PDA

View Full Version : Post game thread vs SCU

Zags11
01-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Zags and SCU battled in the first half. The zags talent pulling away in the 2nd half. Some solid games by our players.

Thoughts?

Let's get this rolling!

Reborn?

btzag
01-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Good win but... Non-Rui bench has scored a total of 3 points in the last 3 games. I think it’s the biggest area of concern for this team as the season moves along.

Zagger
01-21-2018, 05:28 AM
Good win but... Non-Rui bench has scored a total of 3 points in the last 3 games. I think it’s the biggest area of concern for this team as the season moves along.

Kispert will be finding the basket again before too long. Larsen's taking some time to get his play dialed in but it will come too. I think Rui's outstanding play will help fire up the whole team. Norvell's too for that matter.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2018, 06:35 AM
Zags going with Rui at the 3 along with JWIII and Tillie more often. I like that lineup a lot. Rui is a big problem for opponents all around but especially when playing at the 3. However, Melson really needs to knock down jumpers consistently if he and Perkins are going to man the guard spots w this big lineup. Sorry to say Silas’ inconsistency on the offensive end is disappointing this season.

Norvell and Rui are stepping up big for this team.

Birddog
01-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Lots of comments on this and other threads about Melson's lack of O. Last night I listened to the radio broadcast and there was mostly praise for Melson, esp from Adam who repeatedly said Melson does all the little things that don't get noticed on "D". I suspect that is the primary reason he gets his minutes.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Lots of comments on this and other threads about Melson's lack of O. Last night I listened to the radio broadcast and there was mostly praise for Melson, esp from Adam who repeatedly said Melson does all the little things that don't get noticed on "D". I suspect that is the primary reason he gets his minutes.

Yes, of course it is. That doesn’t invalidate the comments about his inconsistent performance offensively and how it hurts this team when he isn’t a scorer.

bballbeachbum
01-21-2018, 09:08 AM
sure, I'll take a stab it

Zags defensive switching was exposed again last night; Sendek got the Tillie mismatch and his team was well prepared to attack that D and get the matchups they wanted to go after, and Killian was wearing the bullseye it looked like.

the switching perimeter D was also exposed in the SMC game, differently but still, with Landale sealing Silas down low for easy ones more than once as an example through the switched pick and roll (SMC is tough to handle anyway with their screen/roll/hold and move offense)

Few and staff saw the obvious and got out of that D last night, went to digging over the top of the perimeter screen and sticking to your man, and it changed the game imo

Zags don't have a true rim protector but still appear intent on trying to deny the open catch and shoot 3s. To me, that means the perimeter defenders are being asked to accept that they're going to get beat off the dribble at times and they'll be giving up some layups and looking like burnt toast, but to do it anyway...something like that.

JIII went 3 straight possessions iso'd on the perimeter on a guard, won that matchup all 3 times in the 2nd half with Tillie on the bench (I think out of switching D but would have to review the tape). To me, that meant Sendek had JIII as the target perimeter matchup once Tille went to the bench. Zach, who has been a target all year long, has stepped it up to the point that he isn't wearing the bullseye like earlier; that is Killian right now evidently. Until he and the Zags make it stop, I'd expect that continues if the Zags play the perimeter switching D.

thoughts? North Dakota got to their preferred matchups out of the switching D too

bballbeachbum
01-21-2018, 09:08 AM

+1

jazzdelmar
01-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Primary reason is his being a senior. If he wasn’t he would not start.

Hoopaholic
01-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Primary reason is his being a senior. If he wasnít he would not start.

Experts disagree with this view

Hoopaholic
01-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Yes, of course it is. That doesnít invalidate the comments about his inconsistent performance offensively and how it hurts this team when he isnít a scorer.

So for last nights game there was 57 shots. Whose shots would you suggest melson should have taken in his limited 20 minutes due to foul trouble

For me he provides all the glue items that a successful team must have done to continue to win
In addition he has never been a gunner or a me first offensive player
He does exceptionally well as a counter puncher when opposing defense focuses away from him giving him open looks or drives

Vanzagger
01-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Great job by the staff on quick turn around with travel. Great hustle and focus by players.

GoZags
01-21-2018, 10:25 AM

You have no idea whether this is true or not. None whatsoever.

MDABE80
01-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Maybe he's right GZ. We look worse out front now than in the past few months.

Zagceo
01-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Melson is no Alpha like Norvell and Rui..mentally or physically

Strong with some mistakes is better than weak and fewer mistakes...IMHO

Reborn
01-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Gonzaga 75
Santa Clara 60

It was definitely a better game. However, it should have been. I think if the team can play like this, and if Kispert and JW3 can find their offensive games, the team is going to be real good by March. I especially liked how Few distributed the minutes. Killie got more minutes than JW3, and Norvell got more minutes than Melson, and Kispert got 16 minutes. I believe Kispert should be getting these minutes. He desrves them, and in time Few playing him more and extending his leash, that Kispert will work his way out of the slump.

