PDA

View Full Version : Tickled to see the two highest ranked teams in the West...

BobZag
02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
...are WCC teams, not the Conference of Champions.

SWZag
02-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Amen to that!!!!!

Zag_Dad
02-05-2018, 10:09 AM

Don't tell Bill Walton

gonstu
02-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Saturday Winner (if both win on Thursday) gets top 10 next week. Too bad one team will have to drop.

Bogozags
02-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Saturday Winner (if both win on Thursday) gets top 10 next week. Too bad one team will have to drop.

I sure hope I'm wrong but I predict the loser drops 7-8 spots, which IMO will be unfair and unbalanced compared to a "KU" that loses at home to a "nobody."

CDC84
02-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Time for Walton to, as the rock band Boston once said, "take a toke or two."

Kiddwell
02-05-2018, 11:38 AM
The winner of Saturday's game (GU/SMC) moves into the Top-10, which still keeps at least one WCC team ahead of all those Breakfast of Champions teams, proving that Hamburgers & Fries and Vegemite are far better than a bowl of Wheaties.

:adored:

:]

gueastcoast
02-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Don't tell Bill Walton

What's the level BELOW a "truck stop conference"? :) lol

Zags11
02-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Reborn
02-05-2018, 12:41 PM
that is awesome for sure. Both teams are legit top ten teams. Should be a really great game Thursday.

Nevada Don
02-05-2018, 12:43 PM
In horse racing parlance, let's make Gonzaga and Saint Mary's an "ENTRY". Games against each other will be considered grudge races, winner take all. Otherwise, we win and lose together. GU wins or SMC wins, we share. GIAG's RiordanGael used to refer to the two schools as 1 and 1A, just like an entry in a horse race.

We'll have a 26 man roster (for NCAA purposes it will be a 13 man roster (scholarships). Players will be assigned to each team based on need. To get things started after Saturdays game, you can perhaps have Jock1 for the rest of the season and The Dance. Well, maybe we'll start this next year.

Who's with me ? Let's get creative. We certainly can't make it to The NCAA Finals by ourselves. OH WAIT...Forgot about last year.
Let's do this...DILLY DILLY.. Almost said DELLY DELLY !

ps perhaps I imbibed on the beverage thread a little early today. :drool:

maynard g krebs
02-05-2018, 12:49 PM
FWIW, the other night Bill called Durham a truck stop.

gueastcoast
02-05-2018, 12:52 PM

He really is a piece of work when he's all geared up (which is often)

strikenowhere
02-05-2018, 12:54 PM
that is awesome for sure. Both teams are legit top ten teams. Should be a really great game Thursday.

:confused:

maynard g krebs
02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
He really is a piece of work when he's all geared up (which is often)

Makes it fun for a lot of people, myself included of course. I tape most games of interest if it isn't the Zags or Ducks, and watch them ffwding thru stoppages/ft's; takes 45-50 minutes to watch an entire game, but if Bill's calling the game I don't wanna miss the gem (or turd) he might come up with next.

sittingon50
02-05-2018, 02:17 PM
It is my impression when Bill is using the "Conference of Champions" reference, he is using it in the context that the league promotes itself as. They are speaking of ALL their sports & I believe that the PAC (& it's iterations) has won more National Titles than any other Conference, by a significant margin.

Since we usually only see him doing basketball, it comes across as a basketball only reference, methinks.

jazzdelmar
02-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Knowing Bill, go ahead and assume he frequently uses the phrase in a sarcastic manner.

soccerdud
02-05-2018, 03:05 PM
In horse racing parlance, let's make Gonzaga and Saint Mary's an "ENTRY". Games against each other will be considered grudge races, winner take all. Otherwise, we win and lose together. GU wins or SMC wins, we share. GIAG's RiordanGael used to refer to the two schools as 1 and 1A, just like an entry in a horse race.

We'll have a 26 man roster (for NCAA purposes it will be a 13 man roster (scholarships). Players will be assigned to each team based on need. To get things started after Saturdays game, you can perhaps have Jock1 for the rest of the season and The Dance. Well, maybe we'll start this next year.

