PDA

View Full Version : 1st team WCC if voted on now. Who is in?

IowaSERE
02-02-2018, 12:57 PM
If the 1st team all WCC was selected today, would any Zags make the 1st team? I think Rui would make it based on his early games but he's been dropping as of late.

ZagsObserver
02-02-2018, 01:18 PM
If GU wins the conference, yes. If not, then no current player has the credentials at this point in the season. Those with shots depending on how things play out: Perkins and Williams. Maybe Tillie, though it would be tougher for him as a sophomore.

Bogozags
02-02-2018, 01:22 PM
I think Melson will be All-WCC with JIII. Either Zach or Rui or both would be on the All-Rookie team.

IowaSERE
02-02-2018, 01:23 PM
I think Melson will be All-WCC with JIII. Either Zach or Rui or both would be on the All-Rookie team.

Rui isn't a rookie

Bogozags
02-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Rui isn't a rookie

How right you are...THANKS!

RenoZag
02-02-2018, 02:02 PM
If taken now: JWIII with best odds to make the ten man first team. Melson & Perkins would split votes and neither might make the 5 man second team

Norvell would be in running for Newcomer of the Year.

Would Silas be in the running for WCC Defensive POY ?

To see a recap of the awards the WCC presents at the end of the regular season, please see this thread from 2016-2017 Season: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59507-WCC-Awards&highlight=Awards

jazzdelmar
02-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Only shot is JW, unless Zags bust out rest of way. Landale, Naar, Hermanson are in.

Nevada Don
02-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Only shot is JW, unless Zags bust out rest of way. Landale, Naar, Hermanson are in.

Agree. I do think JW is 1st team.

katman50
02-02-2018, 04:31 PM
JW is the only one who comes close, IMO.

bdmiller7
02-02-2018, 04:40 PM
There are 10 players on the 1st team so I would expect at least a couple from Gonzaga because it's hard to come up with 10 better in the conference.

23dpg
02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
There are 10 players on the 1st team so I would expect at least a couple from Gonzaga because it's hard to come up with 10 better in the conference.

This. What are some of you talking abut? Zags with at least 2 players. JW3 and ?

zag944
02-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Perkins is 11th in scoring and 4th in assists on the current number 2 team in the conference. I’d be surprised if he and JWIII aren’t in

northsidezagfan
02-02-2018, 06:48 PM

+1

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-03-2018, 05:21 AM
I can’t think of ten really good players in the league at this point.

SMC’s Landale and Naar are locks. Hermanson is close.

BYU’s Childs is there. Bryant is Top Ten. I’m not sure about Haws.

For Gonzaga, Williams seems to be the only lock.

For the rest of the league, I can’t think of a player that is truly better than Melson, Norvell, Tillie, Perkins, or Hachimura. One or two of those players will make the list. It will probably be whichever player emerges during the last month of conference play.

BULLDOG#1
02-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I think Rui has to be there. He's our #1 scorer in conference, made some game saving plays (SF), and was our best performer against SMC. Plus he's great from the line and above average on the boards.

WallaWallaZag
02-03-2018, 09:10 AM
I think Rui has to be there. He's our #1 scorer in conference, made some game saving plays (SF), and was our best performer against SMC. Plus he's great from the line and above average on the boards.

rui actually needs to get better on the boards considering the physical advantages he has against most guys guarding him...he gets blocked out much too easily

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Bump. If you voted after tonight’s games, who is in?

SunDevilGolfZag
02-17-2018, 06:19 PM
J3. How could he not make it? He's the MVP of the best team in the league

Bogozags
02-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Bump. If you voted after tonight’s games, who is in?

JIII & Rui

Zach Rookie

Silas Defensive POY

katman50
02-17-2018, 06:22 PM
J3

Hoopaholic
02-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Perkins and j3

jazzdelmar
02-18-2018, 02:53 AM
Only J3. The Pep freshman could push Zach. He’s had a terrific year. Rui has slipped recently. Second team could see 4 Zags.

bdmiller7
02-18-2018, 05:15 AM
If williams is the only zag who are the other 9 first teamers in conference?

OntZags
02-18-2018, 07:08 AM
Only J3. The Pep freshman could push Zach. Heís had a terrific year. Rui has slipped recently. Second team could see 4 Zags.

First team has 10 guys though. I find it hard to think that the probable conference winner will only have 1 rep. However, the balance of the team makes it difficult to decide. I suspect Perkins will get the nod and could see another rep from any of Rui, Tillie, Melson or Norvell. (in that order of likelihood, with some getting 2nd team honours)

First Team
Landale, Naar - SMC
Childs, Bryant - BYU
JW3, Perkins - GU
Feagin - SC
Pineiro - USD

After that it gets hazy. Hermannson could slip to 2nd team with a bit of down year and there are number of candidates from weaker schools but I think the committee usually rewards team success too.

Landale is a lock for POTY. I think Smith from USD is going to get coach. I'd lean Pineiro for newcomer of the year. My gut says Melson will get the defensive nod.

