Awesome news! #zagup

Zagdawg
01-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Dominick Harris Retweeted

Jeff Berokoff

@BerokoffBall
6m6 minutes ago
More
I am proud to announce that Soph Dominick Harris of Pacifica Christian HS has just committed to play for Coach Mark Few at Gonzaga!

Incredibly proud of this young man and honored to be his coach

MDABE80
01-28-2018, 03:20 PM
http://www.dukeblogger.com/rising-stars-pg-dominick-harris-is-burning-up-the-west-coast/

He'll be good for us. We'll be good for this young man. Glad to have him. 2020....hope he hangs on. Still growing. Sounds like a shooting guard. Very young yet. We'll see but this is excellent news.

Goshzagit
01-28-2018, 03:28 PM
http://www.dukeblogger.com/rising-stars-pg-dominick-harris-is-burning-up-the-west-coast/

He'll be good for us. We'll be good for this young man. Glad to have him. 2020....hope he hangs on. Still growing. Sounds like a shooting guard. Very young yet. We'll see but this is excellent news.

Agreed.

The good news is the fact he has already unofficially visited Stanford, UCLA, SDSU, USC, UC-Riverside, & USD.

He is about to explode too.

More SG than PG, but a dynamic, gifted, natural scorer.

I think he ends Top-50, or higher, when all is said & done...

ZagNative
01-28-2018, 03:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUqsy2_V4AABN0o.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Wow! Huge news! This kid will be the highest rated recruit we've ever had.

cggonzaga
01-28-2018, 03:40 PM
This is fantastic news!!!!

ZagMan in Philly
01-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Welcome Dominick!!

Goshzagit
01-28-2018, 04:22 PM
If you have a Twitter accounts, show this kid some love, support, and our Zag nation excitement!

likes, retweets, comments, follows, etc mean something/everything to this generation.

HERE: https://twitter.com/DominickHarri2 (https://twitter.com/DominickHarri2)

Goshzagit
01-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Good timing as Georgetown and Cal both offered him a couple days ago...still, only a Sophomore...

Already 6'4", and has scored over 40 pts numerous times...

Very excited for him and for us.

Zagdawg
01-28-2018, 04:40 PM
“They prioritized him,” said Silver. “They sent their entire staff down to Southern California to see him. They did a really good job making him a priority and I think Dominick felt the love.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Dominick-Harris-Gonzaga-lands-commitment-from-talented-2020-CG-114340861/

katman50
01-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the Zags, young man.

sittingon50
01-28-2018, 04:59 PM
You will love the school, Dominick!

White lightning
01-28-2018, 05:28 PM
its a basketball message board

should we limit comments to food?:lmao:Maybe some should.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

CDC84
01-28-2018, 05:42 PM
I am the new El Voce on this one (think Kyle Dranginis and Nampa). Dominick Harris comes from where I grew up, so he's a hometown player for me. I lived in Costa Mesa, but went to HS in Newport Beach like Harris does. I went to the public school, he's going to the private one. Can't wait to see Dominick in a GU uniform, and like with Austin Daye (who grew up "close" to where I grew up), I am going to make every effort to go back home to check out young Mr. Harris (good excuse to visit friends as well) play in a high school game or two.

cggonzaga
01-28-2018, 05:46 PM
its a basketball message board

should we limit comments to food?:lmao:

Maybe we could give the kid a second before the criticisms. Also, “retooling his shot” comments only makes you look bad as his shot goes in at a high rate. Maybe know a little more about him before saying something just because his shot doesn’t “look right”.

Hoopaholic
01-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Sweeeeet...watched his multiple you tube promo videos and like what I see

Footwork sound
Great elevation on jump shot
High release point
Hands relaxed on release
Lands almost same spot

The chest swing will disappear as he gets stronger

Quick explosive first step.....

Nice get imo

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Why is Jazz conspicuously absent from this thread? Even he would have to post something optimistic, right? Right?

Hoopaholic
01-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Why is Jazz conspicuously absent from this thread? Even he would have to post something optimistic, right? Right?

Why bat the beehive?

Zagdawg
01-28-2018, 06:06 PM
I think jazz already posted feedback---"why are the coaches even wasting their time on him--we have no shot."

MDABE80
01-28-2018, 06:26 PM
Zagdawg from last Summer! That's when he said in August! But. we should welcome all of of our new faces like this! including Brock . Watson and Wade. All special in their own way.

Radbooks
01-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Good lord, people do have lives outside of this board. Not everyone checks every single post within minutes of posting.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Why bat the beehive?

Why on earth would there be a beehive?

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Good lord, people do have lives outside of this board. Not everyone checks every single post within minutes of posting.

Jazz does. I know because I do too. :)

Corky
01-28-2018, 06:44 PM
This is pleasing.

