PDA

View Full Version : Two Observations - Good & Not-so-Good

BobZag
10-27-2007, 10:33 AM
1. If Matt Bouldin does not improve, ie, finish better, shoot better, etc., he will run a serious risk of being replaced by Gray or Daye or Micah or Ira!. I did not see any improvement in his game last night. Other than buffing up, he played no better than at this time last year. Handled the ball a little better is all.

2. The Zags' interior shotblocking abilities have never been better. I can see this team snuffing and swatting shots at a high rate all year long. And this was w/o Josh in there. I really believe the coaches can let the guards pressure outside because the inside will be well-protected by the bigs this season.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
BZ---Thats a troubling comment abt Matt.....we have such great hopes for him....doesnt seem like the international experience helped, i guess...good news is that there are subs ready to step up......but its hard to accept that the glimpses we saw in M's game last year were just that.........

J-Mac Zag Forever
10-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Agree with #2. Defense was good both on the interior and on the parimeter. Wonder if some of that was Coach Ray's influence.

On #1 totally disagree. Matt's offensive game was good not great and his shot was off. So was everyone's except for Downs and Kuso. It is still early in preseason and difficult to grasp the overall growth in a players game.

oregongufan
10-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Could Matt's "lack of improvement" be from this past summer's play? I remember that he was playing out of position in most of the games because of lack of height on the US team.

MDABE80
10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I think BZ's right......and I feel bad about the first point. Matt's a shooting guard who passes very well. not to belabor the obvious but shooting guards are supposed to be great shooters. Maybe Matt needs to do a Rotnie and shoot 500 balls or more/day. Watch his mechanics and have the coaches look hard at some reversible/correctable features.
Seems like he's got the rest the game down pretty well. Shooting is a matter of practicing over and over and....well....you get it. i will say this much though: Matt'll have some new guys bearing down hard if his shooting woes don't clear up. That position needs to be worth 20 ppg....no matter who's doing the shooting. Hope he does what must be done.

hockeyzag
10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Didn't I hear something this summer about Matt's USA basketball coach working with him on his shot, changing or tweaking the mechanics a bit? Maybe that is something that needs to happen, or maybe it is happening right now. If he is changing up the mechanics of his shot then I bet getting it down during a game is going to take some time. I'm sure Few and co. have diagnosed the problem and are trying to help him on it, or maybe he just had a down day, it happens.

CDC84
10-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Coach Few has talked about accountability throughout the preseason in regards to this team's depth. For instance, he now has enough talent to sit players who don't play defense. That's the first thing that comes to mind - defense - but there is more to the picture. It also has to do with performance.

If you want minutes on this team that goes 12 or so deep, you had better produce.

If Bouldin is going to be a 2 man in the Gonzaga system, he needs to hit 3 pointers - end of story. Just like Raivio did, just like Kyle Bankhead did, just like Blake Stepp did when he played with Dickau. While Bouldin will likely be this team's PG when Pargo is getting a rest, Jeremy is probably going to play more minutes per game than just about anyone. There will only be so many PG minutes available.

sanfranzagsguy20
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
1. If Matt Bouldin does not improve, ie, finish better, shoot better, etc., he will run a serious risk of being replaced by Gray or Daye or Micah or Ira!. I did not see any improvement in his game last night. Other than buffing up, he played no better than at this time last year. Handled the ball a little better is all.

you're really talking about this after an intrasquad scrimmage?

bigparb
10-27-2007, 02:09 PM
No offense BZ, but I believe you are being a tad too critical of Bouldin.

Sure, is he didn't drill a bunch of 3's last night, but I saw a much improved player/athlete in Bouldin.

He appears to be in tremendous shape this year--still muscular, but trimmed way down; he appeared much quicker than last year; he greatly improved his 'ups' (did anyone notice his layup drill dunks?? I was blown away).

The reality for Bouldin is that he's a big, creative, pass-first PG, who has been labeled as our starting SG (I think we all know he's not a SG, but again that the starting spot he's been put in).

Personally, I accept him for what he is, and that's a guy who makes the players around him better, and I want him on the court at least 25 min/g.....

That being said.....

