PDA

View Full Version : GU Games Live in Japan

Norwester
02-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Four MBB Games to Air in Japan on J SPORTS
Agreement starts with Feb. 1 matchup with USD on tape delay

SPOKANE, Wash. — Last Thursday’s game against San Diego was the first of four Gonzaga men’s basketball regular season games to air in Japan on J SPORTS.

In an agreement with ROOT SPORTS through Metta Sport, the games appear on both the television and over-the-top (OTT) platforms on one of the four J SPORTS channels to as many as 6.5 million households in Japan. J SPORTS is only available on either platform to subscribers in Japan.

“We want to thank our partners at ROOT SPORTS for their work on this agreement through Metta Sport to take our program international,” Gonzaga Director of Athletics Mike Roth said. “This is a great step for the continued growth and exposure for Gonzaga basketball worldwide.”

The first two games, including Feb. 1 vs. San Diego and Feb. 8 at Pacific, air on tape delay. The final two games of the agreement, Feb. 15 vs. Loyola Marymount and Feb. 17 vs. Pepperdine, will air live on J SPORTS.

Gonzaga, ranked No. 12 in the Associated Press poll, is 21-4 on the season, including an 11-1 mark in the West Coast Conference.

Todd Zeidler

Zagdawg
02-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Rui has the potential to bring some extra cash to the NBA team who signs him -- I can see them playing a exhibition game in Japan. It would be nice if the Zags could get a preseason game in Japan for him to be able to play in front of friends and family.

Sound Voltex
02-05-2018, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they were already broadcasting GU games in Japan on J SPORTS well even before this announcement...but technically those games used ESPN's feed, not ROOT SPORTS.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61636-Zags-games-to-be-broadcast-on-Japanese-TV

zagdontzig
02-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Rui has the potential to bring some extra cash to the NBA team who signs him -- I can see them playing a exhibition game in Japan. It would be nice if the Zags could get a preseason game in Japan for him to be able to play in front of friends and family.

Merchandise as well.

TravelinZag
02-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Curious, does anyone know what current broadcasts of college basketball are available in other nations (Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, etc.)?