PDA

View Full Version : Please, Respect Thy Thread

MontanaCoyote
02-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Last night I punched out about a 250 word comment on the Withers who are the Zag's this year thread only to find that the thread had been shut down. Really wanted to see the post and responses to it.

I'm assuming the tread got zapped because of negative and personal comments that were
taking it over. It was a damned good and insightful thread until it got testy and personal and it could have continued in that spirit had it not been for those combative/personal comments.

We've been through this before but this is, IMHO, a near perfect example of a good, solid and thoughtful thread gone bad, especially because the topic is so central to how well the Zag's
can do the rest of the way given the challenges they face on 3 point D, penetration and rim protection.

George Carlin once admonished whites trying to dance and sing the blues like blacks by saying "STOP THAT!"

Some of our posters need to do just that and keep their comments within the standards befitting
Guboards. We have a good thing going. Let's keep it that way.

MDABE80
02-01-2018, 08:10 AM
I agree . One of the people in charge closed it after the same person went on the attack over banning. Sad to see the thread was closed as well. We might argue a bit here but if things are kept to basketball and some people lose the snark, we should be fine.

jazzdelmar
02-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Coyote, why not post here in virginal (thus far) territory?

former1dog
02-01-2018, 08:23 AM
I agree . One of the people in charge closed it after the same person went on the attack over banning. Sad to see the thread was closed as well. We might argue a bit here but if things are kept to basketball and some people lose the snark, we should be fine.

I'm sorry to say this Abe, but in my opinion you are mostly responsible for ruining this board for me. I know several who share my opinion. I wish you would revert back to the old Abe of 2 or 3 years ago who didn't think it was ok to call folks names and throw out only slightly veiled personal threats. Like my friend LIZF, I am also considering giving up my 20+ year GUBoards habit because of the constant negativity and personal stuff that infects a lot of the threads.

Its very, very sad because everything in the real world surrounding Gonzaga, Gonzaga Basketball and of course my beloved Gonzaga Cross Country and Track is very, very positive but you wouldn't know it by visiting this board.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry to say this Abe, but in my opinion you are mostly responsible for ruining this board for me. I know several who share my opinion. I wish you would revert back to the old Abe of 2 or 3 years ago who didn't think it was ok to call folks names and throw out only slightly veiled personal threats. Like my friend LIZF, I am also considering giving up my 20+ year GUBoards habit because of the constant negativity and personal stuff that infects a lot of the threads.

Its very, very sad because everything in the real world surrounding Gonzaga, Gonzaga Basketball and of course my beloved Gonzaga Cross Country and Track is very, very positive but you wouldn't know it by visiting this board.

I love you former, but your last sentence is a real headscratcher. Not to mention the fact this is a hoops board, and pray tell, why would Cross Country and Track be discussed on a hoops board.

Lastly, much of the negativity IMO is driven by younger fans who have only experienced Zag basketball for the last 20 years. I don't agree with everything Abe or anyone else says for that matter. It's just that I grew up in an era where "sticks and stones broke bones, but names will never hurt me." I've mellowed a bit, but not that much.

former1dog
02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
I love you former, but your last sentence is a real headscratcher. Not to mention the fact this is a hoops board, and pray tell, why would Cross Country and Track be discussed on a hoops board.

My apology Tex, I didn't mean to be vague. My intention was to say that everything about Gonzaga is very positive for me personally. As you might recall, I was not only in ROTC at Gonzaga, but I was also a member of the Cross Country and Track teams. I have reconnected in a strong and positive way with that team over the last 4 years thanks to the incredible Pat Tyson, the head coach. So, everything regarding my relationship with Gonzaga is more golden than its ever been and then I visit the MBB and its just tarnishes it.

Lastly, much of the negativity IMO is driven by younger fans who have only experienced Zag basketball for the last 20 years. I don't agree with everything Abe or anyone else says for that matter. It's just that I grew up in an era where "sticks and stones broke bones, but names will never hurt me." I've mellowed a bit, but not that much.

