PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio-GU-SMC (a few thoughts I recall)

Section 116
01-18-2018, 08:00 PM
I wish I had better recall on Brian Michaelson's post game radio comments. His thoughtful analysis was I thought spot on. A couple points I do recall, that final pass from Krebs into Landale for the last bucket was an outstanding pass, J3 was right where he was supposed to be and only a perfect pass and a finisher like Landale would have converted that bucket. I think Michaelson said SMC had but one TO in the second half, but the Zags had only two.

Michaelson noted he could not figure out why the Gaels were not a ranked team coming in because the GU coaching staff knew better. It probably had to do, as always with the Gaels refusal to play an better OOC schedule and this year their apparent refusal to even leave the state. Michaelson said Hermanson has improved his game tremendously over the past year with his ability to drive to the hoop after being shut off outside, something that was not a very good part of his game up until now.

Michelson also noted a sequence where the Zags had two stops on close in SMC shots only to have Landale grab the rebound and kick it out for a three. Morrsion noted this was a game where you can look at the stats and not find anything of real significance to point to and say this is what cost GU the game, other than perhaps a relatively poor shooting night from three for GU, a paltry 27% @ 6-22. He also noted SMC shot as they have all season in a nation leading FG percentage but they had a poor free throw night @ 6-12.

That is about all I can recall, other than Hudson and Morrison both noted this was about as high a level college basketball game as you will see anywhere in the nation, as there were I believe 21 lead changes and I forget how many ties and 8 turnovers for SMC and only 5 for GU. That's it for recall!

Zags11
01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Thank you, like always.

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 08:28 PM
I wish I had better recall on Brian Michaelson's post game radio comments. His thoughtful analysis was I thought spot on. A couple points I do recall, that final pass from Krebs into Landale for the last bucket was an outstanding pass, J3 was right where he was supposed to be and only a perfect pass and a finisher like Landale would have converted that bucket. I think Michaelson said SMC had but one TO in the second half, but the Zags had only two. Michaelson noted he could not figure out why the Gaels were not a ranked team coming in because the GU coaching staff knew better. It probably had to do, as always with the Gaels refusal to play an better OOC schedule and this year their apparent refusal to even leave the state. Michaelson said Hermanson has improved his game tremendously over the past year with his ability to drive to the hoop after being shut off outside, something that was not a very good part of his game up until now. Michelson also noted a sequence where the Zags had two stops on close in SMC shots only to have Landale grab the rebound and kick it out for a three. Morrsion noted this was a game where you can look at the stats and not find anything of real significance to point to and say this is what cost GU the game, other than perhaps a relatively poor shooting night from three for GU, a paltry 27% @ 6-22. He also noted SMC shot as they have all season in a nation leading FG percentage but they had a poor free throw night @ 6-12. That is about all I can recall, other than Hudson and Morrison both noted this was about as high a level college basketball game as you will see anywhere in the nation, as there were I believe 21 lead changes and I forget how many ties and 8 turnovers for SMC and only 5 for GU. That's it for recall!

For the first time in a long time I was really disappointed with the postgame comments. It was all spin. B-Mike was falling all overhimself trying to manually pleasure the SMC team. Not sure if that's a psychology thing for his team or what, but a lot of what he said didn't make any damn sense. We turned them over 7 times in the 1st half!

edit: Also, thank you for posting it for those that couldn't catch it on the radio.

Mantua
01-18-2018, 09:41 PM
For the first time in a long time I was really disappointed with the postgame comments. It was all spin. B-Mike was falling all overhimself trying to manually pleasure the SMC team. Not sure if that's a psychology thing for his team or what, but a lot of what he said didn't make any damn sense. We turned them over 7 times in the 1st half!

edit: Also, thank you for posting it for those that couldn't catch it on the radio.

