• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bballbeachbum
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Silas on Haws down the stretch

from about the 1:25 point, 3 straight possessions, three stops, all after Haws had just undressed him on a finish
    first Rose went to him to replicate the undressing previously administered, but Silas responded instead by forcing a Haws brick off the backboard by staying in front with both hands high
    next trip Haws drove the lane with Silas again staying in front and the dig from Zach popped the ball free; Rui double dribbled on the break after uncalled, big break for the Zags
    next trip Haws tried to drive again from the opposite side and got shut down by Silas, forcing a poor pass that was turned over
    after terrible shooting night (1-8) to still express his will and desire not to go 0-4 in the Kennel vs. BYU, down the stretch smothering a guy who had gotten loose, and shut him down at the end to avoid the 0-4 in the Kennel and help secure the W
    very happy for him
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

That play at the end just before Rui double dribbled wasn't close to being a foul. Haws and Coach Rose had zero reason to gripe about that.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

He took good shots, aside from maybe one I can think of, but they just weren't falling (he wasn't the only one). I'm glad he didn't let that effect him on the defensive end. That game was way closer than it should have been, but it seems like that's how it's been the past several games.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

“Defensively, he’s the guy we really trust. He’s got a lot of experience,” assistant coach Tommy Lloyd said.

Melson doesn’t take that trust from his coaches and his teammates lightly. His shots might not have been falling in at the right times on Saturday, but his constant pressure on tough opposing shooters is what matters most to Melson when he conducts his self evaluation after a game.

“Everybody here and there … might have a bad shooting game, but defense has to be consistent,” Melson said. “Defense has to travel wherever you play.”
        Some nights just aren’t for the books. Silas Melson knew that Saturday, when the Gonzaga Bulldogs shut down BYU 68-60.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bballbeachbum
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2008

great quote from Lloyd and Silas
          have watched the last couple minutes a few times now. espn does do the watchespn thing pretty well, if literally nothing else anymore
          would have been a tough collar to wear forever, 0-4, but more, BYU's swagger in the Kennel again. very happy that didn't happen

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

It was defense that got GU to the title game last year. They are a far cry from the rim protection of the freshman that went pro, and I think that is the biggest difference (defensively) from last season. It effects every defensive position on the court. The "on ball" defenders can play differently.

I'm happy that the coaching staff has experienced first hand how far defense can take you.

I have zero problem with Melson's game. He came up big in the post season last year on the defensive end.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              He took good shots, aside from maybe one I can think of, but they just weren't falling (he wasn't the only one). I'm glad he didn't let that effect him on the defensive end. That game was way closer than it should have been, but it seems like that's how it's been the past several games.
              Lesser teams just get better over the course of the season. Talent differential plays a much bigger role in early season. Coaching takes on a bigger influence in the late season. There is ample video to research and the opposing coaching staffs are able to put together increasingly better game plans.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                Lesser teams just get better over the course of the season. Talent differential plays a much bigger role in early season. Coaching takes on a bigger influence in the late season. There is ample video to research and the opposing coaching staffs are able to put together increasingly better game plans.
                Off topic, but to your point, I hope the staff puts together a less vanilla offensive and defensive game plan against SMC the next time around. I keep telling myself that they played fairly straight up because they were at home (with the associated advantages) and in control for most of the game until the offense sputtered.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                  It was defense that got GU to the title game last year. They are a far cry from the rim protection of the freshman that went pro, and I think that is the biggest difference (defensively) from last season. It effects every defensive position on the court. The "on ball" defenders can play differently.

I'm happy that the coaching staff has experienced first hand how far defense can take you.

I have zero problem with Melson's game. He came up big in the post season last year on the defensive end.
                  hey Mick, good to see you and I agree, would only add Shem too as key ingredient to that rim protection recipe

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                    hey Mick, good to see you and I agree, would only add Shem too as key ingredient to that rim protection recipe
                    Shem far more than Collins. Imo
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                      Off topic, but to your point, I hope the staff puts together a less vanilla offensive and defensive game plan against SMC the next time around. I keep telling myself that they played fairly straight up because they were at home (with the associated advantages) and in control for most of the game until the offense sputtered.
                      on that straight up M2M Zags played vs. SMC, it worked for a while seemed to me; I wonder if Rui can give any valuable minutes denying Landale in the high/low post to spell JIII and not get hung out on the screen/roll D? seems like SMC wants to force you into doubling/rotating/scrambling/helping Ds, open up lanes for passing/dribbling/cutting and get their passing game going, open looks from 3, etc.
                      Landale is the matchup you must decide on, right?
                      much like Karno unlocked so many doors for all because he could force a team to choose to either double and help so Zags got you scrambling and see above description of that, or don't double and Karno would operate 1v1 and hurt you

but maybe some things at certain times or situations? late maybe to get the ball off Landale, come with a player to help leaving another player Zags want it to go to in that situation? Something like Pineau last year with JIII helping/rotating from the corner on the screen/roll? there's other options too, zone or pressure for example, but SMC passes it well, but maybe the right timing on it and situation? and as others have suggested, make Jock have to defend and go after him in different ways, put him in different D situations

we'll see how all the things Mick is saying play out! I have stopped thinking that maybe Jacob is going to play a part in it whether it's injury or whatever. not ripping the coaches or Jacob, just captain obvious that Jacob gets no run

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                        Shem far more than Collins. Imo
                        me too hoop, and what a 1-2 punch!

Comment

Working...
                        X