PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Dean Asks Students to not dress as Mormon missionaries with BYU coming to tow

TexasZagFan
02-02-2018, 12:15 AM
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/1/30/16952730/gonzaga-dean-asks-students-to-not-dress-as-mormon-missionaries-with-byu-coming-to-town-jesse-wade

San Diego State students popularized the practice of dressing up as LDS missionaries when BYU came to town, and some Gonzaga students have taken the baton and continued the tradition.

With LDS Returned Missionary Jesse Wade (Davis High School alumnus; Kaysville, Utah) now on Gonzaga’s roster, however, an assistant dean at the University of Gonzaga has urged students to avoid dressing up as missionaries.

According to a story published by gonzagabulletin.com, Colleen Vanderboom, assistant dean of Student Involvement and Leadership, has worked with Gonzaga’s student section to end the practice of students dressing as missionaries.

Perhaps the KC should concentrate on upping the volume instead of cheap stunts. No need to add fuel to the fire. You know the Cougars are going to atone for their performance tonight.

ETA: Link to Bulletin article: https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_def92928-05eb-11e8-aa50-3b73aab673dc.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Zags11
02-02-2018, 12:21 AM
https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/1/30/16952730/gonzaga-dean-asks-students-to-not-dress-as-mormon-missionaries-with-byu-coming-to-town-jesse-wade

Perhaps the KC should concentrate on upping the volume instead of cheap stunts. No need to add fuel to the fire. You know the Cougars are going to atone for their performance tonight.

ETA: Link to Bulletin article: https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_def92928-05eb-11e8-aa50-3b73aab673dc.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

They will be snap chatting and dabbing while game plays.

jazzdelmar
02-02-2018, 02:30 AM
They have to be ASKED?

TravelinZag
02-02-2018, 02:33 AM
Kennel used to possess energy, imagination and class. Not so much of any lately.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-02-2018, 06:30 AM
I guess I've never understood why people did this.

I'm not even thinking of how it could be offensive or off-putting to LDS folk including Wade - I just don't see the point.

Coach Crazy
02-02-2018, 06:55 AM
I guess I've never understood why people did this.

I'm not even thinking of how it could be offensive or off-putting to LDS folk including Wade - I just don't see the point.

Unless there are signs that are derogatory, it really shouldn't matter. I'm LDS and I actually think students dressing up like missionaries gives more pub and normalizes the idea of the LDS religion to some degree. That is a special calling in our Church, and it is something we want to see respected, but I don't get offended. Dressing like us and acting like us for a night? You're just one step closer to where we want you ;)

Now, if it's some "BoM musical" crap, that's where I get irked.

webspinnre
02-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Good for the dean to just come out and say it.

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2018, 08:02 AM
I just assumed they put bike helmets on the kids that seemed super drunk, so they wouldn't hurt themselves.

Speaking of, the KC needs to on bull blasters or something. It's dead.

vandalzag
02-02-2018, 08:11 AM
They have to be ASKED?

Agreed, especially with Wade deciding to join the family should have made it a non-starter. But such is life dealing with 18-22 year olds.

kitzbuel
02-02-2018, 09:41 AM
So what happens if some real Mormon missionaries show up? How funny would that be to see them grilling a couple of missionaries over why they are dressed the way the are?

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Maybe they can be more subtle about it? Put a bike rack in the visitor's locker room?

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Unless there are signs that are derogatory, it really shouldn't matter. I'm LDS and I actually think students dressing up like missionaries gives more pub and normalizes the idea of the LDS religion to some degree. That is a special calling in our Church, and it is something we want to see respected, but I don't get offended. Dressing like us and acting like us for a night? You're just one step closer to where we want you ;)

Now, if it's some "BoM musical" crap, that's where I get irked.

I never saw the musical and think it would be too crass for my liking. I appreciate when critiques of my religion are sympathetic and respectful. I’m guessing that the closet thing to the BOfM musical would be watching Bill Maher’s Religulous, which was more just poking fun and preaching to the anti-theist choir, so to speak.

sittingon50
02-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Maybe they can be more subtle about it? Put a bike rack in the visitor's locker room?

I d*** near choked on my tuna sandwich!!

Yeah; subtle.

:roll:

(that being said, I'm in the camp of coming up with something more original)

Saxon_zag
02-02-2018, 10:38 AM
So what happens if some real Mormon missionaries show up? How funny would that be to see them grilling a couple of missionaries over why they are dressed the way the are?

When I think of intimidating hard-asses, I think of 19-22 year old Mormon missionaries. I hope they come and lay down the law! Maybe I'll tell some of the guys at the stake center near me about the KC's evil plans. The heathens!

Honestly I think it's kind of comical and hope the tradition is continued. I see tons of people dressed as that for halloween nowadays.

kitzbuel
02-02-2018, 10:40 AM

Ok, that's actually funny.

Saxon_zag
02-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Stock it with a fridge full of Mountain Dew

Coach Crazy
02-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Stock it with a fridge full of Mountain Dew

Heathen. Them's fake Mormon's that be drinking that devil's elixir!

Bogozags
02-02-2018, 11:06 AM
I d*** near choked on my tuna sandwich!!

Yeah; subtle.

:roll:

(that being said, I'm in the camp of coming up with something more original)

Starting your "meatless" Fridays kinda early? Nothing wrong with practicing before the real thing! lol

CDC84
02-02-2018, 11:15 AM
It would nice, in the process, if they could advise the BYU student (and adult) sections on how to behave properly both at the Marriott Center and at the WCC tourney in Vegas. I have heard a lot of horror stories.