PDA

View Full Version : A rough stretch upcoming:

gonzagafan62
01-27-2018, 09:43 PM
8! Only 8 games left, and it's absolutely brutal. Wins are at a premium.

One game at a time. I really believe in this team and I know we are capable of beating all of them if we focus on each team. Here's the schedule:

Home vs San Diego
Home vs BYU
Road vs Pacific
Road vs Saint Mary's
Home vs Loyoa Marymount
Home vs Pepperdine
Road vs San Diego
Road vs BYU on their senior night

This is not going to be easy, however as I said we can beat all these teams.

Ken Pom:

#16 Saint Mary's
#52 BYU
#121 San Diego

5 of our last 8 regular season games against the 3 best teams left on our schedule and it's starts thirsday.

Let's whoop some booty !!!!

Go zags

jpn17
01-27-2018, 09:50 PM
The most difficult stretch heading right into the conference tournament. I like it.

seacatfan
01-27-2018, 10:58 PM
3 of the games are against Pacific, LMU and Pepperdine. Brutal stretch? Come on 62, that's some hyperbole. Really only the 2 games against BYU and 1 against SMC should be challenging. USD hasn't been that impressive in WCC play. Hapless UP beat them in the Slim Gym about a week and a half ago. For some reason USF has given GU all kinds of problems this year, but they really shouldn't have much trouble w/ middle of the pack or bottom feeders from the WCC. LMU and Pepperdine are really bad and those 2 games are the middle of the stretch.

Murphy outgo lifer
01-28-2018, 12:08 AM
3 of the games are against Pacific, LMU and Pepperdine. Brutal stretch? Come on 62, that's some hyperbole. Really only the 2 games against BYU and 1 against SMC should be challenging. USD hasn't been that impressive in WCC play. Hapless UP beat them in the Slim Gym about a week and a half ago. For some reason USF has given GU all kinds of problems this year, but they really shouldn't have much trouble w/ middle of the pack or bottom feeders from the WCC. LMU and Pepperdine are really bad and those 2 games are the middle of the stretch.

If this was last year's team I would completely agree with you but for this year's team I think these next 4 games could very easily result in two losses and if they continue to play uninspired basketball could possibly result in a 3rd loss. Unfortunately, they are playing at a level closer to USF in the 150 kenpom rankings more so than a top 25 team and I think they could easily drop a game to anyone in the top 100 at the moment ---including San Diego at 121. Too many holes and too many inconsistent performances. I hope they figure things out and roll into the conference tournament as a consistent and confident team on both ends of the floor but it is getting very late in the season for transformations and if it is going to happen it needs to start now. This will be a good stretch to see if they have what it takes to make a run this year as they need to elevate their play similar to the team two years ago.

This team has a ton of talent so I hope they can pull it altogether.

CDC84
01-28-2018, 01:29 AM
At least the Zags will have had an extended stay at home to practice and get ready. Don't want to get caught napping at Pacific before the big SMC game. The Gaels almost got beat by the Tigers in Stockton.

Blowing that 19 pt. lead (or whatever it was) in the 1st half tonight......just don't get it. Tighten the vice.

roxdoc
01-28-2018, 08:04 AM
After the last few games I could see us easily loosing 2 or 3 before the league tourney.

gonzagafan62
01-28-2018, 08:35 AM

Usually you're right on point but I don't see where you think we are comfortable here. We always have trouble at slim gym and BYU is of course never easy. San Diego is pretty dang decent this year

MontanaCoyote
01-28-2018, 08:59 AM

One game at a time. I really believe in this team and I know we are capable of beating all of them if we focus on each team. Here's the schedule:

Home vs San Diego
Home vs BYU
Road vs Pacific
Road vs Saint Mary's
Home vs Loyoa Marymount
Home vs Pepperdine
Road vs San Diego

Ken Pom:

#16 Saint Mary's
#52 BYU
#121 San Diego

5 of our last 8 regular season games against the 3 best teams left on our schedule and it's starts thirsday.

Go zags

Hey Gfan62, Why not add either National Runner Up or Championship Game to your list of Zag accomplishments. 2 beats 4 or 3.

