PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio-GU-UOP

Section 116
02-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Hudson and Morrison: Zags win ugly ball gamer 71-61. GU up by 7 at half and then it just got ugly. GU went a span of 7 minutes in the second half without a field goal, UOP went a span of 9 minutes, but the Zags found a way to win. Morrison actually said the Zags play was atrocious at times, especially in the second half. Zags just 39% from the field with 5 in double figures, Tillie with 21, Perk with 12, three with 10, Hachimura, Williams and Norvell. Gallinat leads UOP with 15, Reynolds 13, Tripp 12. Tillie gave the Zags the lead for good about 5 minutes in @ 10-8. Zags lead about 9 late in the first half but went into the half at 36-29. After the 7 minute drought in the second half the Zags pretty much secured the win from the free throw line. As noted on TV at one point in the second half the Zags were 7-24 from the field. Zags win rebounding handily at 46-31 and 14 on the offensive boards, many of them big in the 2nd half.

Michaelson: We know coming in this would be tough, they lost to SMC in a one possession game, and this place has always been tough for us. We did a nice job on the defensive end and an incredible job on the boards. J3 was a big again with a double double but we shot terrible from the outside. You always worry about were we looking ahead to SMC. This is like 54 or 55 straight wins against teams we are supposed to beat and that is what wins league championships. We knew what we were getting ourselves into tonight. Corey kept us in the game in the second half with some big offensive boards and a nice dump down to Snaz when we really needed a bucket. Tonight turnovers were disappointing and three point shooting was bad (Novell and Perk 2-12 with both makes by Norvell) but we were 84% from the line shooting 25 attempts. We have stayed focused after the SMC loss, they have great players and Landale is probably one of the top players in the country, not just in the WCC. Well just get to work on that right away.

Hudson: Tillie and J3 both had double doubles. Zags shoot 52% in the first half but just 27% in the second. Morrison said frankly the second half was tough to watch and tough to call. I think Morrison said even when we had our best team ever last year we had a tough time winning here. The two point shooting was good tonight but the three point shooting really dragged the shooting down. We've seen a handful of games now were the Zags go 6-7 minutes without a bucket, but the defense has bailed them out. But as Morrison noted when you seen a team for the second time in this league or any league they know what you are going to do and you know what they are going to do but against the better teams (aka SMC) you can't go 7 minutes without a field goal. But even with poor shooting you look at the rebounds and the free throw shooting, those things can help you win. Morrison said what I am going to be looking for on Saturday is who is going to step up when we are going two to three minutes without a score. Who is the guy that is going to say I am going to take my guy and make a play. That's the guy you need, especially when it is late in February and heading into March!

RenoZag
02-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Zags average margin of victory in Stockton in 5 games: 13.8 points, with wins by 17,12,10, 20, and 10 points. In the 2015-16 season, they won by a score of 71 - 61. . . Zags were giving 13.5 last night.

Zagricultural
02-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Why aren't we seeing Larsen? Me thinks we're certainly trending the wrong way right now.

spike_jr
02-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks 116. I really look forward to this thread.

23dpg
02-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Why aren't we seeing Larsen? Me thinks we're certainly trending the wrong way right now.

Larsen played in both halfs. Add to the facts that Tillie, Williams and Hach played pretty good, I don’t think there are too many minutes to give out.

Outraged
02-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Thank you 116 I always look forward to this.

adoptedzag
02-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Larsen played in both halfs. Add to the facts that Tillie, Williams and Hach played pretty good, I don’t think there are too many minutes to give out.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about Larsen playing time this game. Our frontcourt is doing a bangup job at the moment, no need to mess with the rotation this deep in the season.