PDA

View Full Version : other games 2/7/18

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Purdue and Ohio St. are just getting started. Inside track for a Big 10 title on the line.

Uh...St. John's is about to take down Villanova. What the heck has gotten into the Johnnies all of a sudden? Losing record on the season but knocking off Duke and 'Nova in less than a week. Really? 73-69 w/ 39 seconds left.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Virginia overcame a 10 point halftime deficit to beat Florida St. 59-55.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:02 PM
tOSU and Purdue are tied at 11 about 9 minutes into the game.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:06 PM
SE Louisiana leading Incarnate Word by 10 early in the 2nd half.

Texas and Kansas St. tied at 34 at halftime.

Florida beat LSU 73-64.

Creighton playing DePaul later tonight. A few other games w/ ranked teams on the docket also later.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:08 PM
St. John's was 0-11 in the Big East coming into the game. Up 77-75 w/ 3 seconds left.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 06:12 PM
79-75 final. Virginia will slide up to #1 in the next poll, as long as they can avoid losing between now and then.

strikenowhere
02-07-2018, 06:19 PM
79-75 final. Virginia will slide up to #1 in the next poll, as long as they can avoid losing between now and then.

Amazing - what the hell was the Zags excuse? Surely St. John's isn't a better coached/more talented team?

23dpg
02-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Amazing - what the hell was the Zags excuse? Surely St. John's isn't a better coached/more talented team?

Sarcasm?
If not, what’s your point? You’d be ok with an 11 game losing streak as long as we beat Nova? Including 2 losses to Creighton. :confused:

23dpg
02-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Ohio State beats Purdue. Coach of the year candidate there. They shouldn’t be this good.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Great win for THE Ohio State and the Zags.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game. Two thoughts: Purdue has an incredible crowd; Ohio State mental toughness to come back and win in that environment is really really impressive.

sullyzag66
02-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Ohio State beats Purdue. Coach of the year candidate there. They shouldn’t be this good.

Katz asked the coach what he told them before the end of the game and he said, “You don’t have to tell these guys much, they play on instincts.” Maybe they don’t need a coach. [emoji6]

RenoZag
02-07-2018, 08:00 PM
With tonight's loss, Jay Wright's record in Big East play over the last four seasons plummets all the way down to 56-9. (John Gasaway)

Jay Wright: "We've had difficulty defending all year, and [St. John's is] as good as it gets in terms of isolating one-on-one. . . We weren't able to guard them." (Jeff Borzello )

strikenowhere
02-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Sarcasm?
If not, what’s your point? You’d be ok with an 11 game losing streak as long as we beat Nova? Including 2 losses to Creighton. :confused:

No sarcasm - I am truly scratching my head how a 10-13 team (previously 0-11 in conference) beats both Duke (neutral court) and Villanova (on the road!), yet the Zags got pounded by the Nova with a much better roster & coach.

sittingon50
02-07-2018, 08:19 PM
81 Texas A&M (16-8,5-6
80 Auburn (#8 21-3,9-2) @ Auburn

Zag_Dad
02-07-2018, 08:23 PM
81 Texas A&M (16-8,5-6
80 Auburn (#8 21-3,9-2) @ Auburn

More than ever, so much parity in college hoops this year.

RenoZag
02-07-2018, 08:26 PM
More than ever, so much parody in college hoops this year.

Hope the parity ends at the doors of the Spanos Center tomorrow night. . .BEAT THE TIGERS !

23dpg
02-07-2018, 08:27 PM
No sarcasm - I am truly scratching my head how a 10-13 team (previously 0-11 in conference) beats both Duke (neutral court) and Villanova (on the road!), yet the Zags got pounded by the Nova with a much better roster & coach.

The real question there is St. John’s, not Gonzaga. Villanova is a better team on most nights than the Zags.
Honest answer: Better teams don’t always play their best. Bad teams sometimes play above their heads.

Sports!

WallaWallaZag
02-07-2018, 08:31 PM

having a gifted point guard (shamori ponds) who can take over a game when hot can lead to many upsets...it's how a very average uconn team won an ncaa championship (kemba)

sittingon50
02-07-2018, 08:39 PM
K State 67
Texas 64

Creighton 76
DePaul 75

Utah St. 65
Wyoming 83

Reborn
02-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Amazing what is happening in college hoops this year. Mind blowing really. I the more we look at all this the more I like the Zags. They've lost one conference game to a really good team,and have NO BAD LOSSES. NONE. One bame by more than 3 points, and all of them are darn good teams. New Mexico State may be the one exception but they do play fantastic at home. Gonzaga continues to have tough games, and maybe now people will understand why. It's dang hard to win in conference, no matter what one you play in. Look how many times who we didn't expect to give us hard games and did, look at how they shot the ball. Incredible shooting by some of those teams, and believe me it wasn't always the bad defense Gonzaga played. Opponents just shot fantastic. Everyone really does want to pull upsets on the really good teams like Gonzaga, Duke, Villanova, Michigan State, Ohio State. Kansas, Kentucky. ect.....and sometimes great teams will have an off night like the Zags have had, and did have against St Mary's for sure. I'm sure hoping for better shooting in both games this week. If we win both games it will be amazing really.

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 10:54 PM
One other upset, UNLV over #23 Nevada 86-78. I would assume this helps Boise St.'s chances of winning the Mountain West.