I don't disagree with this. I just think Abe is a powerful influence and he used to use that influence online in a good way, now he doesn't. For what its worth, I've heard that offline, that the "real Abe" is a tremendous and generous person which is why his online behavior baffles me.

God Bless old friend.

Zags11
02-01-2018, 09:18 AM
My apology Tex, I didn't mean to be vague. My intention was to say that everything about Gonzaga is very positive for me personally. As you might recall, I was not only in ROTC at Gonzaga, but I was also a member of the Cross Country and Track teams. I have reconnected in a strong and positive way with that team over the last 4 years thanks to the incredible Pat Tyson, the head coach. So, everything regarding my relationship with Gonzaga is more golden than its ever been and then I visit the MBB and its just tarnishes it.

I don't disagree with this. I just think Abe is a powerful influence and he used to use that influence online in a good way, now he doesn't. For what its worth, I've heard that offline, that the "real Abe" is a tremendous and generous person which is why his online behavior baffles me.

God Bless old friend.

Maybe offline Abe is a robot?

;).

Seriously tho I'm talking in general the board has become the personal attack if I don't agree with you board.

I was at fault doing this about 6-7 years ago. Sometimes I want to now but I pause now. It's probably cuz I'm in my 30s now and try to bite my tongue.

Sadly, this is why we have lost some of the old members. I know personally a couple who left for this reason and it wasn't as fun. That's why I had that thread "where did all the members go."

That thread got locked up. Actually this year a lot of threads have been Locked up.

former1dog
02-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Former, my apologies but when you're attacked on a basketball board for things that are only opinions, you respond. Go read what happened last night. AND you've not seen the nonsense pms I've gotten. If we just stick to basketball and forget the old Crosby grudges, things should go well.
But to the point, go back and see if I've attacked anyone. You'll soon see there is nothing. I respond to the snark because I don't like it. You would too. When a team goes for no 1 to 309 un 3 to defense, I made the case that it's got to be due to more than just one big (Karno) in the key. Following that, other things were brought into the conversation ( ie banning) that were SO out of place, the thread had to be stopped. But know that it was not ME who turned the thread into a messy disaster.
Be respectful and stick to basketball and we won't have nasty detours.

I appreciate your apology and the thought you put into your response.

I disagree with your assessment of the situation. I wish I could convince you that it is your online behavior that needs to be altered, but I don't think I'll be successful in my attempts. I wish you the best.

I should say that LIZF has been a very valued member of this community and a leader. Not only was he a valuable contributor to the board but an invaluable contributor who lent his professional time and experience to this board for a decade on the IT side of things. As you'll likely recall, LIZF and I also didn't see eye to eye on the OCC but that didn't prevent us from being friends away from that board and I know those issues didn't influence his opinion of your online behavior outside of the OCC. Why do I know that? Because he said so and he is an honorable and honest person.

As for me, I'm leaning more strongly towards leaving GUBoards.

God Bless

GoZags
02-01-2018, 10:11 AM
As for me, I'm leaning more strongly towards leaving GUBoards.

God Bless

Me, too.

titopoet
02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
I think of the great Cherokee tale and think what wolf I should feed:

An old Cherokee Master is teaching a warrior about life. “A war going on inside all of us,” he said to the warrior.

“It is a terrible war and it is between two wolves. One wolf embodies anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other wolf incarnates joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, faith and most of all self-control.”

The warrior thought about it for a minute and then asked his Master, “Which wolf will win?”

Cherokee Master smiled and shook his head and replied, “The one you feed.”

Feed the wolf of your better nature and you will walk the right path.

Zags11
02-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Me, too.

What is happening here? All the people I know are leaving.

Zags11
02-01-2018, 10:35 AM
The personal attacks must stop. If you disagree, you disagree. We are losing the old heads who posted here because of this.

It sucks.

sittingon50
02-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Please don't go, guys.

It's just a matter of employing the ignore button & then training yourselves to skip over those knuckleheads when they are being quoted by someone else.

