PDA

View Full Version : 3 point defense

Zags11
01-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Its atrocious again. #294 rank before SMC came in and shot 62% from 3 against us.

It has to be fixed. Unfortunately, we are halfway through the year. It is the Achilles heal again for the zags.

Needs to be fixed.

I know 1 star thread already.

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Its atrocious again. #294 rank before SMC came in and shot 62% from 3 against us.

It has to be fixed. Unfortunately, we are halfway through the year. It is the Achilles heal again for the zags.

Needs to be fixed.

I know 1 star thread already.

It’s just terrible. Wide open looks. Some we are not even close to run at. Got burned big time tonight

Zags11
01-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Can't let them shoot 8-13 from 3 for 62%. If this was just one game, then I'd be like whatever. However the 3pt defense this year is really bad.

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Can't let them shoot 8-13 from 3 for 62%. If this was just one game, then I'd be like whatever. However the 3pt defense this year is really bad.

Yep...this has been ongoing. Frustrating

dhozagfan08
01-18-2018, 09:19 PM
At one point perkins was basically in the restricted circle under the hoop, not even helping with a double team or anything, as his guy was standing on the 3 point line. And of course he couldn't make it back before his man got the shot up. I just don't get it.

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 09:22 PM
At one point perkins was basically in the restricted circle under the hoop, not even helping with a double team or anything, as his guy was standing on the 3 point line. And of course he couldn't make it back before his man got the shot up. I just don't get it.

That was the "threat" of a double against Jock. \_(ツ)_/

Zags11
01-19-2018, 09:40 AM
One star!

Stay consistent GU board!

gonzagafan62
01-19-2018, 09:42 AM
I'm getting tired of the one star crap. Some of you are really immature here.

Zags11
01-19-2018, 09:49 AM
What can the team do to fix the 3pt d? Its a few thing unfortunately but what can he do? Change d plan? Anyone with honest thoughts?

hooter73
01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
How were we so good at it last year and so bad at it just one year removed?

Trick question.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 10:49 AM
What can the team do to fix the 3pt d? Its a few thing unfortunately but what can he do? Change d plan? Anyone with honest thoughts?

More zone and zone press?

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 10:54 AM
How were we so good at it last year and so bad at it just one year removed?

Trick question.

I know a trick question when I see it. Unfair IMO to compare last year's team to this year. Case in point: the first two coming off the bench last year were an eventual lottery pick and one of the best sixth men in the country.

This year we have an emerging star in Rui, and a freshman whose ankle injury has really set back his development.

Josh is in a midseason funk, and it's nearing the dog days of February, i.e. the grind of the WCC where less than half of the games are competitive.

tinfoilzag
01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
It's system and personnel.

GU consistently ranks very high in opponents 2 pt % shooting. This is based on system. When we have a strong enough presence inside defensively, our 3 pt defense improves. GU's gets very skilled guards; being a defensive stopper is not why you are recruited. Jeremy Jones is a excellent 3 pt defender, he didn't see the floor last night.

Offense will always be secondary to defense at W. Virginia, defense will always be secondary to offense at GU.

MDABE80
01-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Tinfoil.it's not a priority with Few or others. Kids like the high powered big scoring offense. Somebody has to make the decision that DEFENSE is about all you can rely on this time of the year. 3 pt shooting fails.it always does. We have that stop and pop offense.....see what it gets ya? It's not a way to manage a team....just isn't! But Tin, I always have harped on defense because it controls tempo and if done properly it wins games even on the worst shooting nights. n I guess the best evidence is last years team but even more so, check out Bennett's results at WSU and now Virginia. He never has the best offenses but he's always tough on defense . AND this is why he's always lingering in the top 1-15. We are in the last 1/3 of the regular season when other teams have improved. We are still good but against a great team, we just don't defend well and we'll lose more if this continues. Basic basketball.....hands up and stay between your guy and the hoop..can't be trailing some kid around. You have to run HIM. Not the other way around.
Expect more losses if somebody doesn't wake up. Defense wins games.....especially this time of the year.

tinfoilzag
01-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Tinfoil.it's not a priority with Few or others. Kids like the high powered big scoring offense. Somebody has to make the decision that DEFENSE is about all you can rely on this time of the year. 3 pt shooting fails.it always does. We have that stop and pop offense.....see what it gets ya? It's not a way to manage a team....just isn't! But Tin, I always have harped on defense because it controls tempo and if done properly it wins games even on the worst shooting nights. n I guess the best evidence is last years team but even more so, check out Bennett's results at WSU and now Virginia. He never has the best offenses but he's always tough on defense . AND this is why he's always lingering in the top 1-15. We are in the last 1/3 of the regular season when other teams have improved. We are still good but against a great team, we just don't defend well and we'll lose more if this continues. Basic basketball.....hands up and stay between your guy and the hoop..can't be trailing some kid around. You have to run HIM. Not the other way around.
Expect more losses if somebody doesn't wake up. Defense wins games.....especially this time of the year.

I agree with what you are saying. I think it's rooted in our team's philosophy. Few loves tough defense, he loves offense more. We are going to lose some because of off nights offensively but I don't see it changing because it works for our program. Complete teams make the final 4 and GU will focus on getting the offense to a high level first and then see if it can get the D up to the same level. That seems to be our plan.

I think the only time we'll see great D and GU is in a situation like last year where we can assemble a group of players that happen to have athleticism and attitude to play D while being great offensive players.

I'm not surprised anymore by our team's inability to defend the 3, score on the last possession of a half, or maintain a large lead. For a multitude of reasons, these deficiencies are a part of the team. You take the good with the bad and the good has been really good for a long time.