PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness in the Kennel

MBZags
10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
The Blue Team won, but that doesn't really matter since some of the players changed teams at the half. Winston Brooks played the second half for the Red team.

Downs and Kuso were the leading scorers with 18 points.

Ira Brown had a sick dunk on an alley-oop from Brooks. He sure can fly.

Gray was the most impressive newcomer, for me. And he sure isn't afraid to pull the trigger on 3's. Daye plays almost effortlessly, like he's gliding down the court. Sacre seemed a little slow in the post to me and didn't play as forcefully as he probably could have. Davis didn't do much, but he did have an impressive post move banging against Sacre for the layup.

Foster still has a LONG way to go, in my opinion. I think he should be redshirted. He played decently well, but nothing too impressive.

There was no real winner in the dunk contest, but if I could vote, I'd give it Brown or Pargo. For his second dunk, Pargo jumped over P-Maag who was sitting on a stool. For Brown's second dunk, P-Maag threw it off the backboard and Brown really got up to slam it up. Daye also had an impressive dunk as he came in from the side while Heytvelt threw it off the side of the backboard and Daye, fully-extended threw it up.

Finally, does anyone know what's wrong with Gurganious? He didn't play at all.

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
...Ira Brown had a sick dunk on an alley-oop from Brooks. He sure can fly.

...For his second dunk, Pargo jumped over P-Maag who was sitting on a stool.

I have photos of each of these. Coming soon!

thickman1
10-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Finally, does anyone know what's wrong with Gurganious? He didn't play at all.

Larry hyperextended his knee in practice. Supposed to be back soon.

cggonzaga
10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
For Brown's second dunk, P-Maag threw it off the backboard and Brown really got up to slam it up

It was off the shot clock and it was sick!

Sacre seemed a little slow in the post to me and didn't play as forcefully as he probably could have.

I thought he played forcefully but he was slow in the post. Very aggressive though, gotta love that from a big man.

Daye looks like a stud but needs to put on weight. All the newcomers will contribute right away in my opinion. None of them are bashful. I thought Davis looked good. Needs to assert himself a little more but he does a lot of the little things. Pretty good passer for a big. I don't think Gray will have a problem backing up the point or guarding the point. I'll write more later.

NorthoftheBorder
10-26-2007, 08:28 PM
What was the attendance like tonight?

ZagManFan
10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Top honors go to Kuso and Downs. Kuso looks even more ready this year. Aggressive toward the basket was a big plus as I thought he would fade to much last year. Had several blocks and ran hard. A+

Micah was just on fire in the first half. I can see him leading the team in scoring this year. He also seemed quicker on D. Would like to have seen more boards out of him though. A

Poor performance honor goes to Bouldin. Matt's jumper was off tonight. I sure hope this was just a bad game for him, but going back to last year I saw a lot of the same stuff. On a positive note for Matt is that he seemed to create his shot more, but that could have been the players on his team as he started with 3 frosh. It was good to see though and they were not bad shots, they just didn't go in. He also had several excellent passes. C

Theo, nothing much on the offense, but had several boards that I thought were good in technique. You can tell he has some moves in the post, but Kuso is the man in the middle for now. C

Austin. Yes, very smooth, like silk. The first words out of my buddies mouth was "wow, like silk man". Battled hard and seems to be able to get his shot of with no problem. Seemed a bit sluggish on D though, but with that long reached he had 1 or 2 blocks. B-

Steven. Couldn't find the Atlantic in the first half, but really showed his stuff in the second. Maybe the nerves calmed down for him. Just a sweet stroke, great rotation and can elevate. REALLY ELEVATE. Handled the ball well and had limited mistakes (there was a bunch tonight). B+

Big Rob. Get's in great post position, but was slow in his post moves. Needs to be quicker before the doubles come. Struggled to get good shots off against Big Will (but who doesn't). Did get some good shots off though earlier and was decent from the line. C+

Ira. Shot looks OK. Seems to be all around the ball. His entry passes to the bigs were horrible and I recall about 3-4 times it not even getting to the post. Has to pass better before he gets extended minutes. Did I mention he could jump though. My goodness!! C+

Pargo. Nothing great tonight, but this seemed to be more of an underclassman night. The dance act that he lead to start the thing off was great. Just shows he and the Zags are a TEAM. No doubt that when the game is really here he will step up, but seemed to take it slow tonight. C+

Pendo. See above. Like I said the game seemed to be handed to the newcomers. Played well and was diving on the floor for balls. I think he only scored 1 bucket, but does it really matter? It was practice. C+

Big Will. Yes, I agree with MBZ. Needs a LOT of work still, but I love this guy. Played limited minutes and was swatting balls like swatting flies on a fly trap. I can tell he has put on some weight which is good. Needs to go strong to the hoop though as he just does not look for contact. C

Josh and LG did not play. I really wanted to see LG tonight and he seemed to shoot really well in warm-ups. Had good burst in the dunks, but for some reason did not see the court tonight.

