PDA

View Full Version : Post game analysis Gonzaga vs PortLand

Reborn
01-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Gonzaga 95
Portland 79

I very good game by the Zags. It was great to see Kispert play so well, and he played just as I hoped he would, by driving more to the basket. Kispert scored 23 points off the bench. Career high. He also made 3 three point shots, but did shoot ten so 30% is still not that good. Zags shot 55% for the game, which is very good, especially when you consider how aweful the subs were at the end of the game, especially Jones. This game should really help Kispert's confidence. He can really drive to the basket. I'm so glad he's utilizing his athleticism. The kid is so muscular and strong. He created 2 or 3 "and one's" by driving to the basket. He also shot much better from the line.He shot 4-5 from the line. And to top it all off he grabbed ten rebounds to lead the team in rebounds. I'm sure this was his first collegiate double-double.

Tillie was so good tonight, scoring and tying his career high 27 points. He was simply unstoppable. He scored in every way you could think of. He had a couple monster dunks. Again I loved the passing tonight. Zags had 19 assists. Melson and Perkins both had nice games, Melson getting 13 and Perk 11.

The referees were absolutely horrible. Potland shot 34 foul shots. Refs called a foul on Gonzaga in the second half almost every time Portland had the ball. Honestly, it was really a boring game because of the number of foul shots. Give Portland credit. They're a real good foul-shooting team as they made 28 of those 34 shots/

I did not see Few play Norvell at the point, nor as a combo guard. I did see Melson miss almost every shot going to the basket. I don't like to see it either. I also don't see him making the number of assists that Norvell makes. Melson got 6 assists tonight. I didn't see that though. And I saw Norvell make more than two assists. O well. A good game for the Zags!!! I like the chemistry, and cohesion. Lots of good passing.

Go Zags!!!

allnet59
01-25-2018, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Reborn;1354430]Gonzaga 95
Portland 79

I very good game by the Zags. It was great to see Kispert play so well, and he played just as I hoped he would, by driving more to the basket. Kispert scored 23 points off the bench. Career high. He also made 3 three point shots, but did shoot ten so 30% is still not that good. Zags shot 55% for the game, which is very good, especially when you consider how aweful the subs were at the end of the game, especially Jones. This game should really help Kispert's confidence. He can really drive to the basket. I'm so glad he's utilizing his athleticism. The kid is so muscular and strong. He created 2 or 3 "and one's" by driving to the basket. He also shot much better from the line.He shot 4-5 from the line. And to top it all off he grabbed ten rebounds to lead the team in rebounds. I'm sure this was his first collegiate double-double.

Tillie was so good tonight, scoring and tying his career high 27 points. He was simply unstoppable. He scored in every way you could think of. He had a couple monster dunks. Again I loved the passing tonight. Zags had 19 assists. Melson and Perkins both had nice games, Melson getting 13 and Perk 11.

The referees were absolutely horrible. Potland shot 34 foul shots. Refs called a foul on Gonzaga in the second half almost every time Portland had the ball. Honestly, it was really a boring game because of the number of foul shots. Give Portland credit. They're a real good foul-shooting team as they made 28 of those 34 shots/

I did not see Few play Norvell at the point, nor as a combo guard. I did see Melson miss almost every shot going to the basket. I don't like to see it either. I also don't see him making the number of assists that Norvell makes. Melson got 6 assists tonight. I didn't see that though. And I saw Norvell make more than two assists. O well. A good game for the Zags!!! I like the chemistry, and cohesion. Lots of good passing.

Go Zags!!![/QUOTE
Sad the at our guards can't seem to finish around the rim this season.

Sound Voltex
01-25-2018, 11:03 PM
Japanese fans were probably a bit disappointed in Rui tonight than usual. Lots of early turnovers, not a whole lot of other action.

@Skimhvn たぶんもう一度タヒロウを遊ぶから、今夜八村はちょっとドキドキ思ったか?ww
(Maybe because he's playing Tahirou again, do you think Hachimura was a bit too excited tonight? Haha)

MDABE80
01-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Rui's a great player! A bad game here and there is expected.
Considering the opposition, Zags played well....not great but enough to win. Our guards seem to be "key averse" this season. It's big part of the game. Hope that changes.