Norvell is beginning to show consistently who good he is. His game last night what just super. 16 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists. And he's a freshman. Novell got 38 minutes and I believe he should be playing the two, and Melson the 3. Zach got 38 minutes and Melson 20, and I believe it should stay this way. The other 20 minutes at the 3 should be shared by Kispert and Rui. Perkins and Norvell would be a far better set of combo guards than Perkins and Melson.

I'm not sure if was planned but Gonzaga shot a lot fewer three-point shots last night. they were 6-15, with Perkins, Norvell and Melson getting those six. Zags shot 40% from behind the arc. First time in awhile. I like this stat for this team. Zags shot 51% for the game. I hope it was Mark Few who told the team he doesn't want so many 3 point shots taken. JW3 just is not hitting them this year like he did last. I feel it's a huge part of why he's having so much trouble scoring. His defender is not having to come out and guard him, thus making driving to the basket much harder.

The Zags only had 9 turnovers last night and had 18 assists. 2-1 margin which is good.We're beginning to see those turnovers going down and that's a plus. I think they Zags showed their pride last night and bounced back from that loss to St Mary's in a way that we all can respect. At least I can. There's lots of time left in the season, and IS plenty of time for Kispert and Williams to find their offensive games. As that happens we'll be dang tough to beat in the WCC Tournament. I'm not down on Melson at all. He's a great guy, great team mate and great team player. He is much like Hart in that way. I do feel his minutes do need to come down as they were last night, and play in the 20 to 25 minute range. He deserves to start because he has earned it. Just like every other player. PERIOD. Sorry Jazz. He isn't starting, imo because he's a senior. He brings some special things to the team as Morrison said.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Gonzaga 75
Santa Clara 60

It was definitely a better game. However, it should have been. I think if the team can play like this, and if Kispert and JW3 can find their offensive games, the team is going to be real good by March. I especially liked how Few distributed the minutes. Killie got more minutes than JW3, and Norvell got more minutes than Melson, and Kispert got 16 minutes. I believe Kispert should be getting these minutes. He desrves them, and in time Few playing him more and extending his leash, that Kispert will work his way out of the slump.

Norvell is beginning to show consistently who good he is. His game last night what just super. 16 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists. And he's a freshman. Novell got 38 minutes and I believe he should be playing the two, and Melson the 3. Zach got 38 minutes and Melson 20, and I believe it should stay this way. The other 20 minutes at the 3 should be shared by Kispert and Rui. Perkins and Norvell would be a far better set of combo guards than Perkins and Melson.

I'm not sure if was planned but Gonzaga shot a lot fewer three-point shots last night. they were 6-15, with Perkins, Norvell and Melson getting those six. Zags shot 40% from behind the arc. First time in awhile. I like this stat for this team. Zags shot 51% for the game. I hope it was Mark Few who told the team he doesn't want so many 3 point shots taken. JW3 just is not hitting them this year like he did last. I feel it's a huge part of why he's having so much trouble scoring. His defender is not having to come out and guard him, thus making driving to the basket much harder.

The Zags only had 9 turnovers last night and had 18 assists. 2-1 margin which is good.We're beginning to see those turnovers going down and that's a plus. I think they Zags showed their pride last night and bounced back from that loss to St Mary's in a way that we all can respect. At least I can. There's lots of time left in the season, and IS plenty of time for Kispert and Williams to find their offensive games. As that happens we'll be dang tough to beat in the WCC Tournament. I'm not down on Melson at all. He's a great guy, great team mate and great team player. He is much like Hart in that way. I do feel his minutes do need to come down as they were last night, and play in the 20 to 25 minute range. He deserves to start because he has earned it. Just like every other player. PERIOD. Sorry Jazz. He isn't starting, imo because he's a senior. He brings some special things to the team as Morrison said.

Go Zags!!!

Agree with much of what you lay out EXCEPT your view norvell showing consistency

The last five games has been absolute hit and miss....double figures in 3 games but only 9 and 3 in the other two games

7 and 9 rebounds then. Zero and two games with 3

7 assists then 2 games with zero and two games with three

3 games shooting well, 2 games shooting percent poor

He needs to become consistent as he is critical cog for zags success imo

GU69
01-21-2018, 03:28 PM

I have lots of respect for Adam, and I put more faith in his opinions than in my own.