Ehh, it was only a practice, but I was a little disappointed tonight. WAY to many TO's even for practice. I looked up at the scoreboard in the first half with about 8 minutes remaining and the red team had 10 steals and the blue had 4. It wasn't pretty, but I did like Gray and Daye.

roxdoc
10-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd guess the attendance at about 4000 to 4500.

Like said above some of the players switched sides at the half. They really didn't have many subs so I think the guys were getting a little bushed even with "media" timeouts fairly often. The second half was only 10 minutes long.

Sides fairly evenly matched in the first half. Kuso and Downs were tied with 18apiece at halftime. Kuso was the biggest positive to me. Really came to play, several blocks and he was really finding the hole with encouraging regularity.

Second half we saw more of the potential starting lineup (minus Josh). This included primarily a team of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Daye, and Sacre/Foster.

Play was a little rough around the edges with poor passing and shooting. However, Daye and Gray were pretty effective - both with a sweet stroke.
And speaking of a seet stroke, Downs played with a lot of confidence. But all had their moments. Pargo played well and was primarily a destributor tonight.

GonzagaGurl08
10-26-2007, 08:59 PM
There was a pretty sick feed from Josh to Austin. Josh was up on the level you walk in at at like section 107, and threw it all the way down to Daye. He didn't make the dunk but it was an awesome feed.

Also, had a chance to speak a bit after the game with Rob Sacre, and I asked him how to pronounce his name. Its prounced (sack-ray), so there is an accent on the last e. I promised him from now on I wouldn't butcher it. Also, funny thing, I asked him if spoke French but he doesn't. He did say that he sometimes uses it to get the girls, and then pretended to speak French. I told him is should just say he does speak French, and that it would work on the girls like a charm.

I'm uploading pictures now, so as soon as they are online I'll post a few and provide a link to them.

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Not much to add to the above but to echo the high praise for Kuso. He hustled, exhibited crafty footwork and finished with power and precision. Wow! Unexpected and really, really nice. Also, Matt, for the shooting woes, was very quick with his feet and intense.

Saw mendiant walk by and met Nevtelen - nice to see them both.

Here are a few of the photos I got - 13 that are basically sort of crummy but will give you the idea....

http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6088-filtered.jpg

Nevtelen
10-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I thought that part of the reason Kuso looked so good was that Bouldin just cut the D up in the first half with some drives and dishes in the post. The kind of thing where you're thinking "What the heck is he doing?! Where is he..oh. Wow. Nice pass to Kuso." Kuso did some really nice work around the hoop, but I thought some of it at least was Bouldin's spot-on passes. Kuso really showed he had great hands and was ready for some quick feeds. Bouldin's shot was off for sure, though several of the guys shot poorly in the first half.

Daye is, like others have said, as advertised. Man, he looked like a bundle of sticks but was quick and seemed to be able to find his shot pretty much any time he wanted to. He got some good boards, too, but he's going to get banged around for a while until he adds some serious bulk.

Grey was really solid, but tended to rely on that outside shot too much with no attempt to do much else, even after it stopped falling. Still, it was spot on after the half and made him look really good.

Micah was a stud.

Pargo had maybe my favorite moment in the dunk contest - after his dunk was announced and everyone started cheering, he looked like he was going to take off, only to come up short and start clutching his leg. He walked it off quickly and smiled big, then threw down a huge jam. That kid has got a little James Brown in him, I think. "The hardest working man in GU basketball..."

That off-the-shot-clock dunk by Ira was unreal! His first dunk was impressive, too - he put just about his whole arm through the basket and hung for a moment - but he exploded into it before the audience had a chance to really get into the fact that the dunk contest had started (he went first) and so it didn't get a big response.

Micah was a stud.

Just a few impressions. Glad I made it - there were probably only a couple hundred seats left, I think.