Fonebone
01-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but have not been able to get on the board as much as I would like. Was Dominick at the San Francisco game yesterday. Looked like some recruit was there with his family

TexasZagFan
01-28-2018, 06:55 PM
This is great news! OTOH, I need to know who's on the radar of the coaching staff between 2021 and 2027. 2028 is not a problem, as Big D's the first commit for that recruiting class.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but have not been able to get on the board as much as I would like. Was Dominick at the San Francisco game yesterday. Looked like some recruit was there with his family

Yes, I believe so

Zagdawg
01-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Yes--that was him and his family.

spike_jr
01-28-2018, 07:21 PM
Why on earth would there be a beehive?

No honey without a beehive :-)

JPtheBeasta
01-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Awesome news! Congrats, Mr. Harris. The future is bright.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Awesome news! Congrats, Mr. Harris. The future is bright.

Here's hoping our new Mr. Harris has as much success as our first Mr. Harris did!

JPtheBeasta
01-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Here's hoping our new Mr. Harris has as much success as our first Mr. Harris did!

Just to on the safe side, somebody should teach him some German.

LongIslandZagFan
01-28-2018, 08:02 PM
This is a good get. Scout has him at 45. From what is sounds like, that number may get even higher.

Donny was lead recruiter on this one. Bravo Mr. Daniels!

whatazag
01-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Welcome Dominick! The future is bright.

Zag_Dad
01-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Welcome Dom! Looking forward to seeing you in a Zag Jersey!

Zags_Fanatic
01-28-2018, 10:31 PM
I wonder if he will add a few inches of height and be labeled a SF by the time he reaches Spokane. He just turned 16 a few weeks ago and is already supposedly a legit 6'4". Welcome to the Gonzaga family, Dom! Can't wait to see you in a Zag uni!

Zagger
01-29-2018, 03:34 AM
Looks like the kid may have Zag hair too :)

Welcome aboard DOMINICK HARRIS!

TravelinZag
01-29-2018, 03:58 AM
Dominick Harris is an outstanding player with some intangibles GU coaches love: gym rat, coach’s son, makes his team mates look better, leadership and the ability to interview politely but giving nothing away. Congratulation to him, Donnie, and GU.

Help me understand the rules governing early commitments please.

Go Zags!

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2018, 05:48 AM
Dominick Harris is an outstanding player with some intangibles GU coaches love: gym rat, coach’s son, makes his team mates look better, leadership and the ability to interview politely but giving nothing away. Congratulation to him, Donnie, and GU.

Help me understand the rules governing early commitments please.

Go Zags!

Until he signs, which he cannot do until his senior year, he is free to visit other schools and be recruited by other schools. But he sounds pretty solid in his commitment.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-29-2018, 05:50 AM
Congrats Dominick and staff! Me thinks this verbal of someone all indicators are will develop into an elite PG will help Zags land an elite big from his same HS class

bigblahla
01-29-2018, 06:15 AM
Great get....the Zags now have their own solid DH.... South Melbourne College just saw their future become a little dimmer....while the sun shines on Gonzaga..

Welcome Dominick!!! :clap::000tens::clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

strikenowhere
01-29-2018, 07:04 AM
This is excellent news

hooter73
01-29-2018, 07:28 AM
South Melbourne College just saw their future become a little dimmer....

That is funny on a genius level right there.

SanDiegoZag
01-29-2018, 07:32 AM
I am the new El Voce on this one (think Kyle Dranginis and Nampa). Dominick Harris comes from where I grew up, so he's a hometown player for me. I lived in Costa Mesa, but went to HS in Newport Beach like Harris does. I went to the public school, he's going to the private one. Can't wait to see Dominick in a GU uniform, and like with Austin Daye (who grew up "close" to where I grew up), I am going to make every effort to go back home to check out young Mr. Harris (good excuse to visit friends as well) play in a high school game or two.

I have lived in east side Costa Mesa for five years now, and my daughters will go to Newport harbor HS. I will have to check Harris out sometime in the next couple of years.

zaguarxj
01-29-2018, 07:51 AM

My wife grew up not too far from the point and graduated from Newport Harbor High. What year did you graduate?

northsidezagfan
01-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Welcome Dominick! Great pick-up for the staff, he is going to be a good one!

scrooner
01-29-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm psyched on this kid. Huge numbers for a freshman/sophmore, appears to be strong & able to finish through contact, and he even rocks the short shorts.

CDC84
01-29-2018, 08:32 AM
My wife grew up not too far from the point and graduated from Newport Harbor High. What year did you graduate?

Ah.....my age and class shall remain a secret :) Let's just say it was awhile ago. Well before all the spiffy renovations that have been done to the school. What is the varsity baseball field (which used to be the JV field).....my Dad designed and built that baseball field himself. The infield and the whole works. They've spiffed it up more so that lefties no longer hit foul balls into the pool, potentially damaging the heads of the valuable water polo players.