ZagsGoZags
01-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Hey Gfan62, Why not add either National Runner Up or Championship Game to your list of Zag accomplishments. 2 beats 4 or 3.

thanks for bringing this up, i've been too lazy to do it ....
a team gets bragging rights for Final Four even if they lose in it

MontanaCoyote
01-28-2018, 09:15 AM
thanks for bringing this up, i've been too lazy to do it ....
a team gets bragging rights for Final Four even if they lose in it

Your call. Just try in' to grab every last bit of BR's I can. Who knows when next time will be?
Best,
MC

Reborn
01-28-2018, 09:24 AM
This is getting really exciting now. I thought last night's game was a lot of fun. I think it was good for the team. We need some tough games before we get into the NCAA Tournament in March. The second half of last night's game is exactly what the Zags needed. I think Jonathan Williams has woken up. OMG did he play great in the second half last night. That's the kind of game we all know that he is capable of. And OMG he shot 4-5 from the free throw line....I think last night was the first time I saw a player step up and say, "Not in our house you don't." We this every game from him now, and we need that kind of play from Melson. And Silas is also stepping up. We have never seen Silas dunk like he has in the last two games. And I think I heard the announcer say he's been shooting 50% from the 3 point line in conference play.

As was said, this is the kind of schedule the Zags need in order to prepare for post season play. It's the kind of schedule that will get the team focused and keep them focused. It's like a horse race. We're running down the backstretch now and heading for home. Gonzaga has lots of experience doing this. I don't care how many posters think the WCC sucks, it has never been easy to win this conference. This conference has also always prepared Gonzaga for the NCAA tournament. The teams we are about to play, are definitely teams who will be tough to beat. But if we are going to be champions we will do what champions do.

Go Zags!!!

Kemo 1966
01-28-2018, 09:29 AM

You are absolutely right Seacatfan; Zags 'should' have no problem with Pacific.... .... Pacific is 3-2 vs the WCC with 8 scholarship players; and have played the last 5 (2-3) with only 7 scholarship players, including the near win of WCC leader SMC!!! GU will have to show up and hit some 3's and of course pound the paint (Pacific can't match your 'frontline').... we'll see what 'Vegas # is thrown out for the 'cover'. I wouldn't go by the final numbers of any game..... even with 7 players, BYU had all it could handle in Provo on Saturday...that is until the 'ugly officiating crew' decided to 'end it early' and go home..........IMO, Few will work on 'CLOSING GAMES OUT' ..... if GU continues to slide in the last 6 minutes or so..... it can become a debilitating habit, that could send you home early in the FIRST round of NCAA's.

gonzagafan62
01-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Shoot I thought I did. Must literally be the only page I didn't do this on. Thanks!

EDIT: Fixed. Shoutout to MontanaCoyote

seacatfan
01-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Of course Gonzaga COULD lose to most of the teams on their remaining schedule. They need to play up to their capabilities, not this inconsistent stuff like we've seen some of lately (yesterday against USF for example). But I'm sticking w/ my opinion. There are 2 games at home against absolutely horrible teams. And any team (USD) that manages to lose at home to Portland does not impress me. Yes Pacific has been better than I expected this year, I wasn't aware of how depleted their roster is. Kudos to the job Stoudamire is doing there and to the whole team for hanging tough.

TravelinZag
01-29-2018, 05:08 AM
Does that mean Zags streak of NCAA bids at risk if they don’t pull off an upset in Moraga? Hate for all to depend on WCC tournament.

strikenowhere
01-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Does that mean Zags streak of NCAA bids at risk if they don’t pull off an upset in Moraga? Hate for all to depend on WCC tournament.

Nah, the Zags should still get a bid just due to the fact that they would have at minimum 3 top 50 RPI & KenPom wins against Creighton, Texas, and Ohio St.

The real serious concern is losing out on a conference championship/co-championship. I unfortunately think this will be the year that that streak is broken and St. Mary's is going to get a clean banner.

Zags11
01-29-2018, 07:19 AM

Zags will get the benefit this year and get a at large bid if they have 2 more losses.

hooter73
01-29-2018, 08:33 AM
all depends on if we put an emphasis on 3 pt defense. that will be the difference maker going down the stretch.

TexasZagFan
01-29-2018, 09:32 AM
all depends on if we put an emphasis on 3 pt defense. that will be the difference maker going down the stretch.

It's been my contention that we cannot be defeated by two point FG's. The clear exception to that was SMC, who beat us with only 8 3's. What REALLY beat us was slowing our tempo in the second half. When we're playing with the wind in our hair, we're unbeatable.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2018, 09:38 AM

Yes I think we are in real danger if we don't win both games this week

gonzagafan62
01-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Yes I think we are in real danger if we don't win both games this week

Whoever gets the 1 seed in WCC tourney I think is absolutely safe

gaels87
01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Nah, the Zags should still get a bid just due to the fact that they would have at minimum 3 top 50 RPI & KenPom wins against Creighton, Texas, and Ohio St.

The real serious concern is losing out on a conference championship/co-championship. I unfortunately think this will be the year that that streak is broken and St. Mary's is going to get a clean banner.