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Jeremy coaxes the coaches onto the floor to get them to dance. Didn't work.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6091-filtered.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
The dance itself. Very entertaining.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/krazi_kennel-cool_pargo.png

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Pargo's big dunk.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/krazi_kennel-pargo_dunk.png

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Check out the size of Kuso's hand. Catcher's mitt.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6138.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Pendo? On the floor? Where else.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6143.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:08 PM
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6174.jpg

HOOTER
10-26-2007, 10:08 PM
What a great time! The main thing that sticks out in my mind about the "game" tonight was Kuso's performance. I just love watching how hard he works on the court. I really think he deserves significant minutes this season. Downs also impressed me. I look forward to watching him spend more time on the perimeter where he belongs this season. He just makes those three's look easy. The freshman overall performed well tonight. Daye and Gray looked like naturals on the court. Sacre looked decent but in time I am confident will be a force in the paint. Overall, this years team looks very strong but has a lot of work to do. I'm sure by the time the Montana game rolls around they will have most of the wrinkles ironed out.

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Micah. High release.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6188.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:11 PM
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6216.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:11 PM
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6237.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Ira's major alley oop dunk. Place went nuts.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6257.jpg

AnonyMoose
10-26-2007, 10:14 PM
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6216.jpg

If anybody cares, under the lady with the gray hair and glasses is former GU walk on, Jordan Mast. Just an FYI.

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Pretty sure this is Daye. Boy can jump.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6259.jpg

Radbooks
10-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much for the photos, ZagPhish!! :D

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:23 PM
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6264.jpg

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I think Josh is looking pretty good.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6077-filtered.jpg

AnonyMoose
10-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I think Josh is looking pretty good.
http://web.mac.com/srhampton/SRHampton/Kraziness_files/IMG_6077-filtered.jpg

:eek: awkward :P jk, thanks for the pics.

bigparb
10-26-2007, 10:29 PM
1) Downs looked and played great!! Such a pretty stroke, and he's playing with a confident look in his eye. How about the two-handed windmill dunk in the dunk contest. That was the best dunk, IMO.....

2) Bouldin looked like he was in great shape. Any of the baby fat that he might have had last year is gone. He seemed much quicker, actually shaking Pargo a few time to get into the lane.

3) While Daye might get into some awkward positions due to his lack of strength this year, he appears to be the real deal. The handles looked good; the shot looked good; he can create space when needed to get his shot and he's sooooo long. He's going to shock the country with how much he can do.

4) Gray looked ready to contribute. He's got a pretty shot and seems to play with a confindence that is beyond his years.

5) Kuso showed what a senior warrior does....he owned the offensive glass and made sure that everyone won't forget about him before annointing Sacre as the center.....Kuso will be a valuable contributor this year with his hustle, heart and desire, IMO.

6) Pendo got on the floor after a loose ball within the first 30 seconds of the "game"!!! The Ultimate Zag!!!

What is not to be excited about when it comes to these Zags!!! We have so many weapons; and if Few and co. can manage all of the ego's and get these guys to all buy in to the team game, we should be able to play with anyone in the country; be it Memphis, UNC, or Georgetown.........

TheZagPhish
10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Apparently it's late, I'm wrestling with the new iWeb and I can't count. I will untie all the knots tomorrow.

(Grumble)
(Goes to crack open a cold Dead Guy Ale)

mendiant
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Not much to add to the above but to echo the high praise for Kuso. He hustled, exhibited crafty footwork and finished with power and precision. Wow! Unexpected and really, really nice. Also, Matt, for the shooting woes, was very quick with his feet and intense.

Here are a few of the photos I got - 13 that are basically sort of crummy but will give you the idea....

Okay, crap! You see me and don't stop me and say "hi"??

DUDE!

Your pics are not crappy, they are pretty darn good.

Thanks for the posts.

My side...

My boss and her boyfriend were there. He was REALLY worried about getting seats. She was there about 10 people ahead of me in line:D

Rock on Francis and Jason.

Other vingnettes...

As 2 of my beautiful nieces and I are walking toward the entrance, we choose to walk across the road at a certain point and are blessed by the gold Trailbalzer and dear Josh waits while we cross the street. This is a special memory for me, Joshes smile and waving us through, and my nod and thank you.

Sorry if I seem sappy, but it was a moment for me.

By and large, Josh's intro was well met. This is good.

However, Josh does not possess great dance skills...see other related posts.