Skimhvn
01-25-2018, 11:31 PM
Japanese fans were probably a bit disappointed in Rui tonight than usual. Lots of early turnovers, not a whole lot of other action.

@Skimhvn たぶんもう一度タヒロウを遊ぶから、今夜八村はちょっとドキドキ思ったか?ww
(Maybe because he's playing Tahirou again, do you think Hachimura was a bit too excited tonight? Haha)

If Rui isn't good, then I expected Tahirou would explode lol.

TexasZagFan
01-26-2018, 12:32 AM
I can imagine Portland dislikes the WCC schedule this year as much as we do. They get to play SMC at McKeon on Saturday.

TexasZagFan
01-26-2018, 12:34 AM
Rui's a great player! A bad game here and there is expected.
Considering the opposition, Zags played well....not great but enough to win. Our guards seem to be "key averse" this season. It's big part of the game. Hope that changes.

Good to see Corey take it to the hoop tonight. Looked like the entire team passed up open shots tonight, though I did like the aggressiveness with the alley oops.

First Academy Award goes to the Pilot who flopped on Rui.

billbow47
01-26-2018, 04:55 AM
It seemed apparent from the moment he entered the game, that Kispert was encouraged to shoot himself out of his slump. Brilliant move by coaches, if that was indeed the case. With 9:42 to go in the second half, Tillie made an incredible basket. A lob pass was a little to deep to KT, he tipped the ball from his left hand to his right hand and then, tipped the ball in with the right. If you have it recorded, take a look...amazing. Very good game from pretty much everyone but Rui. What I love most about this team is that we don't need a "go to guy." On any given day, this team has multiple GTG's.

Birddog
01-26-2018, 05:26 AM
It seemed apparent from the moment he entered the game, that Kispert was encouraged to shoot himself out of his slump. Brilliant move by coaches, if that was indeed the case. With 9:42 to go in the second half, Tillie made an incredible basket. A lob pass was a little to deep to KT, he tipped the ball from his left hand to his right hand and then, tipped the ball in with the right. If you have it recorded, take a look...amazing. Very good game from pretty much everyone but Rui. What I love most about this team is that we don't need a "go to guy." On any given day, this team has multiple GTG's.

Yep, it was kind of like he gave himself an assist, very athletic.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2018, 06:16 AM
It seems like the staff did some tinkering last night and were trying to get a few guys right against an easier opponent. I really think Tillie should be the focal point of the offense or run action off of JW3 for Tillie because he is typically more of a mismatch at his position. He also tends to disappear when he’s not involved. JW3 has a good motor and should keep contributing.

I also think Norvell and Kispert should try to jump start their games by taking the ball to the hoop before jacking up 3’s. Both seem to shoot better after they see the ball go in the hoop. They are probably the two best players at putting foul pressure on the other team.

Larsen did look a little slower this game than in the past. The theory that is hurt is growing on me.

Rui had a bad game but I’m not concerned. His physicality didn’t play well tonight with the tight refs.

Just a few thoughts.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 06:25 AM
Tils played like we envisioned preseason: the best player on the court, all but unstoppable. Seems like the three "frosh" are never clicking at the same time. That's OK for now but in the future I'd love to see all 3 wheels -- CK, ZN and Rui -- rolling in tandem. Must be a hoot for Coach Porter to have 2 boys out there, and pretty decent at that. Only negative was Jacob, who looked hurt or tired or just not ready for prime time.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2018, 07:19 AM

I was surprised they didn’t highlight that play more. It’s worth taking a second look at the Zags after that play :)

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 07:31 AM
I was surprised they didn’t highlight that play more. It’s worth taking a second look at the Zags after that play :)

An NBA play.

beaverzag
01-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Really enjoyed seeing the Zags in person last night. Very good Zag crowd. Impressed with KT, Norvell, and Kispert. I was surprised at what a non-factor JW3 has become, especially on offense. Had a great time at the alumni pre-function.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2018, 08:13 AM
An NBA play.

Agreed.

When he gets it going he’s so enjoyable to watch.

