PDA

View Full Version : Basketball recruiting vs Football recruiting

509er
01-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Iím sure most of you follow basketball recruiting a lot more than I do so answer me this question- in basketball it seems that once a kid commits all other schools back off and there is almost an unwritten rule to stay away from other schools players. In football, recruiting doesnít end until the LOI is in with a lot of kids regardless of commitment.

Iíve noticed there is a lot of angst with some posters regarding Brock Ravett (Iím a big fan myself and canít wait to see him play) and think if basketball recruiting was more like football those with angst would see the Power Conference schools coming after him in force.

seacatfan
01-28-2018, 02:33 PM
I think you are correct. Occasionally the unwritten rule in basketball of backing off of a recruit after a verbal commit is violated. That doesn't tend to make you popular among coaching peers I believe. Also sometimes you hear a rumor that the student athlete actively encouraged other coaches to keep trying to woo them, even though they gave a verbal commit.

Football recruiting is a cesspool, battlefield, pick your metaphor. Every year there are a number of recruits that are "flipped" approaching a signing period, or even on signing day, that were previously verbal commits elsewhere. It's almost as if those verbals don't mean anything.

MDABE80
01-28-2018, 02:49 PM
I’m sure most of you follow basketball recruiting a lot more than I do so answer me this question- in basketball it seems that once a kid commits all other schools back off and there is almost an unwritten rule to stay away from other schools players. In football, recruiting doesn’t end until the LOI is in with a lot of kids regardless of commitment.

I’ve noticed there is a lot of angst with some posters regarding Brock Ravett (I’m a big fan myself and can’t wait to see him play) and think if basketball recruiting was more like football those with angst would see the Power Conference schools coming after him in force.

As I hear often in my line of work "It ain't over yet". Brock keeps his 30 ppg game going along with 10-15 apg, other programs will find their way to the central part of Washington. Given the videos we've seen, I'd say it's inevitable. The culture is shifting rapidly.....

CDC84
01-28-2018, 05:51 PM
I know for a fact that even David Pendergraft was being recruited by ACC schools long after he announced his verbal to GU. It's in the "Bravehearts" book. You may recall that David committed to GU really early, and he was considered a back end top 100 guy. But that was a long ways back, and things are different now.

The combination of Gonzaga being a powerhouse program that can compete for national titles, plus them being a Pacific NW team with a coach that is widely respected throughout the coaching world, makes them far less susceptible to intruding coaches. It's way different than a Chicago player who commits to Bradley as a sophomore, and then blossoms into a top 50 player as a junior. There are SEC, Big 10, Big East, ACC and American schools all around him. I don't see many teams being interested in stealing away Brock Ravet from Gonzaga. It's not worth the travel expenses and effort. And it ain't going to happen anyway because GU, in his own words, is his "dream school."

The higher you are up on the food chain, the less likely you will have sharks.

Birddog
01-29-2018, 04:36 AM
I know for a fact that even David Pendergraft was being recruited by ACC schools long after he announced his verbal to GU. It's in the "Bravehearts" book. You may recall that David committed to GU really early, and he was considered a back end top 100 guy. But that was a long ways back, and things are different now.

I'm not sure those schools (Duke, UNC, UVA, Indiana etc) pursued David after his GU commitment, but I do remember the self righteous Kelvin Sampson of Oklahoma making a blatant run at him and the GU coaches were miffed. Well, maybe miffed isn't descriptive enough.