy. It's yet another reason why GU's improvement in defense came, in part, from their recruitment of bigger, more athletic and lengthy guards. I mean, I loved Kevin Pangos as a GU player. But no matter how great he was, he's not recovering to the three point line tonight like Corey Kispert, Silas Melson or even the defensively challenged (at times - he's getting better) Zach Norvell Jr.

SMC played right into this defensive scheme in that the 4 out guys are generally stationary thus allowing the weakside corner rotation possible

Game 3 we will need be ready for hard cuts to basket from SMC against this defense if used

zag67
02-11-2018, 06:04 AM
What a job they did on Langdale. He only scored 2 points in the offense. The other two was on a breakaway dunk. I could not believe how well we did on defense. Our multiple switching was almost impossible to get a wide open shot

bballbeachbum
02-11-2018, 06:57 AM
SMC played right into this defensive scheme in that the 4 out guys are generally stationary thus allowing the weakside corner rotation possible

Game 3 we will need be ready for hard cuts to basket from SMC against this defense if used

yep, good call. SMC did cut to the basket but only the post feeder did it, who after figuring out the double was dropping off him, got clean to the hoop more than once with the diagonal cut
BUT the rest just wheeled the ball around the perimeter looking for the open 3 that did not materialize, allowing the double teamer to rotate all the way to the weak corner after doubling, over and over again
still amazed at how rattled SMC and Bennett got by this; Zags caught them by surprise looked like, no way SMC thought in their wildest dreams the Zags would double and scramble and they did not react well to it at all, kind of deer in the headlights

gonstu
02-11-2018, 07:00 AM
http://rantsports.media.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa-basketball/files/2012/09/Randy-Bennett.jpg

lol

kyle dixon
02-11-2018, 07:14 AM
I think it might be safe to assume Landale won't win Player of the Week again this week. Melson might have competition for Defensive Player of the Year. Williams looked sharp. Great result last night and Few, et al game planned a master piece.

TravelinZag
02-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Turns out we did. Impressed that both coaches pulled their starters early when the result was clear. Why risk injuries, and deny minutes to subs when the win is decided. Kudos Few and Bennett.

Zagger
02-11-2018, 05:24 PM
lol

I actually like Bennett. He'll learn from this and give the Zags stiff competition while he's at SMC. I admire any team that can beat the Zags in the Kennel. I'm really looking forward to the UNC/Zags home and home :)

Fancygolfpants
02-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Bowing down to our players and coaches. Fully prostrate in fact (prostate?). Forehead pressed to floor. Magnificent job, Zags.

CDC84
02-11-2018, 09:40 PM
The thing about the double teams last night on Lansdale is that they were so vicious that GU was making it hard on him to even make passes to his teammates because he was so far away from the hoop. Hence, the reason why Sean kept saying: "why is Landale settling for such crappy post position?" I understand that if GU employs the same strategy that Bennett will likely counter by sending its wings and PF as cutters. GU will have to have a counter for that. But a big part of what made the double so nasty was that when most teams double a big like Landale, they do so when he is closer to the basket than Landale was last night. As soon as Landale caught the ball 13 feet from the hoop 2 Zags were on him immediately.

Putting Rui on Naar last night was an interesting but smart move. Naar is not a good finisher around the rim, which is why I felt before the season the Gaels wouldn't be as good as they were last season. Rahon was GREAT at finishing around the hoop. But by putting Rui on Naar, if Naar cut to the rim, he had Rui behind him with his tremendous length, height and athleticism to block or obstruct his shot.

Hoopaholic
02-12-2018, 02:50 AM
The thing about the double teams last night on Lansdale is that they were so vicious that GU was making it hard on him to even make passes to his teammates because he was so far away from the hoop. Hence, the reason why Sean kept saying: "why is Landale settling for such crappy post position?" I understand that if GU employs the same strategy that Bennett will likely counter by sending its wings and PF as cutters. GU will have to have a counter for that. But a big part of what made the double so nasty was that when most teams double a big like Landale, they do so when he is closer to the basket than Landale was last night. As soon as Landale caught the ball 13 feet from the hoop 2 Zags were on him immediately.

Putting Rui on Naar last night was an interesting but smart move. Naar is not a good finisher around the rim, which is why I felt before the season the Gaels wouldn't be as good as they were last season. Rahon was GREAT at finishing around the hoop. But by putting Rui on Naar, if Naar cut to the rim, he had Rui behind him with his tremendous length, height and athleticism to block or obstruct his shot.
And the Primary reason for him not catching it on block was the early defensive work by j3 displacing him from the block area

kitzbuel
02-12-2018, 04:02 AM
I have to really think that having Karno last year who was so good at passing out of double teams helped the staff prepare for defending that same kind of offense.

Landale is not nearly as capable as Karno at adjusting to different double teams on the fly and Bennett didn't game plan enough adjustments for him. Rui and Norvell spent all last year trying to defend against Karno and his passing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zags11
02-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Landale was completely frustrated and nervous with the double screaming at him. The defensive switching was beautiful.

Kudos to Few and the coaching staff. And also the players.

007Zag
02-12-2018, 06:46 AM
The only two times that I can remember Landale finding the cutter was when Tillie was the one doubling down, for two reasons: 1) Tillie's doubles were much slower than our guards' and much higher, leaving a passing lane between himself and J3, and 2) it's not as easy for a guard to rotate over to a PF and challenge a roll to the rim as it was for Rui/Tillie to rotate over and meet a guard at the rim.

Regardless, it was a thing of beauty watching that full team switch off the double with the doubler rotating back to the far corner. Landale was completely out of sorts, and watching him run away from Silas' doubleteam and call timeout (I think it was midway through the second half) was probably my favorite moment of the game.

Birddog
02-12-2018, 08:12 AM
The only two times that I can remember Landale finding the cutter was when Tillie was the one doubling down, for two reasons: 1) Tillie's doubles were much slower than our guards' and much higher, leaving a passing lane between himself and J3, and 2) it's not as easy for a guard to rotate over to a PF and challenge a roll to the rim as it was for Rui/Tillie to rotate over and meet a guard at the rim.

Regardless, it was a thing of beauty watching that full team switch off the double with the doubler rotating back to the far corner. Landale was completely out of sorts, and watching him run away from Silas' doubleteam and call timeout (I think it was midway through the second half) was probably my favorite moment of the game.
I knew it was over when that happened, the frustration was killing the Gaels. Also isn't that about when Naar took a seat ?

gonstu
02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
I actually like Bennett. He'll learn from this and give the Zags stiff competition while he's at SMC. I admire any team that can beat the Zags in the Kennel. I'm really looking forward to the UNC/Zags home and home :)

Can't get behind that statement, it'd mean I'd have to admire the BYUs. yuck.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2018, 08:39 PM

another wrinkle I noticed watching the replay was that Landale was not allowed to turn and skip pass opposite once doubled, a la Karno; he was not allowed to beat the rotations with one pass