PDA

View Full Version : Post game thread vs USF

Zags11
01-27-2018, 05:55 PM
Zags hang on to win 82-73.

Thank goodness for JW3 tonight. He saved the game time and time again. Zags up 1 and kispert misses both and jw3 gets board and bucket. Then blocks a shot and hits a 3. Jw3 was a boss tonight. Wow.

Luckily the zags won.

Zags went cold during stretches and once again our 3 point defense sucks so bad its embarrassing. It is. USF shot over 50% from 3 for most of the game and finishes at 50%. Zags are #280 in country in 3pt d. That's a early exit in march. I thought the coaches fixed this after last yr. They didn't.

Thank goodness for JW3.

Zags11
01-27-2018, 05:56 PM
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-three-point-pct

Nevada Don
01-27-2018, 06:06 PM
JW3 was my FAV Zag from early last year. Those last 3 blocks tonight (when it really counted) were awesome.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-27-2018, 06:15 PM
...I couldn't believe how WIDE OPEN USF's 3 point shooters were for most of the game...no wonder they shot 50% (9-18) for the game from the 3-point line.....and I checked, during their previous 5 road games, USF shot 44 for 138 (32%) from the 3-point line.

ZagNative
01-27-2018, 06:24 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Thank goodness for JW3 tonight. He saved the game time and time again. Zags up 1 and kispert misses both and jw3 gets board and bucket. Then blocks a shot and hits a 3. Jw3 was a boss tonight. Wow.

Luckily the zags won.

Zags went cold during stretches and once again our 3 point defense sucks so bad its embarrassing. It is. USF shot over 50% from 3 for most of the game and finishes at 50%. Zags are #280 in country in 3pt d. That's a early exit in march. I thought the coaches fixed this after last yr. They didn't.

Thank goodness for JW3.

katman50
01-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Luckily the zags won.

Thank goodness for JW3.

Says it all.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-27-2018, 06:37 PM
JWIII took over for sure and it wasn’t because they were just dumping the ball into him and waiting for him to do something. He just imposed his will on the game and dominated on both ends. Way to go Jonathan Williams III.

Perkins makes really dumb plays. Not bashing him but just real head scratchers. So frustrating.

3 pt D a big concern for sure as well as the long dry spells on offense, but I love that Zags got production and quality minutes from everyone on the court. USF on the rise for sure. I like their coach.

MontanaCoyote
01-27-2018, 06:48 PM

Luckily the zags won.

Thank goodness for JW3.

3 pt defense does. Why?

krozman
01-27-2018, 06:59 PM
I'd love to participate in a basketball discussion, but what I saw didn't resemble that really. About 10 minutes of greatness and 30 minutes of holding your head with a dumbfounded look on your face. Just terrible. Tell perkins to become the assist leader and stop trying to score. But ugh....just ugh.

GonzaGAW
01-27-2018, 07:30 PM
- understandably jw3 is run away winner in the player of the game polling.

- I'm confused why we are so bad at 3 point shooting defense, 280th in the nation! weren't we a top 10 team in that stat last year? anyway my point is the team is coachable, they know how to defend, they are long and athletic yet they do not get the job done.

- I will bet that was the worst offensive out put over 10 minutes (3 points) that a Gonzaga team, has seen in 10-20-30 years, just dreadful.

- but we win, go zags!

Zag Man
01-27-2018, 07:53 PM
I thought USF was very well coached and played excellently in a hostile environment. Gonzaga seemed content to jacking up 3-point shots and played raggedly before the half. Hats off to JWIII who played like a senior leader and carried the team to this victory.

Vanzagger
01-27-2018, 08:02 PM
I’m all for some closed door practices where the players finish bruised and bloodied. What’s that flavor we all like? It wins in the 2nd season.

ZAG MENTALITY

ZagsGoZags
01-27-2018, 08:24 PM
I have the same feeling about Perkins. I don't mind when he goes up for an open shot, or 3 pt attempt with his feet set. But I shudder every time he drives the Lane.

Reborn
01-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Like most games with USF it was another good one. This was a good test for the Zags as they had to close the deal in a very close game. The defense didn't look too good against the Dons, but a lot of credit goes to USF for playing a great offensive game. i've seen so many games against USF just like this one, where the Dons can't miss. They always seem to have really good 3 pt shooting guards. I thoughts the Zags played good accept for the last half of the first half. Other than that it was a good game, and I'm glad it was close. Zags need some close games before the Saint Mary's game and they are going to really get them now. 4 straight really tough games. I am one who thinks it'll be good for the Zags!.

It was really great to see the outstanding play of JWIII. His best game this year after Florida, and I think his best for sure defensively. It was really nice to see him rise up and take over the game at the end. Because of him, the Zags shut the door tight, and USF couldn't open it at the end of the game. Also some excellent free throw shooting by the Zags, including 4-5 for Josh Williams.

I think my disappointment this year has been the three point shooting by Zag guards. It's so inconsistent that it makes me sick to watch. Zags, one more time shoot in the 30's % range from beyond the 3 point line.

We got 18 points from bench players Hachimura and Kispert. Rui with 14 and KIspert with 4. Both of them had some real nice dunks. It's good to see Kispert attacking the basket the way he does. He only played thirteen minutes, which I didn't like at all. Especially when Norvell was not having a good game at all. Also the team continues to look good when Rui is playing the 3 spot. I think it's been a good week for the Zags. So many top 10 to top 20 teams got beat this week AGAIN. It's good to see GU not.

