PDA

View Full Version : Nine years ago today

Ekrub
01-29-2018, 12:14 PM
We got "lucky" when patty mills took a spill. He was lighting us up from deep in the first half. Great player.

Ekrub
01-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Box score and write up: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=290292250

MDABE80
01-29-2018, 12:28 PM
TAINT!!

CDC84
01-29-2018, 12:30 PM
I hated that season because everyone throughout the country just assumed that St. Mary's would have won that game. I beg to differ. There are such things as half time adjustments and playing in your own building.

I did feel bad for SMC because when Patty came back, he was a shadow of his former self. In fact, he probably shouldn't have even played in the WCC tourney because they were starting to establish an identity without him. Sometimes even bringing back a future pro to your roster that late in the season can be disruptive.

zagzilla
01-29-2018, 12:30 PM
I remember that game-they were ranked higher than GU at that point in the season. They went 0-3 vs GU in 08-09 and went the NIT quarters where they lost to SDSC. They had beaten SDSC in December

Ekrub
01-29-2018, 01:52 PM
I hated that season because everyone throughout the country just assumed that St. Mary's would have won that game. I beg to differ. There are such things as half time adjustments and playing in your own building.

I did feel bad for SMC because when Patty came back, he was a shadow of his former self. In fact, he probably shouldn't have even played in the WCC tourney because they were starting to establish an identity without him. Sometimes even bringing back a future pro to your roster that late in the season can be disruptive.

I believe the reason for bringing him back was to show the committee that he could play. I believe they even scheduled an extra game at the end of the season for this reason. Don't believe it worked for them though. Haven't seen that situation since.

jbslicer
01-29-2018, 01:57 PM
We got "lucky" when patty mills took a spill. He was lighting us up from deep in the first half. Great player.

I think he had six threes before Pargo took him out.

krozman
01-29-2018, 02:05 PM
I was literally 20 feet away from that. Last game I ever went to that was competitive really :-(.

gaels87
01-29-2018, 02:11 PM
I believe the reason for bringing him back was to show the committee that he could play. I believe they even scheduled an extra game at the end of the season for this reason. Don't believe it worked for them though. Haven't seen that situation since.

Yeah - I think we scheduled Eastern Washington late that year - and exactly what was written - to show that Mills was able to play. He looked OK in the first round game vs Portland in the tourney, but he struggled from outside - for the Champ game, he couldn't do anything and you guys rolled us. We still didn't get an at-large.

The positive spin.. that was the year we hosted Davidson in the NIT so we had Curry vs Mills (Patty was relatively healthy by then) and it was an epic battle - outside of some of our match-ups with you guys, it was the loudest I have ever heard McKeon Pavilion. Mills still couldn't shoot, but he was able to carry us to a win.

jazzdelmar
01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Yeah - I think we scheduled Eastern Washington late that year - and exactly what was written - to show that Mills was able to play. He looked OK in the first round game vs Portland in the tourney, but he struggled from outside - for the Champ game, he couldn't do anything and you guys rolled us. We still didn't get an at-large.

The positive spin.. that was the year we hosted Davidson in the NIT so we had Curry vs Mills (Patty was relatively healthy by then) and it was an epic battle - outside of some of our match-ups with you guys, it was the loudest I have ever heard McKeon Pavilion. Mills still couldn't shoot, but he was able to carry us to a win.

So Steph played as a collegian in the town he now owns as a pro? Cool anecdote.

sideshow06
01-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Little related trivia... both Splash Brothers (Curry & Thompson) played their last college game losing to the Gaels in McKeon in back to back years.

seacatfan
01-29-2018, 02:43 PM
Sometimes even bringing back a future pro to your roster that late in the season can be disruptive.

Yes, very much so. See Duke and Kyrie Irving, brought back from injury even later in the season. He was great, but Duke not so much.

gaels87
01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Little related trivia... both Splash Brothers (Curry & Thompson) played their last college game losing to the Gaels in McKeon in back to back years.

I'm pretty sure it was the same year sideshow - We shut Klay down the game before Davidson- he only had a hand-full of points against us. The following year, we went to the Sweet 16 - He was only a frosh or soph, though.

JPtheBeasta
01-29-2018, 09:17 PM

Wow. Good memory. I had totally forgotten about that.

Zaga
01-30-2018, 05:41 AM
I think he had six threes before Pargo took him out.

Didn't Pargo hook his jersey or something like that?