It was so fun to be there. We sat about 10 rows up from courtside, but moved halftime since everyone was standing down there and I'm 46. We moved to my season ticket seats and had a way better view!!!

On the bench...Josh playing with coaches kids while watching the game.

On the floor...Winston Brooks out there playing again.

It appears that Bubba has moved into Kyle's old position...grats Bubba, glad to see you there :).

Points of interest...the pronunciation guide on the roster for Coach G, Kuso, The very name Gonzaga...

Happy to see many old acquaintances there, board members, olds school mates (hey goose!) and even old work mates from 15 years ago (Montie!!!)

Babies, the season is on!!!

Love,
mendiant

mendiant
10-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Apparently it's late, I'm wrestling with the new iWeb and I can't count. I will untie all the knots tomorrow.

(Grumble)
(Goes to crack open a cold Dead Guy Ale)

Dude, I drink that while playing Vanguard...I really should create a Rogue for that brew.

AnonyMoose
10-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Best moment was people around asking, "Whose that walk on there? Number 23... he's not on he roster" :lmao: It made my night, Winston still looks like a collegiate athlete.

Fonebone
10-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I would have guessed attendance at at least 5,000.

Grey has a LOT of confidence as a shooter - especially for a freshman in his first game. He took a lot of shots, if he was open, he took it. This is not a bad thing. He clearly has a scorer's mentality. He took good shots, but may not have been the best shot in a real game situation - meaning not the kind of shot you would take early in the clock. He does have a good stroke.

I was really impressed with Sacre - yes - he did seem a bit slow to get his shot off, but he also drew a lot of fouls - it looked like he was really a load to handle underneath, so guys kept fouling him. My take is that he shot pretty much at will over Will F. Will might have blocked one, but Rob made a number of shots right over him - nice hook shots. He runs the floor really well. He is not slow at all in terms of running, just getting the shot off.

Daye - he is amazing. He is smooth as silk as posted, and he has such a nice, soft shot. His shot reminds me of Micah - not in terms of the form, but in terms of the soft nice arch that looks so effortless and natural as it swishes through. He is an amazing athelete - he is going to be a real treat.

Micha made a couple deep threes in a row. Effortless, smooth, all net. I have a feeling that it is possible that he will really blow up this year.

Pendo - I think that it is going to be a challenging year for him. Clearly he is a very good player, he has ALL the intangibles, and he has such good solid skills. And he is so dependable, plays great in the clutch, etc etc. But what struck me tonight is that, even though it was just a scrimmage, among all this great young talent, several of whom play his position, he did not stand out as clearly the better player. The other guys bring such talent and athletecism to the floor. I think that as the season plays on, he is going to fight for playing time. He will probably be the guy you want on the floor at the end of the game. But as the evening wore on, I just kept thinking, he is REALLY going to be pushed.

Matt - I agree that he really was creating his shot a lot. Very impressive. He has slimmed down and looks to be in great shape. But he was pretty cold shooting. If that goes away, he is going to have a great year. His passing etc was really terrific.

Kuso - I went into the night thinking that he was going to be getting less and less playing time as the season progresses. But he seems to have this knack of being in the right spot at the right time. He just kept picking up points right around the basket. It was really fun to watch.

ZaggyStardust
10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
It was a BLAST to be there tonight! A FIX I was needing badly!

A couple more things - Kuso's free throw shot was SPOT ON! Don't think he bricked even one and they all had a nice high arc.

I felt like the defensive intensity in the first half was amazing. Frankly, that in my opinion is why everything looked a little discombobulated (sp?) I don't think I have seen that much swatting, poking, jabbing et al since PsychoT was owned in MSG last year.... It seems as if Ray has been working with the guys.

The dance was great... Reminded me of "We are the Titans, the mighty, mighty Titans".... I think our guys should do that at the end of warm ups before every game! That would sure throw the other team off!!!!

Loved Ira! and Daye! Gray looked confident - quick release on his jump shot.. It is going to be a GREAT year!