Go Zags!!!

Murphy outgo lifer
01-27-2018, 10:41 PM
- I will bet that was the worst offensive out put over 10 minutes (3 points) that a Gonzaga team, has seen in 10-20-30 years, just dreadful.

A close second would be the 3 baskets scored in the last 10 minutes of the last St. Mary's game. Hopefully they don't contribute anymore entries to the Zag's top ten all-time worst stretches for the rest of this season.

Murphy outgo lifer
01-27-2018, 10:46 PM
It's good to see Kispert attacking the basket the way he does. He only played thirteen minutes, which I didn't like at all.

I was surprised Kispert did not get more playing time in this game as he was coming off his career high last game and the team lacked effort and energy tonight which Kispert brings a ton of.

Zags11
01-28-2018, 12:58 AM
3 pt defense does. Why?

It was always below avg in my books in years past. It was and why people get frustrated when we lose this way. Same end of the season exits. Last year people thought the coaches fixed it. Sadly they haven't and this yr is really bad.

RenoZag
01-28-2018, 06:33 AM
Jim Meehan's Game Story:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/updates-and-analysis-gonzaga-vs-san-francisco/#/0

Meehan's Game Analysis Feature, Including Audio Clip links to interviews with: Few, Williams, Perkins, Melson, Norvell and a photo gallery

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/analysis-up-and-down-gonzaga-finishes-on-high-note/#/0

GU’s defense was stellar early, then struggled for a lengthy portion before making a huge difference in the final 2 minutes with the outcome hanging in the balance.

The offense was smooth in the opening 10 minutes but took a nap for the rest of the half. The Zags returned to top form with a 50-point second half.

Johnathan Williams? Quiet in the first half, huge in the second.

“I told him he saved us,” junior guard Josh Perkins said. “We expect him to do that.”

The coach? Pragmatic.

“I wouldn’t say I would use the consistent word with anybody in our program,” Mark Few said.

Whitney Ogden feature on Tillie: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/killian-tillie-showing-more-consistency-for-gonzag/

“I’ve tried to be more consistent,” said Tillie, who referred to his up and down season as more of a mental block than an issue with his athleticism. He said during Gonzaga’s recent conference matchups he’s been focusing on “being more aggressive, going at them, being aggressive (with) rebounds.”

Vince Grippi's "TV Take" feature: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/tv-take-broadcast-trio-offers-fans-comfortable-ins/#/0

RenoZag
01-28-2018, 06:41 AM
Feature story on Perkins' 1000 point milestone: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/josh-perkins-humbly-surpasses-1000-points-in-his-g/

After hitting 1,000, Perkins was sent to the line one more time with 21 seconds left. He hit both shots, giving him a career total of 1,002 points.

Perkins has hit a few other milestones this season, including the 100-mark in steals and the 400-mark in assists, which he broke against Portland on Thursday when he dished out three assists. On Saturday, Perkins added four more feeds to increase his career assists total to 405.

He is the second Zag to reach 1,000 career points this season. Forward Johnathan Williams surpassed the mark on Nov. 14 when Gonzaga toppled Howard 106-69.

Perkins pointed to his teammates for helping him to 1,000-plus points.

“These guys in the locker room make me look good,” Perkins said. “It’s their accomplishment, too.”

allnet59
01-28-2018, 10:36 AM
I have the same feeling about Perkins. I don't mind when he goes up for an open shot, or 3 pt attempt with his feet set. But I shudder every time he drives the Lane.

Crazy how Perkins struggles to finish around the rim when driving to the basket for an elite point guard....Way to many missed opportunities for him IMO

krozman
01-28-2018, 10:47 AM
I dunno, maybe that was it. He was focused on that arbitrary number and not the number of attempts it was taking to get there.

Plainsman
01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
This is a frustrating group this year - as Coach Few said, one would not use the word "consistency" when referring to ANY member of this team this year. Few must be at his wits end trying to get at least one or two of these veterans to show up EVERY night and not just every other or every third night. Very perplexing group of players this year. One only hopes this trend changes before the trend finishes us off this year.

jazzdelmar
01-28-2018, 10:53 AM
I dunno, maybe that was it. He was focused on that arbitrary number and not the number of attempts it was taking to get there.

I have never seen Josh as being selfish. If anything, too deferential.

maynard g krebs
01-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Crazy how Perkins struggles to finish around the rim when driving to the basket for an elite point guard....Way to many missed opportunities for him IMO

PTSD from Gaines' karate kick to the jaw imo. Kind of like a war vet, years later, might dive for cover if a car backfires on the street nearby. The subconscious is much more powerful than the conscious mind, and is trying to make sure we survive all the dangers out there.

On Perkins' Wiki page, Few at the time Josh signed is quoted as saying in addition to being a great shooter and passer, he's strong and athletic enough to get in the lane and make plays and finish at the rim. Obviously no longer a strength, but his shooting and ball distribution make up for it imo, and there are enough other guys (Norvell, Kispert, Rui, Melson) who can take it to the rim and score effectively.

MDABE80
01-28-2018, 02:23 PM
You might be right Maynard. Just so averse to contact and surely invading the key where guards get the hell kicked out of em. Good thought. It's just so obvious but I never thought of that reason. Lasting psychic damage mostly supersedes the physical component.