I think you guys are fine, unless you drop 3.

Also - FWIW- we did get a "clean" banner in 2011-12 winning the conference outright as well as the WCC tourney.

zagzilla
01-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Prediction: 6-2 in the last 8.

Somebody should start a poll

ZZ

Dorsai62
01-29-2018, 01:41 PM
I think you guys are fine, unless you drop 3.

Also - FWIW- we did get a "clean" banner in 2011-12 winning the conference outright as well as the WCC tourney.

Can we speed up our game and keep the turnovers down? Is there a correlation between the speed of the Zag game and our turnover rate? IMO if we speed up the game AND take care of the ball it will be hard for any opponent to beat them!
TEX?

krozman
01-29-2018, 02:07 PM
I'm going back to the beginning of this thread and will AGREE that this is a "rough stretch." Not necessarily for the program or "must win" for the tourney, but for my OWN MENTAL HEALTH. I need to see GU pull it together and string out a great last part of their season. If I see it, they will see it and believe they have just as good a chance to win it all as all the other fools losing games left and right this time of year. Lets bring it home boys.

MileHigh
01-29-2018, 02:25 PM
8! Only 8 games left, and it's absolutely brutal.

I wouldn't call that stretch anything close to brutal. The only probable NCAA team in the bunch is St Marys, not to mention there are 2 or 3 really bad teams in that group. If Gonzaga can get 3 relatively close games from that stretch it would be great, but I wouldnt be surprise if St Marys and BYU in Provo are the only games in that bunch that truly go down to the wire.

You want to see brutal look at WVU's schedule over the last three weeks.
OU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas, Texas, TCU, and Kentucky...every single one of those teams has been ranked at some point this this year and all, except maybe Baylor, will make the tourney.

Now that is brutal!

seacatfan
01-29-2018, 02:47 PM
The voice of reason. Thanks MileHigh. It's all relative, but yeah that only 1 probable NCAA Tourney team factor should put the Zags stretch run into some perspective.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
The voice of reason. Thanks MileHigh. It's all relative, but yeah that only 1 probable NCAA Tourney team factor should put the Zags stretch run into some perspective.

What has made you believe that any of he USD games BYU games will be wins? Was it the blown 17 point vs USF? Was it the blown 9 point lead with minutes left and a loss vs SMC at home? Losing to an inept offensive SDSU team? Going to OT vs North Dakota? Anything close to a good team has been a struggle, and we lost at home to a team that has landale and for once we actually struggled without him.

I wanna be optimistic too. And if we win both games this week I probably will agree with you and milehigh and be okay again. This week is not going to be easy. Shoot we almost gave up 80 to Portland lol

75Zag
01-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Until I see how GU matches up against BYU I have no way of making a prediction on those games, but it is hard to imagine that GU will lose more than 1 game between here and the WCC Tournament. If they do, I think it will indicate a fundamental flaw that will raise very serious doubts about GU's chances in the NCAA Tournament. But I don't think we lose more than 1 game from here to Vegas and I think it is realistic to expect that GU will not lose any games between now and Vegas.

Go Bulldogs!

seacatfan
01-29-2018, 06:16 PM
What has made you believe that any of he USD games BYU games will be wins? Was it the blown 17 point vs USF? Was it the blown 9 point lead with minutes left and a loss vs SMC at home? Losing to an inept offensive SDSU team? Going to OT vs North Dakota? Anything close to a good team has been a struggle, and we lost at home to a team that has landale and for once we actually struggled without him.

I wanna be optimistic too. And if we win both games this week I probably will agree with you and milehigh and be okay again. This week is not going to be easy. Shoot we almost gave up 80 to Portland lol

Okay. I get your point. Let me say the stretch run SHOULDN'T be that difficult, but it potentially COULD/WILL be based on the way Gonzaga is playing inconsistently. I think what caused me to respond and keep responding was the part about calling it brutal. It's not a murderer's row that GU is facing, but the way they are playing gives most teams a chance against them. Fair enough?

FGZagDad
01-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Until I see how GU matches up against BYU I have no way of making a prediction on those games, but it is hard to imagine that GU will lose more than 1 game between here and the WCC Tournament. If they do, I think it will indicate a fundamental flaw that will raise very serious doubts about GU's chances in the NCAA Tournament. But I don't think we lose more than 1 game from here to Vegas and I think it is realistic to expect that GU will not lose any games between now and Vegas.

Go Bulldogs!