HillBillyZag
10-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Still a lot of work to do before everyone gets on the same page. But as all have said there is sure a lot of talent out there. Kuso was a warrior, and Daye reminds me of a young Tyshaun Prince. I have to disagree about Will Foster. The big kid looked like an eraser several times in there. Had a nice soft touch at the line,ran the floor and for the most part played a solid game. If they red shirt him as expected and he keeps working ,by the his Junior and Senior years He will be a WEAPON. I would almost be willing to bet an adult beverage and a Davids Pizza that Will sees considerable action next season and starts his last two years. Jeremy looks like he could play outside linebacker and was moving well without the ball too. Pendo,he was just Pendo, doing a little of this and a little of that on both ends of the court just when it was needed. Micah looked deadly for outside and Ira can really get up for 6'4". Gray, I thought played better in the second half, he sure is not shy in firing up the shots? For this time in the season it was typical, some sloppy passing and ill advised shots, but on the whole I was encouraged.When it all comes together for these kids the sky is the limit.

hockeyzag
10-26-2007, 11:09 PM
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276463_1649.jpg

GonzagaGurl08
10-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Too bad I missed you Mendiant, I'll see you next time I'm sure. Great meeting LawZag, ZaggyStardust, ZagNative and others. It was great to see the others as well. Here are a few pics for you to enjoy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel%202007/P1000226.jpg

I'm not sure it gets more handsome than this. He has a Fleur de Lys tatoo and I believe the inscription is in French.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel%202007/P1000187.jpg

Why might you ask, is Josh clear up in the stands? He sent a great pass to Austin Daye in the dunk contest.

hockeyzag
10-26-2007, 11:10 PM
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276454_9234.jpg

hockeyzag
10-26-2007, 11:11 PM
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276455_9493.jpg

hockeyzag
10-26-2007, 11:20 PM
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276462_1375.jpg
Micah was a fantastic dunker

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276465_2199.jpg
Kuso workin' hard under the basket

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276474_4579.jpg
Tried to get a good shot of Big Will

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/93/65/28202042/n28202042_31276458_286.jpg
One last shot of Jeremy Pargo soaring through the air

RandomZagFan
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Tonight was my first visit to the New Kennel, and hopefully it won't be my last.:)

I was definitely not prepared for the volume level. It took me awhile to adjust because the compact arena traps all the sound in a concentrated area. I can only imagine how much louder it would be for a regular season game!

GonzagaGurl08
10-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Here is some video footage of Pargo dunking over walk-on Christ P-Maag. Enjoy!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel%202007/th_P1000190.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel%202007/?action=view&current=P1000190.flv)

MBZags
10-27-2007, 01:37 AM
mendiant and hockeyzag - I was sitting right behind you guys, it looks like.

SteeleMan
10-27-2007, 06:10 AM
http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shirtfa7.jpg

Anyone know what these shirts say and if any are available for getting?

Zagpower
10-27-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the shirts say "Pendo's Posse". The kids must have made them up themselves. GU would not approve any shirt that includes player names or nicknames.

A couple years ago, our shirt manufacturer delivered to us some shirts that said

"My name is Errol" referring to Errol Knight and the tv show but all the shirts had to be recalled due to NCAA rules.

AnonyMoose
10-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Heh. I bought one last night....

MDABE80
10-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I see Rob Sacre and Steven Gray are developing "Zag Hair". ;) Theo needs some game experience......he's been away from it. Once things settle though, he'll really surprise...........just a gut feeling. And I agree with Cgg......Gray will be capable of some PG work this year. He's VERY good.

All in all, it looks like the kids and this team are everything we've heard. Josh seems at ease. The kids genuinely seem to like each other..........this is as important as anything. Wait till January.......I have a feeling this is a Top 10 team in the making. Josh's foot is troublesome. He's a centerpiece. We're going to need him. Those stress reactions/fractures are so unpredictable......let's hope Josh's foot clear up soon.

GonzagaGurl08
10-27-2007, 09:37 AM
http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shirtfa7.jpg

Anyone know what these shirts say and if any are available for getting?

The guy wearing the shirt, sitting next to Jordan Mast, is a good friend of Pendo's. I believe that he was the one that made them. I have no idea where to get them though.

Nevtelen
10-27-2007, 10:16 AM

It was great meeting you as well! This was my first time at one of these (I never seemed to make it as a student for various reasons) and it was a great time all around!

ZagNative
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! The whole thing was just a great experience, and I can't thank the University and athletic staff enough for putting on such a terrific show - FOR FREE!!!!

Jeremy! What a showman! The theme this year should be, GONZAGA! COOL AS WE EVER WERE!!! Jeremy is not going to let the new guys forget that basketball is fun!

It felt like a really neat bonding experience for the players and fans.

All last night and this morning, I kept finding myself saying, involuntarily almost, "Geez that was fun!"