+1

CDC84
01-19-2018, 12:23 AM
The fact that SMC has a loss to a team that is ranked at #148 at kenpom.com (WSU), along with their weak non-con schedule, has not helped their AP ranking. The Georgia loss is not looking as bad (#58 in the RPI). Obviously, they will be ranked next week. I also think that many writers before this game felt that SMC might've been a paper tiger due to their defensive stats. They were really bad going into this game.

Reborn
01-19-2018, 07:40 AM
That pass from Naar to Landale was not a difficult pass at all, and in fact in was an easy pass and Naar, rightly so made it look easy. First, no one was guarding Naar that closely to make him make a difficult pass. At second, no one was helping behind Landale. If you are going to front Landale, or any good center, you must have someone helping behind them. Gonzaga's problem all night long on defense was the fact they players had no help at all. This fact is the difference this year. GU has no rim protectors when guards, or anyone else, penetrate. I will say that Rui is one player who's doing a pretty good job blocking shots when guards penetrate.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
That pass from Naar to Landale was not a difficult pass at all, and in fact in was an easy pass and Naar, rightly so made it look easy. First, no one was guarding Naar that closely to make him make a difficult pass At second, no one was helping behind Landale. If you are going to front Landale, or any good center, you must have someone helping behind them. Gonzaga's problem all night long on defense was the fact they players had no help at all. This fact is the difference this year. GU has no rim protectors when guards, or anyone else, penetrate. I will say that Rui is one player who's doing a pretty good job blocking shots when guards penetrate.

Not true...Perkins was guarding Naar tightly right up until Hermanson set a moving screen and picked him off. SMC sets moving screens constantly the same way West VA handchecks constantly...just do it consistently and often and dare the refs to call it every time. They won’t and didn’t. Rewatch that play Reborn; should’ve been a foul on Hermanson and Zags ball instead of Landale layup.

Reborn
01-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Not true...Perkins was guarding Naar tightly right up until Hermanson set a moving screen and picked him off. SMC sets moving screens constantly the same way West VA handchecks constantly...just do it consistently and often and dare the refs to call it every time. They won’t and didn’t. Rewatch that play Reborn; should’ve been a foul on Hermanson and Zags ball instead of Landale layup.

I did rewatch the game and did see that pick. Zags definitely did not get the calls that St Mary's got. I also felt Perkins was fouled on his last 3 pt attempt. I was merely referring to the pass that Naar made. It was NOT a tough pass. Any good guard can make that pass with ease. And imo it's also true that when fronting a very good post player who knows how to seal his defender off, will score every time if there is no help on the weak side.

Zags11
01-19-2018, 08:42 AM
I did rewatch the game and did see that pick. Zags definitely did not get the calls that St Mary's got. I also felt Perkins was fouled on his last 3 pt attempt. I was merely referring to the pass that Naar made. It was NOT a tough pass. Any good guard can make that pass with ease. And imo it's also true that when fronting a very good post player who knows how to seal his defender off, will score every time if there is no help on the weak side.

Agree. It was a good pass but not a hard pass IMO.

509er
01-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Did anyone catch the post post game show after Adam and Hudson? Wow.

My Mom told me not to say anything if I didn’t have something good to say so the rest of this post will be blank.

Hoopaholic
01-19-2018, 09:06 AM
That pass from Naar to Landale was not a difficult pass at all, and in fact in was an easy pass and Naar, rightly so made it look easy. First, no one was guarding Naar that closely to make him make a difficult pass. At second, no one was helping behind Landale. If you are going to front Landale, or any good center, you must have someone helping behind them. Gonzaga's problem all night long on defense was the fact they players had no help at all. This fact is the difference this year. GU has no rim protectors when guards, or anyone else, penetrate. I will say that Rui is one player who's doing a pretty good job blocking shots when guards penetrate.
It was rui weakside that failed to rotate deep enough to take away the lib

sideshow06
01-19-2018, 09:18 AM

The pass was from Krebs, not Naar.

