Ohio State dropped to #17
Florida dropped to #23

Creighton is in the "Others Receiving Votes" category at #30

gonzagafan62
01-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Thanks

MDABE80
01-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Thank you Former. 23 games down 8 more regular season games left.

Demetri Awesome
01-29-2018, 10:45 AM
It's time St. Mary's beefed up their OOC schedule too many lay ups...

Nevada Don
01-29-2018, 10:47 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2018/poll/2
USA/Coaches Poll, GU up 3 to #12. SMC up 4 to #14.

Coach Crazy
01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
If they win out, they're going Top 10, before the selection show. This is where JP shows who he's going to be in the tournament.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Not gonna happen. Bennett just inked a 10 year extension. Until the Dance rolls around, SMC will have played three games outside the state of California: Utah, Oregon, and Washington. Vegas will make four (plus).

jaydee77
01-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Not going to happen. Mens basketball is their only revenue sport. Income from mens basketball supports all other sports. They simply do not have the money to travel much in the pre season. They can not get return dates from major programs because the gate they receive won't cover travel cost. They will never be able to build a larger facility as access and resistance from the locals will make it impossible. If the Aussie pipeline dries up they will return to irrelevance. I'm not a fan of St Mary's at all but you have to acknowledge what they have accomplished with meager resources.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Not going to happen. Mens basketball is their only revenue sport. Income from mens basketball supports all other sports. They simply do not have the money to travel much in the pre season. They can not get return dates from major programs because the gate they receive won't cover travel cost. They will never be able to build a larger facility as access and resistance from the locals will make it impossible. If the Aussie pipeline dries up they will return to irrelevance. I'm not a fan of St Mary's at all but you have to acknowledge what they have accomplished with meager resources.

They have the money for travel, if they used a portion of the NCAA tournament money. Part of it's probably going to pay RB's salary.

jaydee77
01-29-2018, 11:48 AM
If you are interested in a higher mid major profile, you do not hire an athletic director from Stanislaus State.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2018, 11:56 AM
If you are interested in a higher mid major profile, you do not hire an athletic director from Stanislaus State.

I'd be careful with comments like that. Titus the Warrior may make an unannounced visit to your abode.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4090/5079653834_3dfe1741fa.jpg

FWIW, CSU Stanislaus has a student body over double of SMC.

sittingon50
01-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Yeah; maybe then they wouldn't suck so much!

:fingergun:

DixieZag
01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
I don't know which universe is real. The one described on the board in which we're going to lose 3 or 4 in the homestretch or the one where we are scratching at the top 10 along with SMC.

I know my inclination as to what is reality, but I am more than open to being proven wrong by sweeping up some wins in the home stretch. Jeeze, if we're valued like this and somehow win out, we'd be at comfy protected seed status in a free for all tournament.

OTOH, it doesn't feel possible right now.

gu03alum
01-29-2018, 01:28 PM
I don't know which universe is real. The one described on the board in which we're going to lose 3 or 4 in the homestretch or the one where we are scratching at the top 10 along with SMC.

I know my inclination as to what is reality, but I am more than open to being proven wrong by sweeping up some wins in the home stretch. Jeeze, if we're valued like this and somehow win out, we'd be at comfy protected seed status in a free for all tournament.

OTOH, it doesn't feel possible right now.

I agree. It's hard for me to believe that they will get a protected seed. Kenpom and BPI are both top 10 though.

sittingon50
01-29-2018, 01:31 PM
So clicking on the RPI link, the Zags come in at #65. This places them behind such notables as Buffalo, Loyola Chicago & East Tennessee St., among others.

?

gu03alum
01-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Gonzaga 8 in BPI (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi)
Gonzaga 7 in Kenpom (https://kenpom.com/)

GoZags
01-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Gonzaga 8 in BPI (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi)
Gonzaga 7 in Kenpom (https://kenpom.com/)

And up to 8 in Sagarin .... so Top 8 in all 3 of the other “official” ratings that will be used by the committee “officially” for the first time this season.
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

krozman
01-29-2018, 02:00 PM
56 in RPI. This is the season where dozens of programs will be vying for spots in a tournament they have no business asking for because it seems every unranked team has beaten a top 10 team. Gonzaga needs to wrap their conference up in a nice little bow to avoid all the craziness that selection sunday may bring.