Great to meet ZaggyStardust and GonzagaGurl too!

Thanks to all for the photos! This is going to be a GREAT YEAR!

ZaggyStardust
10-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Great to meet ZaggyStardust and GonzagaGurl too!

Ditto! So much fun putting faces with handles! Twelve days and counting...

Thanks for the great pics everyone. I tried to take some too but, well, let's just say the ones posted were fab and no need ruining a nice memory!!!!!

And BTW ZagNative, I'll work on that Avatar!

GO ZAGS!!!!!

Akzag
10-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for your reports (and pictures). They are invaluable to those of us who could not be there.

young julez
10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Great to hear in advance how the team is looking...any chance of you all making it to the women's event on Saturday?? I would love to hear these kind of reports and pictures :D

GonzagaGurl08
10-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Great to hear in advance how the team is looking...any chance of you all making it to the women's event on Saturday?? I would love to hear these kind of reports and pictures :D

I will try to hit up the womens event with my camera in hand.

sittingon50
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Everything has been pretty much been said. Bits & pieces:

Two players really stood out in my mind
1. Kuso: What a great surprise. I can't really put my finger on it. One 1st half play that really caught my eye was Kuso goin up on the left side of the rim, gettin' hit by Pendo & finishing with his left for an And 1.
He was still getting garbage; I guess it just seemed like he was getting MOST of it.
2. Downs. As long as the 3's keep dropping at a reasonable rate, he is going to be very dangerous.

Pargo was looking to distribute, as has been mentioned.

Bouldin was shooting well (who was other than the top 2 mentioned) but he has slimmed down & definitely has better hop (pre-game observation).

Pendo is behind (surgeries) & needs to catch up (he will).

Brown I felt played within himself.

Daye will not be blocked.

Gray is not shy. I think he'll be a solid sub.

Sacre was slow in that once he got the ball, he gathered. Don't remember the ball ever coming back out. But he did hit a couple of hooks OVER Will.

Davis not much on offense but he & Kuso got a lot of boards (1st half). Will fill a role.

Will should redshirt. Couldn't finish at all. Stronger, but still a long way to go. He could fill a role on defense but feel it will be a waste of eligibility.

Team: way too many turnovers but some of that has to do with practice cheaters (knowing where the ball is going). This team will rebound way better & swat a lot of shots. If Kuso can handle major minutes (fouls) & Josh can play the 4, look out.

sittingon50
10-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Oops, 40 minutes later & I realize that what I was thinking & typing did not jive (more of that unprotected text I was reading about earlier?).

Meant to say Bouldin WAS NOT shooting well (but who was).

lawzag
10-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree with ZagNative's comments at the bottom of the last page & don't have too much to add:
1) Pargo seems to have really brought "fun" back into the bkb team, which is something that was definitely missing last year, I liked that.
2) Micah was hands down the #1 stud at the scrimmage, his shots went in from anywhere on the court & he was totally cool & in control when he had the ball.
3) Daye has the shooting touch, has some growing to do this year, but will definitely have moments of total brilliance through the year
4) Matt couldn't get the brick through the net for the life of him, but he was playing PG & had some excellent passes
5) Kuso played very aggressively, but much more "in control" than last year. Hope that continues.

All in all - A TOTAL BLAST. Wish you all could have been there.

BobZag
10-28-2007, 10:10 AM

I'll be there with some friends on here. :) See ya!

ZaggyStardust
10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
KREM.COM has a whole section of highlights up including a front view of the Soulja Boy dance. Worth checking out!

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2_102707_guscrimmage.1b23ed10b.html

ZagNative
10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Zaggystardust, thanks for pointing us to the KRem2 site! Fun stuff!

Proudzagmom
10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for sharing your photos, links, insights, and videos. There were too many reasons to keep us home this weekend, but I REALLY wanted to be there! All of your info from this fun event gave me even more reason to be excited for the upcoming season. Would have been fun to meet many of you. Someday. . .

MacZag
10-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Again, many thanks for the link to KREM. The video clips were great. Looked like lots of fun there for fans and team alike. I can't wait for the season to start!

ZagNative
10-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Kraziness in the Kennel was our opportunity to show this team that WE LOVE THEM! And I think they love us, too!

