PDA

View Full Version : Monday ranking

Zag_Dad
01-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Only 11 teams in top 25 survived the week without a loss, 5 teams suffered two losses. Only three teams below GU made it through the week without losing. How far do we fall? Where does Saint Maryís wind up?

willandi
01-21-2018, 08:34 PM
Zags down 2, SMC maybe low 20's?

CDC84
01-21-2018, 08:46 PM
I wonder if the score of that St. Mary's/Pacific game on Saturday might slightly effect the vote of some of the writers. I have the sense that some of these guys, rightly or wrongly, still feel that SMC is a "one man paper tiger." Beating GU in the Kennel is a monumental achievement, and it will push SMC into the top 25 for certain, but SMC probably deserved to lose on Saturday. Pacific is really lacking on offense (#126 in offensive efficiency after the SMC game), and the Gaels allowed them to shoot 49.1% from the field.

cggonzaga
01-21-2018, 10:37 PM
Zags down 2, SMC maybe low 20's?

Yeah I don’t see how we fall any further with 16-20 all losing. Some twice.

Zags11
01-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Zags 15th.

Smc 25-27.

jazzdelmar
01-22-2018, 04:29 AM
Zags 20, SMC 22

Zags11
01-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Zags 20, SMC 22

Ouch.

Nevada Don
01-22-2018, 08:12 AM
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 08:20 AM
SMC +10......big move

Zags -2

Nevada Don
01-22-2018, 08:23 AM
SMC +10......big move

Zags -2

Psssst---We got your back---literally.

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 08:27 AM
Psssst---We got your back---literally.

deal is we both beat all other WCC foe....and both get bids....

Nevada Don
01-22-2018, 08:33 AM
deal is we both beat all other WCC foe....and both get bids....

You got a DEAL !!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-22-2018, 08:43 AM
You got a DEAL !!

I’m rooting for the Gaels in every game they play the rest of the way excepting Zags of course. Would love to see them drive NCAA tourney teams crazy with their precision offense...particularly Kentucky or Duke!!

Goshzagit
01-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Much deserved for SMC.

I feel this shows huge amount of respect/admiration for GU as a program/team, as well as for SMC.

Only drop -2 spots, while SMC jumps +10.

The Zag effect.

We are a good team, very versatile, yet having J3 as our #1 offensive option is silly. Not his game. Isolation plays 20 feet from the hoop? C'mon. Holding us back, imo, and will be killer come Tourney time.

It should be Tillie as he can post up, face up, or knock down a 3, followed closely by Rui and Norvell (if we want to isolate).

J3 is great, no denying that, yet he is suited to clean up around the rim, offensive put backs, tough boards, and hook shots around the rim. Mixed in with the occasional dribble drive at the top of the key. He's a good #2 or #3 option when he gets the ball around the rim.

Problem is, J3 doesn't pass the ball when doubled and leads to easy TO's, stalled possessions, or rushed possessions IF/when he dribbles back out to the 3pt line and "resets".

We literally slowed the pace down vs SMC. Again, awful gameplan. Take advantage in the open court, dribble drive, etc. Attempting to trade baskets with Jock and J3, well, recipe for disaster, esp with J3 is asked to DEFEND HIM! I'm over the loss, but that was the worse gameplan our coaches have ever come up with vs Gaels.

Take advantage of our versatility, its our biggest strength this season. We have so many tweeners and mis-matches for a team like SMC, its insane to go iso-post to iso-post, and compete as a back to the basket team as we did down the stretch.

The guards weren't hitting their 3's, so DRIVE the damn ball at them. Worked tremendously well for Pacific.

Afraid to zone SMC, but not other good 3pt teams? terrible.

SMC deserved that win, and fought hard to close it out. We gave good hustle/effort, although Perkins looked disinterested the entire game.

We need to realize who we are this year and start playing to it, as we have a chance to be a tough out come NCAA time, yet if J3 is our #1 option in half court sets, we'll be going home in a hurry. Even the games he puts up 25 or 30, 80% of those pts were clean up or around the hoop, or effort points, essentially his game.

Our offense suffers when it goes to him, only to be held, or doubled, no passes 'til its too late. Not his fault. He is an awesome player for us, maybe MVP, but not the go-to #1 option = square peg in a round hole.