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Really enjoyed seeing the Zags in person last night. Very good Zag crowd. Impressed with KT, Norvell, and Kispert. I was surprised at what a non-factor JW3 has become, especially on offense. Had a great time at the alumni pre-function.

I personally think he intentionally took a back seat to help his teammates get some things figured out.

It’s cool you got to see them live. I have to travel to see them and a visit to Portland would be a neat way to do it.

john montana
01-26-2018, 08:19 AM
The team is way better offensively when we don't default into "drop the ball to JW3 on the block" mode. Cut, move, pass, screen...get lots of action going and our offense is pretty tough to deal with. Dump it to the low block and trying to play off of the double team isn't a good look for this particular group.

23dpg
01-26-2018, 09:03 AM
JWill was playing team ball last night.

Early in the second half, with only one shot attempt so far, he received a pass on the low block. Instead of forcing up a shot to get his numbers up, he passed the ball to a cutting Tillie for an easy layup.

Zagceo
01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Tillie filled the stat sheet.....11-14 fg.... 7 rebs...2 A...2 BLK.. 2 S...and 0 turnovers in 30 minutes of play

team needs to make sure this Tillie doesn't slip into witness protection for another 2 weeks

MontanaCoyote
01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Reborn;1354430]Gonzaga 95
Portland 79

Go Zags!!![/QUOTE
Sad the at our guards can't seem to finish around the rim this season.

Seems to me that they're all kind of dis-ca-boba-lated by the time they get there. Not too many really clean paths in. Fighting through traffic a little to much?

former1dog
01-26-2018, 09:17 AM
The team is way better offensively when we don't default into "drop the ball to JW3 on the block" mode. Cut, move, pass, screen...get lots of action going and our offense is pretty tough to deal with. Dump it to the low block and trying to play off of the double team isn't a good look for this particular group.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they have decided to finally discard the notion that they can play through JWIII like they did with Karnowski last year. It was delightful to see JWIII making the quick pass out of the block rather than dribbling for 20 seconds and turning the ball over vs a triple team.

Skimhvn
01-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Waste of time, just boring. No meaning stats against many trash teams.

MontanaCoyote
01-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Tillie filled the stat sheet.....11-14 fg.... 7 rebs...2 A...2 BLK.. 2 S...and 0 turnovers in 30 minutes of play

team needs to make sure this Tillie doesn't slip into witness protection for another 2 weeks

Right! What could we predict for the Zag's the rest of the way if we knew Tillie would show up for every game like he did last night? Then, throw in Kispert. Whoa!

Zagger
01-26-2018, 09:30 AM

+1 :)

hooter73
01-26-2018, 09:44 AM
I just want to see these types of performances against real competition. Until then, its just the varsity team picking on the middleschoolers.

Kispert, Tillie, Norvell, and Rui all playing well at the same time would make us a heck of a force, but they just never seem to all be on at the same time, and thats because those four are all relatively inexperienced. Melson and Perkins even on their off nights are proven to be what they are and are reliable in that, but its those freshmen and sophomores that are the ones who can break a game open. They aren't at the point where they can be the difference makers in a tight game, experience is the difference in a tight game, but if everyone was 'on' all at once, it wouldn't be a tight game with nearly any team in the nation. Larsen shouldn't be playing if he is hurt. We dont need him to. Wade, I just dont know and dont think anyone else does either.

hooter73
01-26-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic that they have decided to finally discard the notion that they can play through JWIII like they did with Karnowski last year. It was delightful to see JWIII making the quick pass out of the block rather than dribbling for 20 seconds and turning the ball over vs a triple team.

THIS

at least it had better be the case by this point or else we go no where. But Im willing to bet we will default to it again in another tight game and see similar results.

former1dog
01-26-2018, 09:49 AM
THIS

at least it had better be the case by this point or else we go no where. But Im willing to bet we will default to it again in another tight game and see similar results.

Hope not. JW3 is a much better as a complimentary player rather than the focal point, option A for the offense.

That said, I think Tillie can be the focal point of the offense and it looks to a degree that that was what was happening last night. Rui is also good in this role, but I think Tillie has a little better court vision. Both are better passers than JW3 and can handle being option A better, IMHO.