I am sure your wife is very well aware of the intense rivalry between NHHS and Corona del Mar HS (the Sailors vs. the Sea Kings = The Battle of the Bay). Well, CDM managed to move the game to LeBard Stadium at Orange Coast College due to the humiliation of having to play on NHS' Davidson Field each season. There was a lot of momentum to start building a new football field at CDM, and then this happened:

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/09/26/corona-del-mar-high-cancels-homecoming-dance-after-arrests-reports-of-drunk-students/

Kiddwell
01-29-2018, 09:29 AM
This's great. Now Dominick can focus on school work & prep basketball, and not worry or fret about where he's going to college. A great scenario for him. Earn good grades, polish b'ball skills, relax about college, follow your Zags. (Meanwhile, The Zag Nation will be following & cheering for him.)

:000tens:

:]

NotoriousZ
01-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Until he signs, which he cannot do until his senior year, he is free to visit other schools and be recruited by other schools. But he sounds pretty solid in his commitment.

I thought if a kid gave a verbal commitment he could still check out other schools but they could not recruit him anymore. Is that at least partially true?

Regardless, WELCOME MR. HARRIS!!!

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2018, 10:30 AM
I thought if a kid gave a verbal commitment he could still check out other schools but they could not recruit him anymore. Is that at least partially true?

Regardless, WELCOME MR. HARRIS!!!

Nope, verbal means nothing contractually. Coaches can still recruit him, and many will. It's up to Dom and his dad to make sure other schools know that he's fully committed to GU and that they're wasting their time. In other words a curt "Thanks, but no thanks" should do the trick.

thebigsmoove
01-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Either way the onus is on us to maintain that relationship and keep DH as a priority in all of our other recruiting endeavors. This commitment is super exciting.

MDABE80
01-29-2018, 11:12 AM
With a kid like this, I'm only hopeful. No matter that we're a national program, the others who are also "head turners" aren't done yet. I remember a few years ago when Calipari rolled right into Romar's territory and snagged a kid who had signed with UW. it can happen.
This kid though will be a great 6 4-5 guard with hopes and is a great shooter. He's rare. He'll get looks. Donny needs to keep in touch on the phone and some visits. It's a long way till 2020.

cggonzaga
01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
With a kid like this, I'm only hopeful. No matter that we're a national program, the others who are also "head turners" aren't done yet. I remember a few years ago when Calipari rolled right into Romar's territory and snagged a kid who had signed with UW. it can happen.
This kid though will be a great 6 4-5 guard with hopes and is a great shooter. He's rare. He'll get looks. Donny needs to keep in touch on the phone and some visits. It's a long way till 2020.

I agree Abe. The big boys will come calling on this one.

raise the zag
01-29-2018, 11:50 AM
As long as he doesn't decide he wants to play Quarterback, I feel good about his early commitment...

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Nope, once they sign they're off limits (with few exceptions, i.e. coach was just fired, or family member died and player has to play closer to home), now a verbal commit is open game. And yes, routine visits showing constant "love" are part of the recruiting process even after the verbal.

maynard g krebs
01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Nope, once they sign they're off limits (with few exceptions, i.e. coach was just fired, or family member died and player has to play closer to home), now a verbal commit is open game. And yes, routine visits showing constant "love" are part of the recruiting process even after the verbal.

Think he's talking about Terrence Jones of Ptld Jefferson, who was considered all but committed to UW but was flipped by Calipari the night before signing day.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Think he's talking about Terrence Jones of Ptld Jefferson, who was considered all but committed to UW but was flipped by Calipari the night before signing day.

Yeah, I think you are correct. I was just pointing out that once a kid officially has signed a school can no longer recruit him. But there are very limited and specific exceptions where a school will let a player out of his signed commitment, but they are extremely rare.

Vanzagger
01-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Great job coaches!

23dpg
01-29-2018, 07:52 PM

As I remember the story, Jones was holding a press conference to announce his commitment to UW, and Calipari got a hold of him literarily moments beforehand and got him to flip.

Reborn
01-30-2018, 09:57 AM
WOW!!! Great news. I really like what I read about Harris. Welcome to a great program Dominick and your family. I'm very happy that you see this program the same way I do. You're in for a fantastic ride once you get here. Once you're a Zag you'll be a Zag for life. Gonzaga can not be beat in terms of the college lifestyle that is there. It's like a family. Good luck to you in the remainder of your high school career. Enjoy every game, work hard and I'll see you in a few years.

ZagNative
02-04-2018, 10:05 AM
From the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-sp-high-school-roundup-20180203-story.html)

Pacifica Christian Orange County 69, Saddleback Valley Christian 66

Sophomore guard Dominick Harris finished with 31 points in the San Joaquin League game, helping the host Tritons upset the No. 2-ranked team in the CIF Southern Section Division 3AA poll and keep their Division 5AA playoff hopes alive on Saturday.

Pacifica Christian (10-15 overall, 3-4 in league), No. 4 in Division 5AAA, handed Saddleback Valley Christian (20-5, 4-1) its first setback in league.

Josh Griffith had 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Tritons, and Primo Belfiore added 10 points.

Pacifica Christian is in a must-win situation on Monday, when it closes out league play at Orangewood Academy (15-9, 4-2) at 7 p.m. The Tritons need to win, and have Saddleback Valley Christian defeat Orangewood on Wednesday to force a tie for third place and the league's final guaranteed postseason berth.