Mantua
01-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Goshzagit:

We literally slowed the pace down vs SMC. Again, awful gameplan. Take advantage in the open court, dribble drive, etc. Attempting to trade baskets with Jock and J3, well, recipe for disaster, esp with J3 is asked to DEFEND HIM! I'm over the loss, but that was the worse gameplan our coaches have ever come up with vs Gaels.

Absolutely!

It would be a good thing to beat a ranked St. Mary’s in Moraga.

kitzbuel
01-22-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm over the loss, but that was the worse gameplan our coaches have ever come up with vs Gaels.

I dunno. There was the Sacre switch on to Dellavadova that we did about 15 straight times.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zagdontzig
01-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Much deserved for SMC.

I feel this shows huge amount of respect/admiration for GU as a program/team, as well as for SMC.

The Zag effect.

Same phenomenon happened after we got blown out at MSG. Nova went up, we stayed in place.

sittingon50
01-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Ohio St. jumps from 22 to 13

Florida from outside to #20

Creighton drops out & loses their (Center?)for the season to a knee injury.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
So St. Mary's beat us, has fewer losses than us and yet is still ranked behind us. We beat Ohio State, have the same record as Ohio State and are now behind them. Gotta love polls.

cggonzaga
01-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Don’t understand the OSU jump but good for us nonetheless.

Creighton doesn’t really have a center but that guy was literally their only half decent big. That’s really going to hurt them unfortunately.

TexasZagFan
01-22-2018, 11:22 AM
So St. Mary's beat us, has fewer losses than us and yet is still ranked behind us. We beat Ohio State, have the same record as Ohio State and are now behind them. Gotta love polls.

Appears to me that OSU is playing better now than we are. One bad offensive stretch for 10 minutes in a WCC game can do that to you. SMC has now won 14 in a row, with a close call to UoP. They've been very good since everybody forgot about them. Let's see what happens now they're getting some good press.

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Appears to me that OSU is playing better now than we are. One bad offensive stretch for 10 minutes in a WCC game can do that to you. SMC has now won 14 in a row, with a close call to UoP. They've been very good since everybody forgot about them. Let's see what happens now they're getting some good press.

We have the same record and beat them head to head, y'know, on the court where it actually counts, or is supposed to. lol

Kiddwell
01-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Gonzaga 8th
Saint Mary's 17th
-------
'Nova 1st
Ohio State 14th
Creighton 16th
Florida 23rd

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

AP Poll
GU - 15th
SMC -16th

Coaches Poll
GU - 15th
SMC - 18th

:]

RenoZag
01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Since December 1st, Ohio State went 12 - 1, including knocking off Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Minnesota. they lost to North Carolina

In the same time frame, Gonzaga went 11 -3, losing to Villanova, San Diego State, and St. Mary's while beating the likes of North Dakota, IUPUI, UOP, Santa Clara, LMU, Pepperdine, and Portland. Creighton and Washington were nice wins but the SDSU loss was (and will remain) an albatross around the neck of this year's team.

y'know, on the court, where it actually counts, Ohio State ought to be ranked ahead of Gonzaga. The Buckeyes have a better resume.

strikenowhere
01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
A home loss and they only drop a couple of spots? That doesn't make any sense.

MDABE80
01-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Absolutely correct Reno. If one reviews their schedule, I'm not sure they can keep up the victories but so far, they're doing a very good job. Where our GU team that mugged em in Portland??? I want that one back:)

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Since December 1st, Ohio State went 12 - 1, including knocking off Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Minnesota. they lost to North Carolina

In the same time frame, Gonzaga went 11 -3, losing to Villanova, San Diego State, and St. Mary's while beating the likes of North Dakota, IUPUI, UOP, Santa Clara, LMU, Pepperdine, and Portland. Creighton and Washington were nice wins but the SDSU loss was (and will remain) an albatross around the neck of this year's team.

y'know, on the court, where it actually counts, Ohio State lost to Gonzaga.

Fixed it for factual correctness, everything else is fluff, if the records are equal. On a side note, you love to argue, it must be exhausting.

RenoZag
01-22-2018, 01:34 PM
On a side note, you love to argue, it must be exhausting.

No more so than reading your posts, spy. We're just two wankers on an internet forum, whatever we say has no impact on the real world. Isn't that usually your line ?

Have a fine Monday evening.