Norvell should get on the freshman team. I think there is a few too many good frehsman for Kispert to sneak on there too though.

kitzbuel
02-18-2018, 09:11 AM
First team has 10 guys though. I find it hard to think that the probable conference winner will only have 1 rep. However, the balance of the team makes it difficult to decide. I suspect Perkins will get the nod and could see another rep from any of Rui, Tillie, Melson or Norvell. (in that order of likelihood, with some getting 2nd team honours)

First Team
Landale, Naar - SMC
Childs, Bryant - BYU
JW3, Perkins - GU
Feagin - SC
Pineiro - USD

After that it gets hazy. Hermannson could slip to 2nd team with a bit of down year and there are number of candidates from weaker schools but I think the committee usually rewards team success too.

Landale is a lock for POTY. I think Smith from USD is going to get coach. I'd lean Pineiro for newcomer of the year. My gut says Melson will get the defensive nod.

Norvell should get on the freshman team. I think there is a few too many good frehsman for Kispert to sneak on there too though.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Batemon from LMU slip in there.

zaguarxj
02-19-2018, 04:39 AM
In the WCC, the Defensive POY is always the POY runner-up, not the best defensive player. As much as I'd like to see Melson get it, it's not going to happen.

bdmiller7
02-19-2018, 06:45 AM
The Zags who have won DPOY are Nilson, Spink, Knight, Sacre, Hart, Bell, and McClellan. Who in that list was POY runner-up?

cjm720
02-19-2018, 06:54 AM
JW for sure. Maybe Perks, Rui or even Tillie

WallaWallaZag
02-19-2018, 06:55 AM
The Zags who have won DPOY are Nilson, Spink, Knight, Sacre, Hart, Bell, and McClellan. Who in that list was POY runner-up?

agree...zaguar seems to have a faulty preconceived notion about wcc dpoy...but you could argue sacre was poy runner-up.

OntZags
02-19-2018, 07:15 AM
In the WCC, the Defensive POY is always the POY runner-up, not the best defensive player. As much as I'd like to see Melson get it, it's not going to happen.

Rahon got it last year and you'll have hard time convincing me he was POY runner-up over Landale & Karnowski.

Maybe that has been the case in the past but not so sure anymore.

Gut says Melson. I could see JW3 getting it too.

Mantua
02-19-2018, 11:32 AM

The WCC likes to spread the wealth so I donít know if St. Maryís will get to have three guys on the first team.

TexasZagFan
02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
The WCC likes to spread the wealth so I don’t know if St. Mary’s will get to have three guys on the first team.

First team consists of ten players, so I expect to see those 3 from SMC.

I'm expecting to see Josh & J3 on the first team. How can you leave off the PG of the title winning team?

Hoopaholic
02-19-2018, 01:56 PM
First team consists of ten players, so I expect to see those 3 from SMC.

I'm expecting to see Josh & J3 on the first team. How can you leave off the PG of the title winning team?

How could a second place team get more players than the top team in league?

TexasZagFan
02-19-2018, 06:37 PM
How could a second place team get more players than the top team in league?

Because the rest of the conference really, really hates us? For me, the vibe started when SMC was voted 9-1 to win the conference in the preseason coaches poll. On top of that, we have 6 players averaging 10+ ppg, so we won't have any statistical standouts.

RenoZag
02-19-2018, 07:08 PM
I'll revise my "vote" to; JWIII, Rui on the first team.

Josh and Zach N on 2nd team ( if the Zags win out ); Zach N could be: All Frosh Team, Newcomer of the Year, and 2nd Team All-WCC.

Melson DPOY, though I wouldn't be shocked if Okonkwo or Childs received the nod. Melson could end up "Honorable Mention". . .

Kyle Smith, Damon Stoudamire, or Lamont Smith will earn COY honors though one could argue that Few deserves it for doing as well as he has with the departures of Zach, Nigel, Karno, Matthews. and Rem. . .

We should find out 2/27. ( Last year's announcements were Tuesday of conference tourney week )

WCC Stats are here: http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/confldrs.html#conf.wki

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2018, 06:37 AM
San Diego has some good players. Wright and Carter are gamers. One if them might make the list. Pineiro is definitely in that Top 10.

RenoZag
02-25-2018, 08:40 AM
bump

Gonzdb8
02-25-2018, 09:06 AM
J3, Perkins, Rui - 1st team
zach - 2nd team
silas - dpoy
zach - roy

VinnyZag
02-25-2018, 11:17 AM
J3
Perk
Landale (POY)
Naar
Childs
Bryant
Ferrari
Pineiro
And two other dudes.

COY: Stoudamire
Newcomer: Pineiro

CdAZagFan
02-25-2018, 11:34 AM
J3 and Perkins...

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-25-2018, 12:42 PM
J3
Perk
Landale (POY)
Naar
Childs
Bryant
Ferrari
Pineiro
And two other dudes.

COY: Stoudamire
Newcomer: Pineiro

That looks about right. The “two other dudes” could be Rui, Hermanson, Tillie, Melson, Wright, Carter, or two other dudes from the bottom teams in the league.

VinnyZag
02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
That looks about right. The “two other dudes” could be Rui, Hermanson, Tillie, Melson, Wright, Carter, or two other dudes from the bottom teams in the league.

Yeah, I was assuming it would be filled out by token reps from the bottom teams. But you're right, it could well be third or fourth guys from the good teams.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Tillie or Melson being picked for their defensive contributions.

gonstu
02-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Am I too much of a homer to think that Few should get COY? Lose 4 starters (I know, Collins came off bench but you know what I mean) from F4 team and still win conference and ranked top 6 in nation?

I think Few should get it. That's more impressive than SD or UoP going .500 in league.