Kicking out to a reinvigorated Kispert who has decided he can now drive it rather than just shoot it really helps also.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Agree, but it will never change.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Nope.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Waste of time, just boring. No meaning stats against many trash teams.

Insightful in any language. Arrigato.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 10:23 AM
I just want to see these types of performances against real competition. Until then, its just the varsity team picking on the middleschoolers.

Kispert, Tillie, Norvell, and Rui all playing well at the same time would make us a heck of a force, but they just never seem to all be on at the same time, and thats because those four are all relatively inexperienced. Melson and Perkins even on their off nights are proven to be what they are and are reliable in that, but its those freshmen and sophomores that are the ones who can break a game open. They aren't at the point where they can be the difference makers in a tight game, experience is the difference in a tight game, but if everyone was 'on' all at once, it wouldn't be a tight game with nearly any team in the nation. Larsen shouldn't be playing if he is hurt. We dont need him to. Wade, I just dont know and dont think anyone else does either.

Wade looked like the middleschooler in his brief minutes.

john montana
01-26-2018, 10:29 AM

This seems a little harsh...though I agree he seems over matched. I'm not sure he is going to be able to compete defensively as he is pretty small and not overly strong or quick. Hopefully he can shoot himself into a firm roster spot.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 10:45 AM
This seems a little harsh...though I agree he seems over matched. I'm not sure he is going to be able to compete defensively as he is pretty small and not overly strong or quick. Hopefully he can shoot himself into a firm roster spot.

But other than that, he's OK :)

hooter73
01-26-2018, 11:02 AM

The kid was a state player of the year, mentioned - briefly - in AA conversations, even with the two years away and the shoulder injury, something just doesn't make sense to me.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 11:11 AM
The kid was a state player of the year, mentioned - briefly - in AA conversations, even with the two years away and the shoulder injury, something just doesn't make sense to me.

I thought you were going somewhere with that well informed line of thought. It happens, kids get over recruited. It was Utah and even BYU wasn't interested; there's one clue. There are plenty of low rent D1s where he could contribute. Lower than the WCC however. I don't see him playing at any of the weak sisters of the poor, do you?

Spokaneer
01-26-2018, 11:35 AM
With 9:42 to go in the second half, Tillie made an incredible basket. A lob pass was a little to deep to KT, he tipped the ball from his left hand to his right hand and then, tipped the ball in with the right. If you have it recorded, take a look...amazing.[/QUOTE]

Great play! It was one of those “did I just see what I thought I saw” moments. Something I’d never seen in a game before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblahla
01-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Geez...get off Wade, he's a gamer but there is little room for him on the floor this year and it's his first year back and he has had the shoulder issue....I remember all the crap spewed about Hart and Stocks....I bought in on both at Kraziness their first year....it took most of you 3 years to wise up and some never did on Stocks....Wade is a baller and he has time to develop...he may or may not get there but now is not the time to throw stones in his direction...where he came from he was "Da Man", he knowingly takes a back seat when on the court for the Zags....the kid is a scorer but it's not his time or turn...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
01-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Geez...get off Wade, he's a gamer but there is little room for him on the floor this year and it's his first year back and he has had the shoulder issue....I remember all the crap spewed about Hart and Stocks....I bought in on both at Kraziness their first year....it took most of you 3 years to wise up and some never did on Stocks....Wade is a baller and he has time to develop...he may or may not get there but now is not the time to throw stones in his direction...where he came from he was "Da Man", he knowingly takes a back seat when on the court for the Zags....the kid is a scorer but it's not his time or turn...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

could be right....

as I recall Hart and DS were walk on's...not so much anticipation is all

Zagdawg
01-26-2018, 11:51 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/25/gonzaga-huddles-with-former-zag-zach-collins-after/

Skimhvn
01-26-2018, 11:57 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/25/gonzaga-huddles-with-former-zag-zach-collins-after/

Arrogant Rui lol.https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/01/25/26864328_319101711936119_4731645228098781184_n_VPy qkDE_t1170.jpg

U Zig, I Zag
01-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Portland isn't the best gauge, but we looked good I thought. Great shooting.