There is much that can be learned here; just have to wade thru' some stuff to get there at times.

More positive than negative.

Zags11
02-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Please don't go, guys.

It's just a matter of employing the ignore button & then training yourselves to skip over those knuckleheads when they are being quoted by someone else.

There is much that can be learned here; just have to wade thru' some stuff to get there at times.

More positive than negative.

I agree to a point. However you can't have a normal discussion on here anymore. This is why some old heads left and some are planning on leaving. You used to be able to disagree and agree to disagree. Now everything is one starred and thread gets locked.

You can't have a hoops discussion (even if you have ppl on ignore which I don't) if it constantly gets locked. Why is that? People are name calling and such so it leads to that.

If people here on GU board want to keep this site alive it's time to all grow up and have civil discussions even if you disagree. This year has been terrible in the name calling and locked threads and one star bs.

Samiam
02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
I am reminded of a different ancient tale. Something about a goose and some golden eggs. I donít remember how it goes.

GoZags
02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
What is happening here? All the people I know are leaving.

leaning more strongly towards leaving GUBoards

"Considering" is a word more in line with my thinking than "leaning more strongly" ... and I didn't intend for my post to sound like a "Farewell Cruel World I'm Leaving the Board" post. That being said, I'm pretty much disgusted with the tenor around here.

There's so much positive about the Zags (and being a Zag/Zag fan) that it's beyond belief.

This year's Zags are 19-4 and ranked in the Top 15 in the nation. In a rebuilding year.

I'm enjoying their journey. Just not enjoying some aspects of this board.

Folks that have been banned should take a look inwards ... perhaps do some self reflecting. Folks get banned for a reason, and there should be a lesson in it. In some cases there is. In others, there isn't. And that's too bad.

jazzdelmar
02-01-2018, 12:48 PM
IMO, this board would be eviscerated if GZ, 1 Dog and Long Island, among others, were to leave. Yes, mea culpa, I’ve contributed my share to the negativity here. But now I’m asking, in all seriousness and concern, what would it take to ensure that this board stays whole? Some kind of moratorium on criticism, a special daily thread for those who wish to engage in such, a request for a voluntary pledge to pull back on sharp words, at least until the season is over? Thoughts, please. Whatever is decided, I’m in.

23dpg
02-01-2018, 01:06 PM
I've always tried to use the standard on this board that I was talking to someone face to face. That is especially true of the other posters. This might lead to some heated discussions over players and basketball knowledge but it would not dissolve into calling someone an idiot.
Similar with players. Never make it personal. I posted last year after the season a detailed critiquing of Josh Perkins game as I saw it. It was not personal and fwiw, it has changed. At the time, I received no negative feedback.

Markburn1
02-01-2018, 01:07 PM
IMO, this board would be eviscerated if GZ, 1 Dog and Long Island, among others, were to leave. Yes, mea culpa, I’ve contributed my share to the negativity here. But now I’m asking, in all seriousness and concern, what would it take to ensure that this board stays whole? Some kind of moratorium on criticism, a special daily thread for those who wish to engage in such, a request for a voluntary pledge to pull back on sharp words, at least until the season is over? Thoughts, please. Whatever is decided, I’m in.

I think if everybody just agreed with me, we'd all be fine.

Seriously, just stick to basketball and if you can't come to an agreement in a couple of posts, agree to disagree and move on. It's not that hard.

ZagsGoZags
02-01-2018, 01:10 PM
I hope the aforementioned people stay in here.
I have seen more than once visitors from other colleges BB boards say we have a relatively classy message board, and usually driven by topics and disagreements, rather than personal matters or whether "I like" somebody or don't.
Remember when we might have lost Jazz a few years ago. So glad he and others have stayed with the community.

Nevada Don
02-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Please don't go, guys.

The ignore button works !! As evidence, I'VE HAD MYSELF ON IGNORE FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS.

From an outsider here, please all take some deep breaths and revisit them in a few days. I'd hate to see the long time posters here leave. So many of them/you have been supportive of an Old Gael hanging around this place as evidenced by your PM's.