I really hope that you are right. I have my doubts though. Zags just aren't clicking in my view. SF was a scratch it out win. Mary's came in to the kennel and played calm, under control and seemed to never get rattled, and win. BYU games are huge, as are the SD games. Think we get SD, because we believe we can. BYU, that's another thing......

SWZag
01-29-2018, 06:39 PM
A rough stretch in the WCC? Like, difficult competition in the WCC? Who would have thought?

/Sarcasm ;)

gonzagafan62
01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Okay. I get your point. Let me say the stretch run SHOULDN'T be that difficult, but it potentially COULD/WILL be based on the way Gonzaga is playing inconsistently. I think what caused me to respond and keep responding was the part about calling it brutal. It's not a murderer's row that GU is facing, but the way they are playing gives most teams a chance against them. Fair enough?

Very fair enough. I agree it's not murders row but it's definitely something that could put GU in danger was all I was getting at. I think you got that part, and now we can bump fists and hope our team wins starting with Thursday? Let's get em

Coach Crazy
01-29-2018, 06:51 PM
BYU has some of the worst offense it's had in a long time. It's defense is better (minus the post defense), but they will completely over-matched at every position. Could they get up for the occasion ? Sure. But this isn't one of those years where they have a Haws, Collinsworth, or Mika that can absolutely take over a game.

I don't think BYU fans are as confident, this go-round.

bballbeachbum
01-29-2018, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't call that stretch anything close to brutal. The only probable NCAA team in the bunch is St Marys, not to mention there are 2 or 3 really bad teams in that group. If Gonzaga can get 3 relatively close games from that stretch it would be great, but I wouldnt be surprise if St Marys and BYU in Provo are the only games in that bunch that truly go down to the wire.

You want to see brutal look at WVU's schedule over the last three weeks.
OU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas, Texas, TCU, and Kentucky...every single one of those teams has been ranked at some point this this year and all, except maybe Baylor, will make the tourney.

Now that is brutal!

Your point is well taken even though I see it as great opportunity after great opportunity after great opportunity, etc. to get quality wins without fear of an ugly loss, which is the worst thing on a resume seemingly. Plus none of those games will be the Super Bowl for the opposing program this year the way a matchup vs. the Zags always is in the WCC.

77Zag
01-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Dog days of January are done - time to get into playoff mode!
8-0 Zags! And three more in Vegas baby!

Zags11
01-30-2018, 12:08 PM

Home vs San Diego
Home vs BYU
Road vs Pacific
Road vs Saint Mary's
Home vs Loyoa Marymount
Home vs Pepperdine
Road vs San Diego

Ken Pom:

#16 Saint Mary's
#52 BYU
#121 San Diego

Go zags

6-2 or 7-1. Then 2-1 or 3-0 in wcc tourny. So in last 11 games it will be 8-10 wins.

So at worst 27-7 and at best 29-5.

Both bring March madness. The worst record in #7-10 range and best record in #4-6 range in seeding.

jazzdelmar
01-30-2018, 12:21 PM
3 losses. One to BYU, at Moraga, and in the WCC finals to the Marians. 7 or 8 seed.

MileHigh
01-30-2018, 01:06 PM
3 losses. One to BYU, at Moraga, and in the WCC finals to the Marians. 7 or 8 seed.

So you foresee a SMU 3-0 sweep? I saw nothing in the first meeting to lead me there. That was anyone’s ball game and the only team that ever had a somewhat comfortable lead was Gonzaga. I think Gonzaga bows thier necks and wins the next two.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2018, 01:23 PM
So you foresee a SMU 3-0 sweep? I saw nothing in the first meeting to lead me there. That was anyone’s ball game and the only team that ever had a somewhat comfortable lead was Gonzaga. I think Gonzaga bows thier necks and wins the next two.

We need to find an answer for Landale. If we don't, we will get beat 3 times. If we do, we can win both. But we Have to do something different with Jock. Have to

jazzdelmar
01-30-2018, 01:27 PM

That game was at Home so 5 points accrue to Zags. Still lost. Landale is tough for our feathery bigs.

MileHigh
01-30-2018, 01:48 PM
We need to find an answer for Landale. If we don't, we will get beat 3 times. If we do, we can win both. But we Have to do something different with Jock. Have to

I trust Few will have a game plan defensively. It might be to let Londale potentially get his by playing him one on one, but just make sure everyone else is held in check. That appeared to be their plan last time, and it worked for most of the game.

One thing he did for a little bit last game that I really liked was guarding Nahar with Rui. That allowed them to simply switch the ball screen with Londale and avoid the mismatches that Bennett loves to create with that high ball screen. I also wouldn't mind seeing them play some odd front zone. 12 32 or 13

gonzagafan62
01-30-2018, 01:51 PM
I trust Few will have a game plan defensively. It might be to let Londale potentially get his by playing him one on one, but just make sure everyone else is held in check. That appeared to be their plan last time, and it worked for most of the game.