Reborn
01-22-2018, 01:45 PM
Zangs ranked #7 in Kenpom ranking

Zags11
01-22-2018, 02:05 PM
#15. I called that right. Do I get a prediction ranking point? Anyone?

No?

Welp I tried.

cggonzaga
01-22-2018, 02:06 PM
The Buckeyes have a better resume.

Do they? Big 10 isnít very good this year. Only good win I see there is the MSU game.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Much deserved for SMC.

The Zag effect.

We are a good team, very versatile, yet having J3 as our #1 offensive option is silly. Not his game. Isolation plays 20 feet from the hoop? C'mon. Holding us back, imo, and will be killer come Tourney time.

It should be Tillie as he can post up, face up, or knock down a 3, followed closely by Rui and Norvell (if we want to isolate).

J3 is great, no denying that, yet he is suited to clean up around the rim, offensive put backs, tough boards, and hook shots around the rim. Mixed in with the occasional dribble drive at the top of the key. He's a good #2 or #3 option when he gets the ball around the rim.

Problem is, J3 doesn't pass the ball when doubled and leads to easy TO's, stalled possessions, or rushed possessions IF/when he dribbles back out to the 3pt line and "resets".

Take advantage of our versatility, its our biggest strength this season. We have so many tweeners and mis-matches for a team like SMC, its insane to go iso-post to iso-post, and compete as a back to the basket team as we did down the stretch.

The guards weren't hitting their 3's, so DRIVE the damn ball at them. Worked tremendously well for Pacific.

Afraid to zone SMC, but not other good 3pt teams? terrible.

SMC deserved that win, and fought hard to close it out. We gave good hustle/effort, although Perkins looked disinterested the entire game.

We need to realize who we are this year and start playing to it, as we have a chance to be a tough out come NCAA time, yet if J3 is our #1 option in half court sets, we'll be going home in a hurry. Even the games he puts up 25 or 30, 80% of those pts were clean up or around the hoop, or effort points, essentially his game.

Our offense suffers when it goes to him, only to be held, or doubled, no passes 'til its too late. Not his fault. He is an awesome player for us, maybe MVP, but not the go-to #1 option = square peg in a round hole.

Spot on Goshzagit. Your post + Reno’s post pointing out what Ohio State has done since losing to Zags vs what Zags have done since then gives some much needed perspective on this team. I love the Zags, love these players and coaches, but this team has issues...trending downward imho. Until they embrace a more creative offensive philosophy, beating up on the WCC won’t convince me they will flip some kind of switch come [hopefully] NCAA tourney time. I definitely believe the potential to reach the Sweet 16 or beyond is there, but I ain’t believing it will happen until they beat SMC on the road and/or run the table vs BYU, San Diego and the rest of the WCC.

Zagger
01-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Iím rooting for the Gaels in every game they play the rest of the way excepting Zags of course. Would love to see them drive NCAA tourney teams crazy with their precision offense...particularly Kentucky or Duke!!

Ditto :)

ZagsGoZags
01-22-2018, 03:43 PM
nice to see Ohio State at 13, Florida at 20 and Creighton at 32

75Zag
01-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Best thing about college BB is that we know with 100% certainty that the best teams end up battling for the NC. Football drives me nuts because who knows what sort of SEC secret ceremony sauce they use each year to nominate the playoff teams. BB Polls mean nothing so long as the Committee does not use them to decide who is in and who is out of the Tournament, and in my observation the Committee does not do that.

Go Bulldogs!

thespywhozaggedme
01-22-2018, 07:50 PM
No more so than reading your posts, spy. We're just two wankers on an internet forum, whatever we say has no impact on the real world. Isn't that usually your line ?

Have a fine Monday evening.

I usually say dorks, but wankers is fine. I appreciate you even though you drive me nuts some times. :-)

RenoZag
01-23-2018, 07:27 AM
I usually say dorks, but wankers is fine. I appreciate you even though you drive me nuts some times. :-)

Ditto. Have a great day

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Fixed it for factual correctness, everything else is fluff, if the records are equal. On a side note, you love to argue, it must be exhausting.

what's that phrase...something about the pot calling the kettle black or something??? of course, on the gu boards these days, using that phrase probably gets you labeled as a racist =).

sittingon50
01-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Well this has been fun.

Next week's rankings oughtta' be a hoot (unless the Zags lose, of course).