PDA

View Full Version : other games 1/31/18

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:09 PM
Texas up 5 w/ about a minute left against #10 Texas Tech.

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:12 PM
Handful of top 25 action tonight.

#2 Virginia 74
Louisville 64

#3 Purdue 75
Maryland 67

#5 Michigan St. 76
Penn St. 68

#8 Cincinnati 80
Houston 70

Iowa St. 93
#15 West Virginia 77 ('Neers are in a bit of a slump lately)

#18 Tennessee 84
LSU 61

#9 Arizona 58
Wazzu 38 early 2nd half

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:13 PM
Texas 64
Texas Tech 63 49 seconds left

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Texas fouled w/ 3 seconds left, TT hit 1 of 2 FTs, game is going OT.

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:32 PM
Dang. Texas hit a 3 to tie it w/ 12 seconds left, but TT got a near buzzer beater. 73-71, Longhorns lose in OT.

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:34 PM
Cougies are getting destroyed 78-47 about halfway thru the 2nd half. 'Zona is doubling them up in rebounding. Looks like it's pretty much Ayton, Trier and Alkins doing all the damage, but that 3 headed monster is more than enough to run away from Wazzu.

edited--that trio is 24-27 from the field for 63 points. That's gonna win you a lot of games if your top 3 scorers shoot like that.

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Utah St. 89
New Mexico 80

sittingon50
01-31-2018, 09:28 PM
I know it was on the road, but a bad loss for Huggy Bear. Iowa St. just not very good this year.

As far as the Cougs, since they want $ I no longer read the WSU forum. Anyone know what Ernie's contract status is?

With their budget deficit can they afford to fire him? Is that something the new A.D. would take on?

Off topic for the scores thread, but would appreciate your opinion's.

MDABE80
01-31-2018, 09:34 PM
West Virginia's going the wrong way but tonight, they were shellacked. In the last month of the regular season this always happens to the P5 teams but it seem more so this year. If we can manage to keep winning, we'll get inside the Top 10.

seacatfan
01-31-2018, 10:44 PM
I've never been a fan of Huggy, either at Cincy or WVU. I don't buy into them being a particularly good team, last year or this year. They can force turnovers in bunches and get buckets in transition. Otherwise they are completely average. It's all based on something kinda gimmicky, and if the gimmick isn't working, they've got nothing.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 06:06 AM
Lot of travel for WVU being in the Big 12. Could be a contributing factor.

Zags would have as much, or more, travel if they left the WCC. Coaches have said the West Coast to East Coast travel is difficult to manage.

dhozagfan08
02-01-2018, 06:53 AM

Zags would have as much, or more, travel if they left the WCC. Coaches have said the West Coast to East Coast travel is difficult to manage.

Arguably their two most disappointing losses came at home(Kansas and Kentucky) after having huge leads. That's not a travel issue, imo.

willandi
02-01-2018, 08:08 AM

Teams would be playing most games at 4 PM east coast time. Flip side is the east coast teams would be playing at 10, or later, PST.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Teams would be playing most games at 4 PM east coast time. Flip side is the east coast teams would be playing at 10, or later, PST.

Very true, but I'm also concerned about the cumulative effect of several cross country trips, not too mention playing in a far more challenging conference.

OTOH, playing in a more prestigious conference should boost our recruiting profile.

seacatfan
02-01-2018, 01:14 PM
I know it was on the road, but a bad loss for Huggy Bear. Iowa St. just not very good this year.

As far as the Cougs, since they want $ I no longer read the WSU forum. Anyone know what Ernie's contract status is?

With their budget deficit can they afford to fire him? Is that something the new A.D. would take on?

Off topic for the scores thread, but would appreciate your opinion's.

They did just set a school single season record for made 3's, w/ quite a few more games left to pad that stat. So at least they have that going for them.

I didn't watch the game live, but caught a replay. The broadcasters (and oh my goodness, PJ Carlesimo's voice is painful to listen to; he knows hoops, but that's gotta be the scratchiest voice I've ever heard for a professional broadcaster...) kept talking about being patient and Ernie would get this thing turned around. I'm not convinced of that. WSU is not the easiest place to win, very few bball coaches have managed it in the last 30 years or so.

soccerdud
02-01-2018, 03:20 PM
(and oh my goodness, PJ Carlesimo's voice is painful to listen to; he knows hoops, but that's gotta be the scratchiest voice I've ever heard for a professional broadcaster...)

hasn't sounded quite the same since sprewell...