The potential problem for him is two fold: 1) if he doesn't hit his outside jumper, and we probably need guys who play the 2 to do this, he takes the shooting out of the SG spot and we appear to have plenty of other athletes who could play the 2, such as micah, Gray, and Ira, and who have the ability to stroke from downtown---we know micah does; and it appears gray and ira can too... 2) if he is forced to play the PG spot; he'll be sitting on the bench more than last year because Pargo is better than him right now.

I think Matt will be a great player for us over the next 3 seasons, and I'm sure he's find a way to get onto the floor, given the all of the fine attributes that he does have. I just hope for his sake that his attributes (he's a great passer, strong rebounder for his position and matchup problem for smaller guards--remember the offense run through him on the block at points last year---to name a few...) include a consistant jumper because it will be that much easier for Few to leave him on the floor......

?? Did I just disagree with you BZ or did I say I disagreed with you and then straddle the fence and appear to agree with you....oops :D

BobZag
10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
you're really talking about this after an intrasquad scrimmage?

Yes. And after some pick up games before that. I want him to improve and make that frosh-to-soph jump more than anyone, so I'm hoping he can. But with the depth and competition on the team this year, he better get going, there's fully capable guys looming large in the rearview mirror.

applezag
10-27-2007, 02:39 PM
If I recall correctly, didn't Leon Rice say that Pargo and Bouldin were the most improved players on the team this fall?

As for the suggestions on how he could improve, I'd be surprised if he isn't doing all of that and more. If any staff knows what to do to improve players' offensive skills, it's GU's. I'd be surprised if he wasn't shooting that much and if the staff wasn't breaking things down to minute details. Krause is annoyingly detailed when it comes to shooting form and mechanics.

MickMick
10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Matt's passing, length, and baseline drive will get him minutes. He may not be a pure shooter, but he is probably a better passer than Pargo. The wings will score and the guards will distribute. And if the other teams leave Bouldin open, then they will pay the price.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Matt does a lot of things better than P-go, like not playing the clown and foolishly jumping over a teammate's head for a dunk...how cd Few have let that happen? Is that GU basketball? Win something first Jeremy, before you prance around like an NFL defensive back......

BobZag
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
If I recall correctly, didn't Leon Rice say that Pargo and Bouldin were the most improved players on the team this fall?

As for the suggestions on how he could improve, I'd be surprised if he isn't doing all of that and more. If any staff knows what to do to improve players' offensive skills, it's GU's. I'd be surprised if he wasn't shooting that much and if the staff wasn't breaking things down to minute details. Krause is annoyingly detailed when it comes to shooting form and mechanics.

Making layups and little floaters are ways to improve. :) Here's to Leon Rice being right about one of the most improved. I'm hoping so. It'd make the backcourt scary good. He's trimmed down yet stronger...and quicker.

gamagin
10-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I can't think of a Zag who as a frosh has gotten as much playing time as Matt. So, expectations are high. As they should be.

His mind runs faster than his body and I think he gets ahead of himself. He's also too generous and too willing to pass, imo.

So he's learning, growing and for my money, he will be just fine. the competition won't hurt him. It will make him even better.

All he has to do is remind himself he played some of his best games as a true freshman against some of the best counterparts in the game. And he did great.

I wish there were a kitty on this type of thing cuz I'd love to make book on several premature worries I've seen. I worry more about injuries than our stalwarts suddenly forgetting how to play. Or how to win. Or, perhaps most importantly, to improve their bodies and their games.

I prefer to chalk all the noise up to the buildup to the season.

If & when I worry, I worry that the coaches -- faced with the best collections of athletes ever -- can figure out how to make the best of a situation they have never seen in their lives.

roxdoc
10-27-2007, 03:31 PM
One thing to remember was that Matt played PG in the scrimmage - not SG. I personally got the feeling that both PGs (the other side had Pargo) were trying (perhaps told) to feed the other players first, esp the newbies first. Last night neither PG was a scoring machine. I thought Matt had some good passes and handled the ball well at point. Have not seen any closed practices, but Matt's play last night does not tell me anything about his stage of improvement.

sittingon50
10-27-2007, 03:36 PM
gam: Stepp played more as a Frosh.

BZ: Perhaps his shoulder injury from earlier is the culprit.

