PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Basketball

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Just wondering if anyone would like to talk about the game tonight.

zag67
02-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I would love to see a solid offensive and defensive game.
I want to see Kispert have a minimum of 3 3s.
Rui attacking all over the court.
Melson having a super defensive game
at least 18 assists and 42 rebounds
Oh, also a win.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 11:45 AM
I'll start. Perkins and Norvell will have to hunt their shots from deep and make sure they are quality looks. USD has been very effective in shutting down the opposition from three. I believe they are #1 or #2 in the nation in three point defense. Tillie will be a key on the boards. His size should allow him to be effective on both ends on the glass. If his motor is running tonight, he should easily be a 20/10 guy tonight.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 11:51 AM
I would love to see a solid offensive and defensive game.
I want to see Kispert have a minimum of 3 3s.
Rui attacking all over the court.
Melson having a super defensive game
at least 18 assists and 42 rebounds
Oh, also a win.

I'm rooting for Kispert. I think he should start his offensive performance tonight with a couple drives to the hoop. Against Florida, he had two magnificent drives to the hoop. Really, NBA quality. It opened up his outside shooting because they had to respect his first step. The same type of drives were displayed last game, but it was after he missed several threes. I would prefer a couple makes at the rim and then unload from three a couple times.

GoZags
02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
I'm rooting for Kispert. I think he should start his offensive performance tonight with a couple drives to the hoop. Against Florida, he had two magnificent drives to the hoop. Really, NBA quality. It opened up his outside shooting because they had to respect his first step. The same type of drives were displayed last game, but it was after he missed several threes. I would prefer a couple makes at the rim and then unload from three a couple times.

Ditto on your thoughts.

Let's hope Corey gets it going like we know (and he knows) he can.

Kiddwell
02-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Kiddwell clearly is expecting a win, but looking long-term and focusing especially on our league, this fan wants San Diego to be a "tough out." USF was supposed to be an upper-half team this year then suffered some injuries & a redshirt. But they played us tough twice (losing by 10, 9). USD had a great early season, and I'm hoping they play like crazy tonight then improve and improve over the next few years.

In this "tough stretch" toward the WCC Tourney I want the competition to challenge us on the level of SMC & BYU. We need multiple challenges to survive/advance into the NCAA Dance. Hopefully USD provides one now and again when we venture down there.

:]

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Kiddwell clearly is expecting a win, but looking long-term and focusing especially on our league, this fan wants San Diego to be a "tough out." USF was supposed to be an upper-half team this year then suffered some injuries & a redshirt. But they played us tough twice (losing by 10, 9). USD had a great early season, and I'm hoping they play like crazy tonight then improve and improve over the next few years.

In this "tough stretch" toward the WCC Tourney I want the competition to challenge us on the level of SMC & BYU. We need multiple challenges to survive/advance into the NCAA Dance. Hopefully USD provides one now and again when we venture down there.

:]

Curious to me, the Zags are favored by 17.5 tonight. I don't know if it will be that easy.

I think the WCC is improving. It's a slow process, but I fully expect with the coaching changes the last couple of years that more talent will arrive and more fundamental basketball will be played. The USF game at their place was a preview. McCarthy had those kids playing their butts off and they actually had a plan. The talent level isn't quite there, but it isn't as far off as people make it out to be.

Tonight, we will see a concerted effort on defense from the opposition. That's why I think the game will be closer than Vegas anticipates. If I were to put money on it (DUMB IDEA...These are 18-22 y/o kids that are unpredictable) I would say USD covers and I wouldn't put it past them to be within ten at the end.

vandalzag
02-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Curious to me, the Zags are favored by 17.5 tonight. I don't know if it will be that easy.

I think the WCC is improving. It's a slow process, but I fully expect with the coaching changes the last couple of years that more talent will arrive and more fundamental basketball will be played. The USF game at their place was a preview. McCarthy had those kids playing their butts off and they actually had a plan. The talent level isn't quite there, but it isn't as far off as people make it out to be.

Tonight, we will see a concerted effort on defense from the opposition. That's why I think the game will be closer than Vegas anticipates. If I were to put money on it (DUMB IDEA...These are 18-22 y/o kids that are unpredictable) I would say USD covers and I wouldn't put it past them to be within ten at the end.

I am with you on the points nothing really tough to know where to put that line with this team. Zags could blow them our or win by 7.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 01:01 PM
I wonder if running a couple plays specifically for Tillie at the start of each game would get him engaged early. Seems like the last couple of games he has been into it and dominated at times. Maybe the coaching staff can give him a jump start tonight. I'm of the opinion that Tillie is the most talented player on the team and has NBA potential. Rui may have more upside, but right now Tillie could be the key to March success for the Zags.

sittingon50
02-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone would like to talk about the game tonight.

Who's playin'?

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Who's playin'?

I've got a driveway game scheduled with the grandsons tonight. The over/under is "Will Grandpa survive"

jazzdelmar
02-01-2018, 01:20 PM
I've got a driveway game scheduled with the grandsons tonight. The over/under is "Will Grandpa survive"

I got one of those Saturday, Marky Mark. Ibuprofen.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 01:28 PM
I got one of those Saturday, Marky Mark. Ibuprofen.

Yeah. I was thinking more along the lines of Vicodin.

Just kidding. I try to stay away from pills as much as possible. You're on target though. Hot bath and Ibuprofen is the likely outcome.

jazzdelmar
02-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Yeah. I was thinking more along the lines of Vicodin.

Just kidding. I try to stay away from pills as much as possible. You're on target though. Hot bath and Ibuprofen is the likely outcome.

That, and let them win convincingly.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 01:42 PM
That, and let them win convincingly.

Nope. No can do. Yep, I'm one of those. I'll be using my old man hip checks, elbow nudges, jersey tugs, etc. They will have to earn it. Haha.

Pump fakes are incredibly effective on the younger set.