PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Crean picks Zags for FF

jazzdelmar
01-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Tom Crean picked Zags for final four on todayís PTI. Ugh, mentioned Rui by name as shooting 80% and leading the way. Also mentioned Josh.

bigblahla
01-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Tom Crean picked Zags for final four on today’s PTI. Ugh, mentioned Rui by name as shooting 80% and leading the way. Also mentioned Josh.

Yes he did.....wonder what he was drinking? ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Ezag
01-23-2018, 02:31 PM
They could go "all the way"....

jazzdelmar
01-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Yes he did.....wonder what he was drinking? ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

I’ll have what he was having. He was put in a corner by the hosts to pick a F4 field and when he said out west, I assumed he was going to say the divas from Tucson. But no, Clappy had to go and introduce the CBB world to Rui.

GoZags
01-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Tom Crean picked Zags for final four on today’s PTI. Ugh, mentioned Rui by name as shooting 80% and leading the way. Also mentioned Josh.

Doesn't he read this board? Can't he see all of the reasons the Zags don't deserve to be the #7 KenPom team in the nation? Or #8 BPI team in the nation? Or #9 Sagarin team in the nation?

Doesn't he get it?

MDABE80
01-23-2018, 02:54 PM
lol Apparently not GZ. But......if this team matures, we could go past the first weekend. Since the first 7 games of the season, we do not look like the worldbeaters we had last season. Further the better though. I'm still waiting for the "gel". Regrettably I don't think Josh will take this team deep. But if the shooting guns light up and the team figures out hard defense (not just the statistical defense), we could go "ALL THE WAY".:)

webspinnre
01-23-2018, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I could see everything coming together. As always, my minimum goal for a successful season is the Sweet 16.

RenoZag
01-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Maybe Crean will rui the day he picked the Zags to go to the FF. . .

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-23-2018, 03:44 PM
There is no truly dominant team this year... We get the right matchups and you never know.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Maybe Crean will rui the day he picked the Zags to go to the FF. . .

Nicely done, but I fear we will.

Robzagnut
01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
So you're saying... there's a chance?

raise the zag
01-23-2018, 03:55 PM
If we start playing to our obvious mis-matches and strengths vs talented teams, then we have a shot. Possibly Elite 8 even.

IF we continue to play players' out of their comfort zone, or forcing action, or because you trust said player more -- effective or not -- then we'll be bounced early; as early as opening round exit.

The gameplan crap we pulled vs SMC was utterly ridiculous. Thank goodness our effort/hustle level was on point, or we would have lost by much more. Our Coaches took the night off, and our PG was off his usual self.

rennis
01-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Maybe he has some insider info. and Brandon Clarke is eligible for the NCAA tournament games?

I kid.

MileHigh
01-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Tom Crean picked Zags for final four on todayís PTI. Ugh, mentioned Rui by name as shooting 80% and leading the way. Also mentioned Josh.

I'm hearing that Few and company have told Rui that his light has changed from amber to bright green. Look for his 7 shots per game average to go way up!

GrizZAG
01-23-2018, 04:27 PM
What has to happen to get there;

Larsen needs to ramp it up in defending big men
We need to hit tons of threes...especially CK, i.e., 45% clip
Need to figure out how to plug into Rui consistently to capitalize on his uber talent
Need a true floor general to emerge
Figure out why we are getting torched by the 3 ball and fix it (play tighter on spacing)
Get JWIII to play better inside out game when clogged up and quit forcing it so much
Improve JWIII free throw shooting
Win a ton of games including the tough conference games

That should get us close

MontanaCoyote
01-23-2018, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1353973]lol Apparently not GZ. But......if this team matures, we could go past the first weekend. Since the first 7 games of the season, we do not look like the worldbeaters we had last season. Further the better though. I'm still waiting for the "gel". Regrettably I don't think Josh will take this team deep. But if the shooting guns light up and the team figures out hard defense (not just the statistical defense), we could go "ALL THE WAY".:)[/QUOTE

Hope for the best, but I think the best is likely to be until a match up puts us up against a team that can score freely by penetrating the key with their guards and wings. We just don't have a Shemmick or Collins to prevent that and I don't see how it can be done without players like them. That match up could come on the first weekend or the last. Like I said,
hoping for the best............match up's.

cggonzaga
01-23-2018, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1353973]lol Apparently not GZ. But......if this team matures, we could go past the first weekend. Since the first 7 games of the season, we do not look like the worldbeaters we had last season. Further the better though. I'm still waiting for the "gel". Regrettably I don't think Josh will take this team deep. But if the shooting guns light up and the team figures out hard defense (not just the statistical defense), we could go "ALL THE WAY".:)[/QUOTE

Hope for the best, but I think the best is likely to be until a match up puts us up against a team that can score freely by penetrating the key with their guards and wings. We just don't have a Shemmick or Collins to prevent that and I don't see how it can be done without players like them. That match up could come on the first weekend or the last. Like I said,
hoping for the best............match up's.