J-Mac Zag Forever
10-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Bouldin Had 6 Assist Last Nite. Wooowwwwww

Nevtelen
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
One thing to remember was that Matt played PG in the scrimmage - not SG. I personally got the feeling that both PGs (the other side had Pargo) were trying (perhaps told) to feed the other players first, esp the newbies first. Last night neither PG was a scoring machine. I thought Matt had some good passes and handled the ball well at point. Have not seen any closed practices, but Matt's play last night does not tell me anything about his stage of improvement.

I do agree with that - he is improved physically in terms of strength and speed, that is pretty clear. His shot was pretty off last night, as were several players' shots in the first half. His passing was as good as ever, or better. His ability to drive seemed as good or better. I obviously haven't seen anything beyond last night like BZ has and it's tough to judge on just one scrimmage. But BZ is definitely right - Bouldin does have to get his shot in order whatever that takes or he'll see his minutes reduced I'm sure. And he better get comfortable soon, because he'll not only have to hit from 19.9 this year, but also after the line moves back next year.

AnonyMoose
10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
About Bouldin. I think he is trying to regain his stroke after gaining so much bulk. If you saw him in high school (a relative taught him at his school in Colo) he was money and he was way less big. I think we might see a Pendo transition here. David was a bigtime scorer in high school and what happened when he got here? He bulked up and became a scrapper. I have hopes that Matt will get better, and remember it was just a scrimmage game, in which he tried to give himself a wedgie.

Rubbadub
10-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Matt does a lot of things better than P-go, like not playing the clown and foolishly jumping over a teammate's head for a dunk...how cd Few have let that happen? Is that GU basketball? Win something first Jeremy, before you prance around like an NFL defensive back......

lol. :lmao:

dim4sum
10-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with the suggestion about 500 shots a day. Add to that, out of the weight room and onto the track. The extra speed and agility will enable him to take it to the hoop or kick it back to a more predictable 3-point shooter like Downs.

cggonzaga
10-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Completely disagree about Bouldin. He looked like a veteran on a team of young players. Very calm, cool and collected. His ability to distribute the ball is the best on the team. Whether it's an entry pass into the post or a drive to the hoop, he has great vision. We do not need our shooting guard averaging around 20ppg as that scoring and outside shooting will come from Downs, Gray and Daye. Besides Bouldin's shot, his overall game is the best on the team. He has absolutely nothing to worry about in my mind as far as losing playing time. He does need to refine his shot and he does need to finish a little better but let's not forget he's only a sophomore. I'm excited for the year he's going to have and I agree this kind of judgement shouldn't be made after a "scrimmage".

Jazz, the best part about Pargo doing that dunk came from the dunk before where he pulled up lame like he hurt himself. Had Few shaken his head on the sideline.

I do agree about point 2. We are huge, strong and athletic in the post and Josh wasn't even playing. Those guys bang every time down the court. I could see us leading the nation in rebounding because all of the guys (guards and forwards included) go hard for the boards. We should block a good chunk of shots as well.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I was at the event and don't understand the criticism of Bouldin after a ratty intraquad scrimmage

JLGutrocks
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM

It seems as if Few has always run a 2 PG system where they're both expected to score. Yes, one brings it up more often, but scoring presence is not (seemingly) sacrificed for superiorty at distribution. Look at at all of our 2 PG sets in the last 10 yrs.

Can't wait for the latter of the Gibbs, Goodson yrs.

JL

Butler Guy
10-28-2007, 05:55 AM
you all are talking about how a team can game plan to defeat Gonzaga. Without depth at the point guard position, if Pargo gets into foul trouble a player who probably should be playing the 3 assumes the role of the pg. If I were Coach Few I would do whatever I could to have JP play off the ball on defense (zone might be necessary) because Pargo with 2 quick fouls in the first half is likely the death knell for the Zags in a given game.

roxdoc
10-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Yes, it would be good for Bouldin to work on his shot a little more, but really Bouldin can take care of point just fine. Maybe loose a little in the scoring department (maybe not) but I think we have the offense covered. Don't think we have to "protect" Pargo. We have two point guards.

