PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Bouldin

AnonyMoose
10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
As Bob Zag and others have rightfully stated, Bouldin did not shoot that well last night, but we need to keep in mind what his role was last night too. Even though Bouldin and Gray split time as point guard, Bouldin was the one who I saw dishing the most. He was part of the reason Kuso "looked so good." He gave nice assists faking the lay-in and going around the defense man to Kuso or any other big. Sure, Bouldin should have definitely made more shots, but I think he could be a stronger point guard than Pargo is/was. I see Pargo as an A.I., someone who can make their own shot, but isn't necessarily the best in set up offensive systems, however, Bouldin looks like that kind of player as he is a solid passer. What are your guy's thoughts?

El Voce
10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Matt Bouldin will be fine. If Matt Bouldin is even in the Top Five reasons for Zag fans to worry, then we have precious little to worry about.

Last night was a practice scrimmage. That''s all it was. Pretty similar to the closed door scrimmage they probably had the day before, and pretty similar to the scrimmage they probably had today.

No one should draw any conclusions about any player based on one practice. We will not really have any idea about how this team -- or individual players -- is shaking out until about after the WSU game.

Matt appears to be healthy. I'm pretty sure he was playing a majority of the past season with various hand and shoulder injuries.

zag67
10-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Like was said above, Matt will be fine. Last night, he was more of a point guard than a shooting guard. His job was to make others better and from what I have read, he did a very good job of that. There will be many days during a player's carrer, when a player's shot is not there. Those are the nights that you want the person winning the game in different ways. Those are passing, rebounding, defending, and help defense. Like was said above I do not think that will be anything to worry about as the season goes on. But I do hope that all of the players will recognize when there shot is not there and help win in other ways.

jazzdelmar
10-28-2007, 08:03 AM
BZ's comment are always thoroughly reasoned and based on evidence not emotion.....his comment abt M is troubling and I take it to heart......of course he cd be proven dead wrong (BZ wd be the first to wish that to happen) but M's gm was up and down last year and he never quite recovered back to his brilliant start when all of us saw visions of GU PGs past......as u knw, Im not a big Pgo fan, tho like BZ I too hope Im wrong.....so we are thin it appears at the point.....shld be a fun ride....one way of staying fully loaded at PG is for Pgo to stay away from dunking in an exhibition over a teammate on a chair....thats just plain silly...................

SunDevilGolfZag
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
A little early IMHO to call Bouldin (or anyone) out. As a side note, I was pretty impressed with Theo Davis during the scrimmage. In particular his rebounding position, passing and court awareness. He looked like he fit right into the flow of the game.

BobZag
10-28-2007, 09:16 AM
All good posts. Good, solid basketball discussion. I have little doubt Matt won't rise to the ocassion and fend off the newcomers who will be pushing him. If you look at his prep career, from frosh to senior he made a steady upwards progression in every statistical category-- 8ppg, 14ppg, 19ppg, 23ppg, give or take a few. As a fan, I just want him to be the best he can be. For one scrimmage last week, I didn't feel he was. That's all.

The team will scrimmage Portland State soon (closed gym), then in about 10 days from now they'll lace 'em up for D2 Emporia State. Those two "games" will help this team a bunch.

montanazag88
10-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Agree, BZ. Excellent discussion. I do believe Bouldin will show great improvement. My observations tell me he is truly a coach's player - a guy who will accept a role given to him. This type of mentality usually does not take over in a freshman year, rather develops during a sophomore and junior year into something special. What may be more of a challenge is that Matt is true team asset. If we all recall last year the struggles (even with Ravio) to get someone to run an offensive set as opposed to throwing up momentum killing 3's was more of a constant issue than a occasional downer. Matt is good clay for this coaching staff, if they use him that way. And for another thread...the big question in my mind has to do with the ability given to Grear's replacement (RG) to adopt a truly "high-pressure" defense. This it seems to me is the difference between advancing deep into the dance and winning a few "pre-season/zero defense" warm ups against a NC or Texas. GU has made recruiting advancements...will the coaching staff evolve as well? I hope and pray to St. Al, they will.

ZagMania
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Aren't all these concerns about Bouldin's shot apply to Pargo as well? The difference between Pargo and Bouldin's 3pt shooting percentage last year? 1%. I know that Pargo has improved a lot and this includes his outside shot, but Pargo had a pretty bad stroke his freshman year and while it improved his soph season, I would take Bouldin's shooting form over Pargo's myself and yet that didn't take away from Pargo's minutes last year or his effectiveness.

I guess I'm just saying that I believe Bouldin's shot is good enough where opposing teams would be crazy to purposefully give him free looks.