U Zig, I Zag
02-01-2018, 01:37 PM
They say money doesn't bring you happiness. I think the same can be said for FF's and NC games. Last year, as we approached the pinnacle things seemed to get worse and worse on here. This year it seems that threads go right into the toilet, real fast.

Nothing has to be positive all the time, but it seems like there is less basketball discussion and 'fan' posts and more arguing. At times this place could even be funny (having some fun with Samhan, etc). Not a lot of fan art, highlight reels of dunks, etc. Heck, I think Francis even quit.

Not sure what could even be done about it.

RE Tonights game, I agree with the other posters and have said it myself in the past, I think the 'poor' shooters need to be nudged into confidence with designed plays to get them to the rim either off the dribble or backdoor cuts, etc. Kispert going 0-5 from deep then hitting 1-2 free throws isn't going to cut it. Same with Perkins, Silas and Zach. USD puts pressure on the shooters at the perimeter - let the big boys clear the lane and drive right in. On D, our hands drop a lot. They were up for the entirety of the games last year, we need more of that.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Would it help if I was put in timeout when I hijack a thread?

Methinks there’s lingering bad feelings from the OCC, and some just can’t let go.

We should all read and review our words before hitting “post”. Just a thought.

As to those at loggerheads with Abe, I offer two potential solutions:
1. Put him on ignore.
2. Meet him for lunch at Jack & Dan’s. My grandson, aka Big D, thought he was great! Lol

007Zag
02-01-2018, 01:53 PM
But now I’m asking, in all seriousness and concern, what would it take to ensure that this board stays whole?

More of this:

RE Tonights game, I agree with the other posters and have said it myself in the past, I think the 'poor' shooters need to be nudged into confidence with designed plays to get them to the rim either off the dribble or backdoor cuts, etc. Kispert going 0-5 from deep then hitting 1-2 free throws isn't going to cut it. Same with Perkins, Silas and Zach. USD puts pressure on the shooters at the perimeter - let the big boys clear the lane and drive right in. On D, our hands drop a lot. They were up for the entirety of the games last year, we need more of that.

Less of the "an idiot could understand it - even you" line of "argument".

No new protocol or system is going to make this board awesome. Posters just have to listen to their better angels, and pause a second before hitting post.

cggonzaga
02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
I could personally care less about the name calling and disagreements between board members. It is what it is and we know many wouldn’t have the guts to say some things we say to each other here in person.

What I don’t like is the badgering of the young men we tune into every week to watch. The constant consistent criticisms. Make your point and move on. We don’t need to hear it over and over and over again. I’m not saying we can’t criticize a player or coach but it doesn’t need to be so repetitive.

former1dog
02-01-2018, 02:23 PM
But now Iím asking, in all seriousness and concern, what would it take to ensure that this board stays whole?

Civility is pretty hard to describe, but we all know it and appreciate it when we see it.

Hope you're well.

Zags11
02-01-2018, 03:55 PM
I don't want anyone to leave. Just we gotta not make every thread locked.....unless

Did I miss a over/under on threads locked for grand prize money?

maynard g krebs
02-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Thinking about leaving again too, though only temporarily if the problem is solved.

There's one person who IS the problem, and that person is too vain and arrogant (or maybe just insecure) to take an honest look at himself. And we ALL know who it is, without his handle being cited. That fact in itself says it all.

Ban one person permanently, and problem solved. This place isn't fun at the moment.

Reborn
02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Go Zags!!! Zags are up at the half by 9. I think we should try to remember that this board is about support the Zags. First and foremost we are just fans of a team we love. Fans come in many shapes and forms. We ARE NOT alike. It's not meant to be. If some people can't tolerate diversity than maybe you might think about just ignoring those fans you don't like. I believe that's what's happening anyway. My mom taught me not to quit. A long time ago. So I'm not quitting. I don't expect everyone to like me. For what it's worth. I REALLY LIKE JAZZ. And believe he contributes and has contributed a lot to this board. I do believe if he's forced to leave that I'll be leaving too.

