PDA

View Full Version : Great WaPo article on Few and Gonzaga

LongIslandZagFan
01-27-2018, 07:00 AM
Really good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/the-season-after-gonzagas-final-four-breakthrough-higher-expectations-but-lifelong-memories/2018/01/26/70e59fee-02e8-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?src=rss&utm_term=.aa12f853bcda

This quote I love... think it sums up Few perfectly:

“My best moments in the offseason came when I was fly-fishing, by myself,” he said. “I just kind of stood there or and thought, ‘Wow, I’m from Creswell, Oregon, I coach at Gonzaga and look where we got to be.’ It was a very cool feeling.

23dpg
01-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Few talking about the title game last year:

If you’d gone to all the big guys before the game and said, ‘Hey, we’re calling nothing tonight, just play,’ they’d have said, ‘We’re good,’ ” Few said. “Instead it felt like they called everything and kind of took the game away from the players. That was disappointing.”

First time I’ve seen that quote from him. Truth.

Hoopaholic
01-27-2018, 07:16 AM
Really good read. Thank you

DixieZag
01-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Feinstein and Few at their best.

Nice LIZF, thx

Zag_Dad
01-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Great read, thank you. Interesting to see that Few somewhat expected NWG to be back this year.

RenoZag
01-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Embedded in John F's article is a link to a nice story by Adam Kilgore on GU from last season's FF run. . .

( See CEO's post below for the link )

Zagceo
01-27-2018, 08:10 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/03/30/with-the-final-four-finally-here-gonzaga-looks-back-on-an-amazing-journey/?utm_term=.74e7edb4e367

ZagNative
01-27-2018, 08:27 AM
It's so cool, the kind of family Few has created at Gonzaga ...

“Our video guy had put together a highlight tape, not the kind we usually have for the team showing them making good plays, but for the alums. We had John Stockton throwing passes wearing those old-fashioned shorts. Everyone was whooping and hollering. Then, when it was over, all the ex-players lined up in a gantlet for the guys to walk through and shake everybody’s hand.

rennis
01-27-2018, 09:00 AM
So good!

sittingon50
01-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks LI. Great read, as are all the links therein.!

Birddog
01-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Very cool article, thanks LIZF

bballbeachbum
01-27-2018, 11:51 AM
man that was great LIZF, thank you

I love what Few stands for in this day and age of sports!!! love
another sweet quote

“A lot of coaches need to feel wanted by other programs,” said Gary Williams, another close friend. “It’s why a lot of us move around. Mark’s always had the self confidence to not need that. It’s also why he’s been a good recruiter. He’s not flamboyant. It’s never about him, it’s about the players, which is something players love. They notice.”

Section 116
01-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Good stuff, thanks!

zagbeliever
01-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting!

webspinnre
01-27-2018, 12:10 PM
John Feinstein is a treasure - I miss his radio show, where he did a full interview every week, I think wednesday mornings, including a good number of college coaches. I highly recommend his books.

Zags_Fanatic
01-27-2018, 01:50 PM
It's so cool, the kind of family Few has created at Gonzaga ...

I really wish they would release that video to the public.

Zags11
01-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Really good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/the-season-after-gonzagas-final-four-breakthrough-higher-expectations-but-lifelong-memories/2018/01/26/70e59fee-02e8-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?src=rss&utm_term=.aa12f853bcda

This quote I love... think it sums up Few perfectly:

I can't read it. Says I need to subscribe.

kitzbuel
01-28-2018, 05:16 AM
John Feinstein is a treasure - I miss his radio show, where he did a full interview every week, I think wednesday mornings, including a good number of college coaches. I highly recommend his books.Fortunately he comes on a local sports radio morning show here DC every week, so I get to hear him then. Talks a lot of golf.

I find it interesting that Few was caught a little off guard by NWG's leaving early. Few clearly had the same views that many of us had, that NWG could establish a storied college career.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
01-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Link to the SR copy of the article

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/27/the-washington-posts-john-feinstein-on-mark-few-za/

LongIslandZagFan
01-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Someone sent me this photo.... thought everyone would love to see it. Not everyone is in it... but this is a large portion of the group.

https://s13.postimg.org/ihqgmx49z/Zagsin_Phx.jpg

bballbeachbum
01-28-2018, 10:07 AM
What a pic!
wow, nice share man, thanks

jazzdelmar
01-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Few’s enticement of NWG was spot on, he’d be the face of CBB 2018. Missed opportunity for all parties.

webspinnre
01-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Fortunately he comes on a local sports radio morning show here DC every week, so I get to hear him then. Talks a lot of golf.

I find it interesting that Few was caught a little off guard by NWG's leaving early. Few clearly had the same views that many of us had, that NWG could establish a storied college career.

Very nice. Feinstein's interviews were so good he actually made me care a bit about golf.

Goshzagit
01-30-2018, 06:47 AM
Few’s enticement of NWG was spot on, he’d be the face of CBB 2018. Missed opportunity for all parties.

"I understood it," he said. "But I honestly thought Nigel had a chance to be the face of college basketball this season: a senior who was the best player on a good team.

As expected, NWG is doing amazingly well in Euro-league play. Leads his League in assists, and a contender for MVP.

However, while Nigel is an astonishing young man, faithful leader, and incredibly positive thinker (just follow him on Twitter & Instagram and you will feel better about yourself), he is the first to admit....he wishes he would have stayed.

NWG will get another shot at the NBA this off-season. His play overseas has been noticed, but no different if he had stayed in school. His markability would have sky-rocketed, and honestly, we'd be 21-1, Top 10 with him at the helm.

He currently watches EVERY Zag game, and is the first to state what we're doing wrong, what we need to improve, and how to keep our heads held high. He's even a floor general from afar.

He is earning a solid living playing abroad, yet compared to his value finishing his Masters at GU, along with the Legacy is easily as much earning power as his six figure season over there.

Nigel's plan and goal was the NBA. He still might make it. I doubt he misses 4 consecutive of his trademark, patented floaters as I watched him do last Summer League.

No doubt he should have stayed, Coach Few still feels the same way, and so does Nigel.

Collins made the right move, even though I'm more disappointed by him leaving. Struck while iron was hot. Lottery Pick. Multi Million Dollar Guaranteed Contract. Set for life if you play it right.

Nigel took a gamble and risk, but didn't entirely whiff. He is still earning money playing the game he loves, but given last season to this season, he truly would have been the face of Gonzaga (last yr was Karno), the face of College Hoops. 1st Team AA, etc. There is value in that, just ask Josh Hart from 'Nova. 2nd Rd pick, but still sticking around given his recognition, presence, ESPN articles, as the face of College BB for a season.

If this team had a game plan...on the court, not off it...we'd be near unbeatable. Just read Wither's latest article. We feel and look out of sync. Arguably the most collective talent/stars/attributes a Gonzaga team has ever had, but we can't sustain it in games or in clutch moments. That's missing a LEADER, not to mention 16 ppg, 6 apg, & player who can score in the paint.

We are over it, yet no doubt I agree with Coach Few.

NWG will attempt to make the NBA this off-season, and I think he will make it, yet no difference had he stuck around for one last finale as a Superstar.