One thing he did for a little bit last game that I really liked was guarding Nahar with Rui. That allowed them to simply switch the ball screen with Londale and avoid the mismatches that Bennett loves to create with that high ball screen. I also wouldn't mind seeing them play some odd front zone. 12 32 or 13

That's a good idea actually. I'd like to see them try that. Rui I agree will have to be huge also in these games. I noticed hay too .... hopefully we continue to see that. I bet we will

75Zag
01-30-2018, 01:56 PM
It is hard to believe that GU, the team that played in the NC game and lost may be seeded as a 7 going into the 2018 NCAA Tournament, but I guess that is the curse (or blessing) of college BB. I still think GU could move up a spot or two in the seeding, but that depends on how GU finishes in the WCC. I am really curious to see how GU plays BYU. I know GU is the vastly better team against BYU "on paper", but I have lost tens of thousands of dollars wagering on the "better team on paper". It will be great to see actual head-to-head competition.

Go Bulldogs! Beat the Spread!

seacatfan
01-30-2018, 05:23 PM
It is hard to believe that GU, the team that played in the NC game and lost may be seeded as a 7 going into the 2018 NCAA Tournament

Look at the rest of last year's Final 4 participants. Carolina is barely over .500 in conference play. While missing the Tourney probably isn't a concern, they probably aren't headed for a high seed. And Oregon and South Carolina probably both requires minor miracles to even make the field at this point.

kitzbuel
01-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Look at the rest of last year's Final 4 participants. Carolina is barely over .500 in conference play. While missing the Tourney probably isn't a concern, they probably aren't headed for a high seed. And Oregon and South Carolina probably both requires minor miracles to even make the field at this point.

UNC doesn’t look safe now.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2018, 07:14 AM
UNC doesn’t look safe now.

We aren't too safe either

Reborn
01-31-2018, 07:48 AM
I voted 8-0. Believe it or not. The Zags are that good, and getting better.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
01-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Went with 6 -2. SMC and one of the BYU games. . .I hope Reborn is right and I am wrong. . .

TexasZagFan
01-31-2018, 08:28 AM
I voted 8-0. Believe it or not. The Zags are that good, and getting better.

Go Zags!!!

So did I, though I fear I went with my gut and not my head.

Zags11
01-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Went with 6 -2. SMC and one of the BYU games. . .I hope Reborn is right and I am wrong. . .

Same.

seacatfan
02-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Well 62, this game is a long way from being over, but it's looking like you totally called it w/ the USD game being really tough.

seacatfan
02-01-2018, 07:22 PM
After my previous post GU started to pull away heading into halftime, I thought I reversed jinxed it. Ah, but then USD came storming back to tie it. We may yet get a nail biter that comes down to the final few possessions.

gonzagafan62
02-01-2018, 09:53 PM
After my previous post GU started to pull away heading into halftime, I thought I reversed jinxed it. Ah, but then USD came storming back to tie it. We may yet get a nail biter that comes down to the final few possessions.

Too close for comfort. Not feeling good going on the road

TexasZagFan
02-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Too close for comfort. Not feeling good going on the road

Here's what makes me nervous: we haven't lost a conference road game since 2016. What is it, 20 in a row? Law of averages sez we're due for laying an egg.

RenoZag
02-11-2018, 01:25 PM
bump

Zagger
02-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Well, since I can't still vote - I would have voted 8-0. Why? Because I'm a Zags fan first and a BB fan a distant 2nd. I drink, or smoke ;) , Zag Koolaid every day. The Zags are special as they, I fully believe, have a program built on character as much as it is on skills/etc. That's what really wins out and sooner or later it'll win clear through April.

TexasZagFan
02-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Well, since I can't still vote - I would have voted 8-0. Why? Because I'm a Zags fan first and a BB fan a distant 2nd. I drink, or smoke ;) , Zag Koolaid every day. The Zags are special as they, I fully believe, have a program built on character as much as it is on skills/etc. That's what really wins out and sooner or later it'll win clear through April.

Cue up Sister Sledge, “We are Family.” Anyone who’s been around Zag teams and players over the years can’t help but appreciate the sense of family they inspire.

Zagger
02-12-2018, 04:27 AM
Cue up Sister Sledge, “We are Family.” Anyone who’s been around Zag teams and players over the years can’t help but appreciate the sense of family they inspire.

YeeHaw! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAQ8LLptUo