It's clear to me:

1) Everything in motion. Abandon the back to the basket 1:1 play unless it's apparent it's going to work. JW3 needs to just let it come to him and I think we saw that last night.
2) Josh doesn't need to score to be at his best, but it helps. His best shot may just be shooting over a screen (at any distance).
3) Best attribute of this team is depth offensively. I think we lose some games if the bench shortens. Plug some guys in and if someone is hitting, keep them in.
4) Kispert looks a bit better, maybe the ankle was more of a problem than was let on. He is masterful at using his upper body going at the rim and that's what he needs to do to get going. Same with Norvell.

hooter73
01-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Oh dont get me wrong, I've very much been a Wade supporter and figure he'll have a stockton-esque career here, I just really think he's been either mis-used, mis-handled or mis-something for what we're seeing of him. If he's that hurt and or rusty, a redshirt should have been discussed, and maybe it was, we dont know. If he just needs some time to get it back, there have been a ton of games when he could have gone in, made some growth and some errors where it wouldn't have been critical of the outcome and then he would be that much farther along, yet he gets seconds, not minutes. Just something doesn't seem to be geling with the situation.

MDABE80
01-26-2018, 02:27 PM
Collins joined for the photo in PDX. Nice! One thing though. We just let an 8-14 team put up 79 points on us. Was there defense? Couldn't be much to have that happen. Everyone's happy with the offense, but what about the DEFENSE?? We'll need to do better. I do not care what KenPom statistically calculates.......we just look too damned porous!

jazzdelmar
01-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Z-bo sure looks good in that pic with those guys. As if .....

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-26-2018, 02:36 PM

+1000

Hoopaholic
01-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Collins joined for the photo in PDX. Nice! One thing though. We just let an 8-14 team put up 79 points on us. Was there defense? Couldn't be much to have that happen. Everyone's happy with the offense, but what about the DEFENSE?? We'll need to do better. I do not care what KenPom statistically calculates.......we just look too damned porous!

With all due respect starters held them to 59...the last 20 points occurred against bench last 5 minutes of game

I am certain if starters were left in the scoring outcome would not have been 79

In essence starters held Portland to 30 points in each half...not exactly porous in my book

JPtheBeasta
01-26-2018, 03:11 PM
With all due respect starters held them to 59...the last 20 points occurred against bench last 5 minutes of game

I am certain if starters were left in the scoring outcome would not have been 79

In essence starters held Portland to 30 points in each half...not exactly porous in my book

Plus a plethora of fouls to put Portland on the line....

MDABE80
01-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Go look at the scoring tempo on ESPN.......that tells the tale.

Hoopster because I'm such a thorough fellow, I provide it for your perusal;)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986895

Hoopaholic
01-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks but it proves my point. Several plateaus of no scoring for minutes at a time and then straight climb when game over and bench, walk on playing

jake
01-26-2018, 04:43 PM

What I see there is a spike in Portland's rate of scoring with just under 6 mintues left and the score at 90-62. Their scoring tempo is pretty consistent up to that point. Gonzaga had 82 points with 8:52 left in the game, pace for about 105 for 40 minutes. Different games have different tempos. I understand the point on defense, but personally I don't have any problem with our defense and giving up 79 in this one when you consider how it happened and game flow. Portland put up 19 in the last 6:07, from a position of being down 28, or put another way 24% of their points in the last 15% of the game when they were down almost 30.

VinnyZag
01-26-2018, 06:07 PM
I thought while watching the game that the defense was pretty bad, and the stats bear that out (1.07 points per possession (https://kenpom.com/box.php?g=3653)).

bballbeachbum
01-26-2018, 06:16 PM
agree with johnmontana, and was happy to see Josh log only 32 minutes and for Corey to play some ball; must have felt great to him to break out after the high ankle sprain, those really suck.
KT plays like this in the big games and got to like the Zags chances. Learned on the game thread from Goshzagit that KT has an interesting two week cycle thing going on so I'm psyched to see how he plays Saturday and if he can stack up another performance like yesterday