El Voce
10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
RE: Bouldin's alleged bad shooting: Mountain, meet Molehill.

ZagNative
10-28-2007, 12:41 PM
RE: Bouldin's alleged bad shooting: Mountain, meet Molehill.
:D - The Voice of Reason has indeed spoken.

Rubbadub
10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Pargo is more athletic, quicker, and a better slasher and finisher. Most importantly, his defensive presence trumps Bouldin's passing ability.

agreed.

zag67
10-28-2007, 12:58 PM
So according to previous posts, I heard that Matt had 6 assists and did some more rebounding. Therefore how did defense trump? I think that both Pargo and Matt need to be threats with taking the shot. But there will be certain days when the shot is not there. Those are the times that passing is important. If you look back at last year, that was missing at times.

Also Matt can do things like post up when the mismatch is in our favor. So to me Pargo's speed and Matt's height and passing are going to do great at complimenting each other. Also the post up is going to be one of the super pluses, because even after the ball goes in, he is smart enough and has the eyes to get it out to the person for the best shot. He also sees the open person on the break and sometimes even to a fault will pass up his own shot to get it to them.

bigblahla
10-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Ouch! this is gonna hurt, be kind board members I'm a Zag fan too. I just have a different take so here goes. I love MB's overall game but if we are talking about shooting my opinion is his shooting technique has some issues. Missing shots are something all players do but it's how you miss that that tells the story. If Matt was missing long or short but the ball was dropping on the basket from above that's to be expected because you can't make them all. Missing left or right or shooting short below the rim that's technique. As I've watched Matt to me it looks like he doesn't square up his shoulders to the basket and more times than not he has insufficient arc in his shot.

Go!! Zags!!!

BobZag
10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
more times than not he has insufficient arc in his shot.

It's a flat shot, a stark contrast to Micah's shot. Not many flat-arced shots drop in because they skitter across the rims; there is zero room for error, not even a chance for a friendly bounce.

kyle dixon
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
One of the things that I truly love about Matt Bouldin on the offensive end of the floor is his movement without the basketball. This has become a lost art in my opinon in college basketball. A perfect example was Matt's effort against UW when he dropped 21 on the Dawgs mostly with backdoor cuts, etc. for his layups.

dim4sum
10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Raivio had one of the flattest trajectories I have ever seen, almost like a horizontal yo-yo toss, especially on free throws. If Bouldin could shoot with that much reliability, so much the better. The troubling thing about Bouldin's shot is that he had an air ball tendency late in the game, when he tired, but the shots mattered more. If, as reported, he's lost that baby fat, then maybe under game circumstances there won't be as much fatigue in the second half, hence, better shooting. I hope he reads these posts so that he can be goaded into shooting better, given the low expectations that a lot of posters seem to have.

Fonebone
10-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Seems to me that BZ is NOT making any judgements based on one scrimmage. Perhaps I am not a good mind reader, but I think that my concerns watching the game may have been the same as BZ. All the good stuff everyone says about Matt are true - he is gifted in many ways. But last year he was very inconsistant from outside. It was a problem. Now we see one game - and again, he is not hitting very well. All BZ said was that he had better start hitting or he is going to be pushed. Seems pretty self evident to me that that is correct. If he does start hitting, he should be pretty safe. I hope he does. I love him, but..........

tyra
10-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Seems to me that the team will be limited in some ways if neither its PG (JP) nor the SG/3 (MB) are consistent outside threats and that is the concern about Matt despite the fact that he brings so very much to the table in other ways and despite the fact that there are plenty of other scoring threats. But count me as one who will be surprised if Matt is not a big part of this team's success this year.

Fantastic7
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Kyle Dixon....Spot on....was at that game...frosh(Matt B) vs. frosh(Quincy Pondexter)...Matt took him to task without the ball....it was flat out beautiful.

cggonzaga
10-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Agreed about Matt's form. To me it looks like he's blocking his own shot with his left hand almost in front of the ball instead of on the side. Again, I'm not one to worry about Matt losing any playing time because of this however. He has the best overall game on the team and he contributes in so many other ways. He's the smartest player on the team and he will knock his shot down enough to keep teams honest. I dare teams to give him open looks. It doesn't take hitting 3-4 threes a game for someone to have to get up on you. It just takes the knowledge that he can hit the shot and there's not a coach in America that's going to leave him open or even have the defender back off enough to give him the shot. Also, we are a little too spoiled. The kid is a true sophomore. While players make big jumps in their games from freshman to sophomore, the biggest jumps come from their sophomore to junior years. Matt will be a huge contributor this year and a go to guy in Mr. Few's eyes.