PDA

View Full Version : GU vs Portland - Predictions/What you hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Road edition...

What do you expect out of this game? Hope to see? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!

Skimhvn
01-22-2018, 10:42 AM
91-69
Hope Rui drops despair to #14Tahirou again:p

willandi
01-22-2018, 10:44 AM
92-68

the Big Dogs.

Zaga
01-22-2018, 10:45 AM
87-70 Gonzaga

stevet75
01-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Zags 91 Pilots 64

bigblahla
01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Zags....84 -64

Go!! Zags!!!

Zags11
01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Zags 87

Pilots 68

LongIslandZagFan
01-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Zags "woes" continue...

Zags 82
Pilots 75

Zagger
01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Zags 90, Pilots 65

Hope to see good shooting by GU while they work on O & D schemes.
At the rate Rui's going .... He could be high scorer on Thursday.

TexasZagFan
01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Zags "woes" continue...

Zags 82
Pilots 75

It's the Dog Days of the WCC for the Zags...an almost yearly occurrence. I fear the switch won't come back on for another 6 weeks (WCC tournament).

ZagsGoZags
01-22-2018, 04:55 PM
gu 93
pilots 68

Bocco
01-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Zags 83
Pilots 68

rennis
01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Kind of expecting them to stay in this mini-funk they're in right now.

GU 78
PDX 61

beaverzag
01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Zags destroy the outmanned Pilots at the Western Kennel, 103-76.

All Weather Fan
01-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Zags - 84
Pilots - 66

adoptedzag
01-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Road edition...

What do you expect out of this game? Hope to see? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!

I want them to cover the damn spread! :P

75Zag
01-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Since I spent $400 to buy 8 prime seats right behind the GU bench in Chiles Center I would like to see a hard-fought competitive game followed by a brilliant GU win at the buzzer, but I am expecting to see yet another snooze fest with GU blowing them out early in the 2nd half. Other than the traditionally very hot UP cheerleaders (I think they call them dancers) it is getting harder and harder to justify the time and money traveling the entire 5 miles from my house to the Bluff each year. But fortunately Chiles Center has very good data service, so I can use my phone to watch the end of the CAL v UCLA game or perhaps even the BYU at Saint Mary's Game when things get boring on Thursday night.

PS - I was picking up some pizza yesterday in advance of the Philadelphia NFL game (Go Eagles!) and I noticed that the pizza place was offering "Terry Porter" as one of their on-tap selections. Congrats to the UP coach on doing some cool and clever marketing. Hopefully his beer is better than his team.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Since I spent $400 to buy 8 prime seats right behind the GU bench in Chiles Center I would like to see a hard-fought competitive game followed by a brilliant GU win at the buzzer, but I am expecting to see yet another snooze fest with GU blowing them out early in the 2nd half. Other than the traditionally very hot UP cheerleaders (I think they call them dancers) it is getting harder and harder to justify the time and money traveling the entire 5 miles from my house to the Bluff each year. But fortunately Chiles Center has very good data service, so I can use my phone to watch the end of the CAL v UCLA game or perhaps even the BYU at Saint Mary's Game when things get boring on Thursday night.

PS - I was picking up some pizza yesterday in advance of the Philadelphia NFL game (Go Eagles!) and I noticed that the pizza place was offering "Terry Porter" as one of their on-tap selections. Congrats to the UP coach on doing some cool and clever marketing. Hopefully his beer is better than his team.

Go Bulldogs!

thank you

THE
DAY

amaronizag
01-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Gu 86- 65 Portland

roxdoc
01-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Less JIII as our "go to guy" in the game plan.

willandi
01-22-2018, 10:11 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Let us know about the Porter. I appreciate a good porter, even more than an IPA.

Sound Voltex
01-23-2018, 01:08 AM
PILOTS UPSET ZAGS THIS YEAR ON ESPN YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS (I can dream *sniffs*...)

Man, right when we start getting on a roll, we get the top two in the WCC one after the other. As someone else mentioned earlier, scheduling is really weird this year. We already faced USD twice and now we're facing you guys again before we've even played Pepperdine and St. Mary's once. I would've liked it to be more near at the end so we'd get more meaningful time to mature as a team with the lower tier teams. But hey, national TV exposure for a "scrub" team like us, can't complain I guess (and we get to watch the same Gonzaga/UP TV commercials they play every year)

91-69
Hope Rui drops despair to #14Tahirou again:p

違う、このゲームにタヒロウはもっと自信を持ってなる。(๑̀ㅂ́)و
(I disagree, Tahirou will have more confidence this game.)

