• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MontanaCoyote
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2015

Please, Respect Thy Thread

Last night I punched out about a 250 word comment on the Withers who are the Zag's this year thread only to find that the thread had been shut down. Really wanted to see the post and responses to it.

I'm assuming the tread got zapped because of negative and personal comments that were
    taking it over. It was a damned good and insightful thread until it got testy and personal and it could have continued in that spirit had it not been for those combative/personal comments.

We've been through this before but this is, IMHO, a near perfect example of a good, solid and thoughtful thread gone bad, especially because the topic is so central to how well the Zag's
    can do the rest of the way given the challenges they face on 3 point D, penetration and rim protection.

George Carlin once admonished whites trying to dance and sing the blues like blacks by saying "STOP THAT!"

Some of our posters need to do just that and keep their comments within the standards befitting
    Guboards. We have a good thing going. Let's keep it that way.
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I agree . One of the people in charge closed it after the same person went on the attack over banning. Sad to see the thread was closed as well. We might argue a bit here but if things are kept to basketball and some people lose the snark, we should be fine.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Coyote, why not post here in virginal (thus far) territory?

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
        I agree . One of the people in charge closed it after the same person went on the attack over banning. Sad to see the thread was closed as well. We might argue a bit here but if things are kept to basketball and some people lose the snark, we should be fine.
        I'm sorry to say this Abe, but in my opinion you are mostly responsible for ruining this board for me. I know several who share my opinion. I wish you would revert back to the old Abe of 2 or 3 years ago who didn't think it was ok to call folks names and throw out only slightly veiled personal threats. Like my friend LIZF, I am also considering giving up my 20+ year GUBoards habit because of the constant negativity and personal stuff that infects a lot of the threads.

Its very, very sad because everything in the real world surrounding Gonzaga, Gonzaga Basketball and of course my beloved Gonzaga Cross Country and Track is very, very positive but you wouldn't know it by visiting this board.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
          I'm sorry to say this Abe, but in my opinion you are mostly responsible for ruining this board for me. I know several who share my opinion. I wish you would revert back to the old Abe of 2 or 3 years ago who didn't think it was ok to call folks names and throw out only slightly veiled personal threats. Like my friend LIZF, I am also considering giving up my 20+ year GUBoards habit because of the constant negativity and personal stuff that infects a lot of the threads.

Its very, very sad because everything in the real world surrounding Gonzaga, Gonzaga Basketball and of course my beloved Gonzaga Cross Country and Track is very, very positive but you wouldn't know it by visiting this board.
          I love you former, but your last sentence is a real headscratcher. Not to mention the fact this is a hoops board, and pray tell, why would Cross Country and Track be discussed on a hoops board.

Lastly, much of the negativity IMO is driven by younger fans who have only experienced Zag basketball for the last 20 years. I don't agree with everything Abe or anyone else says for that matter. It's just that I grew up in an era where "sticks and stones broke bones, but names will never hurt me." I've mellowed a bit, but not that much.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            I love you former, but your last sentence is a real headscratcher. Not to mention the fact this is a hoops board, and pray tell, why would Cross Country and Track be discussed on a hoops board.
            My apology Tex, I didn't mean to be vague. My intention was to say that everything about Gonzaga is very positive for me personally. As you might recall, I was not only in ROTC at Gonzaga, but I was also a member of the Cross Country and Track teams. I have reconnected in a strong and positive way with that team over the last 4 years thanks to the incredible Pat Tyson, the head coach. So, everything regarding my relationship with Gonzaga is more golden than its ever been and then I visit the MBB and its just tarnishes it.

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            Lastly, much of the negativity IMO is driven by younger fans who have only experienced Zag basketball for the last 20 years. I don't agree with everything Abe or anyone else says for that matter. It's just that I grew up in an era where "sticks and stones broke bones, but names will never hurt me." I've mellowed a bit, but not that much.
            I don't disagree with this. I just think Abe is a powerful influence and he used to use that influence online in a good way, now he doesn't. For what its worth, I've heard that offline, that the "real Abe" is a tremendous and generous person which is why his online behavior baffles me.

God Bless old friend.

Comment

• Zags11
              Banned
              • Mar 2008

My apology Tex, I didn't mean to be vague. My intention was to say that everything about Gonzaga is very positive for me personally. As you might recall, I was not only in ROTC at Gonzaga, but I was also a member of the Cross Country and Track teams. I have reconnected in a strong and positive way with that team over the last 4 years thanks to the incredible Pat Tyson, the head coach. So, everything regarding my relationship with Gonzaga is more golden than its ever been and then I visit the MBB and its just tarnishes it.