Reborn
01-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Agree with much of what you lay out EXCEPT your view norvell showing consistency

The last five games has been absolute hit and miss....double figures in 3 games but only 9 and 3 in the other two games

7 and 9 rebounds then. Zero and two games with 3

7 assists then 2 games with zero and two games with three

3 games shooting well, 2 games shooting percent poor

He needs to become consistent as he is critical cog for zags success imo

I agree with the overall assessment of number of points, but as I remember those games, which for me included St Mary's, his role on the team was very low. He did not get the ball very much, and when he did didn't try to score all that much. And I'd say it was the same for the couple of game before the St Mary's. Im not sure if his diminished role in these 3 games was his decisions, the guys he plays with, or Few's. But I did notice his inconsistency in his aggressiveness to score or even shoot. For the majority of the season Few seems to have been going to his vets, JW3, Melson, and Perkins. In the last few games we'd have to include Rui as an elite scorer for the team.

It was different last night because Melson was in deep foul trouble most of the game. It'll be interesting to compare his minutes and role going forward with Norvell's. I also noticed last night that Few is cutting back on the time he gives to bench players. Mostly, he used a 7 man bench, and I hope he continues with that. IMO Jones does't really need to play that much, nor does Larsen. Not this year anyway.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
01-21-2018, 07:20 PM
I agree with the overall assessment of number of points, but as I remember those games, which for me included St Mary's, his role on the team was very low. He did not get the ball very much, and when he did didn't try to score all that much. And I'd say it was the same for the couple of game before the St Mary's. Im not sure if his diminished role in these 3 games was his decisions, the guys he plays with, or Few's. But I did notice his inconsistency in his aggressiveness to score or even shoot. For the majority of the season Few seems to have been going to his vets, JW3, Melson, and Perkins. In the last few games we'd have to include Rui as an elite scorer for the team.

It was different last night because Melson was in deep foul trouble most of the game. It'll be interesting to compare his minutes and role going forward with Norvell's. I also noticed last night that Few is cutting back on the time he gives to bench players. Mostly, he used a 7 man bench, and I hope he continues with that. IMO Jones does't really need to play that much, nor does Larsen. Not this year anyway.

Go Zags!!!

Your statement " he didn't try to score much" is spot on. Ball was in his hands plenty on games he disappeared. He needs to believe and execute as he brings unique attributes that no one else has on team

Zags11
01-21-2018, 11:03 PM
We get more replies when we lose then when we win.

Reborn
01-21-2018, 11:27 PM
We get more replies when we lose then when we win.

This is, and always has been, a place to vent after a loss. That's what friends are for. We let others, and ourselves, just get it all out. It's a heck of alot better than kickin the dog.

titopoet
01-22-2018, 07:27 AM

That and his being one of the best perimeter defensive stopper in Zags history. Also, his being one of the all-time players winningest player in Zags history, being the only guard to playing in two elite eights. Other than those facts, yes he only starting becuase he is senior with a great underappreciated career.
It is interesting that the professional players and coaches see Melson for the great player he is.

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Rui can play point on the press....guard Landale in the post ...guard Feagin on the parameter .....and create his own shot.

not bad for a bench player

Zags11
01-22-2018, 08:11 AM
This is, and always has been, a place to vent after a loss. That's what friends are for. We let others, and ourselves, just get it all out. It's a heck of alot better than kickin the dog.

I couldn't kick my dog! Lol. But I understand lol.

Zagceo
01-23-2018, 08:46 AM
Gonzagaís Josh Perkins tries to keep rolling forward

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/21/gonzagas-josh-perkins-tries-to-keep-rolling-forwar/

meehan article perkins

WallaWallaZag
01-23-2018, 09:20 AM
However, Melson really needs to knock down jumpers consistently if he and Perkins are going to man the guard spots w this big lineup. Sorry to say Silasí inconsistency on the offensive end is disappointing this season.

i would actually say that with the big line-up it is more imperative that tillie be able to knock down his threes...whether or not melson is hitting, teams will be guarding him on the perimeter.
if tillie is hitting, that will really stretch out the opposing d but he's been just as inconsistent as melson (tillie 2-12 in past 5)

Zags11
01-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins tries to keep rolling forward

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/21/gonzagas-josh-perkins-tries-to-keep-rolling-forwar/

meehan article perkins

Awesome. Thank um!

former1dog
01-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Awesome. Thank um!

Yes!!

“I was proud of Josh,” coach Mark Few said. “He obviously didn’t play good the other night and I think part of how he played (vs. Santa Clara) was his response. He took care of the ball, stepped up and hit shots and played pretty good D.”
With Gonzaga’s legacy of standout point guards, playing the position is the roughly the equivalent of being a quarterback on a top-20 football team. It brings additional attention and scrutiny.
“I see everything people say,” Perkins said. “You have to have tough skin in this profession. You’re not going to be liked by everybody. I’ve known that my whole life but I think now I’m actually starting to feel it. I’m just glad I’m with this group of guys that keep my head in it.”

bballbeachbum
01-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins tries to keep rolling forward

meehan article perkins

thanks for sharing