Just curious who you think has this around the country? Three I think of is Villanova, Florida and Ohio St. Didn’t fair too poorly against those teams.

strikenowhere
01-23-2018, 06:37 PM
What has to happen to get there;

Larsen needs to ramp it up in defending big men
We need to hit tons of threes...especially CK, i.e., 45% clip
Need to figure out how to plug into Rui consistently to capitalize on his uber talent
Need a true floor general to emerge
Figure out why we are getting torched by the 3 ball and fix it (play tighter on spacing)
Get JWIII to play better inside out game when clogged up and quit forcing it so much
Improve JWIII free throw shooting
Win a ton of games including the tough conference games

That should get us close

That is a lot of things that need to happen and they are already two-thirds of the way through the regular season...

GoZags
01-23-2018, 06:53 PM
That is a lot of things that need to happen and they are already two-thirds of the way through the regular season...

Yes ... in my opinion if Corey Kispert and Jacob Larsen get "close" to where they were before their injuries ... and if Rui continues to mature/excel ... then February and March (and ... per Tom Crean "April") has a chance to be a LOT more fun for Zag fans.

Hoopaholic
01-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Yes ... in my opinion if Corey Kispert and Jacob Larsen get "close" to where they were before their injuries ... and if Rui continues to mature/excel ... then February and March (and ... per Tom Crean "April") has a chance to be a LOT more fun for Zag fans.

I am so n complete agreement with your position with one caveat

Tille needs to bring energy consistently

krozman
01-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Zags need to play 5 min against each other as a warmup to see whos hot. So many of us average double figures and warm up just decides whos hot and whos not. Totally infallible strat there!

Zagceo
01-23-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm hearing that Few and company have told Rui that his light has changed from amber to bright green. Look for his 7 shots per game average to go way up!

Made my day....thanks

does increased minutes come with green light? starting?

if Rui can focus on shots free throw line extended....pump fakes will be hot seller

has one of the most beautiful effortless free throw actions...and just a ferocious finisher with those long arms.

Rui is also gaining massive confidence in his defense IMO.

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2018, 07:27 PM

kispert needs to be the sniper he was hyped up to be because right now he isn't contributing a whole lot otherwise...40%+ from deep would really give the zags a big boost off the bench. it would be great if larsen also picks it up, but don't think it's as important to zags success as having kispert step up.

CDC84
01-23-2018, 08:44 PM
So Jazz.....is Crean a better analyst in the studio or a better coach?? I know you aren't too fond of him as a coach. Needless to say, neither were the IU boosters (although I think they will eventually like what they have right now).

When it comes to coaching he should have never left Marquette. He might still be there. Then again, how often do you land a non-top 100 recruit named Dwyane Wade who single handedly guides you to the final four??

MileHigh
01-24-2018, 03:41 AM
Made my day....thanks

does increased minutes come with green light? starting?

if Rui can focus on shots free throw line extended....pump fakes will be hot seller

has one of the most beautiful effortless free throw actions...and just a ferocious finisher with those long arms.

Rui is also gaining massive confidence in his defense IMO.

He wont start, but when he is in the game, he has been told to look for his shot more and to go ahead and create offense for himself outside the normal offense.

in other words, he has been given the green light similar to what Wiltjer and Goss had in past years

jazzdelmar
01-24-2018, 04:00 AM
So Jazz.....is Crean a better analyst in the studio or a better coach?? I know you aren't too fond of him as a coach. Needless to say, neither were the IU boosters (although I think they will eventually like what they have right now).

When it comes to coaching he should have never left Marquette. He might still be there. Then again, how often do you land a non-top 100 recruit named Dwyane Wade who single handedly guides you to the final four??

Right, not a fan of his as a coach. Not so much his results, which were above average, but his deportment on the sideline. Always frowning, rushing up and down, mimicking his players' movements on the court, sniping at the refs. But he's a pretty good color man. Very well informed, a rarity these days with ESPN's junior varsity on the mic. I was impressed with his interview by Bert and Ernie yesterday when he uttered the "Rui" word.