LongIslandZagFan
01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Here is my quandy... Last season, you could look at KenPom/BPI/other stats and you could say "Yeah, that matches with what I see on the court". This season... for whatever reason, I look at the KenPom numbers and the "efficiency" numbers and it doesn't seem to square in my mind as much. This team is bi-polar in how it plays... most of the time very well, other times it looks horrible. Like they have Dave Kreig syndrome... all you old-time Seahawk fans know what I mean... when he was on, he was Montana-esque, when he was off he was the worst QB in football... you could get both versions in the same game... in the same drive... but I digress. Point being, when they show their weak side... you get losses like SDSU and SMC. Both those games could have been won. Heck, even Nova would have been a competitive game had they not continually shot themselves in the foot. I keep waiting for this team to settle into who they really are... still haven't seen it yet.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Here is my quandy... Last season, you could look at KenPom/BPI/other stats and you could say "Yeah, that matches with what I see on the court". This season... for whatever reason, I look at the KenPom numbers and the "efficiency" numbers and it doesn't seem to square in my mind as much. This team is bi-polar in how it plays... most of the time very well, other times it looks horrible. Like they have Dave Kreig syndrome... all you old-time Seahawk fans know what I mean... when he was on, he was Montana-esque, when he was off he was the worst QB in football... you could get both versions in the same game... in the same drive... but I digress. Point being, when they show their weak side... you get losses like SDSU and SMC. Both those games could have been won. Heck, even Nova would have been a competitive game had they not continually shot themselves in the foot. I keep waiting for this team to settle into who they really are... still haven't seen it yet.

I agree, I thought I (we) would have a better feel for the team at this point of the season. You can probably include the coaching staff in with us, too.

Keep the tempo at a high level, and play smarter on defense: better 3P defense. Up to Josh, Silas, and J3 to lead the way. Rui, Snacks, and Corey are complementary pieces. Hi-Lo offense needs to run through Killian, not J3.

And our overall defense would be helped by running the zone press 1/4 of the time, in addition to mixing it up between zone and man to man. Few needs to throw in a few wrinkles that haven't been seen on film.

jpn17
01-29-2018, 08:23 PM
So clicking on the RPI link, the Zags come in at #65. This places them behind such notables as Buffalo, Loyola Chicago & East Tennessee St., among others.

?

Shows how garbage the RPI is. Unfortunately this is the metric that the NCAA selection committee clings to.

jazzdelmar
01-30-2018, 05:19 AM
Shows how garbage the RPI is. Unfortunately this is the metric that the NCAA selection committee clings to.

One man's dross is another man's gloss.

thebigsmoove
01-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Joe Lunardi still has us at a 7 seed. But that could climb in the coming weeks if we continue to play well and stay in the top 10 in the 3 quality metrics. All we have to do is get a 5 seed to get to Boise either in the East or west bracket.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

DixieZag
01-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Joe Lunardi still has us at a 7 seed. But that could climb in the coming weeks if we continue to play well and stay in the top 10 in the 3 quality metrics. All we have to do is get a 5 seed to get to Boise either in the East or west bracket.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi's projection seems correct if he is factoring in a couple losses on the way in, which wouldn't be unreasonable, but I don't think he does that. So, as we sit right now, having some surprisingly good wins over Ohio State, Texas and Creighton scratching, and two of the best basketball games of the year in Florda and SMC, ranked 14 with all those top 10 metrics, we should be outraged if given a 7 seed today.

But, we do have to slay out dragon BYU here at home and there on the road, and we need beat SMC one of two times coming in, I'd just asume it be on the road at SMC. Damn we played awfully well against SMC for 32 minutes, we really did, and I think that's been almost totally forgotten.

Anyway, lose one or two more and I can see a 7 seed. But, as it stands today? A seven? That's actually pretty offensive.

Not that it's a big deal, and not that I don't think there's some validity to him putting us out as a top 25-30 team given our record.

I am not counting the USF game for much. I knew we were doomed for a tough one when one of the coaches said the days before the game that somehow "USF matches up with us and gives us fits" saying that seems to ensure that the players come in believing it. Though what do I know.

Hoopaholic
01-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Lunardi's projection seems correct if he is factoring in a couple losses on the way in, which wouldn't be unreasonable, but I don't think he does that. So, as we sit right now, having some surprisingly good wins over Ohio State, Texas and Creighton scratching, and two of the best basketball games of the year in Florda and SMC, ranked 14 with all those top 10 metrics, we should be outraged if given a 7 seed today.

But, we do have to slay out dragon BYU here at home and there on the road, and we need beat SMC one of two times coming in, I'd just asume it be on the road at SMC. Damn we played awfully well against SMC for 32 minutes, we really did, and I think that's been almost totally forgotten.

Anyway, lose one or two more and I can see a 7 seed. But, as it stands today? A seven? That's actually pretty offensive.

Not that it's a big deal, and not that I don't think there's some validity to him putting us out as a top 25-30 team given our record.

I am not counting the USF game for much. I knew we were doomed for a tough one when one of the coaches said the days before the game that somehow "USF matches up with us and gives us fits" saying that seems to ensure that the players come in believing it. Though what do I know.

thank you....and then you look at see NC at a 4 seed and look at their BAD losses and just think hmmmmmm