Also I'm hoping someone will mention the Japan rivalry between Rui and Tahirou this game.

Also one of our redshirt freshmen (Hugh Hogland/Hiyuu Watanabe) just recently trained with FIBA Japanese national team which Rui is a part of I think. I hope they can possibly play together in the offseason.

Skimhvn
01-23-2018, 01:53 AM
PILOTS UPSET ZAGS THIS YEAR ON ESPN YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS (I can dream *sniffs*...)

Man, right when we start getting on a roll, we get the top two in the WCC one after the other. As someone else mentioned earlier, scheduling is really weird this year. We already faced USD twice and now we're facing you guys again before we've even played Pepperdine and St. Mary's once. I would've liked it to be more near at the end so we'd get more meaningful time to mature as a team with the lower tier teams. But hey, national TV exposure for a "scrub" team like us, can't complain I guess (and we get to watch the same Gonzaga/UP TV commercials they play every year)

違う、このゲームにタヒロウはもっと自信を持ってなる。(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و
(I disagree, Tahirou will have more confidence this game.)

Also I'm hoping someone will mention the Japan rivalry between Rui and Tahirou this game.

Also one of our redshirt freshmen (Hugh Hogland/Hiyuu Watanabe) just recently trained with FIBA Japanese national team which Rui is a part of I think. I hope they can possibly play together in the offseason.
I think Tahirou can be starter of many of the higher ranked colleges! He was one of the best international student.(Maybe the best was Maurice Ndour.)
Next year he would dominate portland offense.
Hugh should help our National team. Hope his height will be 6'10.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2018, 09:14 AM
89-71

GU69
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM
80-65

Not the blow out like in Spokane.
Still have things to work on, but they keep improving. I like the freshmen a lot.

PeninsulaDog
01-23-2018, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping to see my daughter (UP freshman) on TV.

RenoZag
01-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Zags 88
Pilots 72

BayAreaZagFan
01-23-2018, 03:03 PM
No blowout, but still an easy win for the good guys.

Zags - 82
PU - 68

jake
01-23-2018, 03:42 PM
86-66.

I'm hoping for a somewhat close game for the first half of the first half, Zags pulling away a little before halftime, and then blowing it open in the second half. UP keeping it close for a few minutes, adds a little excitement and energy to the crowd. If it's close after halftime, my stress level goes up too much.

MontanaCoyote
01-23-2018, 05:45 PM
No injuries, minimal penetration and scoring by Portland. Got to find a way to get that done without a mountain in there if we're going to happy dance.

zag67
01-23-2018, 06:26 PM
GU - 93 -67

CdAZagFan
01-23-2018, 07:25 PM
GU 78
UP 68

Reborn
01-24-2018, 08:13 AM
The games this weekend are very important to the Zags. I think they're more important than most are feeling. I think the Zags are in transition right now, as some of the roles I think are changing. At least I hope so. I think that Norvell needs to be the back-up point guard and play the two the rest of the game. This would allow Melson to play the 3 which he has played mostly since he's been at GU. This was a change that I saw in the second half against Santa Clara. Melson has had scoring woes in his last two outings, including St Mary's. He needs to score around 10 points, and I feel he has a better chance of doing this when he's playing the three.

We are now seeing Rui play the 3 more, and this seems to be working quite well. He presents a huge match-up problem for defenders when he's plays the three. I hope this continues.

I hope to see Kispert find his confidence on offense. He has scored 0 points in his last two outings, and vs St Mary's that hurt us. The Zags need points from Kispert, and imo they need at least 6 or 7 points from him. I'm hoping that he really finds himself this week.

Zags win by 17

Go Zags!!!