Austin's dance after his dunk was GREAT! And what about those long arms?!!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Austin%20Daye/KrazinessintheKennel-AustinDayewier.jpg

Robzagnut
10-29-2007, 08:51 AM
My boys and I had a great time Friday night. They got to fill up on popcorn, pretzels and cotton candy. Oh yeah, there was a game too.

I was impressed the most with Sacre. He banged early and often, was posting up and getting his shot off and went to the line a lot. Led his team early on with 6 points. He has a nice jump hook and a soft touch. I can’t wait to see his game after a full season of development. After being spoiled by two seasons of Batista’s post moves and then having hardly any last year it was great to see a 7 footer willing and able to mix it up inside. He should work a lot on his free throw shooting, because he is going to be living on the line.

Kuso went out early with a hit to the head and missed the first 4-5 minutes, but played like a man on a mission and had 16 points in the first half. Pure hustle and energy. Got set up a number of times by some great dishes from Bouldin. I was thinking that his playing time is going to get taken away by Sacre and Davis, but Kuso’s defense, rebounding and hustle will bring a spark every time he’s on the court. A 6' 9" version of Errol Knight.

Austin Daye has a couple of ‘wiggle’ moves where he can get off his shot any time he wants. He has STAR written all over him and my prediction is that he can have the next ‘Morrison’ effect for GU where recruits want to come to GU and be the next Daye. I was surprised at how smooth he moves. I don’t think Tayshaun Prince when I see him, I think a thin Bernard King.

Will Foster really bulked up. He had a hard time finishing around the basket and seemed frustrated that his shots weren’t falling. Some of them could have easily fallen next time. I love watching him block shots. He isn’t a lumbering, slow Mark Eaton type of player. Red shirt? I hope so. With an extra year to work on his inside game and his passing from the post, GU will be set at the 5 spot with him and Sacre for the next three years. If he does red shirt I bet he sets the GU record for blocked shots in a season and a career.

Gray is a shooter. He looks comfortable spotting up from anywhere. I see him filling the ‘Microwave’ role where he supplies instant offense the moment he steps on the court. He wasn’t shy about letting fly no matter where he was on the court. His stroke looks so pure. I’m excited about this kid and the upside of the three new freshmen is thru the roof.

Micah Downs was hitting them from all over. If any player is going to average 20 points a game this year it will be Downs. Not much to say about Pargo, Pendo or Bouldin. Davis and Brown did not stand out.

This team has so many offensive weapons. With the driving ability of Pargo and Bouldin coupled with the spot up ability of Heytvelt, Downs, Daye, Pendo and Gray this is a dangerous offensive team. Throw in the hustle and defensive ability of Kuso, Pendo and Gurganious and you have a team that is going to dominate the WCC. St. Marys? Pssssshaw! With this talent GU will finish the WCC 14-0. Anything less than an Elite 8 and I’m going to be bummed.

trizag
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/Kraziness%20in%20the%20Kennel%202007/P1000187.jpg

Hey look---to the right of the shot clock, just behind the asian girl with the hat - its trizag and his son. :D
Great time! Im most excited for Grey. Everyone's said it already --agile, quick, great stroke and very confident. His hands are up and always ready. I wouldnt be suprised if he takes a few of Matt's minutes.

Hoopmeister
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted. It's great to see so many familiar people positing again (in case you haven't heard, I'm Reborn...lol). Great job by everyone.

Most pleasant surprise: Kuso catching the ball and hitting free throws.

Next best surprise: Matt Bouldin trimming down, and that he's a lot quicker. That will become a huge factor defensively for him. His poor shooting is not a surprise. Wasn't it a problem this summer? But his tremendous ability to rip apart an opponent with his lazer passing will be something we will need from him. His passing will be more important then his shooting. His new quickness will also help him penetrate and kick. That will become a factor because we DO HAVE a host of players who will be able to knock down 3's.

What I wasn't all that surprised about: Gray. I saw him play in Yakima at the state tournament when he was a Sophmore. As I've stated here on the board a number of times, he has always reminded me of Ray Allen. I was discribed as nuts (well actually many times I guess). It's good to see that he's so confident. I know he had a poor showing at the State Finals last year. But that was not his best showing was it. I've believed from the very beginning that he'd one day be someone special. I still believe that. He has a long way to go, but I also think he's a very humble person and will be right sized at all times. He's a Freshman, and he'll contribute some positive things this year. But as we know, Freshman are Freshman in Few's design of things.

I also was not surprised by Kuso's good outing. If he can catch the ball, he will score.