ZAG 4 LIFE
01-19-2018, 10:05 AM
It's one thing to front a great post player on the block... but when he walks you out towards the wing, he
is creating more space for the passer to throw over the top. We used to teach front the post on the block if necessary,
but once he moves a step or a couple of steps off the block, the post defender should immediately pivot and play
behind the post player. You've already taken him off of his preferred spot... and Landale shooting a 10 foot shot over a hand,
is certainly more difficult than allowing a layup with the defender on the wrong side. Better ball pressure on the
passer would certainly help too.

Helpside defenders were erased because Randy smartly vacated the opposite wing to the above the 3 point line,
and because SMC knocks down those open 3's with ease, it puts the helpside defender in a tough spot.

Zagceo
01-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Post game radio Morrison felt the momentum changed when Zags had lead by 7 14 min remaining and Josh missed a shot and Tillie rebounded it and threw it away and proceeded to foul Krebs on 3 pt shot...Morrison said that play energized SMC

Section 116
01-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Good addition Zagceo, that is a point I did not recall and I thought it rather important at the time. Glad you posted this!

dhozagfan08
01-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Post game radio Morrison felt the momentum changed when Zags had lead by 7 14 min remaining and Josh missed a shot and Tillie rebounded it and threw it away and proceeded to foul Krebs on 3 pt shot...Morrison said that play energized SMC

There have been a lot of those plays recently. Perkins did the same thing off of a missed 3, and I think he did it in the SF game after a turnover. I would have thought that would have been coached out of them by now. Let the last play go and move on. Speaking of that, I think they hit an easy 3 in a 4 on 5 situation when perkins didn't get back because he was milking what he thought was a foul.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-19-2018, 12:05 PM
The pass was from Krebs, not Naar.

The salient point being that the pass was made by the guy who got wide open to make the easy lob entry pass because an illegal, moving screen literally knocked Perkins off his feet.

Zagceo
01-19-2018, 12:38 PM
The salient point being that the pass was made by the guy who got wide open to make the easy lob entry pass because an illegal, moving screen literally knocked Perkins off his feet.

watched it again....Hermanson was bumped by Jones just prior to setting screen and ended up leaning into the screen and Perkins didn't see it coming ...Jones made the switch but anticipated Krebs moving toward baseline and got out of position allowing the pass..all happened fast and was executed perfectly....including Naar being positioned 7 feet BEYOND the arc causing to much space for Rui to help backside.

50 sec mark is the play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSyj72C5UxU

ZagsGoZags
01-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Section 116 thanks a million for your contribution to the board. Always informative, usually with insights not heard or read elsewhere.

Ezag
01-19-2018, 02:00 PM
SMC is not that good

Zagceo
01-19-2018, 02:11 PM
There have been a lot of those plays recently. Perkins did the same thing off of a missed 3, and I think he did it in the SF game after a turnover. I would have thought that would have been coached out of them by now. Let the last play go and move on. Speaking of that, I think they hit an easy 3 in a 4 on 5 situation when perkins didn't get back because he was milking what he thought was a foul.

just rewatched second half...Perkins really let the Refs get into his head..needed to focus on the next play..let coaches work the refs

sittingon50
01-19-2018, 03:11 PM
SMC is not that good

That disappoints me.

Zagger
01-20-2018, 05:57 AM

The refs were bad at not calling moving screens against SMC. I happen to like SMC, somewhat anyway, but really dislike the moving screens. I greatly appreciate fairly played BB and refs that make sure it is. That being said ..... Zags lost due to poor 3 point shooting. I was at the game with a really good view and IMHO the Zags, especially Perkins and Norvell, passed up some OK 3-point possibilities. The team seemed reluctant to shoot the 3 overall. At least that's how it seemed to me. Apart from the moving screens by SMC and 3 point shooting by GU it was a pretty good game. I sure hope the Zags can return the favor of beating SMC in Moraga on 2/10.