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
02-01-2018, 06:01 PM
I'm sure maynard is talking about me. I won't apologize, even If I've been ignored by more fans here than anyone. I've tried to do my best. See you all later, and good luck. As you know I have gradually been losing interest myself. Maybe someone will start a new board.

Go Zags!!!

Ps Maybe Bob Zag will even come back more now....

I think most people respect you on here. I’d be willing to bet $$ that he wasn’t talking about you.

jazzdelmar
02-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Go Zags!!! Zags are up at the half by 9. I think we should try to remember that this board is about support the Zags. First and foremost we are just fans of a team we love. Fans come in many shapes and forms. We ARE NOT alike. It's not meant to be. If some people can't tolerate diversity than maybe you might think about just ignoring those fans you don't like. I believe that's what's happening anyway. My mom taught me not to quit. A long time ago. So I'm not quitting. I don't expect everyone to like me. For what it's worth. I REALLY LIKE JAZZ. And believe he contributes and has contributed a lot to this board. I do believe if he's forced to leave that I'll be leaving too.

Go Zags!!!

I’m not going anywhere, Bornie. And the feeling is mutual. And May wasn’t referencing you.

Ezag
02-01-2018, 07:03 PM
I am not leaving, I am not rating threads, I am not going to put anyone on ignore.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Not you, Reborn. Not in the least. I tried to send you a pm but your box is full.

I had to rack my brain to even remember why you'd think so. Think I figured it out, but I have no negative feelings toward you at all.

I'll try that pm again if you make space. I might not have explained myself well enough on the issue you wanted me to apologize for; not gonna dredge it up again, but nothing I said a couple months ago was directed at you, or a group you are part of in general.

Peace.

Stache
02-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Its not fun when every post is “de-constructed.” There seems to be a quest by some to pull apart everyone’s comment instead of just accepting it. What some call being a “realist” is just perceived by the vast majority as unrelenting negativity. Every expression and observation doesn’t have to be challenged. Just read posts and put in your 2 cents.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Thinking about leaving again too, though only temporarily if the problem is solved.

There's one person who IS the problem, and that person is too vain and arrogant (or maybe just insecure) to take an honest look at himself. And we ALL know who it is, without his handle being cited. That fact in itself says it all.

Ban one person permanently, and problem solved. This place isn't fun at the moment.

Sorry maynard, the problem wouldn't be solved IMO. There is plenty of arrogance to go around on this board, and I've never been a fan of mob rule.

Zagceo
02-01-2018, 10:26 PM
The dog days of conference play have bored us into “Lord of the flies” behavior.....or maybe just me

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 10:29 PM
The dog days of conference play have bored us into “Lord of the flies” behavior.....or maybe just me

I'm getting more of a "sackcloth and ashes" vibe...not surprising, considering Lent begins in less than two weeks. Of course, the wailing and gnashing of teeth should dissipate with a victory over SMC.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Sorry maynard, the problem wouldn't be solved IMO. There is plenty of arrogance to go around on this board, and I've never been a fan of mob rule.

As Patrick Swayze said in the redneck classic movie Road House, "opinions vary".

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 10:38 PM
As Patrick Swayze said in the redneck classic movie Road House, "opinions vary".

I never saw the movie, so I'll have to take your word for it. lol

sittingon50
02-01-2018, 10:56 PM
I never saw the movie, so I'll have to take your word for it. lol

And you'll survive just fine if you never do.

Homer Simpson has made it a running joke over the years, so you know it's a "classic."

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 10:58 PM
And you'll survive just fine if you never do.

Homer Simpson has made it a running joke over the years, so you know it's a "classic."

I never got into the Simpsons, either. lol

Birddog
02-02-2018, 03:38 AM
I never got into the Simpsons, either. lol

Doh!, that explains a lot. It's only the best reality TV show ever!