Who's with me ? Let's get creative. We certainly can't make it to The NCAA Finals by ourselves. OH WAIT...Forgot about last year.
Let's do this...DILLY DILLY.. Almost said DELLY DELLY !

ps perhaps I imbibed on the beverage thread a little early today. :drool:

i enjoyed this post, even tho just thinking about RG makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and weep for the english language.

seacatfan
02-05-2018, 03:47 PM
It is my impression when Bill is using the "Conference of Champions" reference, he is using it in the context that the league promotes itself as. They are speaking of ALL their sports & I believe that the PAC (& it's iterations) has won more National Titles than any other Conference, by a significant margin.

Since we usually only see him doing basketball, it comes across as a basketball only reference, methinks.

That is exactly right. Since no Pac 12 team has won a Championship in football or hoops recently, non Pac fans like to jump on the "Conference of Champions" thing and say how stupid it is. The conference does have by far and away more National Championships in all sports than any other conference. Several member schools probably have more Championships by themselves than many other conferences have collectively.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-05-2018, 03:59 PM

The Dick’s Hamburgers by the Bagfull Conference?

http://spokaneplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Dicks-Hamburgers-Sign-Spokane-e1428099759195.jpg

BobZag
02-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Time for Walton to, as the rock band Boston once said, "take a toke or two."

Pretty sure he has. Countless times.

bballbeachbum
02-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Pretty sure he has. Countless times.

today I'd bet ;)

bballbeachbum
02-05-2018, 06:15 PM

:roll:
like he sees them

bigblahla
02-06-2018, 07:27 AM
The Dick’s Hamburgers by the Bagfull Conference?

http://spokaneplanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Dicks-Hamburgers-Sign-Spokane-e1428099759195.jpg

Ahhhh! When they were 10 for a Dollar....damn now I want a whammy! ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
02-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Ahhhh! When they were 10 for a Dollar....damn now I want a whammy! ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

blahla,You must be a popular guy, your inbox is full!

TravelinZag
02-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Don’t know, but pretty sure this derisive term would include at least one-third of the 32 D-1 conferences, which basically are at least as uncompetitive as the bottom of the WCC and routinely are dominated by sub-200 RPI, BPI and other measures of competitiveness.

The only reasons to continue their D-1 status are 1. To perpetuate the ludicrous fiction that D-1 is a “national” tournament (per automatic bids to winners of league tournaments,), and 2. To provide fodder for early season walkover opponents for highly ranked teams. These reasons do not justify the denegration of competition. All teams would be better served by the creation of a “D-1A” or some such designation for the non-competitive conferences and programs culminating in a playoff post-season tournament of their own. Works just fine for football, and should be created for basketball.

JMHO, but the present system is an unfair and unnecessary embarrassment for everyone. Invite contrary opinions if someone cares to defend the status quo.

sittingon50
02-06-2018, 11:38 AM
blahla,You must be a popular guy, your inbox is full!

I've known blahla since we were Little Leaguers 50 yrs. ago, Bird.

Believe me he IS a legend!

(in his own mind)

bigblahla
02-06-2018, 12:00 PM
I've known blahla since we were Little Leaguers 50 yrs. ago, Bird.

Believe me he IS a legend!

(in his own mind)

Ha ha ha....brutal 50....made me spit out my coffee....luv ya right back...

Go!! Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
today I'd bet ;)

You never know, but I'm a within a couple of years of Bill's age, and every almost every single stoner I know quit smoking a couple of decades ago, give or take.

I think it's more like Bridges' line in the Big Lebowski:

Maude: "tell me about yourself, Jeffrey. What do you do for entertainment?"

JL: "Oh, the usual. Bowl, drive around, the occasional acid flashback".

bballbeachbum
02-06-2018, 04:31 PM
You never know, but I'm a within a couple of years of Bill's age, and every almost every single stoner I know quit smoking a couple of decades ago, give or take.

I think it's more like Bridges' line in the Big Lebowski:

Maude: "tell me about yourself, Jeffrey. What do you do for entertainment?"

JL: "Oh, the usual. Bowl, drive around, the occasional acid flashback".

haha
you and Bill have me by only a few years but I know many still going strong, successful folks too, but also those that some decade ago ceased all stoning. Which is Bill? Idk but wouldn't be surprised. Always thought it'd be fun to tilt a few back with McGuire and Raftery.......

CDC84
02-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Ah........the golden days

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/540f331d6bb3f7605cdc85e7-1190-625/check-out-the-first-mcdonalds-burger-stand-from-1948.jpg