PDA

View Full Version : 3x3 tournament at the final 4

IowaSERE
02-06-2018, 07:19 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-the-100k-3-on-3-tourney-for-college-seniors-held-at-the-final-four-will-work/

Who would the 4 from the WCC be? I'm thinking Melson and J3 would be on it.

Corky
02-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Sounds very fun to watch. Would be loaded teams.

IowaSERE
02-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Lansdale would be on it too I'd hope.

meadgrad02
02-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Melson and J3 won't be available. They will be playing in the National Semifinal Saturday night.

TravelinZag
02-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Because that would theoretically apply to many teams until NCAA bids are announced, and that is probably too late to form a 3 on 3 team. If conferences are the sponsors, the earliest the WCC could for a team would be after the league tournament quarter-finals are completed.

sideshow06
02-06-2018, 09:34 AM
I would think Landale is an automatic at this point. I'd even say it is likely to be an all-SMC/GU affair. After Landale you're basically picking from your two guys (Melson & Williams), and Naar and Hermanson from SMC. While Udenyi from Pepperdine and Hartwich from Portland (shot-blocking) would be two other seniors I might consider, I'm really not sure either would be worth displacing Melson, Williams, Naar or Hermanson. Our league really has a lack of seniors this year, especially on the non-SMC/GU teams.

If I had to pick I might go Landale, Williams, Melson and Naar.

It's a fun idea. I think it would be great for SMC and GU fans to actually be rooting together - and not just in a "we root for the WCC when we're not playing each other" kind of way. We'd actually be rooting on the same team against P5 conferences.

amaronizag
02-06-2018, 10:31 AM
How about:
Landale, Rui, Haas
or
Landale, Tillie, Snacks
or
Landale, J3, Naar

My favorite for championship game of the 3X3 Tournament is Trey Young and whoever is on his team against Marvin Bagley III and whoever is on his team.

sittingon50
02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Srs.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-06-2018, 10:48 AM
How about:
Landale, Rui, Haas
or
Landale, Tillie, Snacks
or
Landale, J3, Naar

My favorite for championship game of the 3X3 Tournament is Trey Young and whoever is on his team against Marvin Bagley III and whoever is on his team.

Only seniors play in this tournament.

SJZag
02-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Eligible WCC seniors:

BYU - Kyle Davis (F)
GU - Silas Melson (G), Johnathan Williams III (F)
LMU - Petr Herman (F), Steven Haney (F)
Pacific - Namdi Okonkwo (C)
Pepperdine - Amadi Udenyi (G), Kevin Hempy (F), Matthew Atewe (F)
Portland - D'Marques Tyson (G), Phillip Hartwich (C)
SMC - Emmett Naar (G), Calvin Hermanson (F), Cullen Neal (G), Jock Landale (C)
San Diego - Cameron Neubauer (F)
San Francisco - Chase Foster (F), Mars Pasache (G)
Santa Clara - Jarvis Pugh (F), Henry Caruso (F), Kai Healy (G), Matt Jasaitis (G), Emmanuel Ndumanya (C)

In a 5 on 5 game, Landale and Naar are both starters for sure. But I don't think a 3 on 3 game suits either of their skill sets particularly well. Same goes for Melson and Williams (defensive ability is a big plus, not sure that'd they'd be effective enough offensively). Really tough call because this isn't super strong year for WCC seniors, especially at the guard position.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Eligible WCC seniors:

BYU - Kyle Davis (F)
GU - Silas Melson (G), Johnathan Williams III (F)
LMU - Petr Herman (F), Steven Haney (F)
Pacific - Namdi Okonkwo (C)
Pepperdine - Amadi Udenyi (G), Kevin Hempy (F), Matthew Atewe (F)
Portland - D'Marques Tyson (G), Phillip Hartwich (C)
SMC - Emmett Naar (G), Calvin Hermanson (F), Cullen Neal (G), Jock Landale (C)
San Diego - Cameron Neubauer (F)
San Francisco - Chase Foster (F), Mars Pasache (G)
Santa Clara - Jarvis Pugh (F), Henry Caruso (F), Kai Healy (G), Matt Jasaitis (G), Emmanuel Ndumanya (C)

In a 5 on 5 game, Landale and Naar are both starters for sure. But I don't think a 3 on 3 game suits either of their skill sets particularly well. Same goes for Melson and Williams (defensive ability is a big plus, not sure that'd they'd be effective enough offensively). Really tough call because this isn't super strong year for WCC seniors, especially at the guard position.

disagree

3 on 3 provides for a much greater open space and better angle options for the pick and roll with very limited ability to obstruct or help from a weakside position like you would see in a 5 on 5

landale and naar with Hermanson spotting up in 3 on 3 would be absolutely deadly IMO

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-06-2018, 01:36 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-the-100k-3-on-3-tourney-for-college-seniors-held-at-the-final-four-will-work/

Who would the 4 from the WCC be? I'm thinking Melson and J3 would be on it.

I love this! Games are 10 minutes or first team to score 21; basket is 1 pt w buckets from beyond the arc worth 2 pts. That last detail is huge as it definitely puts a premium on high percentage shooters from 3. Love our Zags but gotta agree a team of Landale, Naar and Hermanson would be WCCs best 3; however, I highly doubt the sportswriters who pick the conference teams would select 3 of 4 from same team.