Zagger
01-24-2018, 04:24 AM
One certainly has to wonder how far Rui's trajectory is going to reach. Rui's improvement this season is a joy to watch. Going forward, if our foes are distracted by Rui it'll mean more open shots for teammates - who are not bad shot makers. Just read a story about a short track speed skating gal from Ghana, Maame Biney, who'll represent the USA in the winter olympics. She reminded me of Rui when it comes to their smiles and in having a fun, go-for-it attitude. Rui could be the spark that ignites this bunch of Zags. I don't expect the Zags to make the FF but it would not greatly surprise me if they did. By March it may be very foolish for any opposing team to underestimate Gonzaga.

Skimhvn
01-24-2018, 04:38 AM
Rui should be able to pass when he is going on 1-on-1. It will make more easier for himself to score.

CarolinaZagFan
01-24-2018, 04:59 AM
Gotta make the tournament first.

Reborn
01-24-2018, 05:56 AM
I am thinking the one player who's kind of forgotten in this discussion is Norvell. He is becoming every bit of the player that Rui is, imo. He needs to get more shots, and get the ball in his hands more to direct the game. Norvell can do what none of the other guards can do, and that is attack the basket, score inside, and make assists to other players. His game against Santa Clara was a gem. Regarding Kispert. His role has changed, and he needs to accept it and still figure out to contribute more when he's in the game. He is another guard that can attack the basket off the dribble. He needs to do that more. He needs to begin to be the player that Melson was last year. I think he can do it too if he accepts his new role.

As for as Rui. You all know I've been a huge fan of his since I saw him play in FIBA last summer. It's been nice to see him getting to become the player he really his. He's beginning to shoot jumpers now and has been very accurate inside the 3 point line. He can shoot the 3 ball much better than he is. Few needs to encourage him to do so. Having a guy average 16 ppg coming off the bench is pretty good.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2018, 05:59 AM
I am thinking the one player who's kind of forgotten in this discussion is Norvell. He is becoming every bit of the player that Rui is, imo. He needs to get more shots, and get the ball in his hands more to direct the game. Norvell can do what none of the other guards can do, and that is attack the basket, score inside, and make assists to other players. His game against Santa Clara was a gem. Regarding Kispert. His role has changed, and he needs to accept it and still figure out to contribute more when he's in the game. He is another guard that can attack the basket off the dribble. He needs to do that more. He needs to begin to be the player that Melson was last year. I think he can do it too if he accepts his new role.

As for as Rui. You all know I've been a huge fan of his since I saw him play in FIBA last summer. It's been nice to see him getting to become the player he really his. He's beginning to shoot jumpers now and has been very accurate inside the 3 point line. He can shoot the 3 ball much better than he is. Few needs to encourage him to do so. Having a guy average 16 ppg coming off the bench is pretty good.

Agree, Bornie. Zags have 3 P5 level athletes/players: Tillie, Norvell and Rui, who are at various stages in their evolution (or devolution). As they go, ......

Reborn
01-24-2018, 06:09 AM
Agree, Bornie. Zags have 3 P5 level athletes/players: Tillie, Norvell and Rui, who are at various stages in their evolution (or devolution). As they go, ......

Totally agree on Tille. Sorry I missed mentioning him. He certainly has the offense. He has the same problem that Collins had last year, which is committing stupid fouls. I also feel that his defense has a long ways to go, especially when he's defending a good low post player. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of them, especially in the WCC, He's a good defender on the pick and roll vs the guards. He's quick.

GoZags
01-24-2018, 06:16 AM
Gotta make the tournament first.

Are you aware that this year the NCAA Selection Committee "officially" will look at (and have as part of the equation) KenPom (Zags #7), BPI (Zags #9) and Sagarin (Zags #10) in addition to RPI (Zags at about a billion)?

While nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag, making the tournament isn't one of my worries at the moment.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2018, 06:28 AM
Are you aware that this year the NCAA Selection Committee "officially" will look at (and have as part of the equation) KenPom (Zags #7), BPI (Zags #9) and Sagarin (Zags #10) in addition to RPI (Zags at about a billion)?

While nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag, making the tournament isn't one of my worries at the moment.

Maybe he's worried about Carolina? Both.

amaronizag
01-24-2018, 07:20 AM
I agree with Jazz. I called him "Creepy Crean." Couldn't stand to watch him coach. Creepy. But then I watched an hour long show about him that included lots of interview footage and I was shocked that I really liked him. Great guy and great human being, just creepy mannerisms and behavior on the sidelines when coaching. I kind of like him as a commentator and really like his picking the Zags as a FF team. Realistic? Well, anything is possible. All we can do is hope.

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2018, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1353985]

Just curious who you think has this around the country? Three I think of is Villanova, Florida and Ohio St. Didnít fair too poorly against those teams.

