PDA

View Full Version : Weird Schedule

Spike94
01-28-2018, 07:09 AM
Why have we played USF and Portland twice and haven't played BYU or San Diego once?

Zag_Dad
01-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Makes no sense at all

ZagOD7540
01-28-2018, 07:57 AM
Why have we played USF and Portland twice and haven't played BYU or San Diego once?

Add Santa Clara in there too

Spike94
01-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Oh. I missed that. I can understand holding BYU back for TV, but having to low level schools on the schedule 4 times heading into March looks really bad.

Section 116
01-28-2018, 09:34 AM
See this link for WCC schedule reasoning: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/23/gonzaga-wcc-teams-deal-with-split-weeks-unconventi/

willandi
01-28-2018, 09:41 AM
"The calendar plays a key role in scheduling. The 18 games had to be compressed into a nine-week period last season and this season."

So the nine weeks somehow are different from other years 9 weeks?

Section 116
01-28-2018, 09:51 AM
I think this paragraph is supposed to be the explanation for the "nine week" thing:

The West Coast Conference has gone to an unconventional schedule the past two seasons after the 2016 slate opened with a pair of pre-Christmas games. That didn’t sit well with member schools, but the tradeoff has been split weeks, the loss of some travel partners and an 18-game schedule without bye dates.

The answer to travel partners and one game weeks is below.

There’s a 10-week window next season, allowing for the return of the traditional schedule with travel partners and two one-game weeks.

I can't quite figure why this won't work in a nine week schedule. I guess it's because you need ten weeks if you are going to have weeks with only one league game, but I always was lousy at math!

Spike94
01-28-2018, 12:22 PM
That makes sense. But I still don't know why that would affect playing two schools twice before playing three teams once.

Bogozags
01-28-2018, 03:07 PM
"The calendar plays a key role in scheduling. The 18 games had to be compressed into a nine-week period last season and this season."

So the nine weeks somehow are different from other years 9 weeks?

As astute as you are I am surprised that you didn't learn that in one of your classes...nine weeks in one year doesn't necessarily mean nine weeks in another year. I mean you have 10 teams playing an 18 game schedule over a course of nine weeks...some years those nine weeks are stretched to 9.65 weeks and in other years they are only 8.2 weeks in duration...

I learned all this in Calendar-101 taught by Mr. Sweeny...it was a pretty tough course that lasted 10.42 weeks.

Maybe this schedule is a prerequisite for our entry into the Big East as that is their schedule...