I don't disagree with this. I just think Abe is a powerful influence and he used to use that influence online in a good way, now he doesn't. For what its worth, I've heard that offline, that the "real Abe" is a tremendous and generous person which is why his online behavior baffles me.

God Bless old friend.
              Maybe offline Abe is a robot?

Seriously tho I'm talking in general the board has become the personal attack if I don't agree with you board.

I was at fault doing this about 6-7 years ago. Sometimes I want to now but I pause now. It's probably cuz I'm in my 30s now and try to bite my tongue.

Sadly, this is why we have lost some of the old members. I know personally a couple who left for this reason and it wasn't as fun. That's why I had that thread "where did all the members go."

That thread got locked up. Actually this year a lot of threads have been Locked up.

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80
                Former, my apologies but when you're attacked on a basketball board for things that are only opinions, you respond. Go read what happened last night. AND you've not seen the nonsense pms I've gotten. If we just stick to basketball and forget the old Crosby grudges, things should go well.
                But to the point, go back and see if I've attacked anyone. You'll soon see there is nothing. I respond to the snark because I don't like it. You would too. When a team goes for no 1 to 309 un 3 to defense, I made the case that it's got to be due to more than just one big (Karno) in the key. Following that, other things were brought into the conversation ( ie banning) that were SO out of place, the thread had to be stopped. But know that it was not ME who turned the thread into a messy disaster.
                Be respectful and stick to basketball and we won't have nasty detours.
                I appreciate your apology and the thought you put into your response.

I disagree with your assessment of the situation. I wish I could convince you that it is your online behavior that needs to be altered, but I don't think I'll be successful in my attempts. I wish you the best.

I should say that LIZF has been a very valued member of this community and a leader. Not only was he a valuable contributor to the board but an invaluable contributor who lent his professional time and experience to this board for a decade on the IT side of things. As you'll likely recall, LIZF and I also didn't see eye to eye on the OCC but that didn't prevent us from being friends away from that board and I know those issues didn't influence his opinion of your online behavior outside of the OCC. Why do I know that? Because he said so and he is an honorable and honest person.

As for me, I'm leaning more strongly towards leaving GUBoards.

God Bless

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

As for me, I'm leaning more strongly towards leaving GUBoards.

God Bless
                  Me, too.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• titopoet
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2008

I think of the great Cherokee tale and think what wolf I should feed:

An old Cherokee Master is teaching a warrior about life. “A war going on inside all of us,” he said to the warrior.

“It is a terrible war and it is between two wolves. One wolf embodies anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other wolf incarnates joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, faith and most of all self-control.”

The warrior thought about it for a minute and then asked his Master, “Which wolf will win?”

Cherokee Master smiled and shook his head and replied, “The one you feed.”

Feed the wolf of your better nature and you will walk the right path.
                    ----
                    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• Zags11
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                      Me, too.
                      What is happening here? All the people I know are leaving.

Comment

• Zags11
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

The personal attacks must stop. If you disagree, you disagree. We are losing the old heads who posted here because of this.

It sucks.

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Please don't go, guys.

It's just a matter of employing the ignore button & then training yourselves to skip over those knuckleheads when they are being quoted by someone else.

There is much that can be learned here; just have to wade thru' some stuff to get there at times.

More positive than negative.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            Please don't go, guys.

It's just a matter of employing the ignore button & then training yourselves to skip over those knuckleheads when they are being quoted by someone else.

There is much that can be learned here; just have to wade thru' some stuff to get there at times.

More positive than negative.
                            I agree to a point. However you can't have a normal discussion on here anymore. This is why some old heads left and some are planning on leaving. You used to be able to disagree and agree to disagree. Now everything is one starred and thread gets locked.

You can't have a hoops discussion (even if you have ppl on ignore which I don't) if it constantly gets locked. Why is that? People are name calling and such so it leads to that.

If people here on GU board want to keep this site alive it's time to all grow up and have civil discussions even if you disagree. This year has been terrible in the name calling and locked threads and one star bs.

Comment

• Samiam
                              Redshirt
                              • Apr 2017

I am reminded of a different ancient tale. Something about a goose and some golden eggs. I don’t remember how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X