We got taken to the cleaners by Villanova. Those little SMC scooters went inside and did real damage. I don't know who's got a mountain in the middle and who doesn't other than we don't and won't unless Larsen turns into a Karno real quick.
Not counting on that, so what to do about defending the paint and rim protection? That's the question and the problem.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-24-2018, 07:38 AM
lol Apparently not GZ. But......if this team matures, we could go past the first weekend. Since the first 7 games of the season, we do not look like the worldbeaters we had last season. Further the better though. I'm still waiting for the "gel". Regrettably I don't think Josh will take this team deep. But if the shooting guns light up and the team figures out hard defense (not just the statistical defense), we could go "ALL THE WAY".:)

This team is certainly fun to watch, but "losing" Kispert has changed things. I think we are top 15 with CK, but top 35ish without him. This is why we are different since the first 7 games (Kispert went down in game 7).

That's not to say he's better than anyone else. We were just better and more versatile with a confident Corey in the rotation.

Roster is thin, so losing any rotation guy was going to hurt. When Kispert regains confidence, the "gel" will happen. Might happen anyway, but he will help a lot.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-24-2018, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1353985]

Just curious who you think has this around the country? Three I think of is Villanova, Florida and Ohio St. Didnít fair too poorly against those teams.

Kansas. They roll out a very big big then all guard/ wing types who dribble drive. They looked great vs Oklahoma in the first half last night.

CDC84
01-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Right, not a fan of his as a coach. Not so much his results, which were above average, but his deportment on the sideline. Always frowning, rushing up and down, mimicking his players' movements on the court, sniping at the refs. But he's a pretty good color man. Very well informed, a rarity these days with ESPN's junior varsity on the mic. I was impressed with his interview by Bert and Ernie yesterday when he uttered the "Rui" word.

True story: a Marquette fan once told me that Tom is so active on the sideline that he rubs the varnish off the floor around the coaching box.

That all being said, I don't think he's a bad guy (unlike some coaches in the profession). Just really weird on the sideline. His family and kids certainly didn't deserve the treatment they got at IU when he entered gyms to watch his kids play (the fans would chant things at him that he deserved for be fired. It's one thing for that to happen during an IU game he's coaching at, another when the guy is watching his kid play a game). I kind of felt bad for him. I know that coaches at IU are paid big bucks to take "the heat," but some boosters and fans need to know where to draw the line.

cggonzaga
01-24-2018, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1353989]

We got taken to the cleaners by Villanova. Those little SMC scooters went inside and did real damage. I don't know who's got a mountain in the middle and who doesn't other than we don't and won't unless Larsen turns into a Karno real quick.
Not counting on that, so what to do about defending the paint and rim protection? That's the question and the problem.

So far we’ve named 4 teams and played 3 of them. Lost in overtime to Florida, beat OSU and played very poorly against Villanova. I don’t think we’re any different than any other team regarding defending the dribble drive. You’re going to play good teams with different styles in March. You adapt or die. Wouldn’t worry about it too much.

MileHigh
01-24-2018, 11:17 AM

By P5 do you mean the 5 major conferences? If that is what you meant I would submit that all 7 Gonzaga rotation guys would see significant minutes at just about every P5 school out there, and would start at half those schools. Heck, Williams already played (and played well) at a P5 school.

Gonzaga IS a high major college program and Few has basically recruited at a high major level the last 3 or 4 years

Goshzagit
01-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Did he say why or provide more detail?

and did he proceed to talk about our 7' foot Polish monster in the middle, 7' Burger boy off the bench, All-PAC 12 sniper, and All-American PG?

OntZags
01-24-2018, 02:20 PM

Do you actually believe idiotic statements like this?

JW3 transferred from a P-5 school. He would see minutes on any team in the country.

Perkins chose Gonzaga over UCLA & Minnesota. Melson chose GU over Washington & Colorado. Kispert chose GU over Virginia & Notre Dame. I would bet you serious money Larssen would receive p-5 offers if he opted to transfer at this point.

The notion that those 3 are the only p-5 level players is completely false and delusional. They may not be star p-5 players but every guy could fit into the rotation on almost every p-5. (a few guys might not at certain schools this season but most are getting some time anywhere)

Now maybe you meant "blue blood" but blue blood /= P5. (and even then, most guys would still see minutes at blue bloods too. Kentucky has been playing Brad Calipari for goodness sakes. If you don't think Perkins or Melson would see serious at minutes at Kentucky this season you have totally lost touch with reality. )

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Do you actually believe idiotic statemetes like this?

JW3 transferred from a P-5 school. He would see minutes on any team in the country.

