PDA

View Full Version : Joey Brackets:1/25/18--Zags languish at a 6 seed.

MDABE80
01-25-2018, 11:21 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
SO is Creighton and SMC @ 7 seed.

Zags only move up if we go the distance and others don't/lose. With 10 games left in the regular season, we need to beat BYU twice and SMC once.

strikenowhere
01-25-2018, 11:24 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
SO is Creighton and SMC @ 7 seed.

Zags only move up if we go the distance and others don't/lose. With 10 games left in the regular season, we need to beat BYU twice and SMC once.

No chance for a protected seed now.

IowaSERE
01-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Zags VS OK would be fun.

Markburn1
01-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Zags VS OK would be fun.

Fun for who???

I don't care to relive Dayton and Curry, do you?

thespywhozaggedme
01-25-2018, 12:03 PM
The fact that he has Kentucky has a 5 seed directly above us is a joke. Serious bcs bias. Kentucky is terrible this year.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2018, 12:03 PM
ata boy Joey

give Witchita a six seed but put them in their backyard.....nice

fun but still ways to go and we can control our destiny by winning is bottom line

Houston is a tough one watched three of their games so far......rather impressed

sittingon50
01-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Oklahoma in Dallas?

With apologies to TZF.....PASS.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2018, 12:09 PM
This is the year to beat a much lower seed. A la Wichita.

23dpg
01-25-2018, 12:14 PM

That statement is absolutely incorrect. I think the odds are certainly below 50%, but if the Zags win out or maybe lose just one more game, they'll be in the conversation.

gonstu
01-25-2018, 01:08 PM
6 seed would be fine. Just get in and see what happens. Since no boise - maybe they come to San Diego again :)

TexasZagFan
01-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Oklahoma in Dallas?

With apologies to TZF.....PASS.

No problem...there's a heckuva lot more OU fans in the Metroplex than Zag fans.

tinfoilzag
01-25-2018, 01:46 PM

There was no chance for a protected seed after the SDSU loss.

The problem with not having obvious top 10 teams this year is that people don't have standards for measurement. In the absence of good metrics, people rely on traditional performance and brands.

Much more than normal, I think we will have a rash of not good teams in the tourney this year based mostly on their name and conference.

sittingon50
01-25-2018, 02:08 PM
No problem...there's a heckuva lot more OU fans in the Metroplex than Zag fans.

And that's the reason.

Have seen plenty of Texas/Oklahoma football games played in Dallas over the years where the attendees seem 50/50.

I would be fine with Oklahoma somewhere else.

CDC84
01-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Still feel the Zags have a chance at a protected seed, but they have much work to do. Again, the 2003/04 Zags got a 2 seed with just one RPI top 50 win. GU has no bad losses. Three of the four losses were very close. Ohio State has the easiest path of any Big 10 contender, even after last night's loss, to win the Big 10. Plus Texas and Creighton are tournament teams according to Katz. I also wouldn't be shocked if North Dakota wins their league tourney. More importantly, GU is sitting at #7 at kenpom.com right now, and last season showed that the committee is relying upon sites like kenpom.com more than ever. If GU is in the top 10 at kenpom come Selection Sunday, they will be one of the top 16 seeds. And even then, there's no stopping the committee from placing GU at Taco Bell Arena in Boise as a 5 seed. Or even a 6. The west is not overflowing with great teams. There are subregional sites in Dallas and San Diego for some of the western teams like Arizona. They have to send teams to Boise.

I am more than happy with getting a six seed, and it's for the same reasons why I was happy getting an 11 a few years ago when Few took one of his worst teams to the sweet 16. In almost every NCAA tourney, there are one or two WEAK three seeds. And Gonzaga got one in Utah. They demolished them. And then the next advantage is that when you get to the S-16, you don't have to play the one seed until the elite 8.

kclubfounder
01-26-2018, 03:01 PM

I wish there was a way for me to bet you that IF we win out we would get a protected seed. I'd bet big money on that proposition. That being said, I give us about a 25% chance of winning out.

Additionally, if we lose one more time in the regular season (particularly if it is a close loss in a great game at SMC), but win the conference tournament convincingly, I'd still give us a decent chance at being a top 16 team and getting a protected seed.

krozman
01-26-2018, 03:56 PM
I understand why you would want to see the zags play closer to home, but this year is almost literally the time everyone can legitimately say "seeds don't matter." Everyone is losing everywhere, even at home to non ranked.