Zagger
02-02-2018, 03:56 AM
Go Zags! :)

Reborn
02-02-2018, 05:52 AM
I’m not going anywhere, Bornie. And the feeling is mutual. And May wasn’t referencing you.

Glad to hear that. You're tough. Did you play any street ball back there?
Thanks 23dpg.

Reborn
02-02-2018, 05:57 AM
Not you, Reborn. Not in the least. I tried to send you a pm but your box is full.

I had to rack my brain to even remember why you'd think so. Think I figured it out, but I have no negative feelings toward you at all.

I'll try that pm again if you make space. I might not have explained myself well enough on the issue you wanted me to apologize for; not gonna dredge it up again, but nothing I said a couple months ago was directed at you, or a group you are part of in general.

Peace.

Thanks Maynard. I get paranoid because I know that more than a few fans here have me on ignor. I hope you remain here also because you are one guy whose very respected. Let's try to keep this forum going,

Go Zags!!!

Zagcity
02-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Go Zags! :)

In a nutshell :)

Nevada Don
02-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Doh!, that explains a lot. It's only the best reality TV show ever!

Now I think that was funny fake sarcasm !! :clap: Valley Girl Talk too, right?

Nevada Don
02-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Now, can you all get back to the important postings/comments/thoughts ?? Such as:

1) will RB ever schedule a team similar in quality to GU, outside of the conference ?
2) should they change the official name of McKeon Pavilion to The McKeon Gym ?
3) will Randy ever leave the State of California for a non-conference game ?

Okay, discuss. :cheers:

Have a nice, peaceful, relaxing weekend, GUBoard. This is a place worth spending some time.

sittingon50
02-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Now, can you all get back to the important postings/comments/thoughts ?? Such as:

1) will RB ever schedule a team similar in quality to GU, outside of the conference ?

Have a nice, peaceful, relaxing weekend, GUBoard. This is a place worth spending some time.

Why are you ALWAYS over here stirring things up, Don?

;)

GrizZAG
02-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Its not fun when every post is “de-constructed.” There seems to be a quest by some to pull apart everyone’s comment instead of just accepting it. What some call being a “realist” is just perceived by the vast majority as unrelenting negativity. Every expression and observation doesn’t have to be challenged. Just read posts and put in your 2 cents.

Thank you. Well said

TexasZagFan
02-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Positively not.
Es macht nichts.
Fair to middling.

Have a great day, Don!

zagdad
02-02-2018, 09:16 AM
I am on the GU board quite often. I don't understand the people that just want to quit coming to the board. We read some interesting things on the board and learn about new players and recruits. I enjoy the radio recap on the board and what the coaches have to say about that. We are not always going to agree with each other, but when someone has a comment I don't agree with I can just scroll down to the next comment. I am not going to be a quitter on this board. I will keep reading comments, respecting each person's right to give their opinion, and most of all to SUPPORT MY ZAGS!

Fonebone
02-02-2018, 03:24 PM

This is an interesting point.

For some people, on this board, and in life, any idea that is put out is subject to analysis. Its just an idea, an opinion, and ideas are meant to be deconstructed and analyzed. I tend to be like that, and I've found that it can upset/hurt people (again, talking life in general here, not the board.) For me, if someone expresses a feeling, like they are angry or hurt, then I have no business trying to tell them why that feeling is wrong. But if its an idea, well, ideas for me are meant to be considered and even challenged. But for some people, if one challenges their ideas, they take it personally, like its about them, whereas for people like me its not about them personally, its just an idea.

Still, I think that part of being a compassionate human is to realize that if someone gets upset by their ideas being challenged, then I try to avoid it, unless it is necessary or important to do so. In the context of a message board, avoiding challenging statements doesn't make a lot of sense, because the exchange and debating of ideas and opinions is a big part of what the the board is about. But, its important, I think, to do it in a way that shows respect for the person's opinion - because for some people, their ideas and opinions basically the same as them. (Criticize my idea and you criticize me.) That may sound too politically correct for some people, but it doesn't help to hold the board together to say that "people are too sensitive" if they leave or stop posting.