ZagzKrak
01-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Zags 87
UP 63

jake
01-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Interesting that there are a decent number of bleacher seats still available. GU not having quite the same hype? UP being down a little more than usual? Late tip time? UP's ticket selling strategy?

https://ev3.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AUP%3AMBX1718%3AMBX0 125%3A&linkID=twup&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=MBX&cgc=

23dpg
01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
84-67 Zags

Zagceo
01-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Rui 30 10 rebs Perkins 15 10 Assists Norvell 15 10 10 Tillie 15 10 rebs Williams 10 10 Rebs

Norvell first triple double

JPW314159
01-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Gonzaga 83
Portland 63

Bogozags
01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
The games this weekend are very important to the Zags. I think they're more important than most are feeling. I think the Zags are in transition right now, as some of the roles I think are changing. At least I hope so. I think that Norvell needs to be the back-up point guard and play the two the rest of the game. This would allow Melson to play the 3 which he has played mostly since he's been at GU. This was a change that I saw in the second half against Santa Clara. Melson has had scoring woes in his last two outings, including St Mary's. He needs to score around 10 points, and I feel he has a better chance of doing this when he's playing the three.

We are now seeing Rui play the 3 more, and this seems to be working quite well. He presents a huge match-up problem for defenders when he's plays the three. I hope this continues.

I hope to see Kispert find his confidence on offense. He has scored 0 points in his last two outings, and vs St Mary's that hurt us. The Zags need points from Kispert, and imo they need at least 6 or 7 points from him. I'm hoping that he really finds himself this week.

Zags win by 17

Go Zags!!!

I agree with you about Rui...he is a match-up problem for defences, I am going to watch closely on how he plays on defence, because he normally has a smaller opponent and it will be interesting to see his match-ups

Yes, Kispert needs to once again find his footing on the court and hopefully, he will have an effective game on both ends...

Not sure Zach can be as effective at the point as he is at the two...different mind set and it will be harder to find his shot, when he has the ball all the time...it will be interesting to see how much play he gets at the PG...Silas will play in front of his hometown fans for the last time...I bet Coach Few gives him a long leash tomorrow...

NO INJURIES!

GU 81
UP 63

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Zags 75-68. I get the sense that this team will spend another couple of weeks muddling through while they work to find a collective identity.

Do they get to wear the special Portland uniforms for this one?

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/11/16/171114_PK80_APPAREL_MENS_GONZAGA_square_1600_t1200 .jpg?298603a24e8d51915fce203907ff2746e482a5a6

Zag_Dad
01-24-2018, 07:36 PM
GU 92
Portland 71

Psychozag
01-24-2018, 09:59 PM
GU- 79
UP - 62

TravelinZag
01-25-2018, 06:04 AM
Coach’s know what needs to be done; only a few “scrimages” left to work on it. Playing time for Kispert and Larsen; we’ll need improved depth in the weeks to come.

Zags 87
Pilots 62

kitzbuel
01-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Zags 85

Pilots 69

upan8th
01-25-2018, 11:29 AM
". . . working through their collective identity." I like that MCMD. A little too charitable, perhaps, but pretty much nails it. It happens every year: The good ship SPIKE drifting to January's close in a Sargasso Sea of ennui. The youngsters (Rui-Zach) are still enthused -- they're in the changing of the guard. The vets, Josh, Silas, JWIII, Killian, line-up spots secure, show up, go through the motions, get the W & say the right things about another out-classed opponent's "bright future." Totally get their lack of enthusiasm even if Zag fans don't. But, still, the Pilot's have averaged 59 PPG in their last eight against some of the least distinguished defenses in the NC2A. Their center is only slightly shorter than the Rock of Gibraltar but certainly as mobile. Ten of the fifteen listed on their roster are Frosh & Sophs. Their futures may be bright, but just can't see it happening tonight. But, then, there's that collective somnambulism thing going on, so a close game at Chiles wouldn't be impossible, would actually be the smack upside the head the Zags need. Let's say, somehow, UP tallies their previous 8 game average. With Silas showin' off in front of his friends & family at home for the last time, impressive offensive domination inside & on boards, with GU hitting its season average on something less than 20 trey attempts, GU should cover, theoretically, the too few, but about right, 20 pts and sneak past the 144 O/U. Zags 88 Pilots 59. Those looking for entertainment can switch to the other WCC game on ESPN.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2018, 01:06 PM
zags 84
Pilots 62

only because bench gets time late in game

DixieZag
01-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Z's: 81
P's: 60

BeachZag
01-25-2018, 02:19 PM
I am always a little concerned about the bring out their best game when anybody plays the Zags on their home court, however even given that I stlick with the Zags
Zags 96
Pilots 67

spike_jr
01-25-2018, 07:07 PM
85-61 GU

More Rui in the rotation. Guards looking to drive to the basket. Keep limiting those turnovers.