SJZag
02-06-2018, 01:38 PM
That's true, but on the other hand it'd be easier for the one of the other defenders to recover and rotate back with only one player to track instead of three. If the offense has a reduced ability to swing the ball around to find an open shooter, that pick and roll attack becomes predictable. On the other side of the ball, I don't think that Naar or Landale would be effective defensively with their less-than-stellar athleticism. It would definitely be interesting to see if the positive aspects of a Naar/Landale pairing for a 3 on 3 game outweigh the negative ones.

sittingon50
02-06-2018, 02:43 PM
SJ,

Pretty sure BYU's Kyle Davis was a Sr. last year. Got hurt early & didn't play much at all. And he wasn't listed on the roster I saw at the game Sat. Nite.

Edit to add: Not seeing him listed on the Kenpom site either.

Radbooks
02-06-2018, 02:53 PM
It's only ONE player per school.

sideshow06
02-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Seems like an unfortunate limitation for our league. Not that I think it would be fair for all the players to come from one team either.

Zags_Fanatic
02-06-2018, 03:59 PM

I don't think this is true. They announced the midseason nominees in December and both Silas and J3 were on the list.

Seems like a lot of speculation here, but the 4 announced in December were:

Silas Melson
J3
Jock Landale
and Henry Caruso from Santa Clara

U Zig, I Zag
02-06-2018, 03:59 PM
I would have to think Melson and Landale because of the lack of guards (otherwise Williams). Not sure after that.

Zags_Fanatic
02-06-2018, 04:04 PM
I didn't see it on this thread, but it's pretty cool that Matt Santangelo is on the committee that will decide representing Hoopfest.

KStyles
02-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Limit of two per school, according to a similar article to Matt Norlander's in the first post from another one of the selection committee members, Bobby Reagan.

"All 32 conferences will have a team of four players. Out of those four players, no more than two can come from the same team – meaning you can’t essentially just field Seton Hall or Purdue out there if they aren’t in the Final Four."

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/details-on-how-the-100k-3-on-3-at-the-final-four-will-work-released/

sideshow06
02-06-2018, 08:41 PM
If it’s two per team I say Landale and Naar are in, then Williams and probably Melson too. I do like Caruso but I can’t really see him (or Udenyi or Hartwich) cracking the top 4. I think Hermanson is the unfortunate victim of the two per team rule, as I think he’s top 4 material. And yes, I’m a Gael fan so take my bias for what it’s worth - at least a couple of you agree with me. I’m good with two Gaels and two Zags.

Why not two teams per league (an A and a B team) and make it a 64 team bracket? Then we all get what we want.

Zag_Dad
02-07-2018, 07:26 AM
"SMC - Emmett Naar (G), Calvin Hermanson (F), Cullen Neal (G), Jock Landale (C)"

WOW ... this is the first time I've looked at this in print They better get it done this year... they will be losing a lot of talent after this year.

maynard g krebs
02-07-2018, 12:39 PM
"SMC - Emmett Naar (G), Calvin Hermanson (F), Cullen Neal (G), Jock Landale (C)"

WOW ... this is the first time I've looked at this in print They better get it done this year... they will be losing a lot of talent after this year.

Sure, this is a peak year for them, as last was for the Zags, but I'd guess they'll be down relatively about as much as the Zags are from last year to this. Sounds like they've got plenty of good players on the way, or ready to step into bigger roles. As long as Bennett is there, it would take a confluence of bad circumstances for them to fall far imo.

MileHigh
02-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Naar seems to me like a "system guy" that thrives in St Marys structured system, but would not be real effective in 3 on 3 where you often have to break your guy down off the dribble and create on your own. I would think Hermonsen would get picked before him.

Zags_Fanatic
02-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Naar seems to me like a "system guy" that thrives in St Marys structured system, but would not be real effective in 3 on 3 where you often have to break your guy down off the dribble and create on your own. I would think Hermonsen would get picked before him.

Agree 100%, you need buckets in 3x3 and Near is a great facilitator within their system but not the guy I want on the court in a free flowing offense with just two other players.

sittingon50
02-07-2018, 11:05 PM
Not so sure. Seem to remember Naar getting into the lane & just getting the ball to Landale up near the rim for plenty of easy buckets. Seems to me you need to value possessions; Naar would be the guy, IMO.

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2018, 03:33 AM
jw3's versatility makes him a great 3-on-3 guy...he can switch on just about anyone. naar would be a major defensive liability in this format...

maynard g krebs
02-08-2018, 09:21 PM
jw3's versatility makes him a great 3-on-3 guy...he can switch on just about anyone. naar would be a major defensive liability in this format...

Yeah, but it's ones and twos instead of twos and threes, so it's the twos that really hurt you. And Naar is shooting so few threes this year, people might tend to forget he's an excellent 3 pt shooter.

Outraged
02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Would love to see Tillie in this. He has the best record at this.

IowaSERE
02-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Would love to see Tillie in this. He has the best record at this.

He'll never be an NCAA Senior