FuManShoes
10-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I agree with RoxDoc. The team has two competent PGs and several other guys who can handle the rock in a pinch - Downs, Pendo, LG, and now Gray and Daye. Now, it still hurts that the Zags don't have a "true" back-up PG (Does Wazzu?), but in this system that seems less important. What's more important is that the Zags start using their atleticism to guard the perimeter and abandon the defense of last resort / pack the lane Ds of yore.

BobZag
10-28-2007, 10:31 AM
who can't shoot the three. On most levels, I'd sacrifice playmaking ability to shooting ability. When I look at a guy like Andre Miller, I see a good playmaker and a terrible shooter. His problem has always been that guys could sag off him and play to the pass. He's sacrificing not only the 3 or 4 feet on the perimeter, but the extra point which makes the defender really pay.

Ka-Ching! That's why I still consider Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp to be the best PGs we've had during this run. I think Gibbs will follow suit.

jazzdelmar
10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
BZ: I consider Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp to be the best PGs

CDC84
10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Good points Mal, as usual....

dim4sum
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
To quote my father:
"What's all this PG vs. SG stuff. In my day there were two guards, two forwards and a center. Let's get back to that, instead of trying to make a simple game complicated."

AnonyMoose
10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I already asked for them to bring back the short shorts, get rid of the three point arc and the three in the key.

Robzagnut
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
>"What's all this PG vs. SG stuff. In my day there were two guards, two forwards and a center. Let's get back to that, instead of trying to make a simple game complicated."

Does your father still watch a black & white TV? Does he still use a rotary phone, 8 track tapes and a typewriter?

Sports just like technology evolves. You can't go back to the old days, because you will get left behind. A coach that keeps it simple, loses and gets replaced.

Reborn
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
resembles the Roadrunner. Peep...peep...and he's gone. A player who can leave his defender in his dust and take it to the rack and throw it down, or dish inside for a slammer.

I like a point guard who has a runner in the lane. I like a point guard who can also shoot the 3 when needed by him (occasional). I like a point guard who plays like Jeremy Pargo....Pargo is my man!!! (and my grandson's too).

Pargo was pretty darn good last year. This year he will be very good. And next year (if he stays) he will be great and in my opinion, the 2nd best point guard ever to play at GU outside of John Stockton.

Last year defenders really had a difficult time guarding Jeremy, and especially when Josh was still playing. When Josh left, we had no one inside who could score, and thus, defending Bigs just merely plugged the middle on Pargo.

I like a point guard who is exciting and has passion for the game. That's Jeremy Pargo folks. The difference between Pargo last year and his Freshman year was unbelievable...You talk about a jump. And I believe we will see an even greater leap this year.

I liked Santangelo a lot as well. Dickau was certainly a great score, and first team all American. Pargo is not in their cut, but he certainly has a mold. He is the most exciting point guard to play the game since Darren Davis, and I see a lot of Davis in Pargo. My biggest anticipation right now as I wait for the season to start is to see how much Pargo has improved....and of course I'm waiting to see him throw a few down over BIG guys. This kid is FEARLESS.

Last year was DRAV's team. Pargo played second fiddle. Could this be Pargo's team this year? I'm anxious to see who steps out.

Oahuzag
10-31-2007, 05:11 PM
"He is the most exciting point guard to play the game since Darren Davis, and I see a lot of Davis in Pargo. My biggest anticipation right now as I wait for the season to start is to see how much Pargo has improved...."

Reborn, are you referring to Baron Davis? I can't recall a Darren Davis. Those UCLA teams he played on were pretty horribly coached, and I think we have imho, a team that will gell much better than those teams.

That said, I agree with you that their athleticism and size are similar (even though I still give the edge to B Diddy because he is simply ridiculous at times). Pargo will, however, definitely give us reason to jump out of our seats this year.

What REALLY needs to happen with Pargo and Bouldin in order for this talented team to meet lofty expectations is this: Cut down on the turnovers!!! If we take care of the ball in the half court and on the fast break, with our depth and athleticism, we are a top 5 team in the nation, hands down.

If our starting 5 looks like this:

C: Heytvelt
PF: Pendo
SF: Downs
SG: Bouldin
PG: Pargo

Then that is 4 players that can hit the 3 pretty consistently. We can spread em out and give them whatever. Drive or pop it in their eye. As long as we don't turn the ball over, we can play with anyone.

LETS GET THIS SEASON STARTED ALREADY