I looked it up, BSU now in first place by 1/2 game over Nevada.

seacatfan
02-07-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking the Tourney this year is going to be WIDE open. It could be that a traditional power ends up winning it, or it could be a good program that hasn't had elite success like a Virginia or Purdue, or it could be somebody completely out of nowhere. I'm not even going to try to make a prediction.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2018, 01:52 AM
having a gifted point guard (shamori ponds) who can take over a game when hot can lead to many upsets...it's how a very average uconn team won an ncaa championship (kemba)

Careful, WW.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-08-2018, 02:58 AM

Villanova was missing two starters: Phil Booth and Eric Paschall. St John’s played great though and won on the road so still a great win for them.

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2018, 04:26 AM
Careful, WW.

nah...i don't have your rep (i think :p) and besides, perkins doesn't need to be able to take over a game with one-on-one scoring skills to become a great point guard at gu with all the surrounding talent.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2018, 05:25 AM
nah...i don't have your rep (i think :p) and besides, perkins doesn't need to be able to take over a game with one-on-one scoring skills to become a great point guard at gu with all the surrounding talent.

Nice backaway, WW. You got skillz.

RenoZag
02-08-2018, 06:27 AM
One other upset, UNLV over #23 Nevada 86-78. I would assume this helps Boise St.'s chances of winning the Mountain West.

I think that's the fourth time UNR has lost a game immediately after cracking the Top 25. They were short one of their best players ( Caleb Martin ), shot 38% from the field ( UNLV was 50%). . .the sell-out crowd at Lawlor wasn't enough to beat the Rebels. . .

The loss of Caleb Martin is significant: He could be out 6-8 weeks and he was the leading scorer in the conference.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Nevadas-Caleb-Martin-out-indefinitely-with-Lisfranc-sprain-473305183.html

caldwellzag
02-08-2018, 06:35 AM

They play next Wednesday at Taco Bell Arena. The MW regular season championship will be on the line.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 07:01 AM

Everyone was getting pounded by Nova. That's why it was a HUGE upset. Context isn't your forte apparently.

strikenowhere
02-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Now see this was a good answer to my question:

Villanova was missing two starters: Phil Booth and Eric Paschall. St John’s played great though and won on the road so still a great win for them.

while this:

Everyone was getting pounded by Nova. That's why it was a HUGE upset. Context isn't your forte apparently.

is not.

Zagsker
02-08-2018, 07:40 AM

while this:

is not.

Well...when making your statement did you take into context that Nova was missing two starters?

ZagsGoZags
02-08-2018, 08:19 AM
our win over U of Wash. is looking better and better on our resume,
they are 3rd in Pac 12 now

MileHigh
02-08-2018, 08:40 AM
our win over U of Wash. is looking better and better on our resume,
they are 3rd in Pac 12 now
Dawgs are playing well and they are in great position to get one of the three likely NCAA bids out of the Pac12. Zona is a lock, and UW, USC, and ASU are battling for those other two spots.

Unlikley that 4 get in from a very weak Pac12 this year

caldwellzag
02-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Dawgs are playing well and they are in great position to get one of the three likely NCAA bids out of the Pac12. Zona is a lock, and UW, USC, and ASU are battling for those other two spots.

Unlikley that 4 get in from a very weak Pac12 this year

The Pac12 is weak this year for sure, but they will get all four in because they are the "Conference of Champions." Their rep itself gets all four of them in and maybe another one or two if they finish strong. UCLA will probably get in because they are UCLA and could end up with 20 wins.

vandalzag
02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Nova is a better team than GU, especially when they have a health and complete roster. While GU is capable of beating them it would require the zags to play an A game and the Nova to come in with a B-C level effort. Last night SJ shot 24 FT's to 12 for Nova. SJ shot 40% 3pt Nova 24% that is how the better team loses. Nova shoots their usual percentage from 3 and they win by 10. Nova had a bad night.

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2018, 08:48 AM

while this:

is not.

Villanova was 22-1 coming into last night and you made a serious question as to why we couldn't beat them on their home court, despite no other team being able to do it either, prior to last night. You didn't like my answer, that's fair because I didn't like your question, it was absurd.

strikenowhere
02-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Nova is a better team than GU, especially when they have a health and complete roster. While GU is capable of beating them it would require the zags to play an A game and the Nova to come in with a B-C level effort. Last night SJ shot 24 FT's to 12 for Nova. SJ shot 40% 3pt Nova 24% that is how the better team loses. Nova shoots their usual percentage from 3 and they win by 10. Nova had a bad night.

I completely agree that Nova has a better roster than the Zags when both teams are at full strength (my original post was meant to imply that the Zags roster/coaching was better than St. John's although it looks like it could be read either way). At the time of my question I did not know that they were missing two starters (Booth & Paschall) as Flex pointed out later. It is still just astounding that even missing two starters that Nova, the #1 team in the nation, didn't completely roll the Johnnies, a team that is 0-11 in conference, at home. Maybe it was a a hangover from Superbowl partying? CBB has been very unpredictable this year.

tinfoilzag
02-08-2018, 09:21 AM
They've lost one conference game to a really good team,and have NO BAD LOSSES. NONE. One bame by more than 3 points, and all of them are darn good teams. New Mexico State may be the one exception but they do play fantastic at home.
Go Zags!!!

The SDSU loss could be a bad loss by selection time as they are trending to be below top 150 by the end of the season. It was close and on the road but I think this is the loss that guarantees we won't be a protected seed. There aren't enough big games on our schedule to counter it.