Perkins chose Gonzaga over UCLA & Minnesota. Melson chose GU over Washington & Colorado. Kispert chose GU over Virginia & Notre Dame. I would bet you serious money Larssen would receive p-5 offers if he opted to transfer at this point.

The notion that those 3 are the only p-5 level players is completely false and delusional. They may not be star p-5 players but every guy could fit into the rotation on almost every p-5. (a few guys might not at certain schools this season but most are getting some time anywhere)

Now maybe you meant "blue blood" but blue blood /= P5. (and even then, most guys would still see minutes)

Good post

OntZags
01-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Did he say why or provide more detail?

and did he proceed to talk about our 7' foot Polish monster in the middle, 7' Burger boy off the bench, All-PAC 12 sniper, and All-American PG?

lol, nope. Crean may be goofy but he's not uninformed.

He was raving about Rui coming into his own & shooting 80% in conference play and he likes Perkins a lot at the lead guard spot.

maynard g krebs
01-24-2018, 02:46 PM

Now maybe you meant "blue blood" but blue blood /= P5. (and even then, most guys would still see minutes at blue bloods too. Kentucky has been playing Brad Calipari for goodness sakes. If you don't think Perkins or Melson would see serious at minutes at Kentucky this season you have totally lost touch with reality. )

My long-time impression is that he's trolling to get people worked up and provoke posts like yours.

Zagger
01-24-2018, 03:27 PM
My long-time impression is that he's trolling to get people worked up and provoke posts like yours.

Nah .... ;)

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2018, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1354029][QUOTE=cggonzaga;1353989]

Not counting on that, so what to do about defending the paint and rim protection? That's the question and the problem.[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=cggonzaga;1354044][QUOTE=MontanaCoyote;1354029]

So far we’ve named 4 teams and played 3 of them. Lost in overtime to Florida, beat OSU and played very poorly against Villanova. I don’t think we’re any different than any other team regarding defending the dribble drive. You’re going to play good teams with different styles in March. You adapt or die. Wouldn’t worry about it too much.[/QUOTE

Right! Adapt or die. My question is how do we adapt? Can we adapt defending the dribble drive with the players we have? My only "answer" is the rapid development and utilization of Larsen.

Any other thoughts out there?

cggonzaga
01-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I just don’t see it as a problem Montana. We’ve been solid defending those types of teams. We’ve had a lapse against Villanova and a five minute lapse against SMC. SMC certainly didn’t take it to the hoop all game.

WallaWallaZag
01-24-2018, 07:43 PM
I just don’t see it as a problem Montana. We’ve been solid defending those types of teams. We’ve had a lapse against Villanova and a five minute lapse against SMC. SMC certainly didn’t take it to the hoop all game.

i'd be much more concerned about letting smc shoot 8-13 from three compared to any worries about give up dribble drive layups...

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2018, 08:00 PM
i'd be much more concerned about letting smc shoot 8-13 from three compared to any worries about give up dribble drive layups...

OK guys. That's over 3,000 expert posts to my 1,200 or so. Likely means means I'm wrong. Will still hope that Larsen keeps coming along. I think he could play a key role depending on match ups.

MDABE80
01-24-2018, 09:18 PM

God.......Kentucky is bad this year. and Calipari's son plays because he's his son. Some of our kids simply wouldn't work in a D1 P5 factory school. Maybe some lower half P5 schools . All around skills just arent' there in either of our starting guards sad to say. Silas I particular is a heartbreaker for me. Josh as a shooter is fine.......above average even. He's got another year to refine his game. I hope it happens for him.

I doubt Tillie would be on a high end P5 school as a starter. Some games yes but most no. J3? He's a great kid and yes to everything. Norvell? Probably because of his shooting and his potential. He tough though and he drives the key no matter who's waiting for him in there. Defense? Not so good so far.
Overall though, I'm not sure we're getting a true picture of any of these kids given the games we've seen. We've won pretty ugly in some games, we' lost pretty ugly too. Consistency is for Champs. We're just too erratic.
I'd love to have a major surprise in the last month and a half of the season..........It could happen. I'm an optimist when it comes to GU basketball.

DADoZAG
01-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Finally had a chance to rewatch last Thursday's game.

Check out the play at about 2:20 of the first half. The team that ran that play is NC good.

Check out that same team at 2:20 (or so) of the second.

J3 was gassed, and except for how Rui guarded Landale, the others on the floor were moving in slow motion on defense. They boys also scored only 3 points in the last, what, 4:38?

This team plays hard so needs all hands on deck, performing, all the way down the bench through Larson and JJ.

"Rui, just being Rui" won't be good enough.

But that play at 2